PDA

View Full Version : WHY do Square always use the random encounter system?

Peter_20
11-25-2006, 03:38 PM
This has buggered me for many years now: why in the world do Square constantly use the random encounter system?
I guess it's supposed to force the character into leveling up the characters.
BUT, you know what?
Do you know of the game Secret of Mana?
That game consists completely of optional battles: you can pass the VISIBLE enemies if you want to, or you can fight them.
AND you can even stop fighting them in the middle of the battle; you don't have to finish it.
AND - that system made me fight MORE enemies than I ever do in FF games, because I knew I could choose it myself whenever I wished to.
In FF games (and lots of other RPG:s in general) enemies just show up randomly all the time.
IT'S SO ANNOYING!

Why, WHY do Square always use this stupid system?
Don't give me this "the consoles can't handle visible enemies", because lots of RPG:s for the SNES use visible enemies and optional battles.

Ashley Schovitz
11-25-2006, 03:40 PM
obviously you're not a FF fan and not all FFs have that system. XIi doesn't and you would've known that if you're an FF fan and you don't even have to play the game to know that.

Peter_20
11-25-2006, 03:44 PM
obviously you're not a FF fan and not all FFs have that system. XIi doesn't and you would've known that if you're an FF fan and you don't even have to play the game to know that.I know FFXII doesn't use it, but why did Square need almost 20 years to realize they should remove random encounters?
That's inexcusable.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I never really felt the whole ‘avoiding enemies in the field’ added a whole load of depth to gameplay tbqh. As long as the random encounter rate isn't set at something ridiculous I don't really care.

Ashley Schovitz
11-25-2006, 04:02 PM
if they hated it they wouldn't continue to buy the games now would they?

Peter_20
11-25-2006, 04:03 PM
if they hated it they wouldn't continue to buy the games now would they?I abhor the random encounters and I'm a huge FF fan. :rolleyes2

VeloZer0
11-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't see how you could possibly dislike the random encounters so much and still enjoy the games.

Another crucial reason is because with random encounters you don't have to design the zones around being able to be fightable in. This is one of the reasons I found FFXII's zones to be very boring (design wise). As for skipping enemies, if the game fighting style is so uninteresting that you want to skip the majority of them, then I think the flaw lies in the battle system itself.

Peter_20
11-25-2006, 04:48 PM
I don't see how you could possibly dislike the random encounters so much and still enjoy the games.Because aside from the random encounters that show up way too often at times, the games rock. :rolleyes2

Another crucial reason is because with random encounters you don't have to design the zones around being able to be fightable in. This is one of the reasons I found FFXII's zones to be very boring (design wise). As for skipping enemies, if the game fighting style is so uninteresting that you want to skip the majority of them, then I think the flaw lies in the battle system itself.I find the battles kinda fun, but in boring areas random encounters are pure hell, and I know you all agree with me on that, even if you don't seem to wanna admit it right now. :rolleyes2

...It's funny how everybody always starts argumenting against me in topics that everybody should agree with me on. :rolleyes2
As far as I know, most people are pretty disgusted by the random encounters.
Then I write this thread, and now everybody seems to like them all of a sudden - w...t...f...?
To be quite honest, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone in here throws a fit at me soon, because my days are like that every now and then in the forum worlds. :rolleyes2

NINJA_Ryu
11-25-2006, 05:59 PM
sheesh, lets all just simmer down now....

personally, i like the random encounters for a few reasons.

1) The worlds of FF are in peril, monsters and evil is rampant, and danger can possibly lurk around every corner, so i think it mrits random battles

2) *plays game and party is at level 10, goes against boss. Gets thouroughly trounced* O well, Im glad i can level up my party so they can take this guy head on! *levels up, beats opposition*

3) I like to have the uncertainty in my games. BEtter to be surprised by encounters and guessing at your travels than plainly seeing and avoiding your enemies. In the long run, it only hurts you

Peter_20
11-25-2006, 06:03 PM
But being able to avoid enemies would encourage fighting, since you're not forced to it. :(
That's why some game developers try to avoid random encounters, and that's why people always think it's positive when you are able to choose if you want to fight or not.
Besides, I've only heard stuff like "random encounters are gone, YAY!", but I've NEVER heard anyone saying "random encounters are present in the game, YAY!"

And I still find it weird that people speak against me in just about any topic sometimes.
If I were to write a topic that undoubtly would please everybody's opinions, then I'd either get no answers at all, or else someone would sound bitter and write something like "of course, I've already realized that -.-".

