PDA

View Full Version : Cdn TV Makes Comeback!!

Chemical
11-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Do you watch television shows from Canada?

http://dvshop.ca/dvcafe/canada/canseries.html

What are your general impressions of CDN TV?

-------

I happen to be a large fan of recent Canadian television.

Rent-A-Goalie, Trailer Park Boys, The L World, Corner Gas, Smallville, Dead Like Me...

I think the humour seems to be a required taste, but I like the "wah wah wah" punchyness of it. Dead Like Me is just spectacular though, it's witty and smarmy and just the right amount of disturbing

We also seem to have a huge Sci-Fi market...

<b>EDIT</b>
The original post...

Seriously.

I'm impressed with the Canadian televeision shows that have been produced lately.

Trailer Park Boys, Rent-a-Goalie, Corner Gas, This is Wonderland, Dead Like Me, Puppets Who Kill, Smallville, The L World...

Finally a portfolio to be proud of.

I immediately regreted this post.
But felt obligated to re-post it on account Yams actually replied.

Yamaneko
11-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Too bad television rots your brain into a fine paste. Do you guys even have a nuke? I mean come on. You're a no one on the global stage if you can't even murder on a mass scale. Television? We did that sixty years ago. Well actually the Brits did, but they just know to keep their mouths shut about it.

Leeza
11-23-2006, 07:12 AM
This belongs in The Lounge. *moves*

Dead Like Me was excellent while it lasted. Smallville is excellent. Corner Gas is okay. There is some very good Canadian television, but more that is not.

Yamaneko
11-23-2006, 07:23 AM
I have to answer the question now. :(

Of the shows listed, I only watched the X-Files, but that's been so long. I don't watch much TV anymore.

Paro
11-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Welcome to my world my friend! canadian tv is awesome. Trailer Park Boys is one of the best shows to come out of canada!

They would tour around Vanvouver and visit bar's and host local radio shows.

It's cool.

Leeza
11-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Oh! I didn't click on the link for my first post! I've forgotten about a lot of those shows and I didn't realize that some of those were Canadian. Of the shows on the list, I've watched all of these. All good.

Andromeda
Black Harbour
Cold Squad (the first two seasons)
Corner Gas
Da Vincis Inquest
Dead Like Me
Dead Zone
Forever Knight
Highlander
The Hitchhiker
MacGyver
Millenium
Mutant X
The Outer Limits
Smallville
Stargate
Tru Calling
X-Files

Regenisis isn't on the list, but I guess it's too new.

Giga Guess
11-23-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm loving this. Canadian Content is becoming...NOT crap! Before I answer, what qualifies as "Canadian" programming? Produced in Canada, or just filmed here?

Roto13
11-23-2006, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't call any show Canadian unless it was produced in Canada. Come on. The X-Files is a Fox show. It's as Canadian as The OC.

Of all of the actual Canadian shows I've seen, the only ones I bothered to watch more than once are The Rick Mercer Report, This Hour has 22 Minutes, and Made in Canada (see a theme?). I haven't watched any of them in a while.

White Raven
11-23-2006, 02:25 PM
That list is rather misleading, cause shows made in Canada locations are not true Canadian shows. Here's my list of real Canadian shows that I've watched throughout my life (starting in my kid years and going to the present):

~Degrassi Jr. High
~Romper Room
~Polkadot Door
~Mr. Dressup
~Train 48
~Degrassi Jr. High - The Next Generation (Kevin Smith loves this show and appears often)
~Kids in the Hall
~The Red Green Show
~Made in Canada
~This Hour Has 22 Minutes (Only up to the point where Rick Mercer, Mary Walsh and Greg Thomey were still there)
~Royal Canadian Air Farce
~The Nature of Things with David Suzuki
~Corner Gas
~Trailer Park Boys
~Hockey Night in Canada

That's all I can think of right now. Being a kid I grew up without cable TV so I was "forced" to watch only the Canadian stations.

:)

Giga Guess
11-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't call any show Canadian unless it was produced in Canada. Come on. The X-Files is a Fox show. It's as Canadian as The OC.

Of all of the actual Canadian shows I've seen, the only ones I bothered to watch more than once are The Rick Mercer Report, This Hour has 22 Minutes, and Made in Canada (see a theme?). I haven't watched any of them in a while.

That's the funny thing...Canadian content used to (And still might) go by ANY reference to Canada. Filmed in Canada, has a Canadian actor...anything. This was why I asked my question.

Chemical
11-23-2006, 08:59 PM
I believe a Canadian show is filmed in Canada. The fact that X-Files doesn't exude "Canadianess" doesn't mean its not Canadian.

I'm Canadian and I highly doubt I'm stereotypically Canadian... to say that X-Files isn't Canadian because it doesn't look Canadian somehow denotes there's this particular way all Canadian TV must look... but frankly Canadian produced television is diverse in style and content because we're made of a diverse amount of people.

The great part of Canada is that you can be American, come to Canada and be Canadian. There's no assimilation, it's more of an integration about what your history of experiences can add to the "Canadian Mosaic."

And since our portfolio is so shotty we shouldn't kick a gift horse in the mouth ;)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-23-2006, 09:01 PM
I believe a Canadian show is filmed in Canada. The fact that X-Files doesn't exude "Canadianess" doesn't mean its not Canadian.No, but the fact that its creator and foremost actors are American does.

Chemical
11-23-2006, 09:17 PM
No, but the fact that its creator and foremost actors are American does.

Semantics.

(David Decovney is Canadian; script writers Canadian; filmographers Canadian; physical environment Canadian)

crazybayman
11-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Its all about Showcase. Canadian TV at its best :p . Trailer Park Boys is the only show I make it a point to watch.

Then there's the shows that come on after, like the already mentioned Rent-A-Goalie, and Billable Hours. What I love about Billable Hours is that I can relate first hand to the humour associated with working in an office job.

And then there's Kenny vs. Spenny. Brilliant.

Another one is "Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia". Although I'm not sure if it actually is Canadian. Hilarious, in any case.

Shoeberto
11-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I think shows being produced by American companies and airing initially in America kind of disqualifies it as a Canadian show.

I think the only Canadian-produced show I've seen has been The Red Green Show, which gets some :up:s from me.

crazybayman
11-23-2006, 09:30 PM
If they don't find ya handsome, at least they'll find ya handy!.:p

White Raven
11-24-2006, 12:16 AM
I think the only Canadian-produced show I've seen has been The Red Green Show, which gets some :up:s from me.

I went to 5 tapings of the show including the series finale last year.

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-24-2006, 12:23 AM
My parents love Trailer Park Boys, I cannot stand it. Though some of those shows I do watch on rare occasion. Like This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Air Farce, etc...Nikita was a good show. Wasn't Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, a Canadian show also?

Chemical
11-24-2006, 02:39 AM
My parents love Trailer Park Boys, I cannot stand it. Though some of those shows I do watch on rare occasion. Like This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Air Farce, etc...Nikita was a good show. Wasn't Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, a Canadian show also?

USA/CANADA

Apparently David Carradine is crazy, drunk.

And I've been thinking that Canada and America can share ownership of a television series. It'll be like the bastard child of North America.

Moon Rabbits
11-24-2006, 03:15 AM
MacGyver

Being Canadian I watch alot of Canadian TV.

I really like DaVinci's Inquest/City Hall, Dead Like Me, This Hour as 22 Minutes, The Nature of Things, The Hour and Trailer Park Boys. MacGyver, too, but I only now just discovered it was Canadian.

Although I think Corner Gas sucks.

Araciel
11-24-2006, 08:56 AM
if you think canadian tv is good you haven't watched it. watch cbc for more than an hour ...i dare you... the best show on cbc is the simpsons...and we all know how canadian that is.

Slothy
11-24-2006, 11:35 AM
if you think canadian tv is good you haven't watched it. watch cbc for more than an hour ...i dare you... the best show on cbc is the simpsons...and we all know how canadian that is.

CBC has always sucked, thankfully it's not indicative of Canadian TV at all. I personally consider any show made in Canada to be Canadian. Even if it was created by an American or two, if it's made here then production crews, possibly the writers, and most likely a huge chunk of the cast will be Canadian. So really, when we can lay claim to the best show on TV (Battlestar Galactica), as well as many others, it's tough to say Canadian TV sucks.

White Raven
11-24-2006, 03:42 PM

Apparently you don't watch it on Saturday night when the best Canadian show is on:

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA! :cool:

crazybayman
11-24-2006, 08:38 PM

Apparently you don't watch it on Saturday night when the best Canadian show is on:

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA! :cool:

Quoted for truth. :up:

Best commentator of any sport ever: Bob Cole, of Hockey Night In Canada :D

However, other than that, I can't say I watch CBC. North of 60 just never ever cut it for me. :greenie: