PDA

View Full Version : "Whatever floats your boat..."

Sylvie
11-27-2006, 03:46 AM
This is the worst fucking saying ever made. What the hell. Whatever floats your boat? So like you can fulfill all of your needs? Selfish asshole! :mad2:

So lets say I'm on a plane. Theres some hijacker kicking everyones ass. He says he's going to blow the plane up. Then some dip/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif says "Whatever floats your boat!" WTF. What about all the other fuckers on the plane? What about our boat? What about our damn needs? And why a boat? What about the planes? What about the cars? Stupid! Jesus. Thats like vehiclist discrimination or something. :mad2::mad2:

Meat Puppet
11-27-2006, 03:50 AM
I think it’s a rather swell saying, and I use it more often than “Whatever turns you on.”

Tavrobel
11-27-2006, 03:50 AM
It also applies that if someone is threatened by the floating of other boats, then it is logical to sink said enemy's boat, because it is applied to the second person, not the first, so it applies to all involved parties. Not only that, it rhymes (which is automatic win).

I've only ever heard someone use it when the genuinely don't care about the actions of others.

Se-davvero-esiste
11-27-2006, 03:53 AM
Maybe you're reading too much into it. Maybe its derived from some sort of water travel saying...like say, back when it was fashionable to travel by boat, a salty sea captain and his crew made a boat out of peanut brittle. And everyone told him that it wouldn't work and they exiled him from the town and in his escape from the swarm of angry villagers his peanut brittle boat sailed far enough for him to make his escape.

Peanut brittle...that's what floats my boat.

Yamaneko
11-27-2006, 03:59 AM
It beats, "Different strokes for different folks". Unless you're into that sort of thing of course.

Hawkeye
11-27-2006, 04:49 AM
This is the worst smurfing saying ever made. What the hell. Whatever floats your boat? So like you can fulfill all of your needs? Selfish asshole! :mad2:

So lets say I'm on a plane. Theres some hijacker kicking everyones ass. He says he's going to blow the plane up. Then some dip/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif says "Whatever floats your boat!" WTF. What about all the other smurfers on the plane? What about our boat? What about our damn needs? And why a boat? What about the planes? What about the cars? Stupid! Jesus. Thats like vehiclist discrimination or something. :mad2::mad2:You're missing half of the saying. It's, "Whatever floats your boat and doesn't sink mine." Does that answer your question?

XxSephirothxX
11-27-2006, 04:49 AM
Whatever gets it up, Genji.

blackmage_nuke
11-27-2006, 05:14 AM
This is the worst smurfing saying ever made. What the hell. Whatever floats your boat? So like you can fulfill all of your needs? Selfish asshole! :mad2:

So lets say I'm on a plane. Theres some hijacker kicking everyones ass. He says he's going to blow the plane up. Then some dip/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif says "Whatever floats your boat!" WTF. What about all the other smurfers on the plane? What about our boat? What about our damn needs? And why a boat? What about the planes? What about the cars? Stupid! Jesus. Thats like vehiclist discrimination or something. :mad2::mad2:
Ok then, whatever floats your airship

Sylvie
11-27-2006, 05:21 AM

So lets say I'm on a plane. Theres some hijacker kicking everyones ass. He says he's going to blow the plane up. Then some diphttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gif says "Whatever floats your boat!" WTF. What about all the other smurfers on the plane? What about our boat? What about our damn needs? And why a boat? What about the planes? What about the cars? Stupid! Jesus. Thats like vehiclist discrimination or something. :mad2::mad2:
Ok then, whatever floats your airship
http://www.diamondcomics.com/news/2000/12_04_00/4hulk_smash_1.jpg

Se-davvero-esiste
11-27-2006, 05:22 AM
Haha...ahh...this place rules. All of you guys are now among the top of the list on my "All Time Favorite People" section.

Xaven
11-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Maybe you're reading too much into it. Maybe its derived from some sort of water travel saying...like say, back when it was fashionable to travel by boat, a salty sea captain and his crew made a boat out of peanut brittle. And everyone told him that it wouldn't work and they exiled him from the town and in his escape from the swarm of angry villagers his peanut brittle boat sailed far enough for him to make his escape.
Oh, and to think I thought the root of said saying was sexual in nature.

This phrase is fine as long as you're referring to something that doesn't affect others. For example, if my friend decides to eat Crisco (ew) for lunch, I can say "Whatever floats your boat". It doesn't affect me at all, but is something that makes her happy.

Yes, it should not be treated as a universal phrase as already pointed out.

Se-davvero-esiste
11-27-2006, 05:57 AM
But...my post was about peanut brittle and its many MacGyver-esque uses...

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-27-2006, 06:03 AM
If someone was going to blow up a plane, I doubt anyone would say that. Consider the fact that it would not only end everyone else's life, but his as well. So I would think, for the most part, he would care about that.

"Whatever turns your crank" and "Knock yourself out/your socks off" Are two of my favorite saying that mean the same thing.

Martyr
11-27-2006, 06:09 AM

So lets say I'm on a plane. Theres some hijacker kicking everyones ass. He says he's going to blow the plane up. Then some dip/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif says "Whatever floats your boat!" WTF. What about all the other smurfers on the plane? What about our boat? What about our damn needs? And why a boat? What about the planes? What about the cars? Stupid! Jesus. Thats like vehiclist discrimination or something. :mad2::mad2:

"Whatever floats your boat" is a phrase derived from the very serious situation of a guys boat sinking.
Really, it's the kind of thing one often shouted in desperacy, "Do whatever it takes to keep your boat afloat! Throw out the food, the fish, the women and children! Work through the night in raw, unadulterated, salt that erodes through your flesh to patch the holes! Build it right at any expense! Do it!"

And, eventually, as we passed out of those rugged days of Eleanore Roosevelt and Theodore... Chipmunk (I don't know), the phrases and uses slackened in importance until something that would seem of vital significance is now a catchy little phrase that i will use at will. Because it floats my conversational technique like a proverbial boat.

What I hate is the term "proverbial" followed by whatever anecdotal nonsense that the word is adjective to. That term pisses me off because it just isn't necessary. Much like the word "Veritable."

theundeadhero
11-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Banana floats float my boat, baby.

Shlup
11-27-2006, 07:15 AM
The implication is that what's floating your boat is fine because it isn't bothering anyone else.

Sylvie
11-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Hey guys I did some research.

It turns out that this "saying" was actually a WWII code. Apparently, it meant:
"We float, you die!" and it ordered ships/ground units to kill everything but themselves. Heres a picture of it in action:

http://www.halcon.de/halcon/applications/imgs/surveillance-01-large.gif

See, the fuschia-boxed car is commanding the light blue-boxed car to kill those stupid bitches right in front of him. Soon they're all dead /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

The distant vehicles, green, blue, and red, are backup. Basically, if the light blue boxed car gets killed in some freak accident (like that would ever happen anyway), those guys rush in and drive-by shoot everyones asses. Nobody is safe.

Old Manus
11-27-2006, 07:46 AM
I actually had you down for the most Normal Member award

Sylvie
11-27-2006, 08:00 AM
More information I found on the code:

http://www.police.ac.be/images/moto.jpg

This photo was taken back in 1734, when World War II was forming. (to be exact, when George Washington launched a blitzkrieg on China.)

The 2 men on motorcycles are American soldiers. They're eying that car over there. At approximately 16:83 AM, these guys launched a signal "WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT!!"

Heres a direct quote, stated by Condoleeza Rice:

"At exactly that time, those 2 men pulled out bazookas and shot
that car right in the crotch."

This was a retalliation on the blitzkrieg. Apparently, that car was too badass for America.

NorthernChaosGod
11-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Why such hostility over a phrase?

Quindiana Jones
11-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Riiiiight......

Riana
11-27-2006, 10:26 AM
I usually say it whenever I'm asking my family what they want to eat for dinner.

Yeah I also use it as a horny term. :p

Rye
11-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Whatever blows up your skirt, as Sammie would say. ;)

Markus. D
11-27-2006, 12:02 PM
its alot more suited than "Whatever gets your pummer pumming"

or "Whatever Blows up your blouse"

Rocket Edge
11-27-2006, 12:07 PM
It's a cool.

Loony BoB
11-27-2006, 02:42 PM
I don't mind the saying.

Does anyone know what's up with "Cutting the mustard" though? I mean, it doesn't make sense to me at all.

Shaun
11-27-2006, 02:45 PM
All I can say about all these stupid metaphors: "Whatever."

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-27-2006, 03:01 PM
"Whatever floats your Boat... just make sure I'm there to laugh when it sinks." - My new revised version

White Raven
11-27-2006, 03:11 PM
I don't mind that saying. :)

I really can't stand people using the saying "Same difference." :mad2: It's just a jokey, deliberately illogical slang expression that doesn’t belong in the English language.

theundeadhero
11-27-2006, 04:12 PM
The difference in apples and carrots, and oranges and carrots is the same difference, depending on the context being spoken about. The apple and orange are both fruit, while the carrots are vegetables. The difference is the same.

Se-davvero-esiste
11-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Peanut Brittle...mmm...

McLovin'
11-27-2006, 07:24 PM
I prefer "Whatever melts your butter."

Jess
11-27-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't have a boat. :jess:

However, I don't mind the saying.

theundeadhero
11-27-2006, 09:15 PM