PDA

View Full Version : Kefka's Backstory [Spoilers]

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 04:13 PM
He's introduced as a guy in the Empire (he's not really a soldier, more of a diplomat or advisor, I think) but you don't really hear much about where he came from. You don't really hear much about why he chose the path he chose. If I'm not mistaken, at one point Gestahl says that Kefka and Celes were given life to serve him, which would lead me to believe they had similar upbringings, and maybe grew up as a sort of foster brother and sister.

And through most of the game (prior to WoR), Kefka is a loyal servant of Gestahl, doing as he is ordered by Gestahl. Leo ordered him to be humane with the people of Doma, and he disobeyed Leo, but the punishment he recieved was a ruse, so obviously, the Emporor didn't mind that Kefka did that to the people of Doma. And Kefka continues to do as he is told by the Emporor. I'm not sure if the events in Thamasa involving Leo and the Espers were the idea of the Emporor, or if Kefka just did that on his own. But either way, the Emporor didn't seem to mind after it all unfolded.

Then Kefka loses it, by the statues. You know, the "Run! Run! Or you'll be well done!" part? Kefka seriously injures Gestahl, the guy who was something of a father to him, and then proceeds to push him off of the Floating Continent.

I was thinking it might've been that his anger snapped him when Celes stabbed him, and Kefka said he hated her a little bit. Because he flips out right then.

I was also thinking that maybe he realized that because of where he was, he had an opportunity he'd never get again. He had to take this chance to take the statues power and kill the Emporor, and then he'd have a ridiculous amount of power.

But it doesn't seem like Kefka wanted power. His goal wasn't to become powerful and then rule the world. Gestahl said there'd be no one to worship them if Kefka messed with stuff, and Gestahl was mostly right. Most people on the planet died right then.

So maybe Kefka wanted power so he could destroy the world with his power, rather than ruling it. It just makes me wonder why he'd want to destroy the world. I mean, Zemus was impatient, and Sephiroth was tyring to accomplish something "good", but Kefka really had no motive other than insanity. And if it was just that he's slap crazy, why did he follow orders and serve the Emporor for his whole life? Maybe he was always crazy, but was aware enough to know that the Emporor was far more powerful than he was, so he had to wait for the right moment to make his move.

I don't know, what do you think?

Avarice-ness
11-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't really think he didn't have a reason.. well a reason like Sephiroths. I think that to Kefka, a squirming half-way alive person was alot more entertaining than a non-moving dead person. He wanted the people to suffer, hence he's not killing everyone off. If he wanted everyone to die then he could have easily just started frying people one by one, but I don't really think that that was his intentions.

At risk of going all Psycologist on Kefka, him being able to control what the people did was prolly all he really wanted, and once he got his kicks of watching the people fear him then suffer (either be it they all loose the will to live and kill themselves or just don't fight him and they arn't as entertaining as they once were) that would prolly be when he'd kill everything. Since him and Celes were basicaly raised together, and Celes does have a good deal of emotional issues prolly 'caused by how she was raised, When Celes stabbed him, he prolly only snapped because for a good two seconds he may have thought she was on his side. I do think that if she had killed the others that Kefka would have still killed Ghestal and then Celes and all the things would play out just into alot worse Chaos, because like you said, it didn't seem like he wanted to rule.

He more so wanted to be the worlds 'punisher', he thought of himself as 'god', and that he could control all things, life and death. So when someone turned against 'god' he'd shine his Light of Judgement on the people, burning their places, killing them and sending them to a literal hell. Kefka wanted to have a sense of control over -everything- but at the same time wouldn't mind if they all died, but would rather watch the world suffer by his own doing than the emperors.

I say 'control' instead of 'rule' because Rule would imply that because of him there's some kind of order to things. Even a Tyranical Rule has an order to it, it's just... Tyranical. He just wanted to have the ultimate power over everything, which he did end up having.

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah, he did have power over everything.

Till I showed up with Gem Boxes, Economizers, Ultima and Setzer. He would've been better off if he just never got out of his little triangle thing, because as soon as that triangle wasn't on him anymore, we busted in there and toasted him.

Avarice-ness
11-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah, he did have power over everything.

Till I showed up with Gem Boxes, Economizers, Ultima and Setzer. He would've been better off if he just never got out of his little triangle thing, because as soon as that triangle wasn't on him anymore, we busted in there and toasted him.

Yep, but Kefka may have realized this and like 95% of the gamers have not.
Even when Kefka dies, he had done enough Damage to the world to have it be suffering for a really good amount of time even after his death. So even though you killed him, Kefka still wins in a way, because, Since the FFVI world doesn't have a self-healing world like FFVII, the world is going to take a VERY VERY VERY long time to fix itself up. Even if the people rebuild the houses, attempt to grow their vegitables back, who's to say a plate won't be trying to shift it's way back into place and 'cause an earthquake and then destroy everything they just rebuilt.
I'm sure Kefka had known, that even after his death, the world would still suck because of him.

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't understand how there is any dispute over who is more villainous, between Kefka and Sephiroth. I mean, Sephiroth didn't wipe out every single Moogle except one.

While Sephiroth is busy trying to help "mother", Kefka is throwing his "father" off a land mass floating in the clouds.

You're right, though. None of the characters in FF6 will be alive to see the world as it was. Kefka scarred it for a good long time. There's still people dying, even without him there to kill them. The land is barren and the air and water are polluted.

People don't get that fact about FF6. The bad guy actually succeeds in smiting the entire planet. Sure, people survived, but not that many. The choices he made on the floating continent brought an end to Gestahl's Empire, a feat Bannon and his buddies could only dream of. The Empire was too powerful. Gestahl was literally unstoppable, assuming his right hand man doesn't go nuts and betray him.

Kefka was so grand that he could even manage to get Ebott's Rock above water again, a feat Strago and that other "flamesbegone" guy could only dream of.

Bahamut2000X
11-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Well a bit more on Kefka's backstory. But firstly he's actually a General in the army, one of 3 (Celes and Leo being the other 2 of course.) I forget exactly where it's mentioned, but that's what I recall from my numerous play throughs.

But they do explain his insanity. A NPC in Vector mentions that Kefka was the first person to undergo Cid's experimental Magitek Knight creation process, which worked and made Kefka powerful and infused magic into his body, but after the process it made his mind snap. Later Celes went through a completely successful operation without the mind snapping part.

But yeah beyond that there isn't much back story on Kefka. >.>

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Kefka, a General? Didn't the guys at the camp say that if Kefka became a General, they'd go home? I'd assume that Kefka must not be a general. But I guess that means he is a Military Officer, if he's in consideration to be a general.

It seems like he does a lot of work unrelated to actual combat, though. He mostly serves as Gestahl's mouthpiece to a lot of groups, and he seems to be somewhat of a personal assistant.

Prior to his absorption of magic, he didn't seem too powerful ("Wait, he says. Do I look like a waiter?") He's a little bit tougher in the hills behind Narshe, but even then, he certainly isn't on par with a guy like Leo.

Kefka's role in the Empire is pretty cloudy, to me. I guess he must be a soldier, because the mention of the possibility of General, but he doesn't strike me as much of a soldier. However, if he wasn't a soldier, then why would they have infused him with Magitek? That's definitely a soldier-related thing.

Anyway, Kefka has more backstory than Dark King (from FFMQ), so he's okay in my book.

Avarice-ness
11-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Well a bit more on Kefka's backstory. But firstly he's actually a General in the army, one of 3 (Celes and Leo being the other 2 of course.) I forget exactly where it's mentioned, but that's what I recall from my numerous play throughs.

But they do explain his insanity. A NPC in Vector mentions that Kefka was the first person to undergo Cid's experimental Magitek Knight creation process, which worked and made Kefka powerful and infused magic into his body, but after the process it made his mind snap. Later Celes went through a completely successful operation without the mind snapping part.

But yeah beyond that there isn't much back story on Kefka. >.>

Leo and Celes both have General infront of their name at one point in the game.

During the Sabins Scenerio when they reach Doma the 'loud' soilder goes...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/FF30007.jpg

and then the other one responds with

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/FF30008.jpg

Kefka was more so the emperors ambassador than anything.

Bunny
11-27-2006, 06:12 PM

I wouldn't really label a failed experiment that drives a person literally insane, causing them to become drastically misanthropic and nihilistic as a "success". More of an extraordinary failure. But that is neither here nor there.

Kefka was the first volunteer for the Magitek experiments, it failed as said and he was driven insane. He is technically a general, a position that he no doubt earned by being active in the experiments and the Emperor's plans. Generals aren't strictly fighters, mind you, and Kefka was more of an intelligence officer than a forward combatant. More strategist, if you will.

I would also say that he understands combat a hell of a lot more than General Leo does. Leo's judgement was clouded by a sense of honor, one that prevented him from running away when that solution would have been best. Kefka, on the other hand, realized that sometimes it is better to run and live to fight another day than to die at the hands of your enemies. His only real flaw, and the reason he died, was he developed a massive ego because he honestly believed he was an all-powerful being, or maybe even a God.

Ender
11-27-2006, 06:23 PM
"a sadistic, fiendishly intelligent lunatic with a warped sense of humor, deriving pleasure from inflicting twisted, morbid death and terror upon innocent people"

"he is a textbook example of antiscocial personality disorder"

"symbolized as a killer clown, driven by a disordered mind to pursue destruction and chaos with as much panache as possible"

"he has been willing (and eager) to wreak as much havoc as possible upon innocent people"

That's from the Wiki description of The Joker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joker)from Batman, but it applies pretty well to Kefka IMO.

That's not to say that Kefka is FF version of The Joker, but The Joker was certainly one of the big inspirations for the character.

Whereas The Joker was rendered insane by the physical trauma caused by his chemical bath, my guess would be that Kefka went insane with the botched magitech infusion. His ties to The Joker character would suggest that Kefka is "fiendishly intelligent" though with a "disordered mind."

Basically, I envision him to have been a either a super-soldier/general or a wannabe, immensely proud and independent and with no concern for commoners or subordinates, who, rather than having any intense loyalty to the Emperor, saw the Empire as by far the best opportunity to prove his abilities...to himself.

Being a person who gained satisfaction and motivation solely from his own success, pre-lunatic Kefka shared a lot in common with many high-profile athletes...and like them looked for any advantage to "make himself better." Whereas a professional athlete might have resorted to steroids to boost himself from "hall-of-famer" to "best-ever," Kefka willingly joins the experimental magitech program out of a desire to view himself as the best solider/general/military mind in the world.

Then of course the "accident." His intelligence and his intense drive to consider himself "the best" are still there, but perhaps uncontrollable or unrecognizable even by himself. Those traits are also filtered, or perhaps used, by the chaotic, homicidal part of his personality that arose from his "deformation."

As to why he submits to the Emperor until his power grew incomprehensibly great on the floating continent, Kefka's quest for power is not about ruling land or people. The Empire had the resources Kefka wanted, but I think the power over land and people that the Emperor specifically had would only be by-blows of Kefka's true desire--to simply be as "powerful a being" as he can in terms of intelligence, prowess, and magical power (on his more rational side) and in causing death and destruction (on his lunatic side).

An evil ruler like Gestahl kills because while he loves power he actually lives in fear of losing his power at the hands of those who oppose him. But Kefka wasn't afraid of losing his power...he killed because he could, and because he enjoyed it.

