PDA

View Full Version : Help me out. I need good names of good RPG's

The Knights of the Round
11-25-2006, 05:12 AM
this isnt generally all squaresoft/enix but if you guys could, give me some names of RPG's that you all think are very good for ps2, ps1, even NES. and they dont have to be a square/enix title either. just some ideas plz and why?

Zeromus_X
11-25-2006, 05:25 AM
Final Fantasies I-XII (but you probably knew that).

I don't think this really needs an explanation.

Seiken Densetsu II (Secret of Mana) and III. (SNES, III only via emulation)

Great music, pretty graphics and sounds, and nice action-RPG gameplay.

Star Ocean: Fantastic Space Oddyssey (only via emulation), Star Ocean: The Second Story (PS1), and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (PS2).

All have relatively action-packed battle systems and replay value.

Tales of Phantasia (GBA), Tales of Symphonia (GBC), and Tales of the Abyss (PS2), and pretty much any other Tales game you can get your hands on.

Same as Star Ocean.

I'm sure I can think of more later.

VeloZer0
11-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross
Probly the best RPGs without a Final infront of them I can think of.

Chrono Trigger anyone can enjoy, Chrono Cross has a somewhat more involved battle system (not all that complicated but I have heard some people complain), and the plot can be very difficult to follow later in the game (+ for me, - for some)

Vivisteiner
11-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Dragon quest VIII

Ashley Schovitz
11-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Threads of Fate is a pretty Fun action-RPG, but it's a bit short and you can also go with Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits. It has a great battle sytem in my opinion and a good story. It can't touch a FF, but it's still a fun game.

Dreddz
11-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Grandia
Dark Cloud 2/Chronicle
Phantasy Star II, IV
Valkyrie Profile ( If you can afford it )

Ichimonji
11-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Suikoden I - V.

LunarWeaver
11-25-2006, 06:48 PM
The Xenosaga trilogy :jess:

Erdrick Holmes
11-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Phantasy Star Universe, it's the best video game ever made!

RiseToFall
11-25-2006, 08:13 PM
-Grandia Series - The first one is probably one of my favorite RPG's ever.

-Tales Series - Destiny,Eternia, Symphonia, Legendia, Abyss - All great RPG's that you shouldn't miss.

- Shadow Hearts Series - I don't own these yet, but I played all of them at my buddies house and they're just great games.

-Xenogears - If you don't have it, buy it now.

-Dragon Quest 8 - Old school rpg, with a great story and characters.

-Breath of Fire 3,4,5 - The fifth game in the series is a bit on the strange side, but 3 and 4 are great games.

-Skies of Arcadia - If you have a DC or Gamecube, buy this game, seriously buy it, I'm not kidding, go out right now and buy it.

-Digital Devil Saga - A great RPG with a unique battle system.

-Devil Summoner - If you play Digital Devil Saga and like it, don't miss out on this game.

Edit: Almost forgot: Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue - 2D Rpg's don't get much better.

NINJA_Ryu
11-25-2006, 08:18 PM
what systems are the devils on?

RiseToFall
11-25-2006, 08:32 PM
PS2 - They all have Shin Megami Tensei attached to the name. So it goes like this.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 - If you decide to buy make sure you pick #1 first. The second is a straight continuation.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: It was just released in the states.

ljkkjlcm9
11-25-2006, 09:10 PM
golden sun and golden sun the lost age for the GBA very good games

THE JACKEL

jorge
11-26-2006, 04:30 AM
try Super Robot Wars 3 (SNES) or Super Robot Taisen Original Generation (GBA). SRW3 English patch can be found at Aeon Genesis site, google is your friend.

SRWs are strategy RPGs with good storyline and lots of magic to use just like FFs. Battles are turn-based.

K-chan
11-26-2006, 08:20 PM
-Grandia series (God knows the first one is impossible to find though...)

-Legend of Dragoon

-.Hack series

-Shadow Hearts Series

The Knights of the Round
11-27-2006, 02:40 AM
thx for all those names. ill look into them. and ive got some of those already and yeah they are good like Star Ocean, DQ VIII, and Legend of Dragoon. Also of course bassically every Final Fantasy too, but some of the other ones do look good, but if anyone can think of more games keep posting plz

thx again

Breine
11-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Obivously the Final Fantasy series, but also Dark Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2 and the Kingdom Hearts series.

