PDA

View Full Version : The Catcher In The Rye

I Don't Need A Name
11-26-2006, 08:02 PM
anyone read this book. any opinions on it. its probebly the only book that i am doing in English, that i like (only halfway through though, so spoiler tag plot lines please :) )

Jowy
11-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Holden. ;_;

One of my personal favorites. It's an easy read too. I finished it in two sittings.

charliepanayi
11-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Possibly my favourite book, and in Holden Caulfield one of literature's best characters. He may not always be sympathetic but he's a compelling voice to listen to. And the book itself is by turns hilarious and painfully sad. It's just a shame that its fame caused JD Salinger to turn himself into a virtual recluse, with very little writing produced afterwards.

tan
11-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, I found it to be a bit depressing, but it was really profound. I laughed throughout the book because I just feel embarrassed for Holden when he did some things, and I thought he was a relatable character. A lot of girls who I know have read the book didn't really like it (they thought it was boring), but I guess it's just because they can't relate (I think o_o). It's definitely one of my favorites.

I Don't Need A Name
yeah. i love the character of Holden, as i relate to him alot. its a shame he never meets Jane Gallagher though (my english teacher told me that part)

Moon Rabbits
I love this book.

Spatvark
11-26-2006, 08:22 PM
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. *assassinates a few people*

Nominus Experse
11-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I am not finding it to my liking

I fail to see why this book is hailed as anything special. The language skills are crude and rudimentary. Some of the characters are ridiculously flat.

I can see some of the humour in the book, and see some of its thought process in making use of a crude method of language skills. But I still am unable to see why people hail this book as anything special.

I Don't Need A Name
11-26-2006, 08:38 PM
its because it was one of the first books to criticise the world, nameingly america, and show how it is underneath its 'vinere of respectability

Nominus Experse
11-26-2006, 08:49 PM
its because it was one of the first books to criticise the world, nameingly america, and show how it is underneath its 'vinere of respectability
I sometimes wonder if we give books that were once contraversial too much credit today. I understand that it must have been "shocking" and quite unheard of to use the style of writing and view, the coarse language itself, and the highly cynical nature of the main character's thoughts and actions. But it's lost its edge, I believe. The shocking value of reading chrissake and god damn it or sonuvabitch is lost to me, and becomes more of an annoyance than anything else.

However, I am not yet finished with the book, so its story may take a dramatic turn for the better.

I do enjoy the themes, however. These, I think, are what remdeem it enough to have me continue reading.

Perhaps it would be best to criticize the book once I have completed it, but it simply hasn't impressed me like I thought it would.

I Don't Need A Name
11-26-2006, 08:52 PM
that annoyed me at first, but i got use to the language use, and took in what the book had to offer. how far into it are you?

Nominus Experse
11-26-2006, 08:54 PM
that annoyed me at first, but i got use to the language use, and took in what the book had to offer. how far into it are you?
A little less than halfway.

I just started it an hour or so ago.

I Don't Need A Name
11-26-2006, 08:55 PM
ahh, your round about where i am in it. bear in mind though, that i have had to study each bits in depth :(

I Took the Red Pill
11-26-2006, 09:07 PM
It's an excellent book, I love how Holden has an opinion on the smallest thing and will go completely off track from normal conversation. My second read-through I read the whole thing in one night because it was so good.

Twisted Tinkerbell
11-26-2006, 09:10 PM
It's my favourite book, I read it by choice and when I started I couldn't put it down.

Shoeberto
11-26-2006, 09:11 PM
I thought it was fantastic.

And I don't think it's popular because it criticized our lifestyle, I think it's popular because Holden is such an easy character to relate to - his manner of thinking, including his criticism of society, being a large part of that.

If you don't see the world as Holden sees it, you probably won't enjoy the book. If you do, it's a fantastic experience - if even liberating - to know that you're not alone in all of those thoughts.

I Don't Need A Name
11-26-2006, 09:13 PM
I thought it was fantastic.

And I don't think it's popular because it criticized our lifestyle, I think it's popular because Holden is such an easy character to relate to - his manner of thinking, including his criticism of society, being a large part of that.

If you don't see the world as Holden sees it, you probably won't enjoy the book. If you do, it's a fantastic experience - if even liberating - to know that you're not alone in all of those thoughts.

i totally agree. no offence you guys, cos i know alot of good americans (all on this site), but one of the main reasons i like this is becaus i relate with holden, as i have always criticised americans

Nominus Experse
11-26-2006, 09:23 PM
I can't really relate to a character with a horrid vocabulary and speech. Nor can I care when he simply sits there and lets time and people carry him from place to place. However, there are certain aspects of Holden's character that I can relate to, which, as you said, does enrich the experience. The cynical, sarcastic outlook is one of a few.

It's simply that Holden reminds me of the idiots that sat in my high school classes and did nothing, and yet criticized the world. Such demeanor bothers me profusely.

His wandering mind is something we can all relate to in some fashion or form, and the book is somewhat interesting because of this. While most of his observations seem immature to me, some are witty and actually interesting.

The humour had its merits, but it quickly became something of a bore to me as it seemed to be playing the same type repeatedly.

But I have yet to finish the book, so it may yet prove to be better than my initial reactions.

I Don't Need A Name
11-26-2006, 09:26 PM
personally, i find his views mainly mature, and well informed. also, you seem to be making out that Holden is a very foul mouthed individual, who is very different from society. but if you went and spoke to alot of people, they would use his vocabulary, if not, worse vocab than him

Shoeberto
11-26-2006, 09:57 PM
I can't really relate to a character with a horrid vocabulary and speech. Nor can I care when he simply sits there and lets time and people carry him from place to place. However, there are certain aspects of Holden's character that I can relate to, which, as you said, does enrich the experience. The cynical, sarcastic outlook is one of a few.

It's simply that Holden reminds me of the idiots that sat in my high school classes and did nothing, and yet criticized the world. Such demeanor bothers me profusely.

His wandering mind is something we can all relate to in some fashion or form, and the book is somewhat interesting because of this. While most of his observations seem immature to me, some are witty and actually interesting.

The humour had its merits, but it quickly became something of a bore to me as it seemed to be playing the same type repeatedly.

But I have yet to finish the book, so it may yet prove to be better than my initial reactions.
His language was intended to sound like an everyman. Everything about his character was intended to take upon the characteristics of the everyman. He is like the jerks that sit around and do nothing, but at the same time he's like those who try to get ahead but don't understand why it doesn't happen. He's a very human character.

Really, though, if you don't immediately feel a connection, the book's a lost cause. He won't grow on you; obviously not everyone who reads it is going to feel like they've been in the shoes of Holden Caufield. What's astounding about the book is just how many people do.

Tavrobel
11-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Loved the book; it's a quality read.

Twisted Tinkerbell
11-26-2006, 11:39 PM
I have to admit, I did feel a real connection with Holden when I read the book, I think it was that connection that made me fall in love with that book.

Nominus Experse
11-27-2006, 02:52 AM
I just now finished the book...

It was interesting in some ways, but no, it didn't really grow on me. Usually, when I complete a book, I feel something afterwards - most commonly reflecting on the greatness or completion of the story. When I finished this book, it didn't trigger any sort of thoughts or feelings of completion, happiness, whathaveyou. It was just done, and I didn't really feel like it was worth my time.

I guess, as you implied, some people cannot relate or care enough about this tale. I really wanted to enjoy it, and I wished to revel in the contraversy and whatnot of the book, but I feel that as the reader of the story, I should not have to stretch myself to odd ends to make a book, personally, worth reading.

It simply did not appeal to me. I wouldn't term it as a bad book, unlike My Antonia (a completely unrelated yet all the same horrific drawl of a book), but it most definately was not one I found to be personally memorable.

I'm glad others enjoy it though. In some ways, I am jealous.

Hawkeye
11-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Talk about the a cynic bastard pointing out the phoniness of society. The book was fantastic.

fire_of_avalon
11-27-2006, 04:58 AM
Some of the characters are ridiculously flat.

Those things are completely, utterly intentional. :)

This is one of my favorite books in the universe.

