PDA

View Full Version : 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 . . . 3

Mercen-X
11-29-2006, 11:56 PM
I was actually just wondering if Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II-III were released originally on the Famicom? And IV-VI were released on Super right?

By this count, there would be three FF installments on each system that has ever come out and in all likelihood, there will be a XIV and XV on the PS3.

This simply struck me as interesting.

I wonder if they'll pull multiplicities with every new installment they create?

Roto13
11-30-2006, 12:05 AM
You're just realizing this now? :P Also notice that the last game on each console is the best one. This is not opinion. This is fact.

LunarWeaver
11-30-2006, 02:24 AM
You're just realizing this now? :P Also notice that the last game on each console is the best one. This is not opinion. This is fact.

I love you coz you're so full of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. <3

With all this compilation focus, I don't know if they will make it to XIV and XV or not, especially with development costs going up and such. We'll probably be stuck in the XIII world for many years to come.

Moon Rabbits
11-30-2006, 04:02 AM
Yes, I realized this.

Roto: FFVIII > FFIX and FFIV > FFVI :bigsmile:

Bunny
11-30-2006, 04:55 AM
But aren't there two different versions of Final Fantasy XIII coming out on the PS3? One focusing on the female prospective of the story and then one with a male protagonist? I'm not sure because I haven't really read a lot about the game(s), but that is what I gathered with minimal information.

Anyway, would you count those as two games or just one as they have the same numeral?

RiseToFall
11-30-2006, 05:52 AM
You would probably cound XIII as just one. Since X-2 wasn't counted this time around.

Roto13
11-30-2006, 02:25 PM

No, you're wrong. No need to explain why, you just are.

Flying Mullet
11-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, I realized this.

Roto: FFVIII = big pile of poo and FFVI > All :bigsmile:
I fixed it for you. :)

NGU
11-30-2006, 10:57 PM

VII was far better than 9

Roto13
11-30-2006, 11:55 PM

Only in the minds of those who played it before any other Final Fantasy, good sir.

Dragonface
12-01-2006, 12:46 AM
You would probably cound XIII as just one. Since X-2 wasn't counted this time around.

FF XI didn't came out on PS2 (PAL) but came on PC and XBOX360.

Jigsaw
12-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Technically, the PS1 had Anthologies, Origins, and Chronicles, which were admittedly ports, but there was also Tactics. That may have been a spinoff sorta kinda, but c'mon now.

I guess you could also say that SNES had FF:MQ, but let's forget about that.

RiseToFall
12-01-2006, 02:27 AM

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. What difference does it make what system it came out on?

Roto13
12-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Technically, the PS1 had Anthologies, Origins, and Chronicles, which were admittedly ports, but there was also Tactics. That may have been a spinoff sorta kinda, but c'mon now.

I guess you could also say that SNES had FF:MQ, but let's forget about that.

The ports don't count. :P Neither do the spinoffs. Even Tactics.

Flying Mullet
12-01-2006, 12:47 PM
No one cares about Europe though.

Mirage
12-01-2006, 01:12 PM

Only in the minds of those who played it before any other Final Fantasy, good sir.
I played FF6 and FF5 before FF7. I still don't like FF9 better than it.

ValiantKnight
12-01-2006, 02:01 PM
I have to agree with Roto for the moment.
VI and IV can be argued a little..... but not much from my perspective.
And /shrug... IX seems to increase its lead over VII day by day in my mind.

/shrugs...
As for I, II, III, I only really have experience with I at the moment.

And no matter what we say or do.. the majority of people will like FFVII and FFX the most.... although I can not see why. I'd rather have XII and IX.

Roto13
12-01-2006, 04:41 PM
No one cares about Europe though.Obviously.

I played FF6 and FF5 before FF7. I still don't like FF9 better than it.Yes, but you're on drugs so you don't count. :P

chionos
12-01-2006, 08:47 PM
the theory that the last game on each system is the best is ok, because FFVI>FFIV>FFV, FFIX>FFVII>FFVIII, FFXII>FFX>FFX-2
BUT then you hit the original trio FFIII<FFII<FFI
so it almost works out that way, but not quite.
I'm not counting FFXI in with the ps2 FF's because 1) It exists in a class all its own, and 2) it is played on multiple platforms. Hopefully there will be more than just the various versions of FFXIII on ps3, maybe they'll even break the monotony of 3 games per system.

Roto13
12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Final Fantasies 1-6 are playable on multiple platforms. So are VII, VIII and maybe IX (I'm not sure) if you count the PC.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Even FFI was ported to the MSX.

manashima
12-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah hes right, FFIII is the best on Nes, FFVI is the best on the SNES(though barely) FFIX is the best on PSX, and FFXII towers over the rest on the PS2.

