PDA

View Full Version : Free Gift Sites

GooeyToast
11-24-2006, 03:31 AM
Has anyone used them before (such as FreePay, Trainn, GiftFiesta, etc)? If so, how did it work out?

You see, I am attempting to obtain a Wii off one of these sites, and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me out by going to this link and signing up for one offer, which at most would cost a few dollars (and can be canceled upon purchase). I need 5 referrals in order to get the Wii. If someone were to need a referral as well, I would be willing to help out.

http://www.eyesonff.com/forums

Please, don't take this as advertising, as there is a topic at hand. Just trying to get some help from my fellow EoFFers :)

Levian
11-24-2006, 06:31 AM
I'm sorry but we don't allow it for everyone else, so I don't think we should allow it for you either.

This thread does have a topic, so I'll leave it open.

Cipher
11-24-2006, 08:11 AM
While I personally wasn't the one to do the offer thing, I do have a friend that did. First he tried it with this company that was giving out Free PSPs, only to find that it was DOA. The company was being a real bastard about exchanging, too.

Conversely, he also did an offer for a free iPod, and that one worked out flawlessly. Good luck trying to find people willing to take a gamble on it, though... and if someone does decide to help you out, you might want to advise them to use one of those pre-paid credit cards in lieu of their regular one. Not that I've heard of a report for identity theft, but you can't be too careful these days.

In the words of the Captain, Take Care.

Sylvie
11-24-2006, 08:15 AM
How do these things work, exactly?

Cipher
11-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Basically, you go to the site of the people offering the free item in question. They'll have you sign up for a free trial of some sort... maybe a 30 day trial of eFax or a subscription to Blockbuster video online.

Then they give you a special referral link that you're supposed to give to other people to try and get them to sign up for an offer too. Some sites require you sign up at least 5, others need you to have 18 or 24. It depends on what you want and what their terms are.

After that, they verify that the people you signed up are legit or whatever and supposedly if it all checks out you'll get your free item.

There was a link on this, but I can't remember where... =/

Sylvie
11-24-2006, 08:37 AM
How the heck is it free? Do people have to pay when they click the link or something?

Cipher
11-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Not usually, no. But it's free because these free item sites are run by Advertising companies, and they get big $$$ for those referrals you're ferreting out for them.

Let's say for instance you want a Macbook (like I do!). A Macbook costs, on average, 2000 US Dollars. You need 18 referrals from the site to get the free laptop. For every referral that you snag for that free laptop site, they get paid something like 750 bucks. 750 x 18 = 13,500 smackeroos... more than enough to pay for your laptop.

Now add into that the bunches of people that can't get their 18. Say, Consumer Bob is only able to get about 10 before he ends up giving up on the whole deal. That means that the free item site ends up making 7,500 bucks of of Bob's referral work without having to pay him back. 7,500 bucks, scot-free.

So yeah, that's how it works.

Oh and GooeyToast: Sorry I Hijacked Your Thread, hope I'm answering this questions to your satisfaction. :D