PDA

View Full Version : Philosophical Thinking

Shaun
11-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Am I the only one who thinks differently about life? Whenever I talk about this, people either think I am just plain weird or criticise me for it. I started thinking about... weird things, since I was quite young, actually. Maybe twelve, I'd say. I used to think, "What is life?" or "Why was I chosen; how is my existence here necessary?"

I look around. Everything's like clockwork. People interacting, doing what they need to do. I feel like a ghost though. I am ignored by them. Days pass, but things remain the same... I'm still stuck in my own mess I created - my mind, my world. I told myself years ago as a child that my ultimate goal in life was to find out 'what it is all about'.

I started taking philosophy lessons. Unfortunately I've dropped it now, mainly because I couldn't really agree with most of Descartes' views. I don't like writing about what I don't agree with. I found some of his views of life rather intriguing though. This (http://www.cofc.edu/~portmord/99230L4.htm) link shows a lot of his views, and I got very interested in the Evil Demon argument, or his views on senses or dreams.

In another thread here, I stated that I know who I am... but the truth is, I don't. I don't honestly know who I am, or what I am. I don't know whether my entire existence is true. For all I know I could have been deceived for my entire life. Everything could be fake. I think about dreams a lot though, and wonder how our minds store the entire geometry of a location in order for us to revisit that location in the dream world. It's odd how our 'minds' can generate places in dreams though too.

I think I have typed enough. You probably think I'm even weirder now, but I think about this stuff a lot.

Firo Volondé
11-29-2006, 11:17 AM
This may not be the right thread if you're actually serious. If you are, it should be in EoFF. Too late for that now.

Funny, sometimes I get similar thoughts too. Mostly when I look in the mirrorr. It helps to distract myself from how monstrously ugly I am. (Just kidding. I'm not very attractive, though).

Levian
11-29-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't bother thinking about stuff like that, because I will never find an answer, and it won't do me any good so I'll just do what I feel like. and I feel like eating an orange now, so I'll go and do just that.

Rye
11-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Nope, not really. I don't tend to believe we're here for any crazy or religious reasons. We're just here.

Paro
11-29-2006, 11:29 AM
that is the wonder of life my friend.

life. it keeps you thinking.

Christmas
11-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Life is making NANNY MANUS cry. :bigsmile:

ljkkjlcm9
11-29-2006, 12:43 PM
you're not the only one who thinks like that, in fact most people go through a point where they think about that stuff. However, most people like me, probably think it's futile to think and worry about it too much because most of the questions will never get answered in this lifetime, so might as well enjoy my life, regardless of why I'm here.

THE JACKEL

Bunny
11-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Apathy always wins over philosophy with me. I have had the thoughts before but, much like my belief in a God, I do not think an answer will be reached in my lifetime and is thus, unimportant. So I will not concern myself with thinking about them.

Evol
11-29-2006, 12:53 PM
If you think and worry too much you will become lost.
Why dont you see a bright colors perhaps that will help you.
I can say many things about Life but i rather restrain myself because i will only make myself lost.

Shaun
11-29-2006, 01:44 PM
I just think it's stupid that everybody lives the same existence (pretty much), oblivious to the truths of the world.

Roto13
11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
You're so deep. You should start a religion.

Nominus Experse
11-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Yes, like you Shaun, I ponder similiar aspects of life. And in many ways, I can relate to the dissassociative feeling that comes via outside observation.

For what we cannot prove, sound and true, becomes a mess of relative truth. Although intriguing and a catalyst of thought, for those that choose to do so, it ultimately leads no where. Or so some would think.

I believe that introspective and/or other observations and thoughts in conern to people, the world, etc is an experience and act that adds to ones character. It allows you to know more of yourself, others, and really just about anything. It may leave you even more confused and perhaps even distressed, but at least you are thinking, trying to make sense of what a passing glance cannot.

I enjoy it. I don't know if it sets me apart form others, but such a thing hardly matters to me at any rate.

Jess
11-29-2006, 03:30 PM
I think things like this cross everyone's mind at some point, Shaun. Just, most people know/think that they will never find the answer and therefore, just don't bother thinking about it. :jess:

Shaun
11-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Roto, about a year ago I somehow inspired a member of EoFF to start his own religion. Just don't go there. XD

Nominus, I agree. We may never find an answer from our alternative thinking, but we'll be more aware at least. Indeed, most people give everything a simple 'passing glance'. I just cannot comprehend it. I'm an atheist; I don't believe in any kind of god. Alas, if something created us, it must have given us more to live for than this. It's just all the same... like a prison.

