PDA

View Full Version : Asian Cinema

Riana
11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Any fans of Asian cinema here?

When I say asian cinema I guess I mean far eastern. Like for example the Hong Kong film industry is pretty huge.

I have watched many films from Jackie Chan, most of his earlier films. I thought 'Double Dragon' was really good.
'2000 A.D' is amazing for it's special effects, and it mentioned some guy completing FFVIII in 7 hours which was insane!
I love my Chinese films, like 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', 'House of Flying Daggers' and 'Hero'.
Not forgetting our Japanese favourites 'Ringu' and 'Jun-on' series. :D

I had recently watched a film called 'Bad Guy' which was from Korea. I found this was a really good film. It portrayed prositution and how girls are tricked into it. Just scary that things still happen like that. The story is lovely though, really makes you cry and think..."Aaaah".

DK
11-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Hong Kong cinema is pretty much my favourite cinema, I guess. Infernal Affairs is one of my top three films of all time.

I love martial arts films, too. Jackie Chan and all the rest. Police Story is the best action film of all time, bar none, Project A, Snake in Eagles Shadow, Drunken Master, etc. All class films. Dragons forever, too. You can't really go wrong with Jackie Chan.

Tony Jaa is currently my favourite martial artist, Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong have the best fighting scenes i've ever seen. The chase scene in Ong Bak is brilliant. (the one on foot.)

Also yeah, the period dramas, Hero, House of Flying Dagger, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and all that are qualitey too.

Battle Royale is my favourite film of all, I love BRII as well, as far as japanese films go.

Oldboy is another good one.

Croyles
11-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah Tony Jaa is amazing, and I think I must have seen all the Jackie Chan movies!
I didnt like House Of Flying Daggers much, but I really liked Hero.

Resha
11-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Yep. :D I've watched a lot of Indian (I wonder why ._.) and KOREAN movies. Some Korean ones are awesome; "My Sassy Girl", "She's On Duty", "Please Teach Me English"...yep. And I have Battle Royale just waiting to be watched but I am scared coz it looks so BLOODY :|

I love Jackie Chan, good stuff. But I really don't like Zhang Ziyi erugh. There was this brilliant Chinese movie I watched a while ago -- called "Perhaps Love". It was just a brilliant bit of cinema. Everyone should watch this movie. THEATRICAL BRILLIANCE.

Shaun
11-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey Riana, I love all the Ju-on films! Great stuff. The Ring, Dark Water, The Grudge, etc.

Have you seen Audition? I loved that film. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, I liked a lot of Jet Li movies.

Ender
11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is one of my all-time favorites, and one of my most-watched movies.

I like Hero less so...way too much "One China" under "Our Wise Ruler(s)" propaganda for me, though the concept was still really fun. House of Flying Daggers had some cool moments, but otherwise was boring and predictable IMO.

As for other genres,

the Japanese Shall We Dance, that came out way before the joke that was J-Lo's one is one of my favorites.

Eat Drink, Man Woman was enjoyable.

And of course Kurosawa's Seven Samurai is a masterpiece (unfortunately haven't seen any of his other stuff).

Burtsplurt
11-28-2006, 06:07 PM
But I really don't like Zhang Ziyi erugh.

Heh, I'm kind of a Ziyi fan. I generally think that she's the best thing in any film she's in, even the bad ones (Memoirs of a Geisha!). She's awesome in 2046 and Crouching Tiger.

Ender: I agree with you about Hero. I thought it was a bit dull. HoFD is pretty much eye candy, but I don't mind since it looks so good. And Ziyi looks particularly hot.

I really like quite a few recent Korean films. Try out Save The Green Planet - it's utterly bizarre. Japanese films like Battle Royale and Hana-Bi as well.

charliepanayi
11-28-2006, 06:39 PM
I will make my usual recommendations here and mention Chungking Express and After Life (the former is set in Hong Kong, the latter is a Japanese film) - both are wonderful and the first is the source of my signature quote.

GooeyToast
11-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Oldboy
Last Life In The Universe
Crouching Tiger
Anything Kurosawa
Battle Royale

Asian cinema is fantastic.

