PDA

View Full Version : FFIII :D

escobert
11-26-2006, 02:05 AM
So yeah, I picked up this game and a DS the other day FRIGGEN AWSOME! I love this game so far. I'm about 4 hours in. It's just wonderful, fastpaced so far and the graphics are perty. Story is basic FFishness (I hadn't played III at all prior to this) So yeah fun fun fun!

Zeromus_X
11-26-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm glad you enjoy it. :) :cat:

Lunadis
11-26-2006, 03:19 AM
Sounds like you're having just as much fun as I am. XD
The opening cinematic was so moving and captivating, I was sucked into the game the minute I fired it up.
It's an amazing game from start to finish. If you enjoy it now, you'll only enjoy it more as it progresses.

Dr Unne
11-26-2006, 03:48 AM
I find the game to be pretty slow-paced actually. The battles drag. It's fun in spite of that. Thankfully the random encounter rate seems not to be very high.

Yamaneko
11-26-2006, 03:49 AM
I'm enjoying most battles. Definitely not as fun as FFV's battle system, but it's still pretty deep.

escobert
11-26-2006, 03:54 AM
For me, it;s mainly that I can do EVERYTHING with the touch screen. I LOVE it! I hate holding the DS, it's unconfertable in my hands. So Ilike being able to set it down and just use the stylus :D

BillyBologna
11-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Yeah i just got it last week too i just hit the 25 hour mark. I've had DS since it came out 2 years ago or whenever that was and tbh, i havent got any game for it except for one. No games look that great to me on the Ds but as soon as i saw this i knew i had to get it, and im glad it did i cant get enough of it.

Muse
11-26-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm still pondering about whether or not if I should get this game.

escobert
11-26-2006, 11:42 PM
I just broke through the rock thingy with the air ship, I've climb up the Dragons area there and faught Bahumt and he kicked my ass every time! I'm level 13, with a red mage, black mage, theif, and warrior. everyone has the best armor and weapons possible. and all magic I can obtain has been. what the hell do I do!?

BillyBologna
11-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Run away! :D

really

Tavrobel
11-26-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm glad you enjoy it. :) :cat:

Same.

I just broke through the rock thingy with the air ship, I've climb up the Dragons area there and faught Bahumt and he kicked my ass every time! I'm level 13, with a red mage, black mage, theif, and warrior. everyone has the best armor and weapons possible. and all magic I can obtain has been. what the hell do I do!?

Run, and go to the next area, which may or may not make you cast Mini on all of your allies.

I'm still pondering about whether or not if I should get this game.

Ponder no more and buy it. It's worth the twelve 99:99 hour investment.

escobert
11-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Ahh there we go xD thanks.

undnce
11-27-2006, 11:25 AM

you'v just gotta listen to Desch

Sefie1999AD
11-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I haven't played the DS version, but what I liked about the NES version was that it felt a lot like a traditional old-school FF, and it had a lot of fun things to do, places to explore and jobs to try.

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 04:35 PM
How do you hit multiple targets with a spell using the touch screen? If you touch open space, it takes that as a "cancel". If you touch the enemy already targeted, it just hits him. If you touch the other enemy, it targets him and untargets the previously targeted enemy.

I'm sure it's something stupid that I'm just not seeing. It took me about 5 hours of gameplay before I noticed the option to cast spells on all party members from the sub-menu. It's tough to get everyone mini'd for Tozas when you only have 3 minis. Thank God for the forest of recovery, right there.

I think they've done a fine job porting this game onto a totally new format. They lost a little bit, but not a whole lot. They certainly retained more than DoS did. They made the monk pretty worthless in the DS one. And I think they made the Freelancer a bit too good. I mean, I was actually considering keeping a freelancer when I got the first set of jobs. There's no way you'd keep an onion kid after getting jobs on the NES because Onion Kids are totally worthless (Until you get onion equip). The Freelancers can use magic and can wield heavy swords, including the Wight Slayer. If I remember right, even the Warrior can't use the Wight Slayer. Only the Red Mage can.

The Touch Screen gets frustrating, so I really don't use it much. I can't ever seem to get off my ship and I've accidently selected the wrong battle commands for Ingus a few times. Plus, I'm more accustomed to using a D-pad or analog stick, so I'm having trouble adjusting to movement with the touch screen.

