PDA

View Full Version : Contemplation.

Jowy
11-28-2006, 05:56 PM
So I'm going home from work today and plan on acquiring Star Ocean for Super Famicom through illegal and unmentionable ways. I just wanted to know a few things beforehand:

- I tried to play it a year or so ago and it wouldn't load past the character name selection. I was running the newest version of Zsnes. Is this only compatible with SNES 9X, or do I need a specific patch?

- Reine mentioned the rom crashing at a certain point and I was curious if I should keep my eyes peeled for a specific version.

- Lastly, how does it compare to Star Ocean 2 and 3?

Zeromus_X
11-29-2006, 12:48 AM
I believe awhile ago some patches were necessary, but if you have the latest version of Snes9x, it should work fine.

The game will crash if you do one of the following things often:

1.) Play with ZSnes

2.) Use the speedup button too often

3.) Use Save States too often.

4.) Remember that 2 and 3 only apply if you do 1.

If you play with Snes9x, it should work fine.

Now, as for how it compares, I haven't completed it. I think I like it a bit better than SO2, but not as much as SO3.

Things to know:

- You cannot move freely around like the later games. You have to press the X button, move a cursor to the place you want to move, and then confirm, to automatically run to that spot. Therefore, you'll spend most of the game just attacking.

- Once you have enough characters, you can actually switch them out in battle! Unfortunately, this isn't in the later games...:/

- Rati doesn't have AI. So, you'll probably control him for most of the game.

- This game, like the other Star Oceans, has optional characters. You'll want to use a guide regarding this if you actually feel like playing the game more than once. :p It has more selections than SO3, but probably not as many as 2. Or maybe the same as 2.

- There's voice acting! It's much more pleasant to the ear than hearing Arche scream METEOR SWAAAARM in ToP. But it can still get repetitive.

- The collection in this game is the sound test/SFX mode, which you can collect all the sound clips and BGMs in the game in.

Hm, that's about it for now.

I want to play it again, but to be honest, I found it got boring at times. I'm sure I'll complete it someday.

I hope I helped! :cat:

Jowy
11-29-2006, 04:34 AM
Yeah, it locked up because I abused the ~ button of fast forward goodness. I'll swap emulators though. Good to know that I can hit "X" to move as opposed to just mashing the attack button until everything goes crashbangdead. <3

XxSephirothxX
11-29-2006, 05:16 AM
I thought Star Ocean was the best game in the series. I played it on SNES9X and didn't have any trouble, until I got myself into a really tough dungeon towards the end of the game and ran out of items and didn't have any save states to go back to. There are some tough enemies, just like in the sequels. Fun game, though, and beautiful for the SNES.