Madame Adequate
11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
-Skies of Arcadia - If you have a DC or Gamecube, buy this game, seriously buy it, I'm not kidding, go out right now and buy it.

SoA is worth the price of a console by itself. Nevermind that with a DC you can get Shenmue :jess:

I cannot reiterate the value of the Suikoden or Star Ocean games enough. Well except Suikoden IV, that's pretty bad. Anyway get those. Breath of Fire III is a personal fave of mine, I love it to bits. Vagrant Story is great, too.

Oh, and if you don't have Xenogears, you'll be wanting that as well.

It's not strictly RPG, more of an FPS with RPG elements, but if you want an involving, amazing game with a truly brilliant story, get a hold of Deus Ex, either for PC or PS2.

MurderfaceX3
11-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Tales of Symphonia baby, but its on Gamecube just to let you know it is very elite!!!

SoupForInsanity
11-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I second the Xenosaga Trilogy.
I loved the first one, the second is a bit lacking, but the third is pretty good.

Polnareff
11-27-2006, 10:59 PM
I second the Breath of Fire games. Dragon Quarter, however, isn't near as good as the other four games. Might wanna be cautious of buying that game.

Star Ocean series has a great battle system, cool characters, expansive sci-fi settings (with a little bit of fantasy thrown in), the whole shebang.

Dark_Mage_Palom
11-28-2006, 04:01 PM
wow no one has said Bahamut Lagoon yet check that game out its really fun also check out

Snes:

EVO: Search For Eden

Illusion of Gaia

Illusion of Time

Emerald Dragon

7th Saga II: Mystic Ark

Treasure Hunter G

Lagoon

ps one:

Lunar: Silver Star Story

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

Kartia: The Word of Fate

Wild Arms I & II

umm..lets see way back for the nes

Ultima III: Exodus

Esper Dream II

and of course Sweet Home (this one is fun as hell)

well my head hurts now so i'm going to stop

jubjub13
11-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Star Ocean is a good RPG, in my opinion. But a lot of other people say it's good to so it's not just me.:D

RiseToFall
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
wow no one has said Bahamut Lagoon yet check that game out its really fun also check out

That game wasn't even released in the U.S., unless he can read Japanese, there's no reason to suggest it.

Jowy
11-28-2006, 04:30 PM
The translation patch kind of helps with that though. ;D

RoxasLeonhart
11-28-2006, 05:32 PM
any ff is good

Bunny
11-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Destiny of an Emperor. It is, by far, the greatest RPG ever made for the NES. I highly suggest checking it out. Although most people would disagree with me when I label it as such, the majority, if not all, of the people who have played this game, would agree that it is amazing. Ancient China ftw.

Also for the NES, although not as suggested because chances are you will not enjoy it as much, is Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. It is a hardcore dungeon crawler with very minimal graphic capability. The storyline is decent, when there is one. The main feature of the game is the difficulty. There is no power leveling. You can pretty much die at any level. It is fun!

SNES has Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom, which is also suggested and has slightly, emphasis on the word, improved graphics. The difficulty is about the same. Both games also feature a lot of running around and puzzle solving. Again, a dungeon crawler to the very core.

Robo Trek is a mildly difficult but mostly fun game for the SNES. You build robots to fight for you! Any game with customizable robots as party members is automatically fun.

Lufia & The Fortress of Doom and Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals are also highly recommended SNES games. Both games are fairly difficult but not overly so and both feature pretty neat puzzles. I would suggest the latter game, simply because it is a smoother experience gameplay-wise.

Back to NES for a brief minute so I can suggest, although very limitly because the game is fun but can be a bit hard to handle for most people: Innuendo: Way of the Ninja.

I'm suggesting the aforementioned Breath of Fire games, although the first two (both of SNES) are drastically superior to the third and fourth, in my opinion.