But all in all, I'm loving this game. I just recently got around to playing the NES version and it was freaking excellent. I got to Eureka, but decided I'd wait until I had it on DS to finish it.

escobert
11-27-2006, 06:33 PM
How do you get the submenu to show with the touch pad? I pretty much use touch screen only playing so far. and I have to say I lvoe the touch pad :D

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 06:37 PM
If you stand still for a second, a little button will appear in the top right-hand corner that says "Menu". And the same goes for the camera that you can normally zoom in by pushing "L". If you wait a sec, you can zoom in with the little camera icon in the top left corner. And also, the same goes for talking to a guest following you around. If you stand still for a sec, you'll see a little talking balloon thing in the bottom right corner.

JuicyGoo
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Just bought the DS for this game and am loving it! I'm at the part where I have to cast Mini on my team.

I really want to pick up the GBA FF Advanced games but am trying to hold off so I can focus on this one. Plus my girlfriend is already making fun of me for being a dork. :rolleyes2

From what I've read on other posts, it sounds like using Monks are a good idea for building up HP. I was just building up jobs (Thief, Black Mage, White Mage and Warrior). Any more general job advice would be appreciated, thanks!

feioncastor
11-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Just bought the DS for this game and am loving it! I'm at the part where I have to cast Mini on my team.

I really want to pick up the GBA FF Advanced games but am trying to hold off so I can focus on this one. Plus my girlfriend is already making fun of me for being a dork. :rolleyes2

From what I've read on other posts, it sounds like using Monks are a good idea for building up HP. I was just building up jobs (Thief, Black Mage, White Mage and Warrior). Any more general job advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I played the NES version, and I had a monk the entire game, until I got the Karateka, and then I had one of those for the rest of the game. The Karateka is prettymuch a beefed up Monk. My second character (Arc, in the DS version) was a barefisted Monk/Karateka the entire time. And the HP difference was definitely noticeable and cool.

However, on the DS version, I've done the same thing. Arc has been a Monk since I had the Monk job class available. Except for when I fought Hein, I made him a Scholar just for that fight, then changed him back to a monk right after. And Arc actually has the lowest HP of my four characters, and they're all the same level. It doesn't make much sense at all, but my Monk is still awesome, despite the apparent HP handicap.

You have a good team there with those four jobs, but you'll soon see why Black Magic just isn't that valuble in this game. It's great for the first parts of the game, but after a while, you get jobs that will surpass the usefulness of the Black Mage. Thiefs are great. Give them two weapons. Heck, give everyone two weapons. I've never found shields to be too useful in this game (except in a few fights), so I give double weapons to anyone doing attacking. It makes a big difference. My biggest issue with the Black Mage is the magic system in that game (also present in FF1). You only have a few casts of your best spells, so you're reluctant to use them in a jam because you want to save them for the boss of the dungeon you're in. And they stop doing substantial damage, pretty quickly. You'll notice your melee fighters getting more and more hits per attack as their job level increases into the 20s and 30's. My Monk usually gets about 14 hits on a regular attack, but he's level 40 something.

For now, I'd say you have a good group with those four. You'll see what I mean when you get the rest of the jobs available.

JuicyGoo
11-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely ditch the shields and try out the Monk.

Kryton87
11-29-2006, 01:37 AM
I used a monk for the first part of the game, but it wasn't all that worth it. I usually try to switch my jobs every time I get a chance to buy new stuff and heal. Not all of them, but many. I beat the game a few days ago... its pretty sweet. The Dark World is awesome.

As for jobs, My final team was actually nearly the same as my final team when I beat played the game on my GNES.