Riana
11-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Have you seen Audition? I loved that film. :)

No I haven't yet, my friend told me that was good. That's on my rental waiting list, I have an account with this website, it's fantastic! But the waiting kinda sucks. Only you can make your money's worth.

http://www.lovefilm.com/visitor/home.html

Yep. :D I've watched a lot of Indian (I wonder why ._.) and KOREAN movies.

Nothing wrong with Indian films...I like them! :love:

(thanks for correcting me about John Abraham I wasn't too sure)

Shiny
11-29-2006, 01:37 AM
I'm a fan of Takashi Miike's movies, but I also like Battle Royale. That was fantastic.

41-Inches-Wide
11-29-2006, 01:42 AM
I must say I am a sucker for Korean love stories.

Mythra
11-29-2006, 03:23 AM
My favorites would have to be:
House Of Flying Daggers
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hero
Kung Fu Hustle (not reallly sure if that one fits the bill, but I really like it none the less)

Paro
11-29-2006, 04:01 AM
I love asian cinema

http://www.toei-video.co.jp/data/kyoki/ (http://www.toei-video.co.jp/data/kyoki/)

This flick has K1 fighter, Sudo Genki as some guys sidekick It's also got that weird hip hop soundtrack.

The Unknown Guru
11-29-2006, 04:09 AM
I love martial arts films as well, but for me, you can't top samurai movies. Kurosawa is one of my favorite directors out of any genre.

Resha
11-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Yep. :D I've watched a lot of Indian (I wonder why ._.) and KOREAN movies.

Nothing wrong with Indian films...I like them! :love:

(thanks for correcting me about John Abraham I wasn't too sure)

Oh, noes, I didn't mean they were bad or anything! :D I'm Indian, so yeah, that's why. Sorry ambiguity xD

Also...I LOVE Kung Fu Hustle. It's HILARIOUS!

Riana
11-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Kung Fu Hustle (not reallly sure if that one fits the bill, but I really like it none the less)

*gasps*

I have that somewhere, but haven't watched it yet! Thanks for reminding me!

Oh, noes, I didn't mean they were bad or anything! :D I'm Indian, so yeah, that's why. Sorry ambiguity xD

No no I can see where you're coming from! All that cheesy dancing is it? XD

That is so awesome! I'm part Indian! :love:

Peegee
11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I don't obsess over it. Remember their industry is open to flaws like Hollywood movies are (just that Hollywood produces a lot more crap).

I like foreign films in general. Being Cantonese-Chinese I understand a lot of the movies. Subtitled Mandarin films are also good. I also watch Japanese movies if I read enough good reviews about it.

Twilight Edge
11-29-2006, 01:45 PM
I love Stephen Chow movies. The likes as

-Shaolin Soccer
-Kung Fu Hustle
-(insert some movies that age up to twenty years old)

really kicks my laughing nerve. There wasn't a movie starring him that I never laughed my ass off. I'm currently waiting for Kung Fu Hustle 2.

Jackie Chan movies are off the awesome. The way his movies can be action packed and at the same time include loads of humor tickles my funny gut.

Hero wasn't my favourite. It was about loads of past story-telling so it's quite dull. Even the story itself was dull enough. The action scenes were meh.

House of Flying Daggers, gotta love that one. Ziyi isn't my favourite female star, but all the actors just make the movie sound so perfect.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Silver Hawk. Seriously, if I don't watch movies starring my aunt(Michelle Yeoh), I'll be damned. I didn't quite like Silver Hawk(it was a bit dull, superhero woman, duh), but Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon rocks all.

I wanted to watch 2046, but the movie wasn't shown in my country.

I don't quite watch Japanese movies, but I'm going to watch Death Note. One thing though, I'm afraid of horror movies.

DK
11-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Gotta love that Bollywood stuff. *bhangras*

Craig
11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Battle Royale and Audition are the only movies I can remember seeing. But they both rock.

Pike
11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
I've watched more Japanese films than I can keep track of... that's what happens when you major in Japanese lit =P Pretty good stuff. I'd have to say that Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ugetsu, Sansho the Bailiff, Tampopo, and After Life are probably my favorites.