PDA

View Full Version : If you could change one thing about FF7, what would it be?

Vincent, Thunder God
11-24-2006, 07:21 PM
This is my third recent thread that I originally did on another forum, but thought your responses on here would be more interesting. So...

IMPORTANT: This is assuming that the original PSX version was changed, not that this is a remake.

There are several things about Final Fantasy 7 which were excellent, but there were also some elements to it which should have been different. I have several things I would change, but what about you? Post some of the things you would change about FF7 here.
I would:
-Fix the few glitches in the game.
-Put better character graphics for the world map and locations.
-Make materia slightly easier to level up.
-Add some more minigames and side quests, even though there are
already lots.
-Change the Chocobuckle Enemy skill to its Japanese function
instead of it's North American function.
-Make Ultima Weapon easier to find on the world map.
-Make all non-CG cutscenes into CG cutscenes

Please post your thoughts here.

Goldenboko
11-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Basically spell check, and edit sentences throughout the entire game...
Like this!

-Fix the few glithces glitches in the game.

LunarWeaver
11-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Analog control so I can run without holding a button, make Cloud's sword twice as large as it already is, have Barret say the lines "I pity the foo'!" and "Jibba-jabba!", unsynthesized music, just make Cloud get with Tifa and save us lotsa threads and debates, and let me rename Sephiroth so I can call him Sephy-popo.

Levian
11-24-2006, 07:30 PM

Huh, haven't heard of this. What does it do in Japan?

And I don't know what I'd change except some more fun sidequests. :) Maybe make the chocobo sidequest more enjoyable, like the FFIX one.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Replace Tonberries with Mobiletypes
and kill Tifa off in place of Aerith

Peter_20
11-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Definitely NOT change the script!
The mistranslations have a very special charm, and changing them would rob FF7 of a lot of its personality.

"Attack while it's tail's up! It's gonna counter-attack with its laser!"
"This guy are sick."
"Hmmmmm, that's how you'll fool them. Hmmmmmm, so that's how you fooled them."
"Poo, I, uh, mean, this way, sir..."
"Off course! No, way!"

Do we really wanna change these lines?
They rock! :D

I would probably change the amount of missable items in the game, because I always hated missable items.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Basically spell check, and edit sentences throughout the entire game...
Like this!

-Fix the few glithces glitches in the game.

Damn. I just copied and pasted it from the other forum, so I didn't proof-read it. *edits*

Huh, haven't heard of this. What does it do in Japan?

In the American version the damage you can incur with Chocobuckle equals how many times you've run from battle. In the Japanese version the damage equals how many times you've run from battle multiplied by 100.

For such a difficult enemy skill to get, it should have more reward like in the Japanese version.

I completely forget where I found this information. Maybe it was in a FAQ/Walkthrough.

Levian
11-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Ah, so that's why it sucked. :D You'd only have to run 100 times for it do to max damage in Japan, then. That's pretty nifty.

TheSpoonyBard
11-24-2006, 08:43 PM
The Japanese Chocobuckle deals damage equal to the number of times the party has escaped multiplied by the user's level. So at Lv99 you'd need 101 escapes to deal 9,999 damage.

Peter_20
11-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Ah, so that's why it sucked. :D You'd only have to run 100 times for it do to max damage in Japan, then. That's pretty nifty.I fail to understand why the hell the Japanese guys always have to make weird changes in all their releases outside of their country.

"Let's release FF7 in America! And LET'S change the Chocobuckle damage calculation, mvehehe!" :rolleyes2

TheSpoonyBard
11-24-2006, 08:53 PM
It's too overpowered. I know, they left in other overpowered things like KotR and Mime, but it's up to them really.

Peter_20
11-24-2006, 08:58 PM
It's too overpowered. I know, they left in other overpowered things like KotR and Mime, but it's up to them really.Then why did they create things like FF4 Easy Type?
That version seemed to encourage over-power. :rolleyes2

Goldenboko
11-24-2006, 09:11 PM
It's too overpowered. I know, they left in other overpowered things like KotR and Mime, but it's up to them really.Then why did they create things like FF4 Easy Type?
That version seemed to encourage over-power. :rolleyes2

So n00bs can beat it.