Sometimes my days are like this; but it's alright. :rolleyes2

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-25-2006, 06:08 PM
1) The worlds of FF are in peril, monsters and evil is rampant, and danger can possibly lurk around every corner, so i think it mrits random battles

3) I like to have the uncertainty in my games. BEtter to be surprised by encounters and guessing at your travels than plainly seeing and avoiding your enemies. In the long run, it only hurts youEnemies can still surprise you when there are no random encounters.
2) *plays game and party is at level 10, goes against boss. Gets thouroughly trounced* O well, Im glad i can level up my party so they can take this guy head on! *levels up, beats opposition*You can still level up all you like when there are no random encounters.

Peter_20
11-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Enemies can still surprise you when there are no random encounters....and without the random encounters you don't have to be surprised ALL THE TIME. ;)

You can still level up all you like when there are no random encounters....so getting rid of random encounters only have benefits, and no drawbacks whatsoever.

Vivisteiner
11-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I dont see whats wrong with random encounters so long as the load time is short. It also kinda builds up the enemy monster with the music etc. Its hard to explain why its so enjoyable and rarely annoying.

Peter_20
11-25-2006, 06:29 PM
I dont see whats wrong with random encounters so long as the load time is short.Imagine you're walking around in a huge maze-dungeon, and you want to get acquainted with the place.
The problem is, you are always interrupted, because the ominous battle sequence flashes up all the damn time.
This is especially obvious in FF2. :mad:

LunarWeaver
11-25-2006, 06:54 PM
I personally don't like random encounters much either. I never really understood why RPGs didn't drop them a long time ago.

Slothy
11-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Random encounters are annoying if you ask me. Not only do they abruptly interrupt the flow of the game and immediately take me out of the experirence, they can be nothing but a pain if I'm trying to get to a save point because I have to stop playing, or if you happen to run into some trouble and are trying to get to safety. As far as I'm concerned, they're a product of a bygone gaming era where hardware limitations made them a necessity. I have no problem with being taken to a battle screen, but let me see it coming should I have some reason to want to avoid the fight.

Lynx
11-25-2006, 07:04 PM
play final fantasy mystic quest for SNES when your walking through temples you can see every monster.

besides puttting in random battles makes it more challangeing which just makes it more fun all together. i dont know about you but i can't stand easy games. i love being in a temples with low life no magic no healing items and trying to escape and get to the nearest town. whats more fun then that keeps you on the edge of your seat knowing if you get into a random battle with the wrong monster you could lose.

crazybayman
11-25-2006, 07:40 PM
You're really going out on a limb by saying that everybody would rather not have random encounters.

I for one like them. FFXII doesn't have them, that's fine. However, I like it in other FF games.

Zeromus_X
11-25-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't really care if an RPG has random encounters or not. But if you're going to play RPGs, you'd better be used to them, at least.

NINJA_Ryu
11-25-2006, 08:14 PM

3) I like to have the uncertainty in my games. BEtter to be surprised by encounters and guessing at your travels than plainly seeing and avoiding your enemies. In the long run, it only hurts youEnemies can still surprise you when there are no random encounters.
2) *plays game and party is at level 10, goes against boss. Gets thouroughly trounced* O well, Im glad i can level up my party so they can take this guy head on! *levels up, beats opposition*You can still level up all you like when there are no random encounters.

care to elaborate how "surprising" monsters can be when you plainly seeing them? Im not speaking of how they fight or how you beat them, just in how you encounter them

and with the second point, with enemies you see, then beat, they are gone. boom. finished. less enemies = less xp = less levels

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-25-2006, 08:21 PM
care to elaborate how "surprising" monsters can be when you plainly seeing them? Im not speaking of how they fight or how you beat them, just in how you encounter themThey drop from the ceiling, mainly. You never see it coming. And, of course, ghostly enemies can suddenly appear out of thin air.
and with the second point, with enemies you see, then beat, they are gone. boom. finished. less enemies = less xp = less levelsUntil you leave the area and return, or just wait around for a while. They regenerate.

Paul
11-25-2006, 08:48 PM
its already been said, but yeah i agree random encounters are an age old game mechanic which should have been phased out years ago. it's much more fun and realistic to have enemies on screen. i don't even mind if i can't avoid them because they are faster than me or what. as long as i can see them it doesn't annoy me that i have to fight them. as has been said when you're trying to navigate along a path and the game keeps interrupting you it gets annoying.

also having the enemies on screen instantly invents a whole new element to the gameplay because you can have the player trying to sneak past the enemy when they are feeling weak or lazy.

