PDA

View Full Version : ITT we talk about the Final Boss (Lots 'o' Spoilers)

Timerk
11-24-2006, 04:07 AM
I finished the main storyline today, so I wanted to post some thoughts about the final boss, and the storyline in general, so here it is. I am just going to put this whole baby in spoiler tags just to avoid ticking people off, but I wanted you to know what was in there.

So, we finally reach the last set of boss battles, what we have been working for all this time, and who do we find...

Not Dr. Cid, who was the main mover behind the whole Nethacite deal (and it doesn't matter that he turned to vapor at Pharos, Gabranth made it out alive, and he didn't have a godling watching over him.)

Not Gabranth, who killed Ashe's father, Vaan's brother, and planned to have his twin brother imprisoned for years.

Not even Larsa, because that would have been unexpected and cool.

No, we get Vayne....

?

You know, the guy who made a couple of cameo appearences in cut scenes, and whose big crime up to this point had been killing the evil emperor of Arcadia.

Kind of a letdown :(.

It is not that I don't appreciate his potential to be evil, what with his long hair and all, but the writers never really bothered developing him into anything worth getting worked up about. That is the big problem, no one was ever really built up as the big bad, not like Sephi or Sin, anyway. Dr. Cid would have been a good choice, but I actually liked the way his story was wrapped up. Larsa would have been fine too, but again, it is hard to have a plot twist when there isn't really much of a plot.

Which brings us to the only guy who would have really made an acceptable final boss: Gabranth.

I squealed at joy when he showed up at the Pharos, because it was the first time since the Ozmone Plains that Vaan acknowledged why he was on the quest in the first place. Gabranth was best setup as the main advisary of Ashe, Vaan, and Basch, and I don't think it would have been that hard for him to do something horrible to Fran or Basch (Panelo is there because of Vaan). Maybe he could have been the one who got Fran's sister possesed, and instead of living in the Henne Mines, she dies. You get the point.

How cool would it have been to fight Vayne first on the Bahamut, then have Gabby jump down to kill him and wound Larsa, then you fight Gabby regular once, and in a super form once, and call it a day? Maybe he could have conjured up an awesome Esper or something if you want a three part battle. Then, at the end, he reverts to normal and Larsa kills him, that would be it. So much better than Vayne, who I almost forgot was even in the story until one of those last FMV's.

Like I said, FF XIII spent so little time on characterization, it would have been really hard for anyone to be a good villian, but Gabranth in his Vader outfit would have been the best choice. Other than Cid, he was the only one of the final bosses who really got to me, plus his screaming at Basch throughout the whole battle was awesome (btw, I love how they gave the bosses lines to say during the fight, it makes everything more real.)

A bit on the rest of the ending: I was ok with most of it, but it was a little too fairy tale in places. The whole Ashe/Balthier thing was kind of cool, but again, since they never developed the relationship during the game, it makes it hard for them to pay it off on at the end. I didn't like Penelo's new look, but it was nice to see they put in a little effort. I also didn't like how she narrated the ending, I guess I would have liked to hear people like Basch and Fran tell their story, but I guess they didn't really matter much.

Don't give me wrong, I loved the game, but the whole 'we don't have a real story or characters thing' really came home to roost in the end, especially when Mr. Unknown Vayne turns into a....robo-chicken?

Ugh.

abrojtm
11-24-2006, 06:34 AM
That's just the problem with this game, none of the characters get any development. Balthier probably had the most, followed closely by random NPC walking the streets. Hell, Ktjn had more development than the characters if you do her little sidequest.
At least the last boss looked cool and had some crazy specials.

VeloZer0
11-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Um... Do we have to mark spoilers in a thread like this?

First of all, I was HORRIBLY disappointed in how Vayne and Cid ended up. After Gyruveygan it almost looked like they were the good guys and you were just pawns of the Occurian. How cool would the game had been if you finally killed Vayne and found out how he was working against the Occurian and then realized he was on the right side and you were on the wrong, leading to a conflict with the Occurian and a worthwhile plot.

