PDA

View Full Version : Useless but interesting facts

Diango12
11-29-2006, 06:17 AM
We need a data bank on useless facts lets begin then.

You blink over 10,000,000 times a year

Shlup
11-29-2006, 06:19 AM
Dammit, I knew I should've kept my Snapple caps...

blackmage_nuke
11-29-2006, 06:24 AM
90% of all facts are made up

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-29-2006, 06:25 AM
In a year's time, the average person will swallow eight billion spiders in her sleep.

Yamaneko
11-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Those "useless" facts are being put to use in this thread, albeit it not for their intended purpose.

Miriel
11-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Tomatoes are not meant to be kept in refrigerator (until after you've cut them) as the cold temperature destroys the flavor and texture of tomatoes.

Rubbing salt on your hands and then rinsing them with water gets rid of bad smells that got on your hands in the process of cooking (garlic, onions, etc).

Fajitas first originated out of Texas as part of the Tex-Mex cuisine boom.

Oreos are Americas #1 cookies.

The top two items of food that are most often burned while cooking are bacon and nuts.

The Land O'Lakes butter company was the first to offer butter in stick form. Previously, all butter was sold in tubs.

These are all tidbits off the top of my head. I watch a lot of FoodNetwork. A LOT.

But none of these facts are useless, it's very useful to know these things!

Jigsaw
11-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Amongst the black hair on my arms is a patch of blonde hair.

Today I ran over an apple on the ground and fell off my bicycle.

Diango12
11-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Every human has a blind spot in each of their eyes. Position your face between the X and the I below focusing on the dot between them. Close your right eye and look across your face at the letter I with your left eye. Now move your face back and forth at the screen, at a certain distance the X should vanish somewhere between 30cm away.

_______________X_________________.______ ____________I

This happens to all animals except squid, so if it doesn't work for you then the only logical conclusion is that you are a squid.

fire_of_avalon
11-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Every human has a blind spot in each of their eyes. Position your face between the X and the I below focusing on the dot between them. Close your right eye and look across your face at the letter I with your left eye. Now move your face back and forth at the screen, at a certain distance the X should vanish somewhere between 30cm away.

This happens to all animals except squid, so if it doesn't work for you then the only logical conclusion is that you are a squid.

I am a squid.

Clouded Sky
11-29-2006, 06:53 AM
The largest fast food chain in China is KFC.

Khaotic
11-29-2006, 07:11 AM

I am a squid.

Apparently I am as well.

Rase
11-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Time to pull out the ol' Bathroom Reader...

An eagle's bones weigh half as much as it's feathers.

British government toilet paper used to read, "Govt. Property, Now Wash Your Hands."

The average person will suffer 200 colds in their lifetime.

Sitka, Alaska was once the capital of a Russian territory.

Sharks can't swim backwards.

The crew of the Enterprise under Captain Kirk's command: 430. Under Picard: 1,012.

A newborn baby's heart has the same number of cells as an adult's.

Popular items at McDonald's in India: Maharaja Mac and the NcAloo Tikki.

The Old Testament mentions almonds 73 times.

North America has about 700 species of butterfly and 8,000 species of moths.In 1014 A.D., Viking ships pulled down the London Bridge, apparently on a whim.

A whistle sounds louder just before it rains.

In 1999, a survey concluded that of 25,500 standard English words, 93% had been registered as dot-coms.

The world's smallest tree s the dwarf willow f Greenland, which grows to about two inches in height.

When having a conversation, women make eye contact 15% more frequently than men.

The average traffic light is green 22% of the time, yellow 12%, and red 66% of the time.

Alexander the Great enjoyed leading parades dressed as the goddess Artemis.
Corduroy literally means "the cord of kings".

More of your brain is used to control your thumb than your stomach.
Americans consume 450 hot dogs every second.

In Jack the Ripper's day, many blamed the growing crime rate on violence in the theater.

Okay, I'm tired now. Just imagine 500 more facts like that.

Bunny
11-29-2006, 12:30 PM

I am a squid.

Apparently I am as well.

I am also a squid. This calls for a squid party.

KentaRawr!
11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
I would be a squid if it weren't for my nose.

Also, the word "nerd" was first used in the Dr. Seus book, "If I ran a zoo".

Bunny
11-29-2006, 12:53 PM
It costs more to buy a new car today in the United States than it cost Christopher Columbus to equip and undertake three voyages to and from the New World.

TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

The continents names all end with the same letter with which they start.

The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

Only humans and horses have hymens.

The validity of all of these is debateable.

Evol
11-29-2006, 12:59 PM
The most sentence you ever said in your life is I dont know.

Paro
11-29-2006, 01:02 PM
i can drink 4 cups of water. then drink 3 more. crazy eh?

Twilight Edge
11-29-2006, 01:22 PM

I am a squid.

Apparently I am as well.

May I join?