Dr. Acula
11-25-2006, 05:36 AM
I would:
-Fix the few glitches in the game.
-Put better character graphics for the world map and locations.
-Make materia slightly easier to level up.
-Add some more minigames and side quests, even though there are
already lots.
-Make Ultima Weapon easier to find on the world map.

I'd do all of these things. Also, I'd change Aerith's death scene so that there's actually blood. Then she wouldn't seem like such a supernatural freak with no blood.

Zeromus_X
11-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Well, for one thing, a new (preferable better) translation would be nice.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
11-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Yes, the translation would be the first thing I'd have revised.

BarelySeeAtAll
11-25-2006, 12:00 PM
why would anyone even want to change it?
sillies

Griff
11-25-2006, 03:23 PM
My personal feelings about FF7 aside, I would make Red XIII the main character and have Sephiroth shot.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-25-2006, 07:19 PM
The Japanese Chocobuckle deals damage equal to the number of times the party has escaped multiplied by the user's level. So at Lv99 you'd need 101 escapes to deal 9,999 damage.

:eek: I was mistaken, it seems.

Yuffie514
11-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Magic/Materia
some new materia, especially AP Plus (that's if it hasn't existed yet)

Left Analog
you know, i really hate having to substitute with the directional pad

Graphics
original is great, but i think the in-game graphics should have a few tweaks to it

Twilight Edge
11-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Four words: This guy are sick.

Timerk
11-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Let us see the whole party when Cloud is in a town, and not have the party walk out of Cloud when they need to say or do something.

BarelySeeAtAll
11-26-2006, 01:41 PM
My personal feelings about FF7 aside, I would make Red XIII the main character and have Sephiroth shot.

:eek::enough said, why not get you shot (eek, im sorry, i dint mean it!!)
i cant name anything that should be changed, nothing! *evilsevilsevils*

Vincent, Thunder God
11-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Magic/Materia
some new materia, especially AP Plus (that's if it hasn't existed yet)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is an AP Plus materia. Unfortunately I didn't get it until late in the game. I've been trying to level up materia endlessly to no avail.

TheSpoonyBard
11-26-2006, 09:51 PM
There's no AP Plus. Only HP/MP/Magic/Speed/Luck/EXP/Gil Plus. The only way to increase AP gain is to use Double or Triple growth equipment.

chrisfffan
11-27-2006, 08:34 PM
i wouldnt change a thing!

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 08:51 PM
i wouldnt change a thing!

I agree.

That's why I was bothered by FF7:AC because they were changing something that was already great. If you change something that's already good, you can potentially make it less good.

However, if I had to change one thing, I'd put an arcade game version of the Fort Condor battle in Wonder Square. I mean, they had almost every other minigame there.

Carl the Llama
11-27-2006, 09:42 PM
If I could change some things they would be...

1. the computer its released on (to something like the PS2 or 3)

2. more Materia and secret bosses

3. the music: to one played live music (if you know what i mean)

4. be able to take everyone in your party on a date lol (I can hear all the Yaoi fans screaming out lol)

5. make Reeve a playable character with more limit breaks.

6. not make all the summons super long.

EDIT: 7. have an extra mode!

Vincent, Thunder God
11-27-2006, 10:10 PM
There's no AP Plus. Only HP/MP/Magic/Speed/Luck/EXP/Gil Plus. The only way to increase AP gain is to use Double or Triple growth equipment.

I see. I must of confused it with EXP plus. (This goes to show that I haven't played the game in quite some time, that's why I'm forgetting some things.)

So it definetly would be a good thing to put in the game, I agree.

VeloZer0
11-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Let us see the whole party when Cloud is in a town, and not have the party walk out of Cloud when they need to say or do something.

I actually like games that work that way (one character) far better.

As cool as new bosses/dungeons would be, I'm not really sure about how you would work them into the story (work them into the story well I guess I should say).

Biggest thing for me would be a resolution improvement. The graphics are as much a part of the feeling of the game as anything else, but upping the resolution would be nice.

Necronopticous
11-28-2006, 12:19 AM
The mentality of the overwhelming fan base.

Cruise Control
11-28-2006, 01:00 AM
I like the graphics, they have a unique feel, due to how they are shaped. It's cutesy.

