PDA

View Full Version : Your first encounter with Final Fantasy

Diango12
11-30-2006, 06:00 PM
What brought you into the wonderful world of Final Fantasy?

For me I was a late recruit, I had in my hands my first Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Tactics in 1998. A friend reffered it to me and said it was a great game check it out. It was great I was well immerssed in the story and enjoyed every single part of it. The ending did it for me it was bitter sweet but felt good to finally finish it. After that it would be Final Fantasy throught out the way. After getting FF10 that sealed the deal for me. It would be later that I play ff6,ff9,ff7, and ff1. Still on my list: Every other FF game.

Tell us your first experiance.

Sefie1999AD
11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
An old friend of mine told me to try out FFVII and he installed it on my computer. I was like, "You can't be serious? Is the whole game like this, having super-deformed cartoon characters?" He said that's the way it is. :D Since that was my first RPG, my first time through the game didn't go all that well, but I eventually beat it. However, I played FFVII again later, and that's when it turned out to be one of my favorite games.

Misfit
11-30-2006, 06:11 PM
My mom played the oldskool Super Nintendo Final Fantasies and got me into it. :] :]

Avarice-ness
11-30-2006, 06:12 PM
My sister borrowed FFI from my uncle back when I was 5 and I had watched her play it alot, then when FFVI came out as 3 on the SNES my parents bought it for me for my 9th birthday, then when I was ten I went to sea camp (a camp at the ocean basically) with my best friend and we stayed at her uncles who had FFIV when it was 2 on the SNES, I ended up falling out of the canoe and getting an ear infection, which caused me to play FFIV/2 the entire time.

Saddly, when we moved my FF3 cartridge disappeared and I have yet to find it, so then I was on a long FF haitus until I got FFVII when it came out when I was 12, then I just kind of went them as they went.

And now I feel really old, 'cause I'm 21. :razz:

LunarWeaver
11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
I played VI, or III at the time for us in America, on a friend's SNES, but the first time I truly played it was when I got a playstation and VII back when I was 11. I was hooked after that and I bought VIII, IX, X (even X-2), and XII as soon as they came out and eventually made time for the oldies and Tactics along the way. Sadly, I still laugh at how ginormous Tifa's breasts are when I play VII in present times, so I have not matured very much since then.

Diango12
11-30-2006, 06:20 PM
My mom played the oldskool Super Nintendo Final Fantasies and got me into it. :] :]

You have a cool mom :thumb:

I still laugh at how ginormous Tifa's breasts are when I play VII in present times, so I have not matured very much since then.

Haha, no one blames you I would love to hook on Tifa meow :moomba:

Levian
11-30-2006, 06:27 PM
I got FF7 when it was released, and that was the first Final Fantasy released in Europe, so I was an early recruit. I didn't know how to climb ladders, so I forgot it for a while actually. :p I barely understood English at all back then.

YTDN
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I saw an ad for X-2 in a teen girls magazine, bought it, my sister beat it, then she found out her friend had FFX, and we were hooked.

BarelySeeAtAll
11-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Sephiroth, hehehaha

Martyr
11-30-2006, 09:22 PM
I had a random encounter with some little Mexican kid who was like, "Yo, let's go to my joint and play video games!"

The moment that cover caught my eye- that rugged, yet shiny axe and sword crossed over the odd looking world and that cloudy civilization... I had a shiver. It was like destiny. i was enraptured in that world. I saw it. i saw everything. it was an amazing moment of clarity.

Of course, I wanted to play that and not Double Dragon 2 (Though Double Dragon 2 is an excellent 2 player game). Well, my friend didn't care for it, so he gave it to me, and I played it, and, although it wasn't as magical of an experience to play as it was a sight to behold, I was immediately enraptured with the music, and the character selection seemed epic. The scene transitions impressed me, and the graphics were spectacular.

The first time I died, I was so caught up in the game, that I almost felt a physical impact and I fell over (I was sitting on the floor) when a giant smacked my BM with a critical, killing him.

Final Fantasy 1 was one of the most Fantastic experiences of my entire life.
It's the reason why I'm here.

Evastio
11-30-2006, 10:12 PM
FFII (for the SNES) was one of my first SNES games. I started playing it and that inspired me to see what the rest of the FFs were like.

Jowy
11-30-2006, 10:22 PM
My mom rented me FFIV because they didn't have anything else at the video store except for NBA Jam. It was awesome.