I never once used shields... though there may have been times when I should have. I have tried out most of the jobs, if only for one fight.
Geomancers are the best mid-game fighters. After you get two bells to equip them with, take one and go to town. Their Terrain skill isn't all that good except in some key places, Most of them I'll need to play the game again to find... But their attack rate is amazingly high. My geomancer in many cases was either Out-damaging, or matching with my Dragoon. After I got access to the Black Belt it became less useful... but Geomancers are far better than they look.
Vikings are probably the same way, but I only used them for the fight against Goldor, so I wouldn't know. Then I changed my entire party to Dragoons for the fight with Garuda, and then switched off two of them for the Dark Knight, and Geomancer.
I switched between Dark Knight and Fighter a few times...
Fighters are amazingly good.
I found however, that the Knight lacked hitting power until later in the game.
The Thief is useful only when you don't intend to fight any battles. Either when you're mini, or when you're trying to fight something much higher level than you. Stealing items its cool, but unfortunately not all that useful in this game. Though I've heard you can steal Zantetsugan from Odin... I could be wrong about that...
Black Mages are cool, but only when elemental damage is crucial (Hyne), or when physical damage is severely lacking (mini). Most of the rest of the time, they'll do what they need to, but don't have the right damage output to be all that useful. They're far more limiting than they are useful. Unless you know what everything is weak to. Then I could see them being good.
Hunters are the same way. Their damage output is pretty decent, but if you give them the right arrows, their damage will skyrocket. And its nice that they attack from the brave position of being out of range.

yeah... I could say more, but I should save it for my walkthrough...

Zeromus_X
11-29-2006, 01:45 AM
You can steal the Gugnir from Odin. But, your Thief's job level has to be pretty crazy high.

BillyBologna
11-29-2006, 02:08 AM
That stinks for me, I use in my Main group setup a Dragoon and a Thief and i always try to steal from every boss and even most mobs i face. I just happen to try out Knight job for the character that is usually main Thief for the odin fight just for the hell of it. So i didnt steal when i was there and now im way past that part of the game. It would have been really good too because i dont have access to wi-fi so i cant get any of the good stuff.

As far as Thief goes though i see alot of people saying they are not good for fighting and weak ect but dont even have any of those special final weapons i just have in one hand Lust Dagger and in the other hand Moonring Blade. However i havent entered the dark world yet i have just done the tower and eurika(sp?) so maybe thf will be weak in there i dunno.

Zeromus_X
11-29-2006, 02:14 AM
The Thief is a monster, with incredible Agility. But his defense is rather poor.

KH-Cloudy
11-29-2006, 02:37 AM
This game is awesome :) I love this one leveling up place called Bahamut's Lair :) Did I need spoiler tags for that?

Cid Vicious
11-29-2006, 04:58 PM
The Thief is indeed a monster in this game. I was amazed at how powerful a JC it was, it's responsible for my highest hit damage of over 19000 and highest combo of 32. I gave it to Arc soon after I got it, as I was bored having him as a Black Mage or Bard. The first strike he had hit for over 6000, it's just a shame he can't equip any Crystal gear, he'd be untouchable if he could.

On another note is anyone else suprised by the slight easyness of the game. All I ever read in the reviews was how tough a game it is, but I'm about to go into the Dark World and it hasen't been that much of a challenge yet. I've only died once, and only needed to use 2 Pheonix Downs. Also the encounter rate is much lower than most of the other FF's, alot of the time I can go through a whole dungeon floor without a single random encounter. Plus there's never anymore than 3 enemies on screen at a time, unlike the 4-8 you can get in FFI-V. Although maybe I've just been hardened from my playing experience of IV + V. :p

KH-Cloudy
11-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Whre's The Thief?

Cid Vicious
11-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Whre's The Thief?You get the Thief in the first batch of Jobs.
My advice is to give it to Arc as soon as.

KH-Cloudy
12-01-2006, 12:06 AM
I thought you guys meant The Thief was a monster =\, but THIS GAME HAS 3 OF MY FAVORITE WEAPONS :)

feioncastor
12-03-2006, 09:43 AM
I thought you guys meant The Thief was a monster =\,
The Thief job class get ridiculously powerful, fairly quickly. It's a job that you can really use through almost the whole game.

but THIS GAME HAS 3 OF MY FAVORITE WEAPONS :)

Which ones?

Sefie1999AD
12-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Is the Thief really that great in FFIII DS? I always had Magic Keys in the NES version so I never needed his ability to pick locks, and I only used him for his ability to instantly run away from battles. Using other characters for running away often failed, and the defence of your party goes down when you're trying to run away.

KH-Cloudy
12-03-2006, 05:18 PM
but THIS GAME HAS 3 OF MY FAVORITE WEAPONS :)
Which ones?

Ultima Weapon, Ragnorak, and Exclabur(sp)