PDA

View Full Version : What mistranslations do you know of in the game?

Peter_20
11-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Let's try and find some cool mistranslations! :D

BARRET:
"If you push the directional button while holding the Cancel button to run." - ...then what'll happen? :eek:

CLOUD:
"Barret, be careful! Attack while it's tail's up!
It's gonna counter-attack with its laser!" - Yeah, attack so that you get hurt! :thumb:

AERIS:
"This guy are sick." - He are sick, I is scared. :rolleyes2

:D

Twilight Edge
11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Tifa:
"Aww, you want some Samolen Greens?" - It was supoosed to mean "Mimett Greens", right?

Battle Arena:
"Do you want to continue?"

Off course! No, way! - What is off course? No, which way then?

Mirage
11-27-2006, 06:12 PM
What's wrong with "Do you want to continue?"?

Peter_20
11-27-2006, 06:36 PM
What's wrong with "Do you want to continue?"?Nothing, it was a part of the "off course/no, way!" line. :)

MJN SEIFER
11-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Recieved "Last Elixier" - What do you mean? The last Elixier in the game?! No wait I can still get some... Hmmm.... (Replays that part and checks menu) Oh! It's only a MEGALIXER!

Peter_20
11-27-2006, 07:24 PM
"Mmmmmm, that's how you'll fool them."
"Hmmmmmmmm, so that's how you fooled them." - LOL, I'm speechless. XD

Ryushikaze
11-27-2006, 07:35 PM
The end sequence, with "Meet her." Not exactly a mistranslation, more of an interpolation, since there was no defined object of meeting in the original Japanese.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-27-2006, 09:34 PM
KNOWLESPOLE

Mirage
11-27-2006, 11:38 PM
I still don't know what that word was supposed to mean.

Ryushikaze
11-27-2006, 11:42 PM
I still don't know what that word was supposed to mean.

North Pole.

Goldenboko
11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Off, course I know them all!

Meat Puppet
11-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Unfortunately I own the PC version, so I have to miss out on much of these translations. And I doubt I know of any mistranslations that nobody else knows about.

I had originally found that off course one pretty quirky, though.

MJN SEIFER
12-01-2006, 07:33 PM
You guys think Knowlespole is North Pole? Oh brother!

Ryushikaze
12-01-2006, 08:41 PM
You guys think Knowlespole is North Pole? Oh brother!

And what, pray tell, do you think it is?

MJN SEIFER
12-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Knowlespole.

Was Gaia a misstranslation of Earth?

Whas Wutai a misstranslation of China or Japan?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
No and no. You'll notice that Gaia and Wutai are phonetically irreconciable with "Earth" and "Japan." But when transliterating Japanese kana, it's very possible--albeit extremely bone-headed--to misconstrue North as "Knowles."

MJN SEIFER
12-01-2006, 10:44 PM
But when transliterating Japanese kana, it's very possible--albeit extremely bone-headed--to misconstrue North as "Knowles."

Seeing as my abillity to speak the Japanese language is next to nothing, I'll have to take you're word for it.

Also, don't misunderstand, That Earth Japan noncense was just a bit of dry humor. (Which seams to have back fired on me).

I have a guide book which states that "North Pole" is a place in the game - and for years I wrote that off as an error.

I honestly thought that "Knowlespole" was a fictional place, simply because Final Fantasy is set (get this!) in a fictional planet!

Hence why I stated (jokingly) that the FF planet was really meant to be called "Earth" and that all the towns are misstrasnlations of real places (Wutai was the easiest) because as you know North Pole is a real life place.

But I will admit to being wrong if this is the case.

And for thoes of you who bothed to read this to the bottom, I have a question:

Mmmmmm, that's how you'll fool them."
"Hmmmmmmmm, so that's how you fooled them

I've always thought that was a misstranslation aswell, but what is it a misstranslation of?

Ryushikaze
12-01-2006, 10:57 PM
-snip all this-
I honestly thought that "Knowlespole" was a fictional place, simply because Final Fantasy is set (get this!) in a fictional planet!

Hence why I stated (jokingly) that the FF planet was really meant to be called "Earth" and that all the towns are misstrasnlations of real places (Wutai was the easiest) because as you know North Pole is a real life place.

But I will admit to being wrong if this is the case.

All planets, fictional or not, will have north and south poles if they have magnetic fields.