MJN SEIFER
11-27-2006, 06:44 PM
I think Kefka has always had a disipline resentment, even when he was "normal" (i.e with out the magitex stuff) and basically when he "snapped" thoes emotions took over.

I'm not sure how it was, I've always theoryised (sp) that before he was infused (is that the right phrase?) he was a lower person in the empire - as it makes sense for them to experiment on some one of low importance before they try it on the generals, And because of his new "power" he was able to "rise" in his ranks faster than he should have done. (Remember - this is a theory)

I also think that Kefka was resentful to anyone who seamed "better" than him - be they in higher authority (Geshtahl) or simply more popular (Leo) the more he got into his insanaty the less tolorant he became and less focused on what it was he wanted.

I think his insanity was linked to his anger and hate aswell and the more that happend the worst he got.

When Celes turns around and stabs him... I think he just has a fit basically and does something with out thinking. Geshtal sort of puts his foot in it by trying to stop him, so Kefka kills him.

That way Kefka get's his powers from the staues and gets rid of somone higher.

I also think that Kefka wanted these powers but of course Geshtal had decided he wanted them and Kefka had to agree with this, making him hate him even more and meaning of course that he already had anger "building" and what Celes did may have just made matters worse.

Either way he get's his powers and conciders him self as a sort of "God" and can do what he wants now.

I think Power, anger, and his already present mental state all took over him, and he end up killing random people because he could.

Again just a theory so don't blame me!

The Man
11-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Just coming out of a massive hiatus to point out that "If someone like him becomes a general, I'll go home" is a translation error. It should read "If someone like him becomes the head general here, I'll go home." (And actually, they were written as shōgun, but Woolsey wisely realised that 99% of americans wouldn't have a clue what shōgun are in the first place :monster:)

and now I probably won't post again for another six months~

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-28-2006, 05:22 AM
(And actually, they were written as shōgun, but Woolsey wisely realised that 99% of americans wouldn't have a clue what shōgun are in the first place :monster:)And since, you know, "general" and "shogun" basically mean the exact same thing.

The Man
11-28-2006, 05:43 AM
I figured that was self-evident :monster:

Wolf Kanno
11-28-2006, 08:15 AM
We should not really jump to conclusions about what Kefka was like before the experiments. We can't really assume that Kefka was already a narcissist before the experiments.

He definetly was a general, if you think about it, you fought Kefka countless times throughout the game. Sometimes they were comical but he seems to have the type of personality where he would toy with his prey.

He is a sociopath who basically views himself as "superior" to humanity. Now, it is true that Gestahl said something rather paternal concerning Kefka and Celes, so chances are we have a similiar scenario as the one in FFIV about Cecil and Kain regarding their relationship with the King of Baron. But I could be wrong and the two could have volunteered(sp?) but Celes was infused with magic as child, what about Kefka though?

I don't think Kefka hated or resented the Emperor. He never seemed discontent about Gestahl gaining the power of the Goddesses. If you remember, Kefka didn't attack and kill Gestahl until after Gestahl tried to kill Kefka for disobeying orders. Kefka felt betrayed and at the same time unlocked the power to become the god he always knew he was.;)

I do think it's interesting that Kefka is the only villian who had a rational explanation for destroying everything. X-Death was consumed by the power of the Void which is a spell that can only destroy, and Kuja wanted to end existence cause he could not bear the thought of the universe going on without him. Kefka on the other hand, after spending time as god for awhile just came to the conclusion that nothing really mattered. Life, no existence itself is meaningless. Of course he was only able to come to this conclusion cause he already felt that any life other than himself was an inferior being that doesn't deserve to live.