Yuffie514
11-25-2006, 09:03 PM
these Final Fantasy titles (i've played) do not use random encounters:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy XI: Online
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Square-Enix can have it how they like it as long as i'm enjoying the game.

RiseToFall
11-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Not really sure why they use them, or pretty much why most rpg's use them. But I never really minded random encounters as long as they're kept in reason. I don't want to take two steps and get into another fight. The only game that I've played that made me throw the controller down for it's high amount of random battles is Beyond the Beyond.

ljkkjlcm9
11-25-2006, 09:47 PM
See, I really don't have much of a problem with random encounters. I remember one game I played, no idea what it was called, but when you were a certain level above the enemies, you would auto win fights, it would never load the battle screen, and you would get a small sum on money and the small EXP. I liked this because instead of wasting time when you're over and above and can destroy an enemy, it keeps the pace up, while the harder challenging enemies, you still fight.

THE JACKEL

Zeromus_X
11-25-2006, 09:51 PM
That would probably be Mother 2 (Earthbound).

rubah
11-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Mystic Quest didn't have random encounters did it?

ffx-2 had a few non-random encounters in the via purifico (hello elder drake)

Vagrant story and Chrono Trigger which were made by square don't have random encounters

Zeromus_X
11-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Mystic Quest had visible enemies which you could engage in battle with.

NINJA_Ryu
11-26-2006, 12:54 AM
care to elaborate how "surprising" monsters can be when you plainly seeing them? Im not speaking of how they fight or how you beat them, just in how you encounter themThey drop from the ceiling, mainly. You never see it coming. And, of course, ghostly enemies can suddenly appear out of thin air.
and with the second point, with enemies you see, then beat, they are gone. boom. finished. less enemies = less xp = less levelsUntil you leave the area and return, or just wait around for a while. They regenerate.

well, learn something new everyday around here.... and the second could be disputed

however, ranom encounters can stay or go, they arent pivotal to my (or anyones prolly) gaming

Frozen Phantom
11-26-2006, 01:27 AM
I actually like the random encounter system, and nothing you guys can do to change my mind.

Yes the RES does get rather boring after awhile, they just get way to annoying by the end of the game, but I still enjoy suspence of finding a new batch of monsters in an area.

NINJA_Ryu
11-26-2006, 03:14 AM
Would a cupcake make you say otherwise FP?

id have to agree though, it gets annoying late game/dungeons :(

Frozen Phantom
11-26-2006, 03:17 AM
Would a cupcake make you say otherwise FP?

nope...I'm not a cupcake person anyway...

Mirage
11-26-2006, 05:13 AM
I actually like the random encounter system, and nothing you guys can do to change my mind.

Yes the RES does get rather boring after awhile, they just get way to annoying by the end of the game, but I still enjoy suspence of finding a new batch of monsters in an area.

Not too different from seeing a new type of monster appear out of the fog, behind a hilltop or showing up on the horizon. Then, the excitement you get from wanting to check if you can beat it, while you at the same time are a bit afraid to poke it with your pointy object. Finally, you decide to go for it, and your entire party rushes in with their weapons drawn.

Frozen Phantom
11-26-2006, 05:30 AM
yeah...but theres a seperate feeling when you first enter an area and have no f**king idea how the enemies are, in the other system, you at least have an idea what the enemies look like, in the RES you have no clue till the first battle.

blackmage_nuke
11-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Its to make you spend atleast half an hour trying to get the item which gives no encounters. Its makes it worthwhile when you get that:D

And once you recieve it you realise how ashamed of yourself you are for using it and take it off and bask in the glory of random encounters, hacking away at innocent animals such as rabbits and stray cats (and the occasional chocobo)

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Enemies/Leafer.gifhttp://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Enemies/Stray%20Cat.gifhttp://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/NPCs/Nonhuman/Chocobo%20-%20Walk%20(Left).gifhttp://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Sabin/Sabin%20-%20Aura%20Bolt.gif

Firo Volondé
11-26-2006, 08:25 AM
There's never been an FF game where you can't flee from 99% of random encounters. Personally, I like them, because it adds a challenge to the game that makes it worth playing.

Slothy
11-26-2006, 01:49 PM
play final fantasy mystic quest for SNES when your walking through temples you can see every monster.

