PDA

View Full Version : The Jobs are out of order, no?

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Okay, the first thing I want to ask actually relates to what I do next, since I've forgotten. What is the first thing you do when you get the Enterprise turned into an Airship? I remember going to to surface world, and not being able to see anything except an island with a temple and a cave on it, but I've gone to that island and nothing seems to be happening.

But onto my main concern. Did they give out the jobs in a different order? I don't remember getting "Thief" in the first set of jobs. And I thought you get Karateka in the second set of jobs, but I just got the second set and no Karateka/Black Belt

And one final concern, is the Monk/Karateka ever going to be worth it? I know in FF1, the Monk is frustratingly useless for most of the game, but toward the end, he becomes ridiculous and (in my experience) becomes a more powerful attacker than the Fighter/Knight.

That wasn't quite always true in the NES version of FF3 that I played recently, but it still was worth training a Karateka. The Monk/Karateka also gained a lot of HP every level up, making him valuble later if you want to change him a job that can make good use of that high HP. But in this version, I've had my monk as a monk since we got the first crystal, and he doesn't really have a pile of HP at all. In fact, all 4 of my characters have roughly the same HP each level.

Dr Unne
11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
The thief does appear in the first group of jobs you receive. I used him extensively.

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I remember using the Thief alot, but it wasn't until later. I probably had him and just didn't use him because I was hung up on my FF1 party, Warrior, Monk, Black Mage, White Mage.

What about Karateka? Is that in the third set of jobs?

And where do I go now that I've gotten off the floating continent?

Captain Maxx Power
11-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Once you leave the floating continent you'll want to find a ship wrecked in the middle of the ocean. It's kind of hard to describe where it is, but if you go towards the island with the temple, and then south to where the Sylx Tower sticks out of the water and then go south-westish. You should find it there. Yes, it is in the middle of nowhere. No, there's no dialogue or any indication that that's where you have to go next. Such is the way of old-school RPG's. Psychic ability is 30% of the skill involved, next to persistence.

You'll get the Karateka once you've done all the jazz involving the water crystal, and he's a notable improvement over the monk. Infact, it's not unfeasible to keep your main melee attackers as Karateka until you get Ninjas/need Dark Knights to get through the cave with splitting monsters.

Evastio
11-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Use Midget Breads to help you locate the temple.

Such is the way of old-school RPG's.
Hah hah. I liked how you quoted from Bahamut Lagoon. :D

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Use Midget Breads to help you locate the temple.

Heh, wanna know something funny? On the DS version, the top screen is a world map. All you can see are land formations, until you visit a city, and then it appears on the map. Midgebread just makes the cities appear for a second before you visit them. It's really useless in this version.

And shipwreck... Now I remember. I just have no idea what I did there. But I do recall going there.

EDIT - Okay, I seriously am certain the jobs are in a different order than you get them in the NES version I played. I didn't have a thief on my first run to Argass Castle, otherwise I would've used him to open the doors to the towers. And I don't think I got the Geomancer in the second set of jobs.

If memory serves, which it may not, the jobs came like this in the NES version:

1st set:
Warrior
Monk
Red Mage
White mage
Black Mage

2nd set
Knight
Thief
Hunter
Scholar

3rd set
Geomancer
Dragoon
Viking
M. Knight
Bard
Karateka
Conjeurer (sp?)

4th set
Warlock
Shaman
Summoner

I may be off by a few. Like I think Karateka may have come in the second set. But in the DS version, I got Geomancer in the second set. I'm fairly certain I didn't have a Geomancer that early on in the game... Maybe I did, I don't know... But I am pretty sure you don't get the Thief until the second set of jobs.

BillyBologna
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Karateka?? is this another word for Black belt or something?

Also i noticed the first 6 jobs they let you use are also the first 6 jobs you get in FFXI Warrior, Monk, Thief, White mage, Black mage, Red mage. Not sure if they did that on purpose or what but they probably did.

ValiantKnight
11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
and also the original 6 jobs of Final Fantasy I?

BillyBologna
11-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Oh yeah they just had Black belt as monk or something

Zeromus_X
11-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Karateka is now known as Black Belt. The Black Belt is an Earth Crystal job now.

Similarly, some other jobs have been switched around. I know Thief is one, and Onion Knight being the obvious one. Overall, it's not a big deal and gives variety to the gameplay.