He just seems to be far more complex than people give him credit for...

theundeadhero
11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
It would seem the creaters had Kefka destroy most of the world after the floating continent so that it would be somewhat symbolic of what happened at the end of the War of the Magi. The world was destroyed back then so the goddesses became statues. When the goddesses come back to life the world is brought to a state of destruction once again. Also, magic is far more prevelant as a monster's attack in the WOR, saying that once again magic is a natural part of the world.

bipper
11-28-2006, 02:19 PM
He just wanted world peace(s).

feioncastor
11-28-2006, 03:10 PM
He definetly was a general, if you think about it, you fought Kefka countless times throughout the game. Sometimes they were comical but he seems to have the type of personality where he would toy with his prey.

Look at the screenshots a few posts down that clearly indicate that Kefka is not a general. He is a soldier, some type of officer, but he's not a General. He is subordinate to Leo and presumably Celes.

theundeadhero
11-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Look at The Man and Kishi's posts, because they know what they're talking about.

Avarice-ness
11-28-2006, 05:07 PM

Look at the screenshots a few posts down that clearly indicate that Kefka is not a general. He is a soldier, some type of officer, but he's not a General. He is subordinate to Leo and presumably Celes.

Look at The Man and Kishi's posts, because they know what they're talking about.

If it is a translation-error, then when they say that they didn't want Kefka to drive Leo out of their Batallion and then Kefka would be the next General, which could easily mean Kefka's just not the General to their batallion, which that makes the Translation-error make sense.

Bahamut2000X
11-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I always just assumed Kefka was a general, considering he had so much influence with Gestahl and power within the Empire. He didn't seem like he was just some ordinary solder. At the very least a ranked officer.

Although I did forget about that base scene dialouge. It's been a few years since my last playthrough on VI.

Although I could chalk some of it up to translating errors as been pointed out. Considering how little time Woolsey had for the translation of VI (1 week I think, or maybe I'm thinking of SoM.)

But yeah there isn't a whole lot about Kefka's past either way. All we really git is that tidbit on his under going the magitek knight experiments and losing his mind afterwards.

Either way though Kefka still is one of the better videogame villians I say.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Although I could chalk some of it up to translating errors as been pointed out. Considering how little time Woolsey had for the translation of VI (1 week I think, or maybe I'm thinking of SoM.)Woolsey translated Secret of Mana in five weeks. I don't know what his schedule was for FFVI, but it was evidently not ridiculous.

Bunny
11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
I always just assumed Kefka was a general, considering he had so much influence with Gestahl and power within the Empire. He didn't seem like he was just some ordinary solder. At the very least a ranked officer.

Kefka is one of the three highest ranked generals in the Empire. He is also Gestahl's most trusted subordinate and his right-hand man, explaining why Kefka has so much influence with the Emperor. I would also say that he acted as a confidant on more than one occasion, but that is just an assumption.

Avarice-ness
11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
I say Kefka was a General/Amassador to the Empire. He seems to do all the dirty work that Ghestahl wouldn't do himself. He was most likely sent to the Military base to watch what was going on for Ghestahl since Ghestahl obviously wasn't there. When Kefka went to find Terra at Figaro Castle, Edgar kind of put the castle down when he asked what he was doing there, which would imply him being higher, which is why I keep thinking more Amassador than like... a tactics general.

So I'm going with A general that works as Ambassador to the Empire.

Ender
11-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Edgar kind of put the castle down when he asked what he was doing there, which would imply him being higher, which is why I keep thinking more Amassador than like... a tactics general.

So I'm going with A general that works as Ambassador to the Empire.

Kinda like the Secretary of Defense in the US gov? I'd buy that.

The Man
11-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Although I could chalk some of it up to translating errors as been pointed out. Considering how little time Woolsey had for the translation of VI (1 week I think, or maybe I'm thinking of SoM.)Woolsey translated Secret of Mana in five weeks. I don't know what his schedule was for FFVI, but it was evidently not ridiculous.I think he had three weeks for Secret of Mana, actually, unless the figures I've read were just wrong.

Bahamut2000X
11-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Dangit, then what was done in 1 week? I know I read somewhere on these forums a few years back he did an entire translation in a week.

Either that or I'm just finally losing my mind. <.<