Or I could not waste my time playing that pile of crap when the vastly superior FFXII exists.

besides puttting in random battles makes it more challangeing which just makes it more fun all together. i dont know about you but i can't stand easy games. i love being in a temples with low life no magic no healing items and trying to escape and get to the nearest town. whats more fun then that keeps you on the edge of your seat knowing if you get into a random battle with the wrong monster you could lose.

Random battles don't make games more challenging, only more annoying. Go play FFXII; easily the most challenging game in the series since FFIV or V, yet there's no random encounters. Everything you mention about being on the edge of your seat when you get into trouble, trust me it's still there and a lot more fun. Instead of worrying about running into a random battle you have no control over that could cut your game short, you worry about the monster that really isn't that far away catching a glimpse of you and not being able to run fast enough to get away, or running into a group of monsters you can't sneak around. I'll say that this is more fun anyday of the week. I'd much rather be in control and on the edge of my seat than worried about a totally random game mechanic screwing me over.

Vivisteiner
11-26-2006, 02:24 PM
^^Relax man. Why worry over random battles? I dont see why non-random battles are any funner unless if the encounter rate is much too high or the enemy strengths are poorly matched to your own.

The skill is to prepare yourself for any possible random enemy that can come before you run around and get attacked. You need to be prepared for anything.

Whenyou see the enemy on screen, you can adapt your battle setup before you fight them.

Both ways are different. I find both ways interesting.

VeloZer0
11-28-2006, 01:40 PM
I can't say how you could call XII remotely difficult. Sure the PSX games weren't extremely challenging, but in FFXII I never had to go below 2/3 mana on a boss.

When I was supposed to go to Sword of Kings place (which name I can't remember the spelling of) I accidentally went to the Feywood and didn't notice till I explored the entire map that I wasn't supposed to be there. That was the difficulty level I think would be appropriate for the game.

Rocket Edge
11-28-2006, 02:29 PM
To level up. If we could choose to not fight monsters randomly we wouldn't be ready for some of the boss fights.

Cid Vicious
11-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Random encounters can get annoying for me when I'm trying to get to a certain location or just want to explore for hidden paths/invisible walls, although this would be less iritating if FF games actually had dungeon maps, at least then you would know where the exit was and could seek out the treasure without going back and forth. The only time random encounters have any importance for me is in the final dungeon or if the enemies drop anything usefull.

A few things that would make random encounters less boring would be if they were spread out so you had an encounter every 10-20 steps against a semi-tough enemy instead of every 4 or 5 against a weakish enemy that is just time wasting and dull to fight as they other no serious challenge. This was a problem with the extra dungeons on DoS, the encounters were too frequent and usally against nothing but Goblins and Scorpions, it destroyed the enjoyment after a while.

Dark_Mage_Palom
11-28-2006, 04:09 PM
WHY do Square always use the random encounter system?

Why not?

Mirage
11-28-2006, 04:17 PM
yeah...but theres a seperate feeling when you first enter an area and have no f**king idea how the enemies are, in the other system, you at least have an idea what the enemies look like, in the RES you have no clue till the first battle.
So, seeing a new monster on a separate screen before fighting gives you a completely different, much more awesome feeling than if you see a new monster on the field screen, is that so?

Makes no sense to me. A new monster is a new monster, no matter how I first get to know it.

feioncastor
11-28-2006, 04:42 PM
This has buggered me for many years now: why in the world do Square constantly use the random encounter system?
I guess it's supposed to force the character into leveling up the characters.
BUT, you know what?
Do you know of the game Secret of Mana?
That game consists completely of optional battles: you can pass the VISIBLE enemies if you want to, or you can fight them.
AND you can even stop fighting them in the middle of the battle; you don't have to finish it.
AND - that system made me fight MORE enemies than I ever do in FF games, because I knew I could choose it myself whenever I wished to.
In FF games (and lots of other RPG:s in general) enemies just show up randomly all the time.
IT'S SO ANNOYING!

Why, WHY do Square always use this stupid system?
Don't give me this "the consoles can't handle visible enemies", because lots of RPG:s for the SNES use visible enemies and optional battles.

Moogle Charm get.

Anyway, the random encounter system seems to be a trademark of FF games. Square released Chrono Trigger, which had enemies totally visible and then you'd engage them, right there. No screen shift, no swishing sound or anything. And you mentioned Secret of Mana. Square has released MANY games that employ systems other than the random encounter system. And every FF game (as far as I know) gives you the opportunity to run from most fights. Sure, it's difficult in many of the games, and still annoying to have the screen go "swoooooooosh" while you're making a mad dash to the save point, but the option exists and the system adds challenge to the game.