Levian
12-02-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm currently replaying FFVII and there's some stuff here and there, not outright errors, but weird phrasing of sentences. Attack while it's tail is up is definitely of the worst, though. :p Not that I understood English when I first played it anyway. I always just attacked it.

This one ain't a mistranslation, but I found it funny anyway:

Cloud and the gang is up in the vent over the shinra meeting in Shinra HQ.

Scarlet: "Something is stinking"
Cloud: "They're talking about Aeris, aren't they?"

I found it funny how he said that right after she said that :D They were talking about Aeris earlier.

Anyway, I'll remember this thread when I continue playing FFVII the next days.

BG-57
12-02-2006, 03:51 AM
If memory serves, there's a creature called a Bagrisk (which has a petrify attack) that at low levels drops Vagrisk Claws (items that can petrify). It was supposed to be Basilisk, which is a legendary creature with a petrifying gaze. I can understand the B <-> V, and R <-> L substitutions, but it's amusing that the translations of the monster and item don't even agree. :)

MJN SEIFER
12-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I acept defeat.

Please tell me what this was suposed to say.

Mmmmmm, that's how you'll fool them."
"Hmmmmmmmm, so that's how you fooled them

CStrife
12-02-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm currently replaying FFVII and there's some stuff here and there, not outright errors, but weird phrasing of sentences. Attack while it's tail is up is definitely of the worst, though. :p Not that I understood English when I first played it anyway. I always just attacked it.

It happened the same to me!:)

Peter_20
12-02-2006, 05:35 PM
This one always buggered my mind:

CLOUD:
"I lived in this house until I was 16... no, but this village was burned down." - What the hell was that? :confused:

BARRET:
"We was close ever since we was kids" - Yes, I know you Americans tend to say "you is", "it don't" etc, but "we was" is still grammatically wrong; not to mention Barret's vocabulary in general :rolleyes2

This one's weird as well:

AERIS:
"He's mumbling slowly; that must means he's hiding something." - I've spell-checked this quotation for hours now (well, not really :D), and I deliberately wrote "means"; you don't say "that must means"; you just don't

Attack while it's tail is up is definitely of the worstAttack while IT IS TAIL IS up! :D

MJN SEIFER
12-02-2006, 08:17 PM

CLOUD:
"I lived in this house until I was 16... no, but this village was burned down." - What the hell was that? :confused:

No offense Peter but that is nowhere near an error, It makes perfect sense.

He says he lived in this house, then he thinks... And then remembers the house being burned down.

Zeromus_X
12-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Recieved "Last Elixier" - What do you mean? The last Elixier in the game?! No wait I can still get some... Hmmm.... (Replays that part and checks menu) Oh! It's only a MEGALIXER!

Just to answer your question, Last Elixir is what Megalixir is called in the Japanese versions of the Final Fantasy games. So, a correct translation just turns out to be inconsistent with the name they wanted to use all this time. :p

Peter_20
12-02-2006, 08:21 PM

CLOUD:

He says he lived in this house, then he thinks... And then remembers the house being burned down.Well, I always interpreted it like this:

Fantastic improvisation by Peter_20:
"I lived in this house until I was sixteen, but that's not true, and, well, this village was kinda burned down, you know; so I, uh, I lived in this house, but that's not true, because I answered "no" to it myself.

Ryushikaze
12-02-2006, 09:24 PM

CLOUD:

He says he lived in this house, then he thinks... And then remembers the house being burned down.Well, I always interpreted it like this:

"I lived in this house until I was sixteen, but that's not true, and, well, this village was kinda burned down, you know; so I, uh, I lived in this house, but that's not true, because I answered "no" to it myself.

More like "I lived in this house... No, this isn't that house. It's a fake"

Peter_20
12-02-2006, 09:33 PM

CLOUD:

More like "I lived in this house... No, this isn't that house. It's a fake"Alright, I understand it now. :p

He corrected himself on the "this house" part, because that house was burned down.

Dragon Mage
12-04-2006, 01:43 AM
Here's one I noticed recently. It's just before you go into the Cave of the Gi. (I've probably misspelled the name.)

Bughagen:You want an old man like me should go first!

In this sentece they got their choices of how it would go mixed up. It could either be 'You want an old man like me to go first!' or 'You think an old man like me should go first!'