ValiantKnight
12-01-2006, 12:09 AM
I'll probably be stoned to death, but my first RPG that I can remember, unless you count Legend of Zelda as an RPG, which I would call it more of adventure.... was Super Mario RPG... around late 1997 or so.

After that I came to buy FFVIII, about a month after its release.
My first Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy VII came after. Then Anthology(VI and V) or maybe IX... Then after those two, Tactics.
After tactics came Origins(I and II), then IV. And lastly X

VIII, VII, VI+V or IX, Tactics, I + II, IV, X

Sadly... my mom wishes to buy me a "real" christmas gift this year, and has already bought III and XII, so I can't really go buy them now and have to wait in anguish and torment.... :(

II is unplayed mostly and unbeaten. So is V. VI was nearly beaten then erased from memory card somehow... and I can't simply stand the load times sadly... but i'm trying to get a yearning to play it again, but with XII and III in 4 weeks.. well...
The rest are played and beaten, quite a few times.

II and V just started slow and I gave up on them to go back later and play... VI had horrible delay on controls or something....

Meat Puppet
12-01-2006, 12:13 AM
I asked my dad to get me Cool Boarders 2, but he got me Final Fantasy VII instead. I guess it’s an honest mistake.

RiseToFall
12-01-2006, 02:33 AM
To kind of sum it up.

I was in the 6th grade and FF VII just came out. People at school were talking about it, some good hype, some bad. Anyway, a buddy of mine brought it over and started playing it. He barely understood what to do (first time we've played an RPG) but I figured it out pretty easily. So he handed me the controller and I just couldn't stop playing. It was the first time a video game truly immersed me in it's world.

The rest is history, since then, I've gotten several of my friends into FF, and all still love it till this day.

Zeromus_X
12-01-2006, 02:41 AM
I first played Final Fantasy IV when I was a child. I don't know why exactly I seemed to like it so much, it was the very first 'game with numbers' I had ever played. It must've been the story, or the boss theme, or maybe even that good fellow Zeromus, but ever since then I was hooked. I played Final Fantasy VI as well, and it also held a place to my heart, which is currently aching with unbearable nostalgia.

Anyway, I continued on to play more and more RPGs as I grew up, and that's how we've gotten here today. :cat: I unfortunately didn't have a chance to play the PlayStation Final Fantasies until much later, and although I have no nostalgia factor with them, they are still enjoyable.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-01-2006, 02:42 AM
Final Fantasy killed my parents.

dodhungry
12-01-2006, 04:05 AM
ah...The first time I ran into Final Fantasy

I went over to my friends house and when he opened the door the first thing he said was "Hurry up, my chocobo is getting beat up by a goblin."
So we went up to his room and I watched Final Fantasy Tactics. I was hooked instantly just by watching.

but at that time FFT was hard to find the only place you could get it was the rental store. So my first Final Fantasy that I bought was 8. Then came 7,9,10,10-2, and now all the new releases of the previous games.

Lynx
12-01-2006, 05:46 AM
mine was watching my cousin play final fantasy mystic quest. but then later that day watching him play final fantasy III for SNES (FFVI). i watched for awhile then wanted to play so i started my own file spent hours pointlessly leveling up when i didnt need to got to the world of ruin with nearly 3000 hp which is quite high just arriveing to the world of ruin. then shortly after the game erased :(

Martyr
12-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Final Fantasy killed my parents.

Then I guess next time you'll level up more.

Yuffie514
12-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Final Fantasy VII. to paraphrase the story, this is how it goes:

the year would most likely be 1997, and it was probably the last days of glory for the Super Nintendo, but upon my brother/cousin's completion of Zelda: A Link To The Past, my brother had soon borrowed something from a friend. and along came the PlayStation, Final Fantasy VII, and a new era of gaming.

Wolf Kanno
12-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I was in seventh grade and happy to be playing my Street Fighter II Turbo for my SNES. I had a friend who always raved about Fianl Fantasy but I never felt like RPG's were my thing. So he introduced my to Seiken Denetsu II (Secret of Mana) and I got hooked. The story was amazing and what ultimately won me over.

