PDA

View Full Version : where can I find a Ps2 Network adapter?

Dante WolfWood
12-02-2006, 06:35 PM
I have looked EVERYWHERE, and I cant find a single one; walmart, eb games, Sony.com; no luck. Now, If you dont know, a network adapter is the adapter that plugs your ps2 online. I need one that functions with broadband so; Do you know where I can get one? and if; how much?

If this is in the wrong area; sorry; wasnt sure where to post.

JKTrix
12-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Playstation 3 has it all built in! The Slimline PS2 has it built-in as well.

If you can't find any adaptors in a store, you might be better off getting either of those if you want to play online.

Otherwise, there's Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Playstation-2X-Network-Adaptor/dp/B000051QDD

Mirage
12-02-2006, 07:14 PM
The network adapter for the old PS2 is discontinued, that's why they're so hard to get.

Dante WolfWood
12-02-2006, 08:48 PM
ugh thats crazy...I finally find a HDD for the ps2 (which DOESNT work with the slim ps2) and now I cant find a network adapter...great

if they created FFXI for the ps2 in the first place; ya think they would keep it going.

(and yes; in the beginning, it was mainly for ps2)

well, does anyone know of any other way to get ps2 online? like wireless? I have wireless connection at my house so I was just curious.

JKTrix
12-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Sell your PS2 game and get the PC version, or just skip FFXI altogether. You won't be missing much (though some other members might disagree).

Or you can click on my link in my last post, which has someone on amazon who will sell it.

Mirage
12-03-2006, 10:48 PM
ugh thats crazy...I finally find a HDD for the ps2 (which DOESNT work with the slim ps2) and now I cant find a network adapter...great

if they created FFXI for the ps2 in the first place; ya think they would keep it going.

(and yes; in the beginning, it was mainly for ps2)

well, does anyone know of any other way to get ps2 online? like wireless? I have wireless connection at my house so I was just curious.

This is because Sony decided to discontinue the old PS2 and its hard drive and network adapter. It was completely our of S-E's control. Without being able to back it up, I like to think that's part of why they decided to release it for the 360 :p.
The original PS2 does not have any sort of network adapter built in.
If you have an original PS2, you must have the hard drive + network adapter accessory. It is impossible to play FFXI on the new slim PS2.

Dante WolfWood
12-04-2006, 03:43 AM
I AM blaming Sony; not S-E. They are supposed to be on such good terms and Sony does this...ugh; no wonder why SE is going back to nin.

still gonna try tho and get it; I wanna finish and play FF7-FF11 on the PS consoles!! Why? bc I'm stubborn...

JKTrix
12-04-2006, 01:15 PM
FF11 is not a game you can 'finish'. Some FF purists I know don't even acknowledge it as a 'Numbered FF', so I really wouldn't stress too much if you can't play it. Otherwise, you can save up to get a PS3 to play it on (after they fix it).

In any case, FF11 has been out since 2002 in Japan. The harddrive was mainly for FF anyway, there aren't many other games out there that use it in a big way. Sony did 'kill' the harddrive a little too early though. FF12 only came out in 2004 for the west, and support ended for the harddrive last year, I think. So while it' sbeen 3 years for people in Japan, it's only been 1 year for the US and I don't think the PS2 version even came out in Europe.

I guess they figured "Everyone who is going to get this game already has it, let's bring out the slim PS2 and ditch those suckers".

Still, my Amazon link is there, you can buy the network adaptor. You have yet to acknowledge that.

Mirage
12-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Yes, there are actually several storylines in FFXI, and you can indeed finish them.

JKTrix
12-04-2006, 02:41 PM
The game as a whole is not currently 'finishable'. But yeah, there are several storylines that you can see through to completion.

Dante WolfWood
12-05-2006, 12:33 PM
well; I'm weird; I just wanna get the game and play it to say I have.

Now; another question to be answered...

