PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy: The Theme

Laddy
12-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Ok, since FF6 every FF excpet 11 had a theme, and I think they are very good and support the games well. Many themes could still be used, like Passion, Good And Evil, Power, Freindship, Sorrow, etc. Now, here they are!

FF6-War
FF7-Life
FF8-Love
FF9-No Clue!
FF10-Faith
FF12-Freedom

If you know FF9's theme tell me.

NeoCracker
12-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Being a Tribute to earlier games, if the earlier games had a theme IX likely encomosed all the themes. Which it seems to do quite well.

Laddy
12-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Being a Tribute to earlier games, if the earlier games had a theme IX likely encomosed all the themes. Which it seems to do quite well. Yeah, I see your point. So, I guess FF9 has a mix of past themes.

Vivisteiner
12-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Maybe its theme is 'Nostalgia'

Laddy
12-02-2006, 05:34 PM
I dunno... maybe...

Miriel
12-02-2006, 06:17 PM
FFXI does have a theme. I don't know why you assume otherwise.

Goldenboko
12-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Because you have to get to level 193850437564 to be able to get that far

Laddy
12-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm talking about IX! Not XI!

Griff
12-02-2006, 07:33 PM
I fail to see how VII's theme is life. Maybe obsessive-compulsiveness

Zeromus_X
12-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Why don't you think the earlier FFs have a theme?

FFI, III, and V all have a theme of balance, between the crystals which may or may not involve a void of some sort. FFIV's theme is redemption. FFII's theme is freedom. FFIX's theme was memories, and life.

LunarWeaver
12-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I always slapped a "memories" on IX myself. Secretly, the theme of IX is Quina though.

NINJA_Ryu
12-02-2006, 08:49 PM

FFI, III, and V all have a theme of balance, between the crystals which may or may not involve a void of some sort. FFIV's theme is redemption. FFII's theme is freedom. FFIX's theme was memories, and life.

add betrayal to IV, and we have a winna!

but all in all, couldnt have said it any better myself

manashima
12-02-2006, 09:07 PM
FFII- Freedom
FFIV- Change
FFV- History
FFVI- War
FFVII- Hippie stuff(technology overtaking nature):D
FFVIII- Love
FFIX- Life
FFX- Tradition
FFXII- Politics(much deeper than that though):cool:

Thinking FFIII has something to do with Equality (Between Doga, Une, and Zande)

Laddy
12-02-2006, 09:29 PM
FF2-Power
FF4-Change
FF6-War
FFVII-Life
FFVIII-Love
FFIX-Memory
FFX-Faith
FFXII-Freedom

I discovered those are the officila themes! :D

The Crystal
12-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I always slapped a "memories" on IX myself.

Yeah, and the final dungeon is a very big clue about it.

manashima
12-02-2006, 09:41 PM
FFVII-Life:confused:

Explain please.

As I reckon the Theme is Painfully clear throughout the game, Shinra's Midgar being the best example of Technology taking over nature. The ending of Midgar getting destroyed and hundreds of years later nature started growing where Midgar once was should be seen as relevant.

Remember the whole planet is crying stuff? Bugenhagens whole planet thing? Thats definitely the theme, not Life. Life is FFIX, I mean Every character has a theme towards Life.

Sefie1999AD
12-02-2006, 10:03 PM
FFIII - Hope (it's not mentioned that much in the game, but it's there at times, and it's mentioned several times during the final dungeon and ending)

FFV - Friendship

FFVI - War

FFVII - Life, and finding yourself

FFVIII - Love

FFIX - Memories, and life

FFX - Adventure, religion, relationship to your parents (Tidus being bitter at Jecht, everyone having high expectations of Yuna because Braska was a Summoner etc)

FFX-2 - The choice about living like in the past or moving on

Laddy
12-02-2006, 11:56 PM
FF7 has themes of life because the Lifestream, and life is important because of Shinra's scuking of life, when someone dies, they are reborn, it mentions many times that FFVII's world is revolved around life. Many people had harsh times, but this helps them LIVE. Life also is also put into play when the world nearly ended, the Lifestream stops Meteor. It shows that the world can live, and that life is so valuable, people take it for granted. :D

Wolf Kanno
12-03-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm surprised that FFVI's theme is actually War, I always thought that it was Hope. Also, I thought FFX's theme was travel and journey

FFXI theme is companionsip if I remember correctly.

feioncastor
12-03-2006, 09:40 AM
FF1 - Restoration
FF2 - Resting (at Inns will vary in price)
FF3 - Revenge
FF4 - Reconciliation
FF6 - Renaissance
FF7 - Reunion!