So I decided to give FF a try. My friend gave me FFIII (FFVI) cause it seemes the most interesting to me from his description. I didn't like it at first and gave up in frustration after the first battle... But I came back to it cause the premise was so intriguing. I figured it out and began to have a wonderful time until I got to the opera scene. I don't know what it was, but that scene is so magical to me. I realized then that I was no longer just playing a "game". I continued until I got to the Phoenix Cave and I ran into the infamous glitch in the game. My friends files were erased and I panicked. I returned it to him and he wasn't too happy.

Forlorn, cause I was seperated from my love. I wondered into a used game store and before me laid FFII (FFIV). I purchased it and gleefully brought it home. I experienced many more magical moments with that game, and finished it with a grand sense of accomplishment. I could honestly say I was hooked on the series. A few months later, I found a copy of FFIII (FFVI) and started a new game. At long last I finally finished the game that brought me to the series. ;)

I've played every game in the series except for FFIII (I need a DS) and FFXI (Never liked MMO's but I'm starting to reconsider...).

NeoCracker
12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
That is singly one of the coolest things I've heard a parent do.

FFIV Got me hooked, I couldn't get enough of that Rydia.

I still can't get enough of her, but for different reasons, *Cough*Shadssig*Cough*

opiumcloud
12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
I played and beat FF1 back in 1990 when it came out in the US. My elementary school was a virtual NES society; everybody in the school had an NES, and traded games back and forth on a daily basis, so everybody got to play everything. When Super Mario Bros. 3 came out, there was one girl in school who managed to get a copy on release day, and then all of the stores in town were sold out for months. There were all sorts of contests and competitions held to get on her waiting list of people who could borrow it for 1 night.

Getting back to FF, well, I played every FF game in the order they were released in the US. FF1 first, then 4, 6, 7, Tactics, 8, 5, 9, 2, 10, X-2, and 12 (a little bit of 11, but not much). The first three games I played merely because I would play everything that came out, but after playing FF6 through several times on the SNES, I was hooked.

Heero Yuy NWZC
12-01-2006, 04:45 PM
it all started at my friend's house when I wa sin third grade. We were playing video games for a while and then he takes out this game that I've never heard of. It was final fantasy VIII. I watched him play and it was so awesome. It was the first RPG I've ever seen. He also had FFVII, but I never really played them. I was more into watching. Then for one christmas, I had gotten FInal Fantasy IX. I was really excited and began playing it. After that, I was able to play the rest and I was hooked. Final Fantasy is the best agme series ever.

Elpizo
12-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Strangely enough, my experience with FF only really started one year and a few months ago with the ROM of FF II US and last year with FF DoS

I heard from FF first when I was 12 and a friend of me said he bought FF X and rambled all over it saying how cool it was and stuff.

I was pretty interested, it sounded so 'magical' which has always be my type of thing. But unfortunatly, I wasn't allowed a playstation (Heck, I only got a GBA when I was 12 <_< ) so I only saw FF a few times when I went to that friend, I foudn it pretty. 3D that day amazed me and I was SO jealosu of him. :p

Before even my friend and my jealousy (don't worry, we're still best friends!), I had downloaded a few SNES and NES ROMs, A few which happened to be FF II (NES), III (NES) V (translated) and FF VI (SNES USA). I didn't know they were FF then. I liked them but I just played them once the day I downloaded them and forgot about them.

Then I came acros a faceportrait of Child Ryia (US FF II). It was weird, but I got the overwhelming sudden urge to go and play that game. The Mist Dragon sprite looekd cool to me, too. So I downloaded the US FF II ROM and started playing and yes, I was hooked yet again. When I finished the game Zeromus was my god, I loved that Final Boss so much! And I really found myself wishing IV woudl coem to the GBA, I loved it so much. Weird, but a few months later (I had bought DoS by then) I heard FF IV was coming to the GBA! Talk about luck.

Last year I bought a DS and with it I bought FF I and II DoS (Yay! FINALLY I had FF too!). Go ahead and laugh, but it had since I played Golden Sun that a game got me so hooked as FF I. I loved it. I really had fun with it. The Final Boss amazed me. Really.

FF II was a bit less cool for me, but I still enjoyed it. I found the story very good. But the gameplay was quiet boring for me. Luckily, Pandaemonium came in and saved the day. But I loathed the Final Boss. I hated that he was so 'impossible' without bloodswords. But SoR kricked my love of the game back up.

