PDA

View Full Version : Which Game Has The Best Story?

The Devil Man
12-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Ahahahahahaahaahahaahaahahaahahaha...

Simple Topic.

In your opinion, which Game do you think has the BEST story?

If ya ask me, I would say Beyond Good and Evil on XBox/PS2/GameCube. I loooove that game and the story captivates you instantly.

Which game or games do you think have great stories?

Odaisé Gaelach
12-03-2006, 03:51 PM
The Longest Journey, and Dreamfall.

:love:

Giga Guess
12-03-2006, 04:14 PM
.Hack, IMHO.

Jessweeee♪
12-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Threads of Fate
Final Fantasy X

Bunny
12-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Suikoden II.

Markus. D
12-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Drakengard.

>_<

NINJA_Ryu
12-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Second sight
All C&C (not generals and xpack)
Warcraft and starcraft games

Roto13
12-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Baten Kaitos had a couple of really awesome twists, but the overall story was kinda cliched.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
12-03-2006, 06:03 PM
My favorite is the overall story of the Metal Gear series. Each game has a great narrative by its own strengths, and the over-arching narrative between them is naturally that much stronger.

Pete for President
12-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Final Fantasy X and the Metal Gear series.

RiseToFall
12-03-2006, 09:27 PM
-MGS Series
-FF X
-Beyond Good & Evil
-Oddworld:Strangers Wrath

I know I'm missing some major ones, just can't think of them right now.

LunarWeaver
12-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Oh no, here I come mentioning Xenosaga like I tend to manage in every other thread :(. And I do say saga, not gears, omg liek wut.

Jowy
12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Hmm yeah Suikoden II.

escobert
12-03-2006, 09:32 PM
For me it's either FFVII or Tactics.

Nevermore
12-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Damn philosophical mumbo jumbo.

I dare anyone to recap the entire Xenosaga storyline.

And pretending to understand it doesn't count.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-03-2006, 09:34 PM
I'd have to say Tactics.

Dreddz
12-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Indigo Prophecy.

Vermachtnis
12-03-2006, 11:12 PM
I love Chrono Trigger's story. I've played through it and seen all the endings and it's great each and everytime. Especially when you play through the entire story to where the Guru just repeats the same quest...again and again.

I also wanna say something about Skies of Arcadia, you have to say something about a story that uses every cliche they can and still end up pulling it off flawlessly

Rocket Edge
12-03-2006, 11:40 PM
FFVIII.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-03-2006, 11:44 PM
I know several games with stellar storylines. It's one of my favourite things in a game; a good story can really make up for lacking quality in other areas, or make a great game even greater. I'm going to rate each on a scale of 1-10

Amazingly Good Stoylines
-The Longest Journey (Definetly with Odaise on this one; it reads like a book. I have yet to play Dreamfall.) - 10
-Grim Fandango - 9.5
-Psychonauts - 9

Pretty good Storylines
-The Secret of Monkey Island - 7
-Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge - 7.5
-Jade Empire - 8
-Munch's Oddysee - 7.5
-Final Fantasy 7 (suffers from poor dialogue, but otherwise does well) - 7
-Prince of Persia Sands of Time (7.5), Warrior Within (7), Two Thrones (7)
-Omikron: the Nomad Soul (so far it's great) - 8
-Beyond Good and Evil* - 7
-Halo 1 and 2 - 7

*As for Beyond Good and Evil, I would say that it's definetly better than average, but I think you need to be exposed to even more story-driven games Devil Man. the Longest Journey, for example, is the best out of the list at 10.

Ashley Schovitz
12-04-2006, 01:07 AM
I say Final Fantasy IX,VIii,X, Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits, and Prince of Persia the Two Thrones

Cruise Control
12-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Indigo Prophecy.

Nominus Experse
12-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Blaster Master for the NES
I mean look at how the story goes:

Your frog jumps out of its tank, happens to land onto a radioactive box that just so happens to be in your own back yard. It then proceeds to grow to an enormous size instanly, and then jumps down a giant hole. This hole just so happens to lead to another world.