Mercen-X
12-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Holy , man! I was thinking maybe I'd get one or two responses telling me that my thread was a useless waste of space before a mod or CK closed/deleted it or moved it to General FF. I'm delightfully surprised.
Yeah he's right, FFIII is the best on NES, FFVI is the best on the SNES(though barely), FFIX is the best on PS, and FFXII towers over the rest on the PS2.I've never played FFIII, so I can't really say anything about it. I'm planning to buy a DS just so I can own and play FFIII, but it's been revamped, so my opinion of it still wouldn't count toward these arguments.

VI and IV can be argued a little... but not much from my perspective.
And IX seems to increase its lead over VII day by day in my mind.

As for I, II, III, I only really have experience with I at the moment.

And no matter what we say or do.. the majority of people will like FFVII and FFX the most.... although I can not see why. I'd rather have XII and IX.1: I believe FFIX's purpose of touching base with the series' roots has the effect of making it seem better. As much as I like Kuja, the Trance state, and Garland's Invincible . . . Seph, Vincent, and the ability (though limited) to ride a motorcycle make me love VII that much more.
2: I own Origins, so I am able to say that I don't really have much favor toward I and II.
3: I like VII, but not really X, other than having Auron in the party.

I played FF6 and FF5 before FF7. I still don't like FF9 better than it.I only played a bit of FFIV before FFVII. When I played VII, I didn't even remember what Final Fantasy was. VII got me hooked on the series.

You would probably count XIII as just one. Since X-2 wasn't counted this time around.You would be right, at least from my POV. Like X-2, I've logged titles like Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Versus XIII, and Azulo (forget the word) XIII as the same based on the numerals in the name. Final Fantasy: Master's Quest, Tactics (Advanced), and Crystal Chronicles have no numerals and therefore, are not included in my count.

With all this compilation focus, I don't know if they will make it to XIV and XV or not, especially with development costs going up and such. We'll probably be stuck in the XIII world for many years to come."O, ye of little faith." [I]I'm expecting to see XIV in 9 or fewer years. :)

You're just realizing this now? Also notice that the last game on each console is the best one. This is not opinion. This is fact.VI and XII, maybe.

Wolf Kanno
12-03-2006, 10:15 AM
No, Roto13 is really speaking the truth. I have yet to play FFIII (stupid SE, releasing it on a platform I don't own:mad: ) but everything else he says speaks the truth.

Now I can see FFVII's appeal but it's shoddy writing and plot holes really hindered it. FFX, I will never understand. It has a bad plot, a worthless cast, a decent soundtrack with three memorable tracks, a pointless plot twist, and the game held your hand through the whole thing. It wasn't a game, it was a boring movie with an explosion or two every few hours to make sure you were awake. The game is so in love with itself, it's pathetic.

But that's just my opinion, so you are free to ignore me...

RiseToFall
12-03-2006, 09:41 PM
No, Roto13 is really speaking the truth. I have yet to play FFIII (stupid SE, releasing it on a platform I don't own:mad: ) but everything else he says speaks the truth.

No, that's called an opinion.

Roto13
12-04-2006, 12:10 AM
No, it's the truth. If you disagree with anything I've said, you're wrong.

LunarWeaver
12-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Don't worry Mr. Rise, we're wrong together. We'll TP roto's house later to make ourselves feel better.

Wolf Kanno
12-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Seriously though, if you think about it. The games always follow a certain pattern. The first game is ground breaking and draws attention to the series. The second game is always received with mix feeling's (usually bad) and the third game is usually regarded as the best for the system. If you think about the pattern in relation to every generation of FF's, it's pretty accurate.

Flying Mullet
12-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Seriously though, if you think about it. The games always follow a certain pattern. The first game is ground breaking and draws attention to the series. The second game is always received with mix feeling's (usually bad) and the third game is usually regarded as the best for the system. If you think about the pattern in relation to every generation of FF's, it's pretty accurate.
I don't think that's a fair analysis of the series outside of Japan as the games were released out of order. If you played them in order when they came out, I imagine many people would like some of the "middle" games. But because they were released outside of Japan out of order, people's perceptions of the games are skewed, i.e. FFV was released outside of Japan after people had played FFVI - FFVIII, thus making it look somewhat antiquated.

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2006, 06:54 AM
That's true, so my theory works in the U.S. market only:D . I don't know how Japan felt about the earlier games, I have heard that FFVIII didn't go over so well in Japan. I know FFXII has had some mixed reactions as well.

Moon Rabbits
12-10-2006, 07:48 AM

I played FFVII before IX, and liked IX better. Although I did like VIII better than both.

Don't worry Mr. Rise, we're wrong together. We'll TP roto's house later to make ourselves feel better.