Also, why the hell is Venat helping Vayne become a Dynast King? Given the game we have NO reason for this motivation. All we know is that he wants to break humanity free from the other Occurian and then all of a sudden he is helping Vayne become an insanely powerful cyborg. And then all the Occurian are left in Gyruveygan and since the Sun Cryst is destroyed we will never hear from them again...right...

In short, Vayne as the last boss was ridiculous. Then again, Bahamut as the last dungeon is also stupid. The epic dungeon is stopping an air fortress from fighting a battle for one kingdom, and it looked like it was losing the fight anyways?

Dell
11-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Um... Do we have to mark spoilers in a thread like this?

First of all, I was HORRIBLY disappointed in how Vayne and Cid ended up. After Gyruveygan it almost looked like they were the good guys and you were just pawns of the Occurian. How cool would the game had been if you finally killed Vayne and found out how he was working against the Occurian and then realized he was on the right side and you were on the wrong, leading to a conflict with the Occurian and a worthwhile plot.

Also, why the hell is Venat helping Vayne become a Dynast King? Given the game we have NO reason for this motivation. All we know is that he wants to break humanity free from the other Occurian and then all of a sudden he is helping Vayne become an insanely powerful cyborg. And then all the Occurian are left in Gyruveygan and since the Sun Cryst is destroyed we will never hear from them again...right...

In short, Vayne as the last boss was ridiculous. Then again, Bahamut as the last dungeon is also stupid. The epic dungeon is stopping an air fortress from fighting a battle for one kingdom, and it looked like it was losing the fight anyways?

Yes, we do. Because a lot of people haven't beat the final boss yet.

"History begins in the reins of man" Vayne, Venat and Cid are trying to get theirself and Ivalice out from the Occuria's control. Dynast King Raithwall made peaces between the three kingdom, being a Dynast King can convince a lot of people and as well as winning a kingdom.

The game itself is about a kingdom, so it's not stupid.

Timerk
11-24-2006, 05:27 PM
The game itself is about a kingdom, so it's not stupid.

I know what you are saying, but the best moments in Final Fantasy games have always come from interpersonal conflict, not abstract wars or social movements.

At the end, FFXII fails to deliver that moment of personal victory that other FF games have had, and that is why the ending was a bit of a disappointment, to me at least.

ffxatticus
11-24-2006, 06:53 PM
I agree with timark on the poor character development. The final final boss was kinda weird looking too and they could have had a better looking landscape for the battle. If someone could help me out a bit, I missed the caption at the end on balthiers letter. What did it say?

abrojtm
11-24-2006, 07:01 PM
The caption said "Meet me at (some random place)" and on the back it said "Hand this on to the Queen".

Why would Venat want to lose power anyway?

Ultros0
11-25-2006, 12:40 PM
i don't see how man writing his own history is something so evil... the occuria wanted ashe to kill all of archadia, don't you think that's evil? if i was venat i would say f*** them too!

Meimeiken
11-25-2006, 05:50 PM
I was a tad bit disappointed myself, not just with the story..but how easy he was. The second time I fought the boss..I put down the controller and my party rocked him... >.<

Ultros0
11-26-2006, 02:24 AM
eh... he wasn't THAT easy... try beating him at lvl 40ish... it all just depends on what your level is when you fight him... but as always there's side quests with much harder monsters :(:(

I wish he didn't turn into a ghetto butterfly, and there was more dialogue

skillzboy4
11-26-2006, 04:57 AM
The story in this game is very weird... i didn't like it at all, actually i hated.. first of all, how did gabranth get away from killing Vaan's brother?!!?? i mean if someone killed my brother i would have his head on a plate... and next i felt there was no emotion and suspense in this game.. like it had in FFX like sin and how it all was gonna end and how it was soo unpredictable. In this story i already knew what was going to happen.