Miriel
12-03-2006, 10:59 AM

Because you have to get to level 193850437564 to be able to get that far

That's not true either. :confused: The opening intro the game pretty much sets everything up. War, crystals, beastman invasions, alliances, etc. FFXI has the best intro of all the FF games in my opinion. And the actually storyline starts right off the bat when you first join the game and choose a nation to fight for.

If you want one word that captures what FFXI is all about I'd say "valor" would be a good one. The idea that you are playing as a brave and valiant hero comes up quite a bit. Fate of Vanadiel rests on you! sorta deal.

Firo Volondé
12-03-2006, 12:11 PM
FFXI has a theme, it's deception.
Buyers are deceived into thinking they're getting the new high-quality FF game, and find out it's online! :down:

Also, to continue on feioncastor's point:

FF8 - Relationships
FF9 - Reminiscence
FF10 - Religion
FF12 - Revolution (as far as I know)
FF13 - 2B Released soon on PS3!:D

Laddy
12-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Uh, blitz_king10, I believe those are the same as I posted.... oh well! :D
They do sound cooler. FF3 does seem to be hope, but I remebered. Square Enix always hyas a different theme in each game, so war is in five different games, according to many of you.

silentenigma
12-03-2006, 04:55 PM
come on, guys. Final Fantasy X's theme is SACRIFICE.

the characters' faith and religion both failed them in the end, so...

Laddy
12-03-2006, 06:34 PM
come on, guys. Final Fantasy X's theme is SACRIFICE.

the characters' faith and religion both failed them in the end, so...

Yeah, but the people were given a question: Even if it's what we must believe, does that make it the right thing to believe?

Every FF has a question like that which asks the question of the theme, and it shows this as FFX's answer: If you believe it to be true and right, do so. But, if you believe it is wrong, and if you are the only one to do so, do what you have faith in, see?

boys from the dwarf
12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
restoration is good for FF1 but this one also suits it.

FF1: adventure

true its all about restoring the crystal but the character dont talk or anything and its just play adventuring.

Lon611
12-03-2006, 07:52 PM
FFX : Death. :confused:
i always thought there was a heavy theme of that, what with Sin killing every1, the Final Summoning, the fayth are dead warriors, Sin can be revived, the maesters are all dead....etc. Auron refers to it as "the spiral of death"
i guess dreams could be a theme too...

Disco Potato
12-04-2006, 02:22 AM
FF6 - hope, and a general idea of "moving on" (esp. with Locke and Cyan). Maybe side themes of identity and love (Terra).
FF7 - accepting yourself (Cloud's identity issues), and the erosion and rebirth of life
FF8 - having connections with other people (Squall's friendships and relationship with Rinoa - Laguna's speech before Time Compression comes to mind)
FF10 - sacrifice, and hope as well
FF10-2 seemed to have a theme of moving on, but the Good and Perfect Endings make it useless -_-

As cliche as it sounds, I think courage is an overarching theme in all the games.

Just my opinions of course, and I tend to have unusual ones :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-04-2006, 02:45 AM
FFIII had a pretty significant focus on balance, stating that the forces of light and darkness had to be kept equal in order for the universe to not totally destroy itself. Which was a pretty interesting departure from the usual "light good, darkness bad" mentality that pervades other games.

Avarice-ness
12-04-2006, 03:24 AM
All of FFVI's characters had something about them they had to realize before the end of the game. So I'd say the theme wouldn't really be 'war' more so 'Fighting inner demons' or something to that extent. In the world of ruin you can't even get everyone back unless they fight their inner demons and before that they obviously have problems they need to overcome, more so in this game than any other.

Or maybe FFVI can be 'Finding inner self.'

Dell
12-04-2006, 05:19 AM

Laddy
12-04-2006, 01:03 PM
I personally every FF has inner demons, so inner demons is out.

Avarice-ness
12-04-2006, 04:44 PM

Yes, but FFVI is the only game where the only way the game can keep continuing at points is by almost literally fighting the inner demons. Other than Celes, Edgar and Setzer (who you forcivally have to get the demons out) all realize what they have and how to accept everything that has happened and what has to come. All the charas after that you have the choice to get, and each one you have to get them to overcome their issues before they'll re-join you. Even at the end before the fight of Kefka everyone has a little speech.

TERRA: I know what love is...!
LOCKE: And I have learned to celebrate life...and the living.
CYAN: My family lives on inside of me.
EDGAR: It is my dream to build a kingdom in which I can guarantee
freedom, and dignity.
SABIN: I have come to experience anew the love of my brother!
CELES: I've met someone who can accept me for what I am.
STRAGOS: I have a special little Granddaughter.
RELM: And I have a brave Grandpa who'll stand by me through it all.
SETZER: My friend's airship...and her love!
MOG: I have my friends here!
SHADOW: I know what friendship is...and family...
GAU: You my friends! Me uwaooo all of you!