So Square has many games with no random encounters, but the FF games have a few things that hold them together. Cid, Airships, Chocobos, and apparently random battles.

As I said, Moogle Charm. Get it and you'll find satisfaction.

Ender
11-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Sure, it's difficult in many of the games, and still annoying to have the screen go "swoooooooosh" while you're making a mad dash to the save point, but the option exists and the system adds challenge to the game.

That trademark "swoosh" is one of the worst sounds in the history of gaming. ;)

Anyway, the first FF draws a lot from Dungeons and Dragons, which is basically a random-encounter overworld (generally at the DM's discretion) with a turn-based battle system. In fact since DnD laid the framework for early RPGs, you see that system employed in a lot of games and game series that date back to the early days of programming and game design. Since the system was "part of the series" it stuck even when we now have the technology to employ more complex encounters and battles.

Basically, in the beginning of computer gaming, when maps were thematic representations of where your characters were traveling, random encounters made a degree of sense. You weren't seeing the environment intimately, just being given a framework for guiding your party. Nowadays, when you're moving your party through a 3D environement that is essentially trying to provide a true (if artistic) representation of the world you're traveling through, an enemy should not appear out of thin air and attack you.

So I for one, hope it goes away. The "off-screen spawning" system is significantly better IMO...as long as you can make the monsters undertake sensible actions besides walking around in circles or back and forth endlessly down a cooridor when you're not battling them.

Mirage
11-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Ender speaks the truth, it's not unusual that the DM rolls dice for chance of encounter as well as what kind of enemy that attacks.

It was even thanks to DnD that we got Bahamut ;).

Peter_20
11-29-2006, 05:21 PM
This is an attempt to describe how random encounters feel.

*falls down to bottom of cave, ten floors too*

"Damn it, we gotta get outta here; where are we, Barato?"
"Um, let's see, Lallafa: if we make it to the exit at the top, we should make it out"
"OK"

*starts moving*

RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!

*keeps moving again, hoping that the next inevitable random encounter won't be too frustr...*

ANOTHER RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!

*runs from random encounter, and keeps climbing*

YET ANOTHER RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!

*checks the area*

"Um, Gostapel, where are we now?"
"Don't ask me, seems like a dead end..."
"No! Why the hell isn't the Exit spell working?
This sucks"

*keeps climb...*

RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!!!!!

*almost dies, and keeps climbing upwards, upwards, upwards*

"Well, Barato, is that the exit over there?"
"No, it's the door to the next floor"
"WHAT?!"
"...We've just finished 10% of this dungeon"
"What the heck, what have we been climbing, then?
"Every floor in this dungeon consists of lots of smaller floors... that's what was stated in professor Gast's report"
"DAMN!"

*proceeds angrily, and...*

GETS INTO ANOTHER RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!

*dies*

"NO!!!!!!!!! :("

game over :(:(:(

Dell
11-30-2006, 05:32 AM

Like Vivi22 said, more annoying. And yes, FFXII is very challenging. In random battles, the amount of enemies you fight are limited. While non-random encounter battle have the amount of enemies to be unlimited. Yes, even 100. Plus, the enemy in FFXII knows how to cast simple White Magic (Cure) and Green Magic (Protect, Shell etc.). And they like to ambush you, they like to gang-up on one of your party member, possible the weakest. They also know how to run when they realise they're going down. Ghostly enemies often call zombies to hit you. There's a dungeon called Pharos at Ridorana in FFXII which is three times a dungeon (Or four, if you count the optional place). And enemies in there are hard. Plus, FFXII use FFII system of putting hard monster in easy dungeon. But they're neutral (Unless if you make them agressive).

crazybayman
12-05-2006, 07:45 PM
This is an attempt to describe how random encounters feel.

*falls down to bottom of cave, ten floors too*

"Damn it, we gotta get outta here; where are we, Barato?"
"Um, let's see, Lallafa: if we make it to the exit at the top, we should make it out"
"OK"

*starts moving*

RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!

*keeps moving again, hoping that the next inevitable random encounter won't be too frustr...*

ANOTHER RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!

*runs from random encounter, and keeps climbing*

YET ANOTHER RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!

*checks the area*

"Um, Gostapel, where are we now?"
"Don't ask me, seems like a dead end..."
"No! Why the hell isn't the Exit spell working?
This sucks"

*keeps climb...*

RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!!!!!

*almost dies, and keeps climbing upwards, upwards, upwards*

"Well, Barato, is that the exit over there?"
"No, it's the door to the next floor"
"WHAT?!"
"...We've just finished 10% of this dungeon"
"What the heck, what have we been climbing, then?
"Every floor in this dungeon consists of lots of smaller floors... that's what was stated in professor Gast's report"
"DAMN!"

*proceeds angrily, and...*

GETS INTO ANOTHER RANDOM ENCOUNTER!!!!!

*dies*

"NO!!!!!!!!! :("

game over :(:(:(
That's what makes FF's challenging. If it really annoys you that much, perhaps you shouldn't play them.

BG-57
12-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I can live with random encounters as long as I eventually get the ability to stop them at will: Moogle Charm or Enc-None, for example.

Moogle Charm is never more useful than in the Fanatic's Tower. Zip up, take the treasures, kill two bosses, zip down.

That being said, I actually like the random encounters in FFT. It's nice to use them to level up the party between boss fights.

Kakashi Sensei
12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
I got no problem with the random encounters as much as I do the leveling process, I'm impatient damnit. I got places to go! (Well, not really, but whatif I did? lol!)

Like in Zelda I was able to beat a boss I wasn't suppose to encounter untill I had eight hearts with only four hearts!

I could never pulloff only being at half the expected level in a Final Fantasy game!

Mirage
12-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Zelda is an action adventure, it relies far more on player skill than actual character strength. Unlike most RPGs.

Slothy
12-12-2006, 11:20 PM
I could never pulloff only being at half the expected level in a Final Fantasy game!

With proper planning and preparation most FF games are possible at rediculously low levels. Heck, I hate level grinding so much that I usually am pretty underleveled at many points in any given FF game. Makes things challenging. :D

The Unknown Guru
12-13-2006, 03:15 AM
I like random encounters. If you hate them that much, then it really isn't that hard to run. Also, it makes it much easier to level.

Finally, FFXII, Mystic Quest, Chrono Trigger (Cross?), and Kingdom Hearts are not based on random encounters.

Slothy
12-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I like random encounters. If you hate them that much, then it really isn't that hard to run. Also, it makes it much easier to level.

I think the point that many of us who are sick of random encounters are trying to make is being a little lost here. For me at least, the problem isn't the fact that there are battles to begin with. That's where the gameplay is, and I actually like fighting battles so running is a none issue. What I hate is that you can't see them coming or avoid them if need be in the first place. Out of nowhere you get this jarring screen indicating that you're being whisked off to fight some battle you never saw coming. It's annoying, surprising, and completely takes me out of the experience. I find that games that have no transition from field screen to battle are far more immersive. For those times when I'd rather not fight at all and just want to get to a save point or continue with some of the story or exploration, it grates my nerves and takes all the enjoyment out of the game.

And I believe it's been said before, but it doesn't make it any easier to level. If anything it only opens up the possibility for some hands free levelling techniques which I find pretty cheap anyway.

Wild0ne
12-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah the random battles are annoying... I mean there are sooo many other ways to do it. The Chrono Trigger way was nice, Earthbound was nice, even Pokemon with the critters only being in the grass when you want the battle is better. I mean starting out you want to get into the game a bit before you have to hack at enemies every four seconds. At the end you dont want to have to fight week enemies every 2 seconds trying to get somewhere youve been before.

Bunny
12-13-2006, 02:09 PM
My only complaint was that they did not institute an auto combat function. That is one of the things I like about Final Fantasy XII, I don't have to pay attention to a fight at all times unless it is a boss fight, mark, elite mark, or if I accidently aggro a dozen and a half monsters.

And I only use a total of two or three gambits for each character. I'm pretty sure that if I left the game on overnight with all my gambits set up properly, I could beat it in my sleep.

But yeah, like Breath of Fire, I'd like an "all out" function next time they use the random encounter system.

lufia
12-29-2006, 01:11 PM
another rpg that didn't use random encounters is lufia 2 ;) .

ff from 7-10 i didn't mind. but ff3 ds and ff4 gba were annoying as hell. after a battle you can encounter another battle in less than 2 secs or 1 sec. they really short games if it wasn't for the high encounter rates.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-31-2006, 05:58 AM
I am compelled to point out that while yes, D&D did pioneer the random encounter thing, I know of no competent DM who uses that system with any regularity, if at all.

'cause, you know, it's stupid.