Mirage
11-28-2006, 01:02 AM
I'd change the fanboys~

Oh, and the script.

I'd polish the graphics, but still leave them in chibi-style.

chocobo hunter
11-28-2006, 03:01 AM
I'd put a few more CG sequences in, give Red XIII a earlier flashback sequence during the Gi Tribe war and put in more Turk scenes.

chaos_ghost
11-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Personally, I would make it so that Yuffie and Vincent aren't optional. I finished the game without Vincent and that upsets me because I heard he's a great character. And maybe some minor annoyances here and there.

Peter_20
11-28-2006, 12:48 PM
On second thought, I would probably change it so that Emerald Weapon rams a certain area below the sea and opens up a secret area where you can gain lots of über-strong weapons and Materias.
That would be cool. :cool:

TheSpoonyBard
11-28-2006, 01:27 PM
On second thought, I would probably change it so that Emerald Weapon rams a certain area below the sea and opens up a secret area where you can gain lots of über-strong weapons and Materias.
And what would you do with the über-strong weapons and Materia? The strongest enemy (arguably) would already have been defeated.

To make that work you'd need to have some enemies even more powerful than Emerald and Ruby.

Mirage
11-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Personally, I would make it so that Yuffie and Vincent aren't optional. I finished the game without Vincent and that upsets me because I heard he's a great character. And maybe some minor annoyances here and there.
Why don't you just get him then?

If anything, they should have added some extra scene in the end with him and/or Yuffie, in case they were in your party.

The black mage
12-07-2006, 08:46 PM
The only thing i would add would be more of a back story for vincent, And have him in the end sequence.
OH, and some of the cool weapons from AC

MasterX
12-11-2006, 06:44 AM
I would make a HELLUVA lotta changes to our loved, but could-be-better game.

1. Character graphics. Why would walking against walls result in Cloud's body going through 'em? Beats the hell outta me. And all those triangle/circle paste-togethers rape my eyes to death.

2. MORE mini-games in Gold Saucer that a) Are easier to beat and b) provide a LOT more GP. Also, there could be a bit more interaction in the Mog's House mini-game. Hehehe...

3. Screw over that crappy materia system and replace it with the good ol' predictable level up/gain skills. But that's just me.

4. More secret characters, like Reeve and Zack, a LOT more side quests, and for players NOT to resort to a) flawless strategies or b)Gameshark; particularily invincible/limit breaks/Aeris revived or whatever.

5. Give the chocobo quest a little enthusiasm, like FFIX. Put in digging for secret realms, evolving a SINGLE chocobo instead of wasting money on the RIGHT greens/nuts to feed 'em with. Also, there should be
other chocobo side quests, even if it's fully evolved, like digging for treasure.

6. Resurrect Aeris, or kill off Tifa instead. Way to go, Milhouse. When I read your post, I was like, "He understands." Incidentally, thanks for suggesting replacements for Tonberries.

7. Does it have to end with Black/White Materia? Why n ot add more "Ultimate Materia" like Green or Rainbow, or Gold. (Yeah, people. We already established that I was crazy.)

That's all that comes to mind for now. Oh, and sorta lean Tifa's interest towards Johnny. Those sickos deserve each other.

Dr. Acula
12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
6. Resurrect Aeris, or kill off Tifa instead. Way to go, Milhouse. When I read your post, I was like, "He understands." Incidentally, thanks for suggesting replacements for Tonberries.

7. Does it have to end with Black/White Materia? Why n ot add more "Ultimate Materia" like Green or Rainbow, or Gold. (Yeah, people. We already established that I was crazy.)

That's all that comes to mind for now. Oh, and sorta lean Tifa's interest towards Johnny. Those sickos deserve each other.

YOU FIEND!
I agree with number 7, but the other two... just no.

blackmage_nuke
12-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Give Red XIII a more powerful final limit break, his other limits are so cool but his final limit isnt that great.

-

TheSpoonyBard
12-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Give Red XIII a more powerful final limit break
Cosmo Memory is the second most powerful single attack (i.e. only hits once) in the game. It's level with Shadow Flare and is only beaten in power by Yuffie's All Creation. Red doesn't need a more powerful final limit break, he needs a more powerful multi-hitting limit break. Stardust Ray and Earth Rave just aren't good enough.

VeloZer0
12-13-2006, 12:53 AM
In this game powerful does mean multi-hit.

An interesting though would be what if they re-balanced the damage so there wasn't a damage limit? Removing it would just unbalance the game more, but just changing it so that you are never actually hitting the limit, making it so all your top damaging skills don’t do equal damage.

Carl the Llama
12-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Give Red XIII a more powerful final limit break
Cosmo Memory is the second most powerful single attack (i.e. only hits once) in the game. It's level with Shadow Flare and is only beaten in power by Yuffie's All Creation. Red doesn't need a more powerful final limit break, he needs a more powerful multi-hitting limit break. Stardust Ray and Earth Rave just aren't good enough.

Cosmo Memory is crappy, all it does is hit once and tbh I can do the same damage with Cloud and his Ultima Weapon in one hit on 90% of the enemys.

Christmas
12-13-2006, 12:23 PM
More Mukki. :bigsmile:

TheSpoonyBard
12-13-2006, 01:37 PM
In this game powerful does mean multi-hit.
Powerful != damaging. Multi-hits may deal more damage overall, but not all of them are powerful. Take Bloodfest, Stardust Ray and Splattercombo, for example.

Cosmo Memory is crappy
I never said it was good, I said it was powerful.

Carl the Llama
12-13-2006, 02:40 PM
By powerful he probly means a multi hit limit.

Wild0ne
12-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Well they could remake FFVII with the same graphics as FFVI but keep the FMVs...what do you think of that. And Aeris is dead...She isn't coming back...Except in Cloud's "dreams"...;)

Rabidewok
12-14-2006, 07:46 PM
"have Barret say the lines "I pity the foo'!" and "Jibba-jabba!"

I lol'ed in RL

jammi567
12-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Make Vincent a compulsery character. he's too cool for people to miss.

.:kerrod:.
12-15-2006, 02:31 AM
they should make materia slots in links of 3 as well as 2 and 1, that would make for some POWERFUL combos, but i agree with the limits thing, all of the finals should be multi-hit, otherwise they dont just cut it....vincent is an exception cos he is hella cool :p o and cait-sith's is ok as well, but they should make the sudden death easier to get, but then 'n00bs' would use it to kill all of the weapons and stuff, so i guess its cool how it is...but i have a confession, i used Yojimbo's zanmato on ff10 to kill some dark aeons, but ONLY because i needed to get to the places they were guarding and i wasnt going to do all that training just to get into a town

The black mage
12-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Make Vincent a compulsery character. he's too cool for people to miss.

Too True.
Also a a new creature for him to become

CimminyCricket
12-15-2006, 09:06 PM
:choc2: Graphics would be a nice change, up grade them, so they look like real people, people with hands, not stubs. More like 8, since we're sticking to a PS1 version. Or have the characters look like they do in battle. They did good there.
And instead of killing Zack off in the past, have him be arrested instead, so we can see him later in the game. Rescue him from Shinra tower at the same time as you escape. And make him a bit more powerful than Cloud, but have it even out towards the end of the game.

Yeah.... that'd be sweet. Anyone else agree?
Allow a four party system.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-15-2006, 10:55 PM
:choc2: Graphics would be a nice change, up grade them, so they look like real people, people with hands, not stubs. More like 8, since we're sticking to a PS1 version. Or have the characters look like they do in battle. They did good there.

I agree. The battle graphics were great for their time, and it would have made the regular character/world map graphics oustide of battles look better.

And instead of killing Zack off in the past, have him be arrested instead, so we can see him later in the game. Rescue him from Shinra tower at the same time as you escape. And make him a bit more powerful than Cloud, but have it even out towards the end of the game.

Well, I don't know. Zak's death added some tradgedy to Cloud's past that I think improved the plot. Besides, it would have been difficult to develop the whole mystery about there being another character that looks like Cloud; Zak's death made it easier to have Cloud doubt his own existence, and think he was a clone, because he couldn't remember who that other person was in Nibelheim. If Zak had still been alive it would have been harder for the writers to ensure Cloud would still doubt himself, because Cloud or the others could meet Zak at any time.

Yeah.... that'd be sweet. Anyone else agree?
Allow a four party system.

The battle system was already too easy with three characters. I think if the battles were much more difficult, then four character parties would make sense. So I agree, as long as the battle system was also made much more difficult.

CimminyCricket
12-18-2006, 07:37 PM

Well, I don't know. Zak's death added some tradgedy to Cloud's past that I think improved the plot. Besides, it would have been difficult to develop the whole mystery about there being another character that looks like Cloud; Zak's death made it easier to have Cloud doubt his own existence, and think he was a clone, because he couldn't remember who that other person was in Nibelheim. If Zak had still been alive it would have been harder for the writers to ensure Cloud would still doubt himself, because Cloud or the others could meet Zak at any time.

think of it this way. Zack is still shot defending cloud. and is dragged away bloody. Cloud, hardly aware of his surroundings as he was, couldn't tell the state of his friend other than the non-moving bloody part. His assumption: Dead Zack.
And like I said, they meet Zack while escaping from shinra, while rufus is in charge so they meet him later on in the game. Or while they're infiltrating Shinra the last time.
Cloud can have visions of what's going on in the present time and not see himself in with the group. Instead, all he sees is Zack in his place.
it'd prolly add another 4 hours to the game to dissect it all, but it'd be worth it.

redxiiii
12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Instead of a buggy get the famous van from the A-team from Dio, failing that....the batmobile.

Griff
12-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Instead of a buggy get the famous van from the A-team from Dio, failing that....the batmobile.

On a related note, change the world map theme to the A-Team theme music

chrisfffan
12-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Posted by MasterX

would make a HELLUVA lotta changes to our loved, but could-be-better game.

1. Character graphics. Why would walking against walls result in Cloud's body going through 'em? Beats the hell outta me. And all those triangle/circle paste-togethers rape my eyes to death.

2. MORE mini-games in Gold Saucer that a) Are easier to beat and b) provide a LOT more GP. Also, there could be a bit more interaction in the Mog's House mini-game. Hehehe...

3. Screw over that crappy materia system and replace it with the good ol' predictable level up/gain skills. But that's just me.

4. More secret characters, like Reeve and Zack, a LOT more side quests, and for players NOT to resort to a) flawless strategies or b)Gameshark; particularily invincible/limit breaks/Aeris revived or whatever.

5. Give the chocobo quest a little enthusiasm, like FFIX. Put in digging for secret realms, evolving a SINGLE chocobo instead of wasting money on the RIGHT greens/nuts to feed 'em with. Also, there should be
other chocobo side quests, even if it's fully evolved, like digging for treasure.

My reply
Wow wow wow! you have destroyed the game man! Are you crazy?

Eyes on Ashley <3
12-19-2006, 02:19 AM
1) The stupid Materia thing. Gah hate it.
2) And the animation. The animation sucked.

.:kerrod:.
12-20-2006, 08:18 AM
wow, Eyes on Ashley <3, those are the two main things i WOULDN'T change, i mean, they're unique and i like them, i also LOVED the sphere grid, but i love the materia's simplicity, and maybe they could tune the graphics, but dont drastically change any of it

blim
12-20-2006, 11:27 PM
only one thing, allow you to skip the animation on Knights of the round, it takes ages when fighting underwater weapon (KOTR with quad + mime)

Pure Aerisbeauty7
12-27-2006, 03:26 AM
I would change the game so that Aeris wouldn't die.

Carl the Llama
12-27-2006, 03:29 AM
only one thing, allow you to skip the animation on Knights of the round, it takes ages when fighting underwater weapon (KOTR with quad + mime)

KotR+Quadra magic doesnt work, I have tested it myself.

blim
12-27-2006, 07:33 PM

KotR+Quadra magic doesnt work, I have tested it myself.

If i remember right, there is some combination that does work. It might be mime and quadra after another character has used KOTR.

TheSpoonyBard
12-27-2006, 07:45 PM
There's no way to cast KotR four times in one turn. The best you can do is twice with W-Summon.

G3ORGE
12-28-2006, 02:29 AM
Maybe a hair salon so you can see that they dont have random unexplainable haircuts :P