After that I really wished to finish the VI ROM I had, got hooked and loved Kefka. Then V came along and I found it even better. Now I was stuck, no Playstation, no way to continue playing! Until ePSXe 1.5.2 came along and emulation opened a way to IX, VII and VIII (played them like that). And all tehse FF games I played and finished in about 1 year!

Now I'm waiting for PS3 so I can get started on X, X-2, XII and later XIII and vsXIII.

Off-Topic: Ohw! I told my entire FF story and not my beginnings. XD Sorry.

Larahl
12-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I rented FFVI for the PlayStation, and got hooked.

Cezanzo
12-01-2006, 11:17 PM
My Grandparents and my aunt played the FF games and got my brother hooked. When I was really young, I would sometimes see my brother play VII in the basement (the Playstation 2 was hooked up down there) and I would watch him. He played the ending :p for me and my sister and we were just like :eek:. Then he gave VIII (pc version) to us and we were hooked (even though he played the ending for us again berfore we started the game because we were cheaters! :tongue:). My sister bought IV, and I bought IX. Now I'm absolutly hooked on FF!

This is so off topic but, now my grandpa wants a Playstaition3 for christmas so he can play more Zelda and Final Fantasy! :exdee: :lol:

ShivaBlizzard8
12-01-2006, 11:23 PM
I wasn't even allowed to have a game system growing up, but my brother suckered my parents into getting him a PSX for Christmas in 1997, and the guy at the store said FF7 was the hot game, so he got that too.

I'd heard about it and it looked cool, but I struggled to play it -- I had never played an RPG before, let alone an FF, and had no idea what was going on. I remember throwing Phoenix Downs at random alive characters and wondering why they didn't do anything! We ended up quitting somewhere around Cosmo Canyon because our characters were so weak and miserable that we couldn't survive random encounters.

We didn't give up on FF though. We got FF8 when it came out, and the second time around proved much easier, now that we were familiar with the basics (potions = heal! fighting on purpose to level up = good!) and took the time to understand the junction system, and so we managed to finish the game, and enjoy the gameplay. We've been hooked ever since, and gone back and played many of the older FFs.

And yes, I went back and did 7 over. Much more fun the 2nd time. And pretty easy, actually. :)

Nerevarine
12-02-2006, 01:37 AM
I had owned ff1 when i was young and i had seen my uncle play 4 (at that time 2). i Had played these both but never got into it.

Then i got a playstation and had 7. I beat it and then 8 came out and i loved bith these games. I had to go back and play them all and here i am with a beaten file of 1,4,6,7,8,9 & 10 and workin on files for 5.
this series kicks ass

Timerk
12-04-2006, 05:06 PM
I bought FFX when I just started working (by that point, FFX was a Greatest Hits title and cost like 12 dollars at Target), and I wasted a couple weekends on it. That lead me to check out the FF online community, and got me interested in playing the older games as well. So far, I have played through most of the games, though I still have a couple waiting for me on my shelf.

I imagine I would have started with FFVII, but I had a N64 instead of a PS1, so it was Zelda: OOT for me.

Actually, it was Zelda: LTTP that got me interested in rpg-ing to begin with, but that is another story.

zebaroth
12-07-2006, 08:27 AM
For me it was final fantasy III(VI) snes that a frined of my mother's
loned me that eventury bouht from her

GenjiEnkil
12-08-2006, 12:41 AM
My first one was VII when it first came out. My cousin had it and I saw the part with the Midgar Zolem and I thought it was amazing, so I went out and bought it. Now I have nearly all of the FF's (still need III and X-XII). Also I just recently got my girlfriend into FF, she watched AC and fell in love with it and now shes playing III.

Odin2006
12-08-2006, 02:50 AM
I played FF1 at a friend's house when I was 7 (this was in 1993), I was hooked on the series ever since.

Tavrobel
12-08-2006, 02:55 AM
A FFVIII demo that I happened to come upon when looking around my cousin's house for something to do.

I have yet to finish the real game.

Bunny
12-08-2006, 03:05 AM
I used to watch my step-father play Final Fantasy I. He didn't let me play it so I just watched him for hours on end, completely taken by the entire time. Years later I picked up Final Fantasy IV for the SNES and was hooked.

Now? Not so much.

The Unknown Guru
12-13-2006, 03:29 AM
The music. I heard some of FFVI and Chrono Trigger's music, and thought, "I really need to play some old-school RPGs."
So I did.