You jump down after your precious mutated frog and happen upon :sophia:, which just so happens to have a suit that can fit you fine, and everything else...

You then shoot things while you try and find your frog. And then you find it and kill it - twice. And then you randomly decide to continue fighting so you can defeat the Underlord who apparently threatens your world above, even though it never once tells you such things in the game itself.

And then you beat it, and suddenly your hair is blue instead of brown like it was in the begining of the game...

Storylines don't get much better than that.

Fire_Emblem776
12-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Wild arms 1

Shoeberto
12-04-2006, 03:20 AM
I really like Half-life's story, mostly in its minimalist execution.

Ouch!
12-04-2006, 03:23 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics, once you know what the hell is going on.

Madame Adequate
12-04-2006, 03:25 AM
Hsu: It's so minimalist nobody knows what's going on. :p

Got to give props to Indigo Prophecy, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, and FFX.

But the best story, in a game, ever?

Deus Ex.

Avarice-ness
12-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Frogger.
A life and death tale of hopping a street of cars to make it to the other side. :razz:

Moon Rabbits
12-04-2006, 03:39 AM
.Hack, IMHO.

.hack gets my award for originality, but I wouldn't call it my favourite story.

I really like Half-life's story, mostly in its minimalist execution.

Half Life's story angered me because it made no sense when I played through the game. Then when I read all the official sources and stuff about what actually went on it sort of felt cheap and like Valve made it all up AFTER half life was released. Sort of like:

"Well, we're done! We released Half-Life!...OH /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif WE FORGOT A STORYLINE."

Anyways, Syberia still holds the title for best storyline in my eyes. It managed to be personal yet epic in scope, and had many emotional twists and advancements. The sub-plot that was unraveled over Kate's cellphone was very dramatic too, and is almost on par with the game's main story (and could've been better than it too, but it was all done over cellphones, so it wasn't quite as awe-inspiring).

When Kate finally abandons her job, home, and fiance to go after Syberia, it's all very dramatic and emotional :jess: I love it.

Kuroshima
12-04-2006, 03:41 AM
Final Fantays Tactics

Jebus
12-04-2006, 04:39 AM
Suikoden II.

exit60b
12-04-2006, 08:23 PM
.hack, chrono trigger or FFX.

Elite Lord Sigma
12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Skies of Arcadia does well. You need to give it credit for having almost every cliché in the book, but managing to pull off a great plot.

Also, KOTOR has an excellent storyline. Sure, it may seem like a generic Star Wars movie at first glance. However, there's so much you can uncover about the pasts of your allies, Jolee Bindo and HK-47 are both hilarious, and there's a shocking and original twist around three-quarters of the way through the game which you'll never see coming.

Riana
12-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Hmm...

FFVII
FFX
Grandia II
Metal Gear Solid series
Resident Evil series
Prince of Persia series
Devil May Cry series
Onimusha seriesI would say Dynasty Warriors series, but those games are based on true historic events. :love:

Raistlin
12-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Suikoden II and Lunar SSSC.

NeoCracker
12-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Xenosaga Series does it for me.

Pure Strife
12-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Final Fantasy 7 hands down. And MGS too.

Ender
12-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Anyways, Syberia still holds the title for best storyline in my eyes. It managed to be personal yet epic in scope, and had many emotional twists and advancements. The sub-plot that was unraveled over Kate's cellphone was very dramatic too, and is almost on par with the game's main story (and could've been better than it too, but it was all done over cellphones, so it wasn't quite as awe-inspiring).

When Kate finally abandons her job, home, and fiance to go after Syberia, it's all very dramatic and emotional :jess: I love it.

Syberia was good, but it ended in a pseudo-cliffhanger that was resolved very poorly by Syberia 2.

I mean, Arctic Penguins?