Rase
11-29-2006, 02:44 PM
The continents names all end with the same letter with which they start.
If not for North America and South America, that would work. Unless if you're one of the folks who counts both of them as just one continent, America, in which case it would also work.

The sentence "the a quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.
Fixed.

Breine
11-29-2006, 03:25 PM
- A cat has a 32 muscles in each of its ears.

... that was the only one I could think of :eep:

Emerald Aeris
11-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Wombats have backwards pouches so dirt won't get into it when they burrow.

Rocket Edge
11-29-2006, 03:32 PM
More people die every year from donkey related incident's than plane crashes.

Jess
11-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Oh! Here's one that was in the pub quiz that I participated in on Sunday evening:

Of all 50 American states there is only one that has one syllable: Maine. :jess:

Shaun
11-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Some people, like me, blink less than others, so the first fact isn't necessarily true for all.

"Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second."

Quindiana Jones
11-29-2006, 04:45 PM
I own the Ultimate Book of Useless information so I literally have a bookload of these.

Ethanol Dreams
11-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Every year, 4 people in the UK die putting on their trousers.

72% of Americans sign their pets names on greetings cards.

Britney Spears used Hypnotism to help her stop biting her nails.

Jennifer Aniston used Hypnotism to help her stop smoking.

Avril Lavigne has a computer virus named after her.

The word "and" appears in the Bible 46,277 times.

I'll put in some more as I read them in "This Book", "That Book" and "The Other Book." :D

themagicroundabout
11-29-2006, 05:56 PM
The tin opener was invented 75 years before the tin.

Captain Maxx Power
11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
We need a data bank on useless facts lets begin then.

We already do, it's called Wikipedia.

BarelySeeAtAll
11-29-2006, 07:28 PM

I am a squid.

Apparently I am as well.

May I join?

it works woth me in my science lesson, but can i be part of the squid gang anyway?

oddler
11-29-2006, 09:28 PM

Araciel
11-29-2006, 09:40 PM
my cat's breath smells like cat food

seriously...i have enough useless crap rolling around betwixt my ears...no more needed heheh

Griff
11-29-2006, 10:27 PM
A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes

beat that

Shlup
11-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Some people, like me, blink less than others, so the first fact isn't necessarily true for all.

Very few things are always true.

Freya
11-29-2006, 11:58 PM

I am a squid.

Apparently I am as well.

May I join?

it works woth me in my science lesson, but can i be part of the squid gang anyway?

RALALARRALL that's what we moon squids sound like.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-30-2006, 12:08 AM
The song most sung is "Happy Birthday"

fire_of_avalon
11-30-2006, 12:17 AM
The sentence "the a quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.
Fixed.

It works both ways!

My, there are a lot of us Squids.

Rase
11-30-2006, 01:10 AM
It works both ways!

Crap.

Savern Volaco
11-30-2006, 01:14 AM
Weird people are way good at fighting phycologicly I know this is true.

nik0tine
11-30-2006, 02:17 AM
98% of the teenage population has tried pot. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't copy and paste this into your signature.

Cruise Control
11-30-2006, 02:19 AM
97.4% of statistics are made up on the spot.

nik0tine
11-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Cruise Control has been final warned.

Cruise Control
11-30-2006, 02:22 AM
Genji has had 7 accounts.

Roto13
11-30-2006, 02:23 AM
at least 5 of them account for 5 of my referrals.

Xaven
11-30-2006, 07:09 AM
The tin opener was invented 75 years before the tin.
I believe you've got it backwards. :D

Denmark
11-30-2006, 07:39 AM
e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0

wherein e is the base of the natural logarithm, pi is the circumference of a circle divided by its diameter, i is the square root of -1, 1 is the multiplicative identity, 0 is the additive identity, + is the symbol for combination of two quantities (addition), and = is the symbol indicating the equality of two quantities.

blackmage_nuke
11-30-2006, 07:49 AM
There are seven words in this post

NeoCracker
11-30-2006, 08:17 AM
This song is just Six words long.

Mittopotahis
11-30-2006, 10:59 AM
98% of the teenage population has tried pot. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't copy and paste this into your signature.

75% of EoFF don't know what nik is referring to.

Quindiana Jones
11-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Cat's urine glows in black light.

Also, to all you "squids", I'm betting that you looked in and out too fast. When you get too close to it you can see the X, too far away and you can see the X. You need to be a specific distance away. Move your head back and forth slowly and you'll probably realise.

Jessweeee♪
11-30-2006, 11:14 PM

I am a squid.

Apparently I am as well.

Can I come :D

Captain Maxx Power
11-30-2006, 11:23 PM
The most common name on the planet is Wong.

Yamaneko
11-30-2006, 11:24 PM
I thought it was Muhammad.

NorthernChaosGod
12-01-2006, 01:39 AM

I am a squid.

Apparently I am as well.

May I join?

RALALARRALL that's what we moon squids sound like.

I am squid Supreme Commander.