Also Suikoden, although good luck finding the first two games (Playstation) for a reasonable price. The third game is decent, fourth game is viewed as the worst in the series, and the fifth game is enjoyable (although I still haven't completed it). Tactics is eh, but I've never really gotten along with most strategy games.

Er.. yay suggestions!

Ashi
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Radiata Stories :)

Elite Lord Sigma
11-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Skies of Arcadia: One of my first RPG's, and one of my favorites. If you have a Dreamcast or Gamecube, buy it. Now.

Chrono Cross: It got a 10/10 on GameSpot. That in itself is impressive. Get it as soon as you see it.

Chrono Trigger: Get this game too. If you have a Wii, I think this game is Virtual Console-worthy, as it appears it's not receiving the port-to-GBA treatment that the rest of the NES/SNES Final Fantasies are receiving.

Ragna53
11-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Vagrant Story: The graphics and story are great. Huge weapon custimization.

Monster Rancher Advance 2: I got addicted to this. I guess it could be kiddy but there are tons of monsters (over 2 quadrillion tablet codes)
and its lots of fun.

Dark_Mage_Palom
11-29-2006, 04:44 AM
The translation patch kind of helps with that though. ;D

It sure does :D

The Knights of the Round
12-08-2006, 04:59 AM
jeese there are alot of games i have never heard of... lol now i feel stupid

Laddy
12-08-2006, 11:11 AM
God, if you have a PC you MUST GET BALDUR'S GATE I AND II!
Those games blend RPG, Strategy, and Horror into a interesting battle system, story and characters of FF quality, truly amazing style, and a nice, dark, scary, and emotional style.

Ah, speaking of which, Dark Cloud and Drak Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2 are great games.

The Tales Of....(insert something) games can be found on PS2.

.hack is a great RPG that thinks its an MMO.

Finally, a damn fine game for PS1 is of couse, Final Fantasy Tactics. Wow, am I the only person to mention it? It's too hard though, but enjoyable any day.

NeoCracker
12-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Makai Kingdom is just plain Awsome. I preffered it to Disgaia II myself. REally anything from NIS seems enjoyable.

If you dont' mind using a Rom and some translation patches theres Dual Orb II, Bahamut Lagoon and Treasures of Rudra, or something.

Earthbound is an excelent game, can't believe it hasn't been brought up. Also, Brigadine on the Playstation. ITs more strategy, but definatly awesome. Dryst the Mad Monarch is the coolest evil dictator I've ever seen.

Cruise Control
12-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Legend of Dragoon.

SOD OF XAVEN!

Laddy
12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Oh crap, I forgot Dragon Warrior VII! It's graphics are horrid, but the game is underneath. The only real problem I have is that the characters just keep quiet for too much of the game unless you choos the "Talk" command.

Wild0ne
12-08-2006, 06:04 PM
NES: Destiny of an Emperor FTW!!! Great game, spent a LOONNGGGG time trying to beat it...Chosing your team from many different characters and enemies is fun!! Its like "Hey look at that guy! He has 815 soldiers!!! Gotta get him to join!!"

Final Fantasy...Like it needs an explanation...

Dragon Warrior(s)/Quest(s).....Good stuff, not as good as FF though.

SNES: Earthbound...The only game I have ever heard of that has a "disease" associated with it..."Earthbound Fever" it was called. This is the ONLY game I have stayed up all night playing. One of those "hey lets rent this game and see how it is.." and getting lost in an amazing game....My father is in his 40s and he still cant put the controller down...

Chrono Trigger...excellent game, you know why ;)

FF IV and VI...both awesome...oh yeah...

PS: soooo many here, but most have been mentioned...I will say Parasite Eve...I had trouble putting the controller down. Its one of those games that has the FF feel, but is different....I guess thats Square with all their spinoffs though..

jubjub13
12-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Earthbound is awesome! Second best right there.:lol:

Slicksword45
12-09-2006, 02:37 PM
I recomend the Dungeon Siege series. Theirs I, an expansion to I, II and a expansion for II just came out. Also, a PSP game is in the works.

Also, theirs the Fable games. Their are 2 versons, yet lost chapters is the better verson. (Mostley due to the fact that it has more stuff). It's out for PC and Xbox