I found a wireless adapter on amazon...two actually...

now tell me; which one would is BEST for me to get (no which one is THE BEST; I already know)

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WGA11B-Wireless-B-Game-Adapter/dp/B0000AJVBW/sr=8-4/qid=1165277709/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-7597392-7159207?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WGA54G-Wireless-G-Gaming-Adapter/dp/B00009X6DT/sr=8-5/qid=1165277673/ref=pd_bbs_5/002-7597392-7159207?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

now, the Main difference is the Maximum speed that it can offer I'm thinking.

The slower one is SOOOO MUCH CHEAPER, so I am thinking on going with that one bc FFXI seems not to be a game that requires alot of speed bc its a slower game (unlike say; Unreal, Halo, etc.) and I am low on cash right now.

is this a good choice? or should I go ahead and get the 40 dollar Wired adapter?

(NO WAY i am paying 90 dollars for the faster one)

edit: just noticed; my last statement is a contraindiction to the question...oh well; Well the slower one work fine?

JKTrix
12-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Here's the thing. Those wireless adaptors will still require an ethernet plug to actually stick into the console. You need the 'wired adaptor' to even use these wireless options, otherwise you won't be able to plug the wireless ones in.

As for your question, the speed of the device doesn't currently affect your internet speed much. Unless your internet connection is faster than 11Mbps (the 'speed limit' of the wireless routers), these won't slow it down.

FF11 isn't a game that requires high-speed internet to enjoy on a basic level. You can play it through dial-up as well... after you get the adaptor.

Dante WolfWood
12-05-2006, 03:51 PM
you have been a great big help and I thank you for that.

Do you mean a cat5e ethernet cord? If you are talking about that, I already have a 5ft one so that wouldnt be a problem...

So, should I go with it?

JKTrix
12-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Bare Minimum Required Items to play FFXI:
-PS2
-Controller
-Game
-Harddrive
-Network Adaptor
-Phone Line/Ethernet Cable depending on your internet connection (Cat5 ethernet is fine)

Extras
-Wireless connection: Wireless router + wireless adaptor. The wireless adaptor should come with an ethernet cable, because it will need to plug into an ethernet port (provided by the network adaptor).
-USB Keyboard. If ye don't have a keyboard to play this game, it could be a bigger pain than it usually is.

To play wirelessly, it will cost extra. If you don't have a wireless router already, you'll have to get one in addition to the wireless adaptor. If your modem is close enough to your PS2 and TV, you shouldn't really have to get one and could just use the 5ft cable you already have, or pick up a longer one.

Dante WolfWood
12-05-2006, 04:06 PM
ok, I have a wireless router; its Belkin wireless G router (which is also the company of cat5 ethernet cable I have)

so just get the adapter and I should be fine; right? (my ps2 is in my room which is like 30-40 ft away and a 50 ft cable is like 30-50 dollars O.o)

also I just notice; the wireless router I have says wireless G on it; will the Game adapter that says Wireless B work? I figured the wireless G router would be compatible with Adapter G and B since its newer and I think is backward compatible...right?

I hope so...>.>

edit: or is there no relation between the two and I shouldnt worry?

JKTrix
12-06-2006, 12:29 PM
LIke I said, you will definitely need the official Sony PS2 wired adaptor, that has the ports for the phone line and ethernet. To use it wirelessly, you will have to get the wireless adaptor separately.

Wireless G routers are backwards compatible, but you may have to switch the router to output 802.11b in order for the PS2 adaptor to work (if it doesn't automatically). It might be set to 'mixed' by default, but I know when I was trying to hook my DS up to the WiFi it wouldn't go through unless I switched my wireless router to B-only.

Dante WolfWood
12-06-2006, 03:59 PM
ok, I get what youre saying, I cant just get the wireless adapter and hope it works; gotcha. Well heck, I might as well just get the wired and by a 50 ft cable O.o.

Sorry for being so ignorant at this, I've never tried this before. Thanks for the help tho.

Edit: how in the world did I get that Pic as my avatar?