PDA

View Full Version : The 90's

Paro
11-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Did anyone like the 90's? I didn't.

George Bush Sr. was the president. The Persian Gulf War was on. A recession was in the horizon. Everything had that commercialized logo look-They had Stussy, Mossimo, Nike, Vans, Cross Colours, Movies and Music: Terminator 2, Boyz in the Hood, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N Roses, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Hammer, Stone Temple Pilots, Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg, Cypress Hill, NWA, Public Enemy.

Then Bill Clinton comes along, and everything becomes all slick and boring. I just remember '94. There was nothing to watch on tv except a video by TLC, Live, Offspring, Bush, or Silverchair. No wonder Kurt Cobain committed suicide. Fashion became lame with v-cut t-shirts, bell bottoms, Nike moon shoes, baby girl shirts, and no logo outfits.

Thank god for the internet. I guess the only thing to do in the 90's was chat on Icq and search the web.

But I have to admit-the 90's popularized Asian culture with movies like Bruce Lee's "The Dragon", Russell Wong's "Vanishing Son", and Hong Kong cinema.

Oh yeah, remember raves? What were we thinking?

blackmage_nuke
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
The 90's rocked, it had Final Fantasy IV-VIII

Bunny
11-29-2006, 12:47 PM
I am from the future.

You forgot Pokemon, Earth child.

Twilight Edge
11-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I am a total kid in the 90's and don't know a damn about anything. All I ever wanted was to construct my legos, and deconstruct them, and reconstruct them and turn them into hard-terrain crossing vehicles or jeeps with dual cannons.

Paro
11-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I am from the future.

You forgot Pokemon, Earth child.

you're bringing back the nightmares!

Shaun
11-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Could a CK change the title to 'The '90s'? It makes no sense to me as it is. Thank you. ;)

Flying Mullet
11-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I loved the 90s. I have very fond memories from that time.

I remember walking home from school with my buddy and reading the latest game reviews on the hotest and most advanced games, like Zelda: A Link to the Past and Castlevania IV.
I remember many winter weekends where I'd go skiing on Saturday and when I'd get home I'd kick back with FFVI and play well until the night.
I remember many spring and summer days riding single-track trails on my mountain bike with my buddies and going downtown to get dinner afterwards.
I remember many awesome meals where my college buddies and I would get a patio table and a couple of pitchers of beer and pass the hours telling stories and listening to the live music play.
I remember being so optimistic for the future when all of this futuristic stuff starting happening, like techno and raves, the internet and faster computers.

Anyways, yeah, I liked the 90s.

Martyr
11-29-2006, 02:50 PM
The 90s had awesome music.

Breine
11-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, the 90's were pretty awesome... no doubt about that - I'll bet that in ten years we'll be looking back and remembering how awesome the 00's were. It's funny that you can't really see how great it is when you're living it, but only when you're looking back... Nostalgia is a strange thing.

By the way, I liked Bill Clinton :P (or maybe just the fact that he was a democrat)

Old Manus
11-29-2006, 04:21 PM
The 90's had the Millennium

Anaisa
11-29-2006, 05:00 PM
My life doesn't centre around popular culture, so how good a decade is for me on the whole isn't solely based around that. But if I were to judge it on that, the 90s was bloody awful. But the 00s are a whole lot worse.
like Bruce Lee's "The Dragon" I hope you're not talking about that sham of a movie of "his life". That was a joke. An not a funny one. It's not even factual. It's an insult to him.

Flying Mullet
11-29-2006, 05:10 PM
No, you're thinking of <i><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon:_The_Bruce_Lee_Story">Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story</a></i>. Paro's referring to the classics, such as <i><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_the_Dragon">Enter the Dragon</a></i> and <i><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_the_Dragon">Way of the Dragon/Return of the Dragon</a></i> (I hope).

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-29-2006, 05:20 PM
It remember the 90's for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, my first encounter with Sailor Moon, Disney actually having decent animated movies, actual stuff worth watching Saturday mornings, ability to wake before everyone else (now I sleep in all the time), Spiderman cartoons (the good ones) and other stuff related to my childhood.

Oh and there was a lot better TV programing then. Most stuff now are crappy half-arsed copies of successful shows (like all those Reality TV shows, most of them are spin-offs of Survivor, Big Brother, etc...).

Anaisa
11-29-2006, 05:23 PM
No, you're thinking of <i><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon:_The_Bruce_Lee_Story">Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story</a></i>. Paro's referring to the classics, such as <i><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_the_Dragon">Enter the Dragon</a></i> and <i><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_the_Dragon">Way of the Dragon/Return of the Dragon</a></i> (I hope).I assumed since they weren't released in the 90s, he was refering to Dragon.

Yamaneko
11-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Two words. Jurassic Park. The end.

Miriel
11-29-2006, 06:53 PM
WHAT THE HELL. Who doesn't love the 90's?!

I <3 the 90's (even in 3D!).

The 90's had POGS. Oh man, I loved pogs.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-29-2006, 06:56 PM
the '70s popularized Asian culture with moviesFixed.

black orb
11-29-2006, 07:09 PM
>>> I guess the 90s were ok, I was pathetic teenager back then so it wasnt a very happy stage of my life.. now im a pathetic adult but whatever..
My childhood was full of joy and happiness so I cherish more the 80s..

Rocket Edge
11-29-2006, 07:10 PM
The 90's were great, a happy childhood filled with FFVIII.

Dreddz
11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
The 90's were great, but then again, its the only decade Ive fully lived through, so its hard to compare to other decades. But they were certainly better than this decade.

Ender
11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Gaming grew from its technological infancy and did things people the decade before could barely imagine...

TMNT, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, The X-Files, Friends, Beverly Hills 90210

The Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, The Usual Suspects, American History X

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime, Rage Against the Machine, the best rap music

Cell phones

Taking the internet mainstream

The end of 80s fashion

The end of the Cold War
The fall of the Berlin Wall

...The 90s is the best decade ever. It is known.

Flying Mullet
11-29-2006, 07:50 PM
I forgot about POGS. :love:

That was about the same time that I played <i>Magic: The Gathering</i> too.

BarelySeeAtAll
11-29-2006, 07:52 PM
*snivvel* it was when Lady of the Sheep was born, and you are dissing it?

I Took the Red Pill
11-29-2006, 07:57 PM
http://crystaljade.bigblog.com.au/data/1/8408/image/1070283908020060627195029.jpg

Bunny
11-29-2006, 08:02 PM

I totally had a metal slammer that won everything it ever touched and pogs were the most awesomestic piece of circular thin sheets of cardboard whatever ever.

Thank you for reminding me.

escobert
11-29-2006, 08:22 PM
The 90's rocked!

Diango12
11-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Just shows how far we came, glad all those habits are out of our systems 6 years may not seem like a lot but it was. Iam glad it is we are in the 21 century now so yelp for joy :moomba:

oddler
11-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Pretty soon we'll have That 90s Show.

Araciel
11-29-2006, 09:20 PM
http://crystaljade.bigblog.com.au/data/1/8408/image/1070283908020060627195029.jpg

hahahah earth, wind, fire, water.....HEART....so lame and yet i watched it every weekend

it was the best decade...i was a teenager through half of it so the person i am today is because of the 90s.

most of my favourite media is from the 90s, video games tv, movies, music etc...

Xander
11-29-2006, 10:08 PM
I liked 90s pop music, music is the thing I most remember about the 90s I guess :)

Vikeve
11-29-2006, 10:14 PM

yup! I loved the 90's!

Shlup
11-29-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't even remember the 90's.

Meat Puppet
11-30-2006, 12:23 AM
For me, the worst part of the 90s was Y2K. That was also the first time I actually knew it was the 90s, so Y2K is all I can remember from the 90s.

Casey
11-30-2006, 08:48 AM
I was a 90's kid of course I loved the 90's. It was a time of being care free and just growing up, didn't give a damn about politics.

wishingstar
11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I love the 90's! Had a blast in elementary and high school.
Good cartoons.Great TV. F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Awesome seasons of EPL.
Eric Cantona, pocket gaming machines ( Helicopter thingy, tetris, electronic pet), Internet, grunge music.

Now I am aware that I'm living in an "interesting" time, I feel dejected.. but I look forward to space travel, smallest ipod nano (or pico/fermo?), more environmental- friendly vehicle , cure for cancer and commercially available batman's gadgets(that should include invisibility cloak).

Peegee
11-30-2006, 12:44 PM
You know in about 10 years all of us will be looking back at 2000-2010 as a decade of war.

Granted the gulf war lasted longer than that, and worldwide dissent even longer, but that's what we will remember regardless.

I remember the 1990's as a eon of fun. Good tv shows, dance music booming to pop culture, and lots of teen memories.

Strider
11-30-2006, 12:55 PM
http://club.telepolis.com/srapaquito/miticos2/images/steve-urkel-2.jpg

Bunny
11-30-2006, 01:13 PM
I remember the 1990's as a eon of fun. Good tv shows, dance music booming to pop culture, and lots of teen memories.

An eon is a billion years.. >_>;;

Loony BoB
11-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Did anyone like the 90's? I didn't.

George Bush Sr. was the president. The Persian Gulf War was on. A recession was in the horizon. Everything had that commercialized logo look-They had Stussy, Mossimo, Nike, Vans, Cross Colours, Movies and Music: Terminator 2, Boyz in the Hood, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N Roses, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Hammer, Stone Temple Pilots, Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg, Cypress Hill, NWA, Public Enemy.

Then Bill Clinton comes along, and everything becomes all slick and boring. I just remember '94. There was nothing to watch on tv except a video by TLC, Live, Offspring, Bush, or Silverchair. No wonder Kurt Cobain committed suicide. Fashion became lame with v-cut t-shirts, bell bottoms, Nike moon shoes, baby girl shirts, and no logo outfits.

Thank god for the internet. I guess the only thing to do in the 90's was chat on Icq and search the web.

But I have to admit-the 90's popularized Asian culture with movies like Bruce Lee's "The Dragon", Russell Wong's "Vanishing Son", and Hong Kong cinema.

Oh yeah, remember raves? What were we thinking?
Given that you were a teenager during the '90's, I'm assuming you were one of those people that went around saying everything sucks. Man, you guys needed a good spankin'.

I think the '90's were awesome. I, for one, enjoyed my teenage years. There was good music (and now I miss it, and download it when I remember it), no gulf war, Bill Clinton was the best president ever because he actually made internationals LIKE America, and you should really be thankful for that, because Bush II has screwed you guys badly and now everyone hates Americans again. Yeah, that's right!

I don't know, I actually just enjoyed them because I didn't have to deal with all the crap that there is today. I enjoyed the 80's, too.

Also, fashion is always stupid. Really, now.