As far as the best goes, Planescape: Torment

Honorable Mention:

-Baldur's Gate (The sequel had the better gameplay and villain, but the first one had the better story)

-KOTOR 2 (It didn't play as entertaining as KOTOR 1, and it's ending seriously detracts from the experience as a whole, but purely as storytelling this is 4/5ths of a great game. A war-torn galaxy, opportunistic cartels and bounty hunters, a planet trying to rebuild, a former bounty-hunter trying to restore his race to greatness, the Battle of Iziz, a former Jedi trying to re-find his connection to the Force to save the remnants of his dying order being trained by the master of the one who brought the Republic low...)

-Mafia

-Deus Ex (if the game consisted only of its first half it might be tops, but the story degenerated into a lab and army base shooter for the second half, except for the grand finale).

-The Longest Journey (another game with a great first half. I don't even mind the surprise letdown at the end, but I thought the second half with the mermen and winged people was too "raw adventure game" relative to an otherwise extremely complex, detailed, colorful story.

-Quest fror Glory 2: Trial By Fire (sure it ripped off most of its plot from Arabian Nights, and by today's standards it's far too short and "empty"--it could probably be completed in two hours--but those are a magnificent two hours...the gempiece of one of the great series in early gaming)

-FFVI (this perhaps doesn't have the depth of detail that more modern games can afford to dive into, but the framework for its story is one of the best around)

Yamaneko
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Deus Ex. It could easily become a movie with just the script in the game.

Eiko Guy
12-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Grandia 2 wish i could find it cuz jesus i loved that game even though it was really linear it was great

RiseToFall
12-06-2006, 03:03 AM
Grandia 2 wish i could find it cuz jesus i loved that game even though it was really linear it was great

Have you played the first one? It's a much better game IMO.

Pathfinder
12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
defnetley metalgear series.....emmm...kingdom hearts series(LoVe)....FF:tactics advance.....emmmmmmm.........o yea...onimusha series....ace combat series.....emmmmmm.......well xenosaga was fun...but...my CD sumtin rong.....it kept jamming...bah.....errrr.....o yea!!C&C:tiberian sun(kicks most of de orher PC games as*-HEAVY PWNGE)

Crossblades
12-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Legend of Dragoon and Chrono Trigger

Wolf Kanno
12-08-2006, 09:36 PM
FFVI - Though I agree with Ender that it might not have as much detail as newer games, the fact that it has aged well is a testament to it's strong characters and good storyline.

Xenogears - It really should have been a novel or at least an animated series.

I can't say the same for Saga cause the internal politics really destroyed continuity. XSII went in a completely different direction under the new team and XSIII (though it was really good) spent most of it's time trying to fix the issues created by the change in the developement team.

Metal Gear series - Though, I must give special attention to MGS and MGS3 for both being incredibly well written and having a powerful human element in the game. Big Boss and Solid Snake will hopefully be remembered for being well written and well developed "human" characters and not just for cardboard boxes, snapping necks, and eating wildlife...

Ico - Solid proof you can write a compelling story and memorable characters, and no one has to actually say a word (or at least something you can understand).

Vagrant Story - MGS, SE style. Ashley is a compelling character, the narrative was strong, double crosses, mystery, political intrigue, and Sydney is one of the greatest villians ever written.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Even a shoddy translation could not hinder the compelling story and amazing cast this game had. Grand politics, church conspiracies, demons, betrayal, patricide, civil war, and bittersweet ending...

Rusty
12-11-2006, 05:03 AM
I thought FFVIII had the best story out of the Final Fantasy series, followed closely by FFX and FFVII. I enjoyed the storyline to Kingdom Hearts and Tomb Raiders storyline was quite good I thought. Other than that, they is no other RPG's or storyline heavy games I play.

SetoChaos
12-12-2006, 02:43 PM
My favourite storylines are FFVII and VI, KH 1+2.

Wild0ne
12-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Super Mario Bros. I mean C'mon!! A princess gets kidnapped in a village of midgets that wear mushroom hats by a spiked-shelled turtle, and they send the plumber and his brother to rescue her! Classic!!

Christmas
05-21-2022, 03:44 AM
FFVI. Totally dig the story! The other one being FFX. Christmas thinks the FF series have one of the better plots compared to other games Christmas played. :bigsmile: