PDA

View Full Version : Bad Christmas presents!

Jowy
11-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Ender's post in the "worst game ever" topic in General Gaming just rekindled a repressed memory of one disappointing Christmas. I really wanted Chrono Trigger when I was nine years old. I put it at the top of my Christmas list and dropped hints pretty much every day. Going through everything on Christmas morning, I found a present shaped like an SNES game box and I began to get excited! Could this be it! I tore off the wrapping paper like a madman only to discover that it contained..."Home Improvement" for SNES. I died a little on the inside, decided to try it out anyway, shot a nailgun at some dinosaurs (seriously) as a horribly pixelized Tim Allen, and then shelved it until FuncoLand opened up a few years later and I got $3 in store credit for it. I eventually did get Chrono Trigger five years later for $15 damn dollars, I might add, but I had to leap through flaming hoops to get it.

What was the most disappointing gift you've ever recieved?

Jess
11-30-2006, 03:36 PM
I've never had a disappointing gift before! :jess:

One doesn't spring to mind, anyway.

Martyr
11-30-2006, 03:41 PM
My sister made me wait until the very last present, saying that she had an awesome gift, and wanted me to open it last. i was really excited, and I waited until the end, and I opened the present and it was an empty box. It made me sad too, because I had actually gotten her a present.

Also, once my aunt sent me a box of, like 500 colored pencils. I hate colored pencils. I've only used them for 10th grade art class. never before, never again!

Samuraid
11-30-2006, 09:10 PM
I cannot think of any at the moment. Everthing I may have been disappointed about at the time has turned out to be useful at a later date.

Ender
11-30-2006, 09:21 PM
So many...

Bad presents are the reason I figured out the true identity of Santa Clause...he would know what I wanted.

The Home Alone 2 for SNES I mentioned in the worst game thread was from one of my aunts.

I've received countless T-shirts from my dad's mom from Kohl's with stupid sayings on them like "You wanna piece of this? No, you don't." I still get these in fact. I'm far too old to be getting kiddie presents, and despite telling my grandma not to get me anything for Christmas, or if she insists, to just send me some gift-certifcates to whatever, she stills gets me these T-shirts. :rolleyes2

The most disappointing gifts I ever got though...

I asked for a model/remote control airplane kit when I was maybe ten or eleven. My grandfather built and flew them all the time, and I wanted to get into the hobby myself. Instead I ended up with one of those airplanes that are attached to a wire that you spin around your head while pressing a button to make the propellar spin. That same year I had asked for a telescope (I wanted a real telescope) since I had an interest in astronomy. I ended up with some dinky plastic Fisher Price telescope. Those two gifts traumatized me so much that I still get upset thinking about them.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-30-2006, 09:26 PM
When I got a Sega Genesis instead of an SNES like I asked I was a bit dissapointed. It turned out to be a good console anyway, and it was my first ever. I got an SNES a couple of years ago secondhand, and I prefer it to the Genesis, but I still have more games for the Genesis because I've had it much longer.

Luara
11-30-2006, 09:30 PM
when I got under pans... I always get them , KILL THEM

Laddy
11-30-2006, 09:31 PM
One day, one Christmas...

I was thirteen, I wanted FF9 SO badly. It came out last month WOOHOO! Anyway, I saw a box, it looked like a PS1 disc, I opened it, and I got...... "Tom Petty Greatest Hits!" I wanted to kill my then 10 at the time sister.

KentaRawr!
11-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I'd love to say underwear, but they became so common that they hardly disappoint. In fact, I was rather glad when I got boxer briefs last year. So I suppose my worst gift ever would be my Pokemon sleeping bag, because my little brother stole it.

sephirothishere
11-30-2006, 09:33 PM
im a nice guy...so im always greatful...but one time...this chick id been goin out with for like the 2 weeks before christmas jus for someone to go to parties with...and she was a babe..but you know sephirothishere isnt shallow... :shifty:
but yeh..she got me this promise bracelet thing..it wasnt that it looked girly...but..it was pissin me off...she knows what kinda guy i am...this was like she wanted me to marry her or somehtin...it freaked me out...

Shiny
11-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Gift cards make pretty bad presents. Especially since they lack imagination and most people buy gift cards from places that I never shop at. Also, the time when my parents decided to buy me the Spice Girls game; which was terrible. We took it back the next day, but atleast they tried with that one.

black orb
11-30-2006, 09:37 PM
>>> Jewelry, i think its pretty useless..

Underwear is always welcome because I dont buy underwear..

Chloe.
11-30-2006, 09:47 PM
I would say a pair of socks, but I got this really cool pair one year, they were long and stripey. :bigsmile:

So I think a bad present I have had was this really ugly pair of gloves and a matching scarf and hat. :(

Rye
11-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Um... my aunt on a side of the family that we are in a big fight with and do not talk to got me this half-broken crappy board game for Christmas. She always got me very cheap board games.

LunarWeaver
11-30-2006, 10:00 PM
My mom went one Christmas where she decided she would buy my brother and myself nothing but non-'entertainment' related things. Since I'm an uber-nerd and only care about movies and games and books and the like, I was kinda disappointed when I was getting puzzles and an astromony thing and clothes. The worst part is they're gifts, so you have to pretend they're all cool no matter how bad they are.

Oh, and when I was 16 my dad bought me a Dragon Ball Z t-shirt and I about died from choking on my own vomit.