Can I come? :bigsmile:

Vivisteiner
12-11-2006, 11:00 PM
lol. Roto13, you joka.
(After reading page 1- Hilarious)

And Im gonna agree that IX is best. Fact. Not opinion. Fact.

lol.

Timerk
12-11-2006, 11:10 PM
FFX>FFXII.

X has its flaws, but it is better than the killing slog XII turns into.

LazarCotoron
12-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Nope, Roto13's right on this one. X doesn't have flaws-it's entire story depends on someone who really has no business being an adventurer, traveling with adventurers, or even having an adventure that's more complex than getting her outfit on in the morning.

Lawr
12-18-2006, 09:13 PM
FFIV > FFVI

Everything is in order:)

Roto13
12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
FFIV > FFVI

Everything is in order:)

VI is greater than life itself, therefor anything > VI is wrong by default.

Lawr
12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Lol

Flying Mullet
12-18-2006, 09:27 PM
When something rings so true you just have to quote it. :mog:

Vivisteiner
12-18-2006, 10:36 PM
lol.

But life = crap

So the actual equation is:

IX > VI > life

Flying Mullet
12-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Due to the Law of Awesomeness that is FFVI

... therefor anything > VI is wrong by default.
The following statement is incorrect.

IX > VI

LazarCotoron
12-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Focus people, focus! This thread is about how III, VI, IX, and XII whip the crap out of the entire series as a whole!... and to a lesser extent how we all will have to wait until FFXV to buy a PS3.

Flying Mullet
12-19-2006, 12:08 AM
and to a lesser extent how we all will have to wait until FFXV to buy a PS3.
At least the PS3 will be cheaper then. :)

Roto13
12-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Only $350! :D

LazarCotoron
12-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Only $350! :D

Exactly! Ph3a® t3h |_og1c!

tidus_rox
12-28-2006, 07:47 PM

No, you're wrong. No need to explain why, you just are.

Yeah, I have got to say... X is better than XII..... *Braces himself for another come back that doesn't explain any thing in his defence.*

Wolf Kanno
12-29-2006, 12:16 AM
XII is a fun and wonderful game, X is a poorly written interactive movie. Since we are discussing the best FF games X is automatically disqualified cause it feels it bad cast of dumbass' are more important than the player actually playing the game. Besides, Ashe is a far better female lead than Yuna will ever be. This is fact.;)

Aurons_Desciple
12-29-2006, 12:26 AM
^^Some would disagree, including myself. I don't think it's the greatest but it shouldn't be disqualified :D

Ashley Schovitz
12-29-2006, 12:34 AM
So i guess XV will be the last huh?

Timerk
12-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Besides, Ashe is a far better female lead than Yuna will ever be. This is fact.;)

She was the stuck up girl who always had a 'somebody just farted' look on her face, right?

She was rad.

:lol:

Wolf Kanno
12-29-2006, 12:53 AM
I'll take the gross out look over Yuna's blank souless stare. I thought Yuna was a card board cut out until she spoke, and proved to me she might as well have been one... ;)

Ashley Schovitz
12-29-2006, 03:14 AM
You're not a diehard FF fan if you don't like Yuina that's like saying you don't like Rosa!

Roto13
12-29-2006, 06:22 AM
^^Some would disagree,

Those some are clueless

including myself.

:O

Aurons_Desciple
12-29-2006, 07:18 AM
^^Touche :p

Wolf Kanno
12-29-2006, 07:29 AM
You're not a diehard FF fan if you don't like Yuina that's like saying you don't like Rosa!

If the requirement for being a die hard fan is to like a poorly written, weak minded, whiny, can't make a decision for myself, empty void of a character, then count me out ;)

I feel the same about Rosa as well but at least she has the excuse of being from the older games before we had expectations of characters and story. (Though FFIV blows FFX out of the water in my book as well)

Vivisteiner
12-29-2006, 04:02 PM
I thought FFX was an amazing game.

If the requirement for being a die hard fan is to like a poorly written, weak minded, whiny, can't make a decision for myself, empty void of a character, then count me out
FFX Yeah. And thats why she decided to self-sacrifice herself, going against Lulu and Wakka's pleadings. She travelled all across Spira with that in her head, keeping it to herself for so much of the time. Obviously I disagree.

Roto13
12-29-2006, 09:07 PM
She did all that because of her dad. Puhleeze. Ashe wins.

Aurons_Desciple
12-29-2006, 09:12 PM
I agree with vivisteiner, wouldn't you be depressed to if you knew that you and a friend would die at the end of your journey

Roto13
12-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Not if my friend was Tidus.

aquatius
12-30-2006, 04:55 PM
No one cares about Europe though.
:mad2: