PDA

View Full Version : How do you walk?

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Before anyone says "One foot before the other" kinda stuff, that is not what I mean.

Basically I mean, how do you hold yourself when you walk. Do you slouch, or do you keep good posture? Are your shoulders straight out, or slightly turned in? Do you look down? Ahead? A little of both?

I was thinking about this the other day(while walking). They say each gait of a person is unique. There are actually people developing cellphone security/anti-theft technology based on this.

Personally, I tend to walk slightly slouched, my shoulders are turned in. I look forward, yet my gaze is diagonal. I am also quite the brisk walker. I usually pass everyone on the sidewalk, when I feel like it. That means when I walk with people, I walk at their pace. My brisk walking has to do with long legs and a fast walking pace.

Araciel
11-29-2006, 10:40 PM
i walk as straight and tall as i can...shoulders pushed back to a reasonable level and fast...fast for me is super fast for most people. i look straight ahead and make eye contact if possible with most people...maybe i shouldn't but whatever.

Flying Mullet
11-29-2006, 10:41 PM
I try not to slouch and my pace varies based on my mood or if I need to get some place in a hurry.

I once read that if you hold up your head so that you are looking just above the horizon it helps to keep your body from slouching. I've tried it and it seems to work.

Anaisa
11-29-2006, 10:50 PM
I keep good posture. An I leave my arms by my side, I don't stick them out like some people do. It makes them look like an ape when they do that. An I look forward unless there are a gang of perverts waiting to look at me, then I usually look at the floor to obscure their view, an ruin their sick fun. How quickly I walk depends on what mood I'm in, what shoes I'm wearing, an if I'm in a hurry.

Martyr
11-29-2006, 10:52 PM
I used to walk extremely fast, all hunched over... it looked horrible.

I actually developed something of a back problem, not like a real physical problem, but it was such a habit that my muscles hurt when I walked upright.

But not anymore. I started running, I practiced working my back muscles, and now I walk upright and quite tall, and I take long strides (I hate it when people are in my way because it pains me to walk slow and to stunt my leg movement. I can't figure out how other people manage either without cramping up), and I also bounce when I walk.

I walk upright, fast with long strides, and I bounce.

Jessweeee♪
11-29-2006, 10:53 PM
I cross my arms and look at the floor as I walk. I lug my backpack everywhere at school, too and I always slouch. It's funny, people try and cheer me up, but I'm not sad, I've just walked this way ever since I can remember.

I'm going to have back problems :eep:

Shauna
11-29-2006, 10:56 PM
I stand up tall, with my arms crossed, and walk quite briskly.

Rye
11-29-2006, 10:56 PM
My posture is pretty good when I need it to be, because I'm so used to having to have really good posture in Honors Choir.

Twisted Tinkerbell
11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I used to slouch a bit, but I don't anymore. I walk pretty slow, and at the moment, in great pain, I just got a huge tattoo on my thigh.

Leen-Leen
11-29-2006, 11:15 PM
I try to have good posture when I walk, but I probably end up looking like I'm souching anyways. And I just look straight ahead at where I need to go.

Shlup
11-29-2006, 11:36 PM
I probably don't have very good posture. And I walk really slow.

Roto13
11-29-2006, 11:45 PM
I just kind of cartwheel down the street.

Shiny
11-29-2006, 11:50 PM

:love:

I walk at a quick pace for a reason that I don't know.

Dreddz
11-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Years of keeping all my school books in my bag has given me a hunch in later life. Lame.

Roto13
11-30-2006, 12:01 AM

You're running from something. That'll be $300.[/psychiatrist]

Timerk
11-30-2006, 12:05 AM
I walk like a duck, with my toes pointed outward.

fire_of_avalon
11-30-2006, 12:19 AM
It depends on weather or not I have a backpack.

Shiny
11-30-2006, 12:27 AM

You're running from something. That'll be $300.[/psychiatrist]
xD Omg, rip off. How can I be running when I'm walking? *Ponders*

I actually had a teacher last year who was convinced that you can tell alot about a person by the way they walk. For instance, if you tend to walk close to the wall it means you're introverted. But, if you walk in the middle of the hallway then you are extroverted according to him. I'm not sure how true that is.

Roto13
11-30-2006, 04:40 AM
The hockey players in my high school used to walk in the middle of the hallways, but that's probably because of their tremendous heads. Pep rallies looked like parades.

Dell
11-30-2006, 04:44 AM
I walk normally but I used to walk to school and that makes me a fast-walker.

Twilight Edge
11-30-2006, 05:17 AM
Hands in my pocket, chest pressed back and a slightly slouching back.

Martyr
11-30-2006, 05:29 AM
I actually had a teacher last year who was convinced that you can tell alot about a person by the way they walk. For instance, if you tend to walk close to the wall it means you're introverted. But, if you walk in the middle of the hallway then you are extroverted according to him. I'm not sure how true that is.

Theory stands taller that students who sit near the wall are more introverted.

I don't know about walking closer to the wall. I could be accused of being introverted, and I'll walk anywhere so long as I can get around whatever's in my way.

LunarWeaver
11-30-2006, 05:37 AM
I have bad posture, and I walk like I'm in some sort of special olympics competition.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Depends on my mood. If I am angry and feel like a fight, which I do a lot, I stand tall (which is hard for someone only 5'3") and keep my shoulders wide. I usually bump into as many people as I can then, hoping for a fight.

But I am usually happy. And when I am happy, it is pretty much the same, but with a much friendlier demeanor. Smiling and eye contact with everyone. And I am usually holding the hand of the most wonderful girl in the world. :)

But yeah. I usually walk in the center of the halls and work my way through people. I like making eye contact and smiling. I smile a lot. Smiling is good.

blackmage_nuke
11-30-2006, 05:54 AM
My head is either up turning around, scanning the area or down. My right hand is sometimes fiddling with a chain. i walk abit fast but not very fast. And if im listening to music i walk in time with the music. And if theres no one around sometimes i do a few spins and dance abit.

Martyr
11-30-2006, 05:58 AM
Depends on my mood. If I am angry and feel like a fight, which I do a lot, I stand tall (which is hard for someone only 5'3") and keep my shoulders wide. I usually bump into as many people as I can then, hoping for a fight.

If you're 5'3, you're never looking for a fight.

abrojtm
11-30-2006, 06:09 AM
I have pretty bad posture, but I'm working on it.
Also, my femurs connect into my hipsocket so that I'm slightly bowlegged giving me a duck-like gait.

In middle school, they called me "Goose."

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-30-2006, 06:12 AM

If you're 5'3, you're never looking for a fight.

Actually. I look for fights a lot. And occasionally get them. And rarely lose them. It helps that I am extremely fit and fast and am a varsity wrestler. I know my moves. I know how to take bigger people down to the ground and put them in pain.

Though one should never inflict pain on others simply because one is in a bad mood. Something I am working on.

Casey
11-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Being in the military, yes I walk with good posture.

Jess
11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
I walk up straight with my shoulders out with my hands by my side. If the weathers rainy or cold, my shoulders go inwards to try and keep warmer! :jess:

I Am Stoner
11-30-2006, 01:52 PM
I Walk slow if i'm drunk and fast if i'm sober, and if i'm stoned I don't walk, I fly.^_^

But really I don't have bad posture, I just walk normaly.

Bunny
11-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Being in the military, yes I walk with good posture.

Being in the military has nothing to do with how you walk.

I walk with my shoulders inward, slouched over slightly with my head angled towards the ground. I walk at varying speeds depending on the person I am with, but generally I walk pretty quickly. If it is raining or somewhat cold with a light breeze, I'll slow down to enjoy the beautiful weather.

Loony BoB
11-30-2006, 02:12 PM
I find that when I wear a suit, I walk with a lot more self-pride than when I'm wearing my casual clothes. There's the whole style thing going on.

Otherwise, I walk with my hands in my pockets during winter because it's COLD.

Dark Wizard
11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I walk normal, I don't look at people usually as I hate most people in this /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif town...however if I'm running I flail my arms out like Yuna does when she runs....LOLz

Captain Maxx Power
11-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Depends on my mood. If I'm having an "off" day then I tend to slouch and hide my face a lot. If I'm "on the ball" I'm a lot more animated and upright.

NorthernChaosGod
12-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Shoulders out, back straight, and long, slow strides.

Rantz
12-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I walk like this :jess: (http://youtube.com/watch?v=oYlzTdSZeI4)

Shaun
12-01-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure. Heh, dyspraxics aren't exactly the best at many things... I try my best to keep a good posture, but sometimes I'm not so sure myself.

BarelySeeAtAll
12-01-2006, 04:55 PM
i walk like a sheep!!!
not really, only joking, no, i swagger admitedly, ive benn told i walk with my head held high, snobby like,then again slouchy walking with my mum dwn twn.
yet again, with my cuz down town, i swagger then :D

Alastair|UK
12-01-2006, 05:06 PM
i guess i walk with a slouch but every so often i get some one making a comment saying i look like im tryna pick a fight with some one but i donno

Pike
12-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Normally I guess... I seem to have a pretty fast stride when walking by myself, although when walking with other people I tend to be a bit behind them... dunno why. xP

I absolutely hate having somebody walking, like... RIGHT behind me. I always feel like I'm being followed or something.

fire_of_avalon
12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
It depends on weather or not I have a backpack.

Jesus, did I really say "weather or not"? Someone shoot me.

Quindiana Jones
12-01-2006, 06:51 PM
*shoots foa*

I walk like John Wayne after he's soiled himself.

Giga Guess
12-02-2006, 03:53 AM
I walk like a lumber wagon. Not exactly graceful here.