PDA

View Full Version : Best to start with.

Levian
11-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah, so a friend has mentioned interest in trying getting into FF, but is still a bit skeptic. So what game do you think is the best one to start with? Which will make her want to play the others? Consider difficulty to get the hang on, interesting story and perhaps graphics. I know my friend probably won't be interested in starting with any FF lower than 7. But yeah, feel free to discuss regardless of graphics too if you feel that anyone below 7 is better to start with.

I'm thinking maybe FF9, because it ain't too hard to get into and the story is ok too.

Mirage
11-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Is he a sucker for love stories?

Flying Mullet
11-29-2006, 04:07 PM
I would suggest IX for the reasons you stated above and the fact that it draws from so many of the previous Final Fantasies. Chances are, if they like IX, they'll be up for the others.

dodhungry
11-29-2006, 04:15 PM
One of my cousines has been contemplating the same thing. I said 9 as well. I dont think 9 gets too overwhelming and ther learning curve is quick. Now if they just take the time to play the whole thing out.

Levian
11-29-2006, 04:15 PM

It's a girl, so probably yes. I don't think she'll get the junction system any time soon, though.

ljkkjlcm9
11-29-2006, 04:25 PM
too bad she's not interested below VII, or I'd say VI, because honestly it's not a hard game and is amazing! But yeah, I'd say IX then...

THE JACKEL

Mirage
11-29-2006, 04:32 PM

It's a girl, so probably yes. I don't think she'll get the junction system any time soon, though.
FF8 then, just let her use "auto junction" :p. Other than that, FFX, she might think Tidus is sexy.
Remember, if she doesn't get stuff, you're there and can teach her!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-29-2006, 04:40 PM
FFIX. The Nomura games won't cut it, and as wonderful as FFXII is, it's too different from the rest of the series to be an ideal entry point.

Christmas
11-29-2006, 04:44 PM
FF X-2

EDIT: LEVIAN HAVE FRIENDS? :eek:

EDIT2: AND A GIRL TOO. :eek:

The Crystal
11-29-2006, 04:45 PM
FFIX

Flying Mullet
11-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Looks like you got a consensus of FFIX Lev. Now go and teach your "friend" all about Final Fantasy, ;)

Levian
11-29-2006, 04:49 PM

FF8 then, just let her use "auto junction" :p. Other than that, FFX, she might think Tidus is sexy.
Remember, if she doesn't get stuff, you're there and can teach her!

Yeah, I guess it could work. But it would be a bit boring to watch her summon GF's all the time. :D FFVIII is a sweet game, though. With Triple Triad and the story. So it will definitely be one of the first in line, iif not the first.

too bad she's not interested below VII, or I'd say VI, because honestly it's not a hard game and is amazing! But yeah, I'd say IX then...

THE JACKAL

Yes, it certainly has one of the easiest systems to get into, and it's not so complicated. She's already played a bit of FFX, so I don't think she'd be interested in that just yet. :D

FFIX. The Nomura games won't cut it, and as wonderful as FFXII is, it's too different from the rest of the series to be an ideal entry point.

Another good thing about FFIX is the two player function. :up: The music and atmosphere is nice too, well the other games are good in that way too, but this one especially. :D

Looks like you got a consensus of FFIX Lev. Now go and teach your "friend" all about Final Fantasy, ;)

Oh, I'll teach her :jokey:

Necronopticous
11-29-2006, 05:17 PM
I start everyone with Final Fantasy X, then move to IX, I've actually thought a lot about this, and I feel that this is the best way to go. Final Fantasy X is graphically stunning, and probably the most user-friendly game in the series, so it's extremely accessible to almost anyone which allows the story to be a lot more prominent to those who are first experiencing the series.

What I have found is that starting out on Final Fantasy IX, as Kish suggested, is a little overwheming to people who have never played many games before.

The other thing you have going for you in Final Fantasy X is the voice acting. It's nice to ease your way into the idea of sitting through a 50+ hour game that contains a great deal of dialogue with voicing on the main scenes, this will make the game more like a movie to them and probably get them more interested than realizing they have to read everything right from the get-go.

If they get all the way through Final Fantasy X, which I imagine anyone in their right mind with enough time to do so would do, then Final Fantasy IX is a nice good transition. It eases them into slightly more dated graphics without going overboard, and makes Final Fantasy X serve as kind of a big long tutorial. If you get them through Final Fantasy IX, you're good to go, because now you can pretty much go anywhere.

I have introduced many people to the Final Fantasy series like this, and if you're interested in where I go after that it usually looks something like this:

X -> IX -> VII -> VI (or VIII if they can't stomach the 2D graphics, making them promise to play VI next) -> VIII -> IV -> So on.

I might adjust a bit now that XII is out. XII would be natural before or after VII, another one to sort of "seal the deal" before bringing out the 16 bit guns.

Sefie1999AD
11-29-2006, 05:28 PM
It depends a bit on what your friend is like. If she likes romantic stories (even if the story and gameplay aren't really all that great), I'd suggest FFVIII for her. Otherwise, I can't really recommend FFVIII or FFX since I find them to be among the weaker FFs. This leaves FFX-2 out of the question since it's a sequel. FFVII is a good FF to start with, although there's a risk that it will turn her into a fangirl who doesn't give the other FFs a chance. :p

Final Fantasy IX is a great game to start with, provided she doesn't have problems with the "chibi" looking characters. Go for FFXI if she likes online RPGs and you can play it along with her. I've heard many good things about FFXII, but many have also said it's a very hard game, so it may not be the best choice for a new FF gamer.

Bolivar
11-29-2006, 05:51 PM
I would start off w/ IV, that kinda defines the whole series, but IX because it's so in-game helpful, and X because of the movie side of it, but i don't feel like those 2 will get them the full drift of what FF is all about like IV will.

Necronopticous
11-29-2006, 06:17 PM
http://demented3d.com/ffiv/images/screens/295.jpg

Bunny
11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Final Fantasy XI or Final Fantasy XII.

Throw her directly into the fire and watch her rip her hair out in frustration. And then laugh maniacially at her pain.

Or be nice and give her Final Fantasy IX. She might think the monkey man is cute.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-29-2006, 06:44 PM
http://demented3d.com/ffiv/images/screens/31.jpg

rubah
11-30-2006, 02:31 AM
I thought ff8 was a nice transition from the ps2 graphics. I mean it was surprising at first, but your jaw can't really drop at ff9's graphics until you've played the other playstation games first.

Dell
11-30-2006, 05:08 AM
FFVII, FFIX or FFVI.

I'd probably start with FFVI then FFVII. VI and VII have some much thing in common, but VI resembles old school (Nerds in Paradise :laugh:), while VII resembles new generation (The Quickening). I'm sure she have no problem playing other FF, she'll probably hate FFX, which I HATE TOO!!!!

Miriel
11-30-2006, 06:05 AM
Levia, DO NOT START HER ON FFVIII. I swear if you do... :mad2:

But yeah, I'd say IX is a good starting point. I think starting someone off on super graphics and voice acting will spoil them for the earlier games. They'll come to expect that, and it might deter from their enjoyment of great games like IX and VI. So yeah. I don't think you should start her off on X. VII is a good place to start too, I think.

PS. Levia has a girlfriend?? Awww! ^_^

nik0tine
11-30-2006, 06:08 AM
Jeremy makes sense. IX is the best game in the series, hands down, in my opinion. X, however, is an excellent game and it's far easier for someone new to the series to get into. X, then IX, then she'll be hooked.

And yeah, do NOT start her out with FFVIII. Despite the fact that it's made out of awesome, it's either hit or miss with most people. There's a good chance it'll alienate her from the series.

Edit: Whatever you do, don't start her out with FFII.

Wolf Kanno
11-30-2006, 06:57 AM
FFIV, it's accessable, it's got romance, and it doesn'y have many menus to seperate you from the game. Honestly, start her off with the ealier games. If you start her off with Nomura's crap she'll never be able to really appreciate this series. I know too many people who started off on FFVII and FFX and refuse to play any of the earlier games cause they look too dated and they need some massive hollywood cutscene every five minutes in order to keep them entertain.

Please be kind to her and start her on FFIV and just progress through the series chronologically. She deserves to be loved the right way:love: If you have to start on recent game, I will concede to FFIX since it was the only good game on the PS1. Besides, do you want to listen to her constantly fawning over Cloud, Squall, Sephiroth, and Tidus?

boys from the dwarf
11-30-2006, 07:55 AM
FF4 is simple, a good game and overall a very good one to start with but i prefer FF9 because i'd say its better.

FF4 has abou 20-25 hours of gameplay and is easy to follow so i guess FF4 would be a very good one.

FFV would also be good to start of with but it might be a bit hard if the players new to the job system.

FF9 is easy enough and is possibly my favourite FF and i've always thought of it as a good fun game which can be played by anyone.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Any from VII onwards should reel him in

EDIT: and possibly make him register with this place

Crossblades
12-01-2006, 02:36 AM
Any from VII onwards should reel him in

EDIT: and possibly make him register with this place

Levian's friend is a girl >_>