And when you're trying to get the wig:
"No, I'll explain the rules"

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-04-2006, 02:00 AM
"You want an old man like me should go first" can't be counted as a mistranslation, really. It's just written in a particular colloquial form of grammar. You've never heard someone say, "You want I should [etc.]"?

LunarWeaver
12-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Er, wait. I just ran into this one by talking to Cait Sith on the airship. He said "I told Elmyra about Aerith. She was cried her eyes out." Or something of that effect :p My memory is you know..Not good.

Dragon Mage
12-04-2006, 02:17 AM
"You want an old man like me should go first" can't be counted as a mistranslation, really. It's just written in a particular colloquial form of grammar. You've never heard someone say, "You want I should [etc.]"?
Well, it was a grammatical error yes, but that could count as a mistranslation since words meaning 'you', 'me', 'them', are similar but are different by different suffix/prefix or something as such. It's like this in nearly all languages except english. For example if one wanted to say 'that is my sword' it would be said vethi (denoting 'me') caex (sword). Thus one would say 'vethicaex'. Vethi claims the item as the possession of the speaker.
If they got these small things wrong, or even missed them, while translating, it could be considered a mistranslation. But, I'm not any linguist so I could very well be wrong. But it sound like a mistranslation to me.

Ryushikaze
12-04-2006, 03:58 AM
Well, it was a grammatical error yes, but that could count as a mistranslation since words meaning 'you', 'me', 'them', are similar but are different by different suffix/prefix or something as such. It's like this in nearly all languages except english. For example if one wanted to say 'that is my sword' it would be said vethi (denoting 'me') caex (sword). Thus one would say 'vethicaex'. Vethi claims the item as the possession of the speaker.
If they got these small things wrong, or even missed them, while translating, it could be considered a mistranslation. But, I'm not any linguist so I could very well be wrong. But it sound like a mistranslation to me.

I'm with Ryukishi. It's a typo, not mistranslation. It would have made perfect sense with an added question mark.
For example, let's say I'm writing a japanese phrase on my computer, but instead of "no", I type in "mo" without noticing. While the sentence I just typed is incorrect, it was a slip of the key, a typographical error, and not an error in the translation process.

opiumcloud
12-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Stereotypical Jewish ladies, particularly those who immigrated to America during their lifetimes from Eastern Europe, will frequently say "you want I should..."

Here's a mistranslation. Midgardsormr or Midgarsormr, depending on whether the name of the creature was intended to reference the FF town or Norse term, was translated as... Midgar Zolem ?

Deathchant
12-04-2006, 10:26 AM
there is one big grammatical fault. It is after the scene when Aeris dies.
Before the fight with JENOVA, Sephiroth casts Jenova, while doing so, he says to cloud:

BECAUSE CLOUD....
YOU ARE....

After you defeated JENOVA, you see JENOVA saying:

BEACAUSE CLOUD, YOU ARE A PUPPET.

BEACAUSE....sheesh...what a mistake, and I am Dutch and not English...

Peter_20
12-04-2006, 10:36 AM
"All those things you didn't know that you should, and all the things you shouldn't know that you did."
- I dunno about you English guys, but this sentence sounds really strange to me.

I like this one better:

"All those things you should know, but didn't, and all the things you shouldn't know, but still did.'"
- It makes more sense to me. :cool:

Dr. Acula
12-06-2006, 04:13 AM
"Mmmmmm, that's how you'll fool them."
"Hmmmmmmmm, so that's how you fooled them." - LOL, I'm speechless. XD

I don't even know why they said that lol! I thought those lines were unecessary.
I found something that Barret said on the first disc and I'm not exactly sure whether it's a translation mistake or just Barret's way of talking. I'll see if I can find it.

Dragon Mage
12-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm with Ryukishi. It's a typo, not mistranslation. It would have made perfect sense with an added question mark.
For example, let's say I'm writing a japanese phrase on my computer, but instead of "no", I type in "mo" without noticing. While the sentence I just typed is incorrect, it was a slip of the key, a typographical error, and not an error in the translation process.

OK, I see what you mean. But that would mean that 'Off coarse' is a typo as well as a few others. So, technically, most of the 'mistranslations' are just typos. But I'd like to not analyze each slip in the text to deterimine if it's a typo or mistranslation.

aquatius
12-10-2006, 06:58 PM
In battle: Vincent was cought by suprise. Accesory: Touph ring.