PDA

View Full Version : Butchered Anime on TV

Paro
11-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Who actually watched a full series of an Anime that has been butchered (horrendously edited) on TV?

Or more so, did you enjoy it? Did you see the uncut version? If you did, was there any case where you actually liked the edited better then the uncut?

And anymore ideas about the Discussion as well..

Raebus
11-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Escaflowne, when the uncut version is compared to the cut and heavily edited version shown on fox kids, well...you get the point. The version fox kids showed sucked, by god, it sucked so much. Information was removed and their wasnt any blood.

Sucked.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah, Escaflowne is the story of a spunky but self-doubting high school track runner who finds herself displaced in a fantasy-like world, separated from her friends and family, caught between the affections of two older guys, and all the while hunted by a megalomaniacal emperor and his armies of oppression. And what FOX tried to do was rearrange footage in every episode so that one of the supporting characters, a brooding badass prince who is quick to violence and commands a caped dragon-mecha, was made the star of the show instead. You know, for the boys! As you'd predict, the results were pretty disgusting.

JKTrix
11-29-2006, 03:18 PM
I was never really one to say "Holy crap, this show is so butchered I'm never watching it again and will tell people to never watch it". I guess I've been more understanding of why they edit the shows the way they do, and it didn't bother me because I have/had already seen the 'real' version.

With anime on Adult Swim, these edits are either nonexistant or very minimal (usually nudity and harsh swearing is edited, and that's it). Adult Swim has most of the quality anime on TV now anyway... at least the channels I get.

Markus. D
11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Dragon Ball Z ._.

charliepanayi
11-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Tenchi Muyo (and Tenchi Universe) when they were shown on Cartoon Network in the UK a few yers ago - I didn't know about it at the time of course and only saw the uncut versions a few years later. The calling alcohol 'tea' was especially stupid (imagine having the film Dumbo without the 'pink elephants' scene for instance) but on the other hand watching the series did get me into anime and manga so I am still glad I saw it.

LunarWeaver
11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Cardcaptor Sakura was completely ruined :cry:

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah, Escaflowne is the story of a spunky but self-doubting high school track runner who finds herself displaced in a fantasy-like world, separated from her friends and family, caught between the affections of two older guys, and all the while hunted by a megalomaniacal emperor and his armies of oppression. And what FOX tried to do was rearrange footage in every episode so that one of the supporting characters, a brooding badass prince who is quick to violence and commands a caped dragon-mecha, was made the star of the show instead. You know, for the boys! As you'd predict, the results were pretty disgusting.

Just like what they tried to do with Cardcaptor Sakura.

tan
11-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Dragon Ball Z ._.

Yeah I used to enjoy Dragon Ball Z when I was younger. Boy was I foolish.

Anyway, I kind of liked One Piece, for about two episodes. I tried really hard to like it but it was so annoying I couldn't stand it. I haven't seen the original version of it, but I can definitely tell it's so butchered it's less than half of what it used to be. Such a shame people try to change something good just to market it to kids to get money o_o

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-29-2006, 10:43 PM

The French dubbing is less edited than the English, plus I find the voice acting is better. Sakura sounds too masculine in the English version, especially compared to the French. Though there are parts where the editing was really crappy. Like the last episode. When they meet at the airport and stuff, Purichina starts but then is abruptly cut off and then they go to the unnamed card.

I am surprised no one said Sailor Moon yet...

Jessweeee♪
11-29-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't see much anime other than what's on TV, despite how much I love it. Now that I think of it...all of the anime I watch on TV is on the Adult Swim line up. So I have no problems :P

louby_4eva
11-30-2006, 05:18 PM
I actually prefer the dubbed versions of most things, Fushigi yuugi, Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura, but I guess that's just me. :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Roto13
11-30-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm glad bad editing seems to be on the decline. Shows like Texhnolyze come out nicely.

look_out_below
11-30-2006, 08:30 PM
One Piece, Naruto, Azumanga Daioh are ruined in the English versions.

Fire_Emblem776
11-30-2006, 08:35 PM

The French dubbing is less edited than the English, plus I find the voice acting is better. Sakura sounds too masculine in the English version, especially compared to the French. Though there are parts where the editing was really crappy. Like the last episode. When they meet at the airport and stuff, Purichina starts but then is abruptly cut off and then they go to the unnamed card.

I am surprised no one said Sailor Moon yet...

Sailor Moon, the final seasons not even dubbed:eep:
Screw you Cloverway!!:mad2: Making cousins "love" one another:eep:
And screw you DIC for taking all the original BGM in season 1 and 2!
*pants*

Oh well at least, Sailor Moon wasn't censored as bad as One Piece.

Vermachtnis
11-30-2006, 08:39 PM
I started watching non-Toonami Tenchi Muyo! and Outlaw Star and whew, was that some editing they did. They didn't even show an episode of Outlaw Star. Toonami is starting to get a little better though. I've heard hell a couple of times in Naruto and I'm truely positive, but I think I heard damn in an episode of Zatch Bell!
I even remember the last episode of YuYu Hakusho, they played on Toonami was completely unedited!

One Piece doesn't count, cause it was on Fox Kids and I don't trust their dubs ever since the Escaflowne fiasco y'all keep bringing up.

charliepanayi
11-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Azumanga is not ruined in the English version, I don't know how the hell you can put that in the same sentence as the likes of Naruto and One Piece. Besides aren't we talking about edited anime, not the quality of dubs.

Avarice-ness
11-30-2006, 08:44 PM
I started watching non-Toonami Tenchi Muyo! and Outlaw Star and whew, was that some editing they did. They didn't even show an episode of Outlaw Star. Toonami is starting to get a little better though. I've heard hell a couple of times in Naruto and I'm truely positive, but I think I heard damn in an episode of Zatch Bell!
I even remember the last episode of YuYu Hakusho, they played on Toonami was completely unedited!

One Piece doesn't count, cause it was on Fox Kids and I don't trust their dubs ever since the Escaflowne fiasco y'all keep bringing up.

Naruto's rated TV-PG which makes soft-cursing okay.

The only anime I bothered to watch in english was FMA, the story line or translations didn't change to much, they just edited a hell of alot of blood out compared to the original.

Fire_Emblem776
11-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Anything by DIC is doomed.

look_out_below
11-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Azumanga is not ruined in the English version, I don't know how the hell you can put that in the same sentence as the likes of Naruto and One Piece. Besides aren't we talking about edited anime, not the quality of dubs.

In my mind dubbing is a form of editing, it is changing the original product. And what i think about english Azumanga is just my opinion, i am sure many people enjoyed the english version i just did not.
Another anime that lost some of its value in the english version was Trigun.