PDA

View Full Version : How long do you play until you're satisfied?

SoupForInsanity
11-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Just out of curiousity, how long do you all play a game until you're satisfied that it's "finished"? I guess this post pertains mostly to RPGs, but it can be for any other game as well.
As for me, if it's an RPG- I have to have absolutely ALL sidequests completed and secrets exposed. I try to get everything out of it that the game has to offer, maybe because I feel like I get more of the story that way or something. It doesn't matter to me how high-leveled my characters are, but if it means beating that ultimate boss, I'm willing to level until I can beat it.
I try to also uncover any and all abilities a character has- but only if it's one that is special to them... if an ability can be learned by everyone, I don't normally pay too much attention to it. I also go for ultimate weapons if there are any in the game, and play any mini-games available (and win all the prizes for them, if they are available) or collect all the cards to a card game, etc.
I guess that's about it. If it's any other type of game, I pretty much do the same- all secrets exposed, but I don't have to be uber if it's not necessary.

How about you guys?

RiseToFall
11-27-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty happy when I see the credits.:) Though often times I do go back a second play through to get the bonus stuff.

Madame Adequate
11-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Depends on the game. FFX? I'm satisfied when I've finished everything. Blood Money? When I have Silent Assassin on all levels. FFIX? When I see the end credits. Deus Ex? When I have it memorized so entirely that I am literally a walking encyclopedia of the game.

Dreddz
11-27-2006, 07:45 PM
When the credits role.

LunarWeaver
11-27-2006, 07:56 PM
It sort of depends. I usually try and do all the sidequests, but if it comes to a point that I'm not having any fun at all and crosses into being a chore I usually just say fuck it.

Devourment
11-28-2006, 02:44 PM
When playing a new game for the first time, I'll just play it through to the end casually. But the second time round is when I want to get everything in the game & make sure I do aswell.

In FF9 I made all the calculations for how many of each item I needed & for the synthesized items aswell. So that every character had 1 of each weapon [clothing / armour & so on] that was available to them. I'm O-C like that. :greenie:

Nominus Experse
11-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Although I complete all the side quests and the like in one play-through, most commonly, I do not feel completely satisfied until I have played through it at aleast one more.

There is something greater about knowing, much like an encyclopedia of sorts, every minute detail and twist in the game and its story and characters.

To have that comprehension makes the experience complete.

Vermachtnis
11-28-2006, 03:42 PM
I like to have everything unlocked. I'm playing Megaman X Command Mission right now and that means filling up the Sky Room. For games like Final Fantasy it when I beat the Omega Weapon of the game, no matter what game when I beat the strongest optinal boss I fell great. I also have to get my favorite team to Max Level (30, 50, 99, 255) with all there techs or what have you. Don't really care about max stats, just getting to the Max Level is sometimes a chore in itself. Also if I don't use them I don't really bother leveling them up either.

Agent Proto
11-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Once I finish a game, I'm usually done with it. Unless I really like the game, I may try to attempt to collect everything when I play the second time through. :D

Riana
11-28-2006, 04:17 PM
When it's a platformer I like to play it through to the end. When it says 'The End'.

RPGs are more complex. I like to play through that in a reasonable time. Some side quests (if any) I won't bother about, unless it's essential to the progression of the game. But I'm a bit silly when it comes to a new rpg. When your party walks around to the next town, I like to spend time leveling up like...really level up. Sometimes 7-10 levels up! Time consuming I know, but it's good for when you get to a boss.
If the RPG is worth playing through again, then I bother with every single thing to do.

Other types of games like Dynasty Warriors for example, I don't rest 'til I get every item! :mad2:

Ashi
11-28-2006, 07:19 PM
It depends on the game. Xenosaga 2 had way too many side missions and at some point, I couldn't even remember which ones I had open. So that felt pointless. However, with Kingdom Hearts 2 I couldn't rest till I've unlocked all the little things. Well, except for gummi ship stuff cause I didn't really get them. :confused:

Like the previous poster said, depending on the battle system I'd probably spend more time levelling than anything.

oddler
11-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Once I finish a game, I'm usually done with it. Unless I really like the game, I may try to attempt to collect everything when I play the second time through. :D

Bunny
11-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Depends on the game. Although general I am happy once I finish off the end boss.

Very few games will grab my attention so much that I wish to make a perfect file.

Khaotic
11-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I personally think it "kills" the game if you do everything the first playthrough. I usually play the game first, beat it, and in a few months i'll enjoy the nice replay value with some new things added(the optional stuff, mastering things, ultimate weapons, blah blah).

Shoeberto
11-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Credit roll, unless I really, really liked the game. I'm not much of a side-quest person, though, at least not if it's just not all that interesting.

Venom
11-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Normally when I lose or something, but when it comes to Spyro its until it becomes so easy that I have to shut the thing off.

Ryth
11-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Until I get stuck and decide to play later. So how many hours I spend playing varies. Sometimes the game will never end, sometimes it ends just when I see the credits roll.

Jessweeee♪
11-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Never! If you've played Threads of Fate, you know how little it has to offer, but I'm still playing it.
Don't even get me started on FFX.