Miriel
11-30-2006, 10:24 PM
The worst present I ever got, I don't even know what the hell it was. It was like this weird purse-like thing (but it wasn't actually a purse) that was made out of felt paper. With designs of hearts and stuff on it. And I recieved this "gift" when I was like, 18 years old. I didn't know wtf I was supposed to do with it so I threw it away. I had no idea what it's function was, I have no idea why my Aunt thought it would appeal to me. And it frustrated me because that year, I had babysat my Aunt's children for free countless times. Literally, I was picking them up from school and tutoring them and entertaining them afterschool for like 2 months straight. So it pissed me off that my present that year was this weird thing that my Aunt must have picked up at the 99 cent store when for my brother (who hasn't done anything for my cousins but make them cry) was given a lovely stripped scarf and beanie set from The Gap.

Seriously, wtf?

I was really pissed off with that. I would have considered no gift better than a gift that was so thoroughly thoughtless that it was insulting.

The New Kid
11-30-2006, 10:31 PM
I think I've had generally good presents, considering I always tell my family what I want straight up, and they do the same with me. I just tell my friends to get me gift cards because I don't consider them a bad present at all.

The closest thing would have to be one christmas where I opened up a assortment of PlayStation 2 paraphenalia (controllers, memory card, games), but I didn't open the actual PS2 until last. That would've been a kick in the teeth had I gotten every accessory for the PS2 but the PS2 itself.

:moomba:

Meat Puppet
11-30-2006, 10:48 PM
I hate getting video games for Christmas. I would rather get nothing. That way nobody gets upset.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized how bad that is.

Levian
11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
A statue of a troll. Who would think a 15 year old boy would be interested in that? I set his hair on fire and gave it to my dog (after putting the fire out, of course), which was kinda fun. It was from my aunt, though, so I didn't expect anything at all really. I never have high expectations so I'm never really disappointed. It would be much worse if my family was unable to get together on Christmas.

rubah
11-30-2006, 11:39 PM
The title of this thread makes me think of a production "Bad Christmas Presents: The Story of Santa"

also, clothes

Araciel
11-30-2006, 11:43 PM
clothes that don't fit...thanks grandma but i need an XLT this year

...just like last year...and the year before that...

Venom
11-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Clothes.:mad2:

Disco Potato
12-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Well, this technically wasn't a Christmas present, but when I was in 5th grade we had a Secret Santa thing, and one day my Secret Santa gave me a pencil o_O

As for actual Christmas presents, I have very...frugal...friends, and last Christmas one of them gave me a plain, black candleholder (with no candles), and another gave me a plain wooden picture frame. I mean, the thought was nice, and I didn't give them any presents (I don't celebrate Christmas, and I tend to forget about the gift-giving part of it -_-), but they made such a big deal out of the gifts when I have a strong feeling that the gifts were recycled :p

Shlup
12-01-2006, 01:41 AM
I can't think of one for Christmas, but here's one for my birthday.

Growing up, for everyone's birthday we'd always have a dinner at my Nana's house. One year my dad comes back from his "walk" with a bag from the Thirfty's across the street, containing a chess set from their toy aisle and a can of Silly String.

I was like "Hey, look, my dad is an inconsiderate testicle."

dodhungry
12-01-2006, 04:46 AM
I got weights once. That was so pointless. I was 13 at the time. Oh and those old gigapets or whatever those were.

Shlup
12-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Oo, I just remembered!

One year my great aunt made me a blue super fuzzy tissue box cover with a baby doll face on it. WTF is that? I was like seven.

But now that I'm older I totally wish I still had it. xD

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-01-2006, 04:51 AM
For Christmas I get clothes from my parents then one or two things not clothes, lately it has been books. I seriously need to give my mom a list of books that I want. It is kinda hard to buy me things, but Santa usually gets me a video game or something.

I in particular do not care if I get clothes or not. In the end it is the thought that counts. It doesn't matter what I get, it is the fact that you thought. So yeah, in the end I cannot really get disappointed.

I hate it when I know everything I am getting though. -__-;

KentaRawr!
12-01-2006, 10:05 AM
I can't think of one for Christmas, but here's one for my birthday.

Growing up, for everyone's birthday we'd always have a dinner at my Nana's house. One year my dad comes back from his "walk" with a bag from the Thirfty's across the street, containing a chess set from their toy aisle and a can of Silly String.

I was like "Hey, look, my dad is an amazing guy for getting me a chess set."

Chess sets are not to be taken for granted. It can be quite a fun game. I hope you didn't throw that away. >_>

As to stay on topic, one year of Christmas I recieved tic-tacs. It was a stocking stuffer, yes, but a candy besides tic-tacs would seem less insulting.

Polnareff
12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
My worst presents have always been Sonic the Hedgehog games. :p Before I get people going off on me, let me explain.

You see, everytime I've asked for a Sonic game for Christmas, my mom goes out and buys the game. But, my dad, being the forgetful guy he is sometimes, goes out and buys the same exact one. Then, come Christmas, I have two copies of the same Sonic game I asked for. When I try to sell one off, I get very little trade value for it.

This has happened to me the last few times I've gotten a Sonic game for Christmas. First time it happened was when I got Sonic Adventure. I like to call it the "Sonic Curse." :(

Clothes are also a pretty boring present to get, as I buy new clothes every few months.

Shaun
12-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I used to hate it when my relatives got my chavvy deodorants or clothing and I used to think: "Urgh, when will you get it through your thick skulls that I'll never use that stuff!?"

The clothes ended up staying in my cupboard for years. Sure, like most guys I use deodorant. I just don't use certain brands which I hate.

Zante
12-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I always get tons of clothes, shampoos, parfumes and other stuff I don't care about. But as I also get all the things I do want, I don't realy mind.