That's how I get the overcoming innerdemons. Or if anything finding your own way.

Laddy
12-04-2006, 09:19 PM

Yes, but FFVI is the only game where the only way the game can keep continuing at points is by almost literally fighting the inner demons. Other than Celes, Edgar and Setzer (who you forcivally have to get the demons out) all realize what they have and how to accept everything that has happened and what has to come. All the charas after that you have the choice to get, and each one you have to get them to overcome their issues before they'll re-join you. Even at the end before the fight of Kefka everyone has a little speech.

TERRA: I know what love is...!
LOCKE: And I have learned to celebrate life...and the living.
CYAN: My family lives on inside of me.
EDGAR: It is my dream to build a kingdom in which I can guarantee
freedom, and dignity.
SABIN: I have come to experience anew the love of my brother!
CELES: I've met someone who can accept me for what I am.
STRAGOS: I have a special little Granddaughter.
RELM: And I have a brave Grandpa who'll stand by me through it all.
SETZER: My friend's airship...and her love!
MOG: I have my friends here!
SHADOW: I know what friendship is...and family...
GAU: You my friends! Me uwaooo all of you!

That's how I get the overcoming innerdemons. Or if anything finding your own way.

:cry: I remember that part, I see what you mean... SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf Kanno
12-05-2006, 08:21 AM
FFI - Destiny, the game is all about the legend of the light warriors and how the world was destined to begin declining. The truth also that the whole ordeal was prepared in a strange time paradox that keeps the world in thisa constant time loop.

FFII - War, the whole story revolves around the war with the empire. The plot even shows the effects of war on the characters friends, aquantences and even on normal townsfolk.

FFIII - Balance, haven't played but from what someone said earlier about it's story, it seemed to fit.

FFIV - Redemption, the plot revolves around the redemption of Cecil and later Kain for their crimes. Even Golbez tries to redeem himself. Only Zemus was unable to accept that his crimes were wrong, and for it, he was destroyed.

FFV - Inheritance, I was originally going with family but I realized that the them,e that kept coming back was the fact that everything happened as a result of the characters ancestors or parents. The crystals are destroyed cause man squandered their power, X-Death seeks revenge against humanity because of the Dawn Warriors inabilty to destroy him in the past, most of the characters parents die trying to make up for the mistakes yet in the end, it's the next generation that is left to fix the mistakes of their parents.

FFVI - Hope, the first half of the game revolves around Terra being symbol of hope. Her power gives hope to the Returners, and her ancestry gives hope in fixing the rift between human and espers. In the second half of the game, the world is practically lost and yet man still clings to life and hope. Each character has to find their reason to continue on (I know Kefka said joy in the end, but replacing the word with hope still gives off the same meaning). Even the ending leaves us uncertain, but their is still a few signs of hope.

FFVII - Life, the entire idea of the Lifestream and the role living beings play in the universe. Ultimately, FFVII shows that we should think of the universe as a living organism. But their are also themes of the preciousness of life and the moral application of choosing who deserves to live and die even though everything is ultimately equal and returns to the Lifestream just the same.

FFVIII - Love, the entire plot revolves around Squall learning to open up and love. To love himself, to love others, and to love someone he was willing to die for. Even Laguna's story revolves around the lengths he goes to in the name of love.

FFIX - Meaning of Life (Memory) Vivi's story revolves around the questions of "what is life and what is it's purpose?" Zidane also has a similiar story. Kuja even tries to destroy the universe cause he has no idea of what it means to really be alive and to accept your mortality. Each character represents a different path that people choose when finding the answers. Garnet cares for family, Steiner is about duty, Freya is about love, Quina is selfishness, Eiko is friendship, Amarant is about freedom. Vivi searches for his own meaning while Zidane has a meaning at first but revelations about his past upset the foundation of his beliefs and he is forced to reconsider what is important to him.

FFX - Journey, the plot is about a journey to an unknown land. But the story is about the journey not the destination. It doesn't matter if they get to Zanarkand. The story is about the trial and tribulation on the way. The bonds that are made and the places and people you meet along the way.

FFXI - Friendship, it's an MMO, but it's about connecting people and forming bonds with strangers who all share a common bond.

FFXII - Freedom, I regretfully cannot state the reasons behind this one (though it is the official theme) cause it would contain too many spoilers and I don't want to ruin the game since it just came out. ;)

I believe that everything from FFVII and up is the official theme. I could be wrong, but I still remember FFX's theme being travel and journey.