Resha
11-27-2006, 09:21 AM
An amazing book. One of my favourites, and it's so poignant in a simple, understandable way. I sure could relate to Holden sometimes, and there's something wonderful about his fuck all attitude.

Rusty
11-27-2006, 11:29 AM
I haven't read it, but it certainly looks interesting. I have just started to read the "classics" - but I admit I find it hard to get into them. I might check out this book.

Croyles
11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
I really liked it to begin with, including Holden, but then gradually I started to really dislike Holden. I thought he was so insecure that he was a bastard. He never gave anyone a chance, and it annoyed me. I still had to finish the book though, cause I had to write a 3000 word coursework on it, which I got a B for I think.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-27-2006, 07:37 PM
It's the only book I've read this year. Brilliant it was

XxSephirothxX
11-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Fucking great book. I read it at work in one day. It was almost distressing to read, because Holden comes across so realistically that you can't help be be annoyed by him and feel sorry for him at the same time. He's probably one of the most real characters ever brought to life by a work of fiction.

I Don't Need A Name
11-27-2006, 08:42 PM
smurfing great book. I read it at work in one day. It was almost distressing to read, because Holden comes across so realistically that you can't help be be annoyed by him and feel sorry for him at the same time. He's probably one of the most real characters ever brought to life by a work of fiction.

yep my thoughts exactly!!

unlike My Antonia (a completely unrelated yet all the same horrific drawl of a book)
try reading Pride And Prejudice, then you will know how horrific a book can be

Shoeberto
11-27-2006, 09:35 PM
unlike My Antonia (a completely unrelated yet all the same horrific drawl of a book)
try reading anything by Jane Austen ever, then you will know how horrific a book can be
Fixed.

Croyles
11-27-2006, 09:40 PM
try reading anything by Jane Austen ever, then you will know how horrific a book can be
Fixed.

Too true!

I Don't Need A Name
11-28-2006, 04:26 PM
haha thanks, i assumed that they all would be bad, but i didnt know:D

Resha
11-28-2006, 04:29 PM
YOU'RE ALL WRONG. :( Pride and Prejudice is one of the BESTEST books in the universe!! Elizabeth!! Mr Darcy! He's perfection!!! And Jane Austen is awesome.

:( I never thought anti-Austen people existed.

I Don't Need A Name
11-28-2006, 05:01 PM
it's the most tedious, pointlessly boring book in existance. who gives a damn if they will marry!? it was obvious from the first time they met that they would get married in the end

Resha
11-28-2006, 05:38 PM
it's the most tedious, pointlessly boring book in existance. who gives a damn if they will marry!? it was obvious from the first time they met that they would get married in the end

I don't know. Maybe you found it that simple, but I love her style of writing and the whole story plot was really sweet and romantic. (And yes okay I like this kind of classic romance novel where it's not all fuckitty-fuck-fuck!) The characters were beautifully defined; hell, y'think people'd be piping on about the perfection of Mr Darcy two centuries after it was written!? I just love the way it spans out, and the twists in the plot -- Elizabeth and Mr Darcy <3

Ah :D Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Hope you don't think I'm being an Austen missionary of sorts and tryin' to convert you or nuffink. Just ranting about a book I love.

Back to Catcher in the Rye.

I dunno, did anyone else find the image Holden had of being the catcher in the rye one of the most fantastic things ever? Because I was obsessed with the idea of being the said catcher in the rye for ages and ages. It just seemed so ideal and perfect and AWAY from it all, which probably exactly what he wanted. Bejesus, no society to wallow in. Just rye rye rye!

XxSephirothxX
11-28-2006, 05:43 PM
I truly thought it was one of the saddest things I'd ever read. Not that there was anything wrong with the profession: just that it was such a noble, idealistic thought. And you knew he'd never be able to accomplish his dream, and would probably end up sliding further down the slippery slope he was on.

And sorry, Resha, but Jane Austen is absolutely atrocious. :p Pride and Prejudice was utterly predictable and valueless. There are much better love stories out there. And Austen's writing is particularly blech, but I'm not much of a fan of a lot of 18th/19th century literature, so that's partially just my distaste for the style of english. :D

Chocobo_head*
11-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I actually just finished reading The Catcher In the Rye. In my opinion, it was a really good book that I could relate to. I too, had to read it because of school and learned about everything in depth so it kinda made me like it more because I knew what the author or Holden was actually meaning.

But throughout the course of the book, I pityed Holden very much so. He had too high of expectations for the world and he always got hurt in the end...like when he goes back to the museum near the end of the book (except for Pheobe, course...she is my favorite character in the book)

But I have to say, one of the best endings I have ever read. When I read it, I was actually picturing the park and his hunter hat. And the whole point that he was telling the story when he was in a mental institution . I liked that concept to it. Stradlater also kinda reminds me of some boys today.

All in all, I liked it a lot and I will most likely be picking it up again the next chance I get (after all the papers and homework...and those Harry Potter books)

Imperfectionist
11-28-2006, 10:27 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, i'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. I loved Holden's character, he's so realistic and some of the things he says are fascinating. I liked the way he'd just go off on tangents and express himself about everything. Excellent stuff.

Shoeberto
11-28-2006, 10:41 PM
And sorry, Resha, but Jane Austen is absolutely atrocious. :p Pride and Prejudice was utterly predictable and valueless. There are much better love stories out there. And Austen's writing is particularly blech, but I'm not much of a fan of a lot of 18th/19th century literature, so that's partially just my distaste for the style of english. :D
Not to mention Emma, which presented such an ugly face to Victorian culture that I can't hardly stand thinking that the period ever existed.

I feel bad tearing into an author you like so much, Resha, but I had to do so much coursework on Emma that it feels good to rant :D So take no offense!

Resha
11-29-2006, 08:15 AM
I take none, dear Hsu! :D Haha, I love Emma too. I think I can understand why people don't like Austen, but I like her nonetheless.

As for coursework on Emma. Well now. I wouldn't like that. Doing coursework on Austen would be slightly less worse than doing coursework on...er...I dunno, Tolkien or someone. HEADACHES. Too stoic and prosy.

The Man
11-29-2006, 08:26 AM
The Catcher in the Rye is one of my favourite books of all time, and I probably won't be able to relate at all to anyone who doesn't at least appreciate it. Holden Caulfield is easily one of the greatest characters in literary history. It's a shame Salinger didn't write much else. Still need to read his short stories.

Jane Austen, I get the impression, was intended to be a bit of a satire on Victorian culture, but I was never able to get through an entire book of hers, because Victorian culture just doesn't interest me that much.

I Don't Need A Name
12-02-2006, 09:56 AM
I take none, dear Hsu! :D Haha, I love Emma too. I think I can understand why people don't like Austen, but I like her nonetheless.

As for coursework on Emma. Well now. I wouldn't like that. Doing coursework on Austen would be slightly less worse than doing coursework on...er...I dunno, Tolkien or someone. HEADACHES. Too stoic and prosy.

try doing coursework, and a speech on Pride And Prejudice! :( (oh, and sorry for attacking the author you love)...then again, doing coursework on Catcher makes the book lose part of its amazingness

Odaisé Gaelach
12-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. *assassinates a few people*

*cough* Lennon *cough*

I haven't read the book, so I can't pass judgement. But just as an interesting fact, Mark David Chapman read this book while he sat and waited outside the Dakota building, waiting for John Lennon.

When Lennon arrived, Chapman shot and killed him, then sat back down and read his book again until the police came.

Chemical
12-02-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm probably the only person who just didn't like that book.

It was my mother's favourite book and she had me read it for my 16th Birthday. I tried reading it again when I was 18 and again last summer.

I'm not fond of the book, I have no great arguements to support my choice - it's just a personal feeling.

I think it's because the journey and the honesty of the characters are so powerful and relatable that I can't help but feel disdainful and resentful.

It's like.... the things we hate the most are the things we hate about ourselves.

Jigsaw
12-02-2006, 06:59 PM
I thought it was ok, that kid has issues. So much fondness for ducks.