Jess, I have no idea what 'the answer' is or where it is. If a lot of life has simply been an illusion, then who knows how far away this answer is? Call me crazy if you wish, but I think there is a lot more to this world than what meets the eye.

Anaisa
11-29-2006, 04:41 PM
I don't think those thoughts are weird Shaun. At some point I'm sure a lot of people question the reason for their existence. I can see a reason why I exist, but I don't think every person is important. I think a lot of them are like props. Extras. Their just there to set the backdrop for the important people. If they are actually people..... The fact that a lot of people don't realise how tedious an boring their lifes are, their deluded, an they follow each other an behave in the same way, adds to my suspicions that maybe their not humans at all, just standard issue bots or something!

Jess
11-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Jess, I have no idea what 'the answer' is or where it is. If a lot of life has simply been an illusion, then who knows how far away this answer is? Call me crazy if you wish, but I think there is a lot more to this world than what meets the eye.
Ofcourse there may be more to the world than meets the eye, and I don't think you're crazy. I'd just rather live for what I know than look for something that I may never find. :jess:

Shaun
11-29-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't think those thoughts are weird Shaun. At some point I'm sure a lot of people question the reason for their existence. I can see a reason why I exist, but I don't think every person is important. I think a lot of them are like props. Extras. Their just there to set the backdrop for the important people. If they are actually people..... The fact that a lot of people don't realise how tedious an boring their lifes are, their deluded, an they follow each other an behave in the same way, adds to my suspicions that maybe their not humans at all, just standard issue bots or something!

Hehe, quite a theory. Honestly, I used to think about that one a lot years back. I suppose I thought it was too embarrassing or stupid to post here. You summed it up well. I guess I have a lot of trouble deciding whether a person's friendly or hostile, but yes, I used to think of many people as mere robots... extras. You say it's not weird, but I bet very few people think about things like this.

Ofcourse there may be more to the world than meets the eye, and I don't think you're crazy. I'd just rather live for what I know than look for something that I may never find. :jess:

But how do you know it, for sure? Going back to my point about things being illusionary, how do you know what you live for is genuine? You don't. You probably think there's no point in thinking about it, but like I said, the world runs like clockwork and it seems so straightforward. That's only humans' faults though, because many are oblivious to anything that doesn't regard them.

Quindiana Jones
11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
There's so many philosophical things I think about, it'd be just plain silly to list them. I like the questions though, because I'll never find an answer.

XxSephirothxX
11-29-2006, 05:11 PM
There are some things we'll never understand fully, for any number of reasons. Why do we exist? Well, because or parents had sex. But why does life exist? Why does the universe exist? We can make educated guesses based on what we know, but it's unlikely we'll ever have conclusive proof as to how and why everything works the way it does.

I think some philosophy is good and makes you appreciate life more, while other notions are just a bit ridiculous, such as the "You don't exist until I've met you" idea put forth by some philosopher I won't bother to look up. There's no definitive answer to life, and overthinking things just leads to ridiculously depressing thoughts like "It's just all the same... like a prison." Not everyone is caught up with this kind of thing because they either have a faith to follow, or they have something to live for. Their lives aren't tedious because they don't think they're tedious, and that's all that really mattes in the end--not how someone else judges them. Your life is what YOU make it. If you're constantly seeking answers to questions that don't really exist, you're never going to be happy. Or you could rely in your senses and just trust that this is real, that the world is not an illusion, and that you're only as happy as you make yourself. Try going outside once in awhile and just taking in the beauty of a sunny day. Amazing how it can seem to make your troubles evaporate.

Shaun
11-29-2006, 05:27 PM
I admit, I've had some depressing past few years, but my philosophical thinking is one thing that's kept me going. It's something that entertains me. Believe it or not, I've spent hours in one go thinking about these things. That makes me sound either stupid or sad, but if I am any of them it's not because of philosophy. I just need to believe in something that nobody else does, because life is very complex...

Tediosity is out of the question here. There is nothing tedious at all. I am always thinking about something, so why make it what the average person thinks about? I like gathering knowledge, but there's a certain joy in knowing things that may not be true, but aren't in any book. I don't think people's inner conscience should be dictated by religion. That's pathetic. People have the right to think. I'm guessing you're American, but those who're British will know there's nothing good about the outdoors at this time of year.

Vivisteiner
11-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Life is complex. But maybe if you look at life from another angle, you may realise how simple life can be as well.
The purpose of life? - There dosnt have to be one. But any purpose you do find, you have to find for yourself.

Life exists. Whether it has a purpose is up to you.