PDA

View Full Version : Voice-Acting in Games. Do ya like it or not?

The Devil Man
12-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Today I was reading a review of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess when I read something wierd.

The reviewer took a percentage point 'away' from Zelda because 'It has no voice-acting. Unforgivable Nintendo!'

:confused:

Fool! :mad2:

So this got me thinking. Do you personally think voice-acting in games is ever necessary?

I personally HATE it. I can not stand voice-acting in Games and I find it a waste of time. I prefer to use my imagination to characterise, errr, characters in Games and more games have bad voice acting then good.

I can't stand it all :(

Do you think it is necessary or not? Do you prefer your games to have voice acting, or could you not give a damn either way?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
12-03-2006, 03:45 PM
i dont like to read novels in a video games, nor do i like to hear long speeches

Breine
12-03-2006, 03:49 PM
I really like it when it's done well as in games like the Kingdom Hearts series, the Metal Gear Solid series, Tomb Raider: Legend and Dark Chronicle.

I know what you mean, though. It's nice to imagine how the characters sound like and such, but in some games it would just be dull without any voice-overs.

The Zelda games have never really had voice-overs, though.

Odaisé Gaelach
12-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Do you personally think voice-acting in games is ever necessary?

Yes! Of course! Sometimes, you can get away with it, (is it true that the Zelda games never had voiceovers?), or if you're playing on a handheld console.

Other than that, I can't really imagine games without voice acting. It adds to the realism and the excitement.

Roto13
12-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Taking away a point from a Zelda game for not having voiceovers is ridiculous. I wouldn't trust that reviewer at all.

Timerk
12-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Nintendo has said many times that they don't use much voice acting in Zelda games as an artistic decision, so I think reviewers should accept that and not act like it is some surprise.

In terms of the whole industry, though, I think the ship has kinda sailed on that, and it is going to be expected that games have voice acting in them from here on out, especially if the game is story intensive. I like voice acting, but I am not sure if it would be a deal breaker for me or not, it certainly wouldn't stop me from playing a Zelda game.

Giga Guess
12-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Taking away a point from a Zelda game for not having voiceovers is ridiculous. I wouldn't trust that reviewer at all.

Ludicrous indeed. Zelda games have never had voiceovers, beyond "Oohs" and "Aahs." I don't think they ever will. And I'm quite certain, Link will never actually speak. If they ever changed that, I don't think it'll ever be the same.

That said, voice acting done right can augment a game rather effectively. Voice acting done wrong is flat out irritating.

Craig
12-03-2006, 04:55 PM
The voice acting in Grandia 2 was annoying. Not that it was bad or anything but they just wouldn't shut up!

XxSephirothxX
12-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I think it's a valid point. As gaming technology advances, we're gradually moving away from the old method of having to read gobs of text for everything that goes on. You can deliver far more emotion and intensity with voice acting, so long as it is well done. Nintendo doesn't seem to be a big fan of voice acting, as they don't include it in any of their big titles. I don't really mind, but having all the conversation delivered by text can and will retract from the immersion in the game. It's just some person's opinion, and if he thinks games are better with voice acting, it seems a little silly to jump all over him for it.

Elite Lord Sigma
12-03-2006, 05:09 PM
I really like it when it's done well as in games like the Kingdom Hearts series, the Metal Gear Solid series, Tomb Raider: Legend and Dark Chronicle.

I know what you mean, though. It's nice to imagine how the characters sound like and such, but in some games it would just be dull without any voice-overs.

Well, except for Wand of Gamelon, but since nobody likes that game to begin with, that point is moot.

Jessweeee♪
12-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I prefer voice acting as long as it isn't too terrible, but I like games without it too.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, I myself, like a combination of both. I like voice acting as long as it isn't too annoying. But I don't like voice acting ALL the time..put some reading in there too, not just talking the whole game, it'll get annoying eventually. So a nice balance of the two would be nice. :) But I do like the old games with no voices, like FF7 for example, no voices. It was awesome, and I loved it. If it's remade though, voices would be nice. xD.

The Devil Man
12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
By the way the magazine in question was, ironically enough,

The Official Nintendo Magazine in the UK.

Go figure. They have a website and crappy Forum somewhere if you wanna check it out. For all you UK EoFF'ers, check out this months issue. They give Twilight Princess it a 'red cross' for not having voice-overs.

NINJA_Ryu
12-03-2006, 05:46 PM
you know they should get rid of voice overs and instead add....

FMVs!!!!! Like C&C, with actors as the charachters :P

westwood pulled it off well, and they really need to bring it back in the industry :(

but all in all, voice acting is good in my books, as long as it is done wel, and not bored to death by long monologues.

StarlightAngel
12-03-2006, 05:55 PM
If they get the right voices, and if it sounds decent, sure. I love it. But if not, it sucks, and is horribly annoying.

Zeromus_X
12-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, since video games become more and more cinematic in the aspect of storytelling, voice acting should be pretty much a given, unless the game doesn't call for it (Zelda for example). I think it'd be weird playing an RPG today that didn't have voice acting. I think I would mark a game down for that (though, marking Zelda down for that is kinda silly).

LunarWeaver
12-03-2006, 07:07 PM
I enjoy voice acting when it's well done. It can make characters more memorable and all that. I can see them marking down Zelda for lack of it at this point, even being the genre and type of game that it is... They didn't say anything for Ocarina or Majora's Mask, and they let Windwaker get away with it...Now we're up to the fourth 3-D game and it's time Nintendo stopped fearing their fanbase and just did it already. :O_O: Roto is going to bite me for saying this. :shifty:

I don't need voice acting to enjoy a game, though. I like to read and have no problem reading books or games :jess:

Lawr
12-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Can you imageing Metal Gear Solid without voices? *commits suicide*

Dreddz
12-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Zelda only got 1% taken off for having no voices ? Should of been more. By todays standards, voice acting is a must.

Frozen Phantom
12-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Zelda games shouldn't have voices, it just takes away from the experience. As for other games, I enjoy voice acting, but it isn't a must.

RiseToFall
12-03-2006, 09:20 PM
As many other's have said, if the voices are done right, I love having them in my games. Look the MGS series, without David Hayter, Snake would be a kind of boring character. These days when you hear that voice, the first thing you think is Snake from MGS. It just so indistinguishable that people know right away where it from, and who it belongs to.

If more companies actually invested in decent voice work, then many characters in games today would feel more complete. When I look at the Zelda series, Link has always felt like a bland character. He doesn't really have any personality whatsoever. If they wanted to, they could replace him with a sword wielding stick, and nothing would really change. With the addition of voice-work, as well as him actually having some dialogue, it would really bring him to life.

-All the hardcore Zelda fans, please don't kill me.

LunarWeaver
12-03-2006, 09:25 PM
If more companies actually invested in decent voice work, then many characters in games today would feel more complete. When I look at the Zelda series, Link has always felt like a bland character. He doesn't really have any personality whatsoever. If they wanted to, they could replace him with a sword wielding stick, and nothing would really change. With the addition of voice-work, as well as him actually having some dialogue, it would really bring him to life.

-All the hardcore Zelda fans, please don't kill me.

Holy giraffes batman, I'm not the only one that thinks along these lines. And before we're burnt to death by Zelda fans I'm totally giving you a pat on the back.

I Am Stoner
12-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Shenmue has the worts voice-acing ever. Its such a great game that I really don't care though.^__^

Dreddz
12-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Zelda games shouldn't have voices, it just takes away from the experience

Thats so stupid.

Cruise Control
12-03-2006, 10:59 PM
I like it, especially Frans in FF12, and Snakes.

games shouldn't have voices, it just takes away from the experience.Thats so stupidSo is you calling someone else a fanboy. People say dumb things. Deal with it.

EDIT: You calling someone else a fanboy isn't stupid, it's ironic.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Listen to the voice acting in Psychonauts, Devil Man. I doubt anyone would be able to imagine voices that awesome.

Ouch!
12-04-2006, 01:02 AM

Thats so stupid.
You saying that makes me doubt that you have ever played a Legend of Zelda game. It wouldn't be the same if characters actually talked more than vague noises. I had a hard time dealing with Midna's constant babble in Twilight Princess. It does take away from the experience.

Ashley Schovitz
12-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Voice actring can be done right if you've joined this site, then I can guess that you've played FFX correct? Did the voice acting annoyed you in that too? It didn't for me and that's one of the few games that are good in using it. XII's Valkyrie Profile Lenneth's a few other games that I can remember irritated me with their voices. Adding voice acting to games can make it feel more cimematic and enjoyable, but it can also make it irritating.

steve the pirate
12-04-2006, 01:29 PM
it depends of how well it was done. for instance, tales of symphonia voice acting was horrible

ljkkjlcm9
12-04-2006, 01:51 PM
I prefer no voice acting, or if there are voices, subtitles, because sometimes I mute games to listen to other music, if it's the same music over and over, and to miss something because they only said it would be stupid.

As for Zelda, Link has never spoken and never should. That's what makes him as he is. Like in Super Mario RPG, mario wasn't speaking and it was key to the story. I think it is key to Link's character to not speak.

THE JACKEL

Sefie1999AD
12-04-2006, 02:32 PM
I think the voices in video games are a good addition if they're done well, like in KH games, for example. I couldn't really imagine playing RTS games like C&C or StarCraft without the units responding when I click at them. I also think the version of "Day of the Tentacle" with voices was better than the one without voices.

The voices tend to get annoying when the voice acting is weak, though. For example, I have mixed feelings about FFX's voice acting. On one hand, the voice acting was done well for Rikku and Auron (IMHO), but on the other hand, I thought the voice acting for Tidus, Yuna and Seymour was quite lousy.

JKTrix
12-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Gamers are becoming increasingly impatient. Perhaps not 'veterans' such as some of us, but the ADD generation of gamers is growing. If they have to sit through long text sequences, they would either get bored of it or skip it altogether--missing the story. The voice acting at least stimulates another part of their senses to keep them more interested than simple text alone would, no matter how good or bad the quality of the writing or voice work is.

I thought it was odd that Midna actually 'talks' in Twilight Princess. She's the only character that does. Everyone else just makes emotive grunts, but she talks in her jibber for the whole time she's speaking. It doesn't bother me or 'detract from the experience', but it does seem a little out of place.

For voice acting in general, I prefer if a game does in fact use voices. It does add to the immersiveness and your emotional connection to the characters. I can deal with a game being all text and no voice (after all, that's how games were a long time ago), depending on the style. Phoenix Wright works.

fantasyjunkie
12-04-2006, 03:07 PM

Exactly

ljkkjlcm9
12-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Gamers are becoming increasingly impatient. Perhaps not 'veterans' such as some of us, but the ADD generation of gamers is growing.

This is true in multiple cases. For instance with PSU, many players are complaining about the time between updates, complaining they have gotten bored and maxed "everything" weeks ago, which basically means they played the game far too much in the first place. Considering I have 250 hours on it and have not maxed everything because I've taken my time playing the game to actually enjoy it. Many gamers nowadays just seem to complete the game as fast they can then toss it aside. I may have a lot of games, but I enjoy everyone. I have games unopened because I take my time with the games I am currently playing before opening them.

Voiceovers can be a good thing, and help to speed up a game, however I don't think it should be a "requirement" at this point, nor should it ever be. Is a movie with fancy CG required? No, but it makes some movies a lot better, and completely makes other movies, while some are actually worse because of how over the top it is. Are movies required to be in color? No, Sin City wasn't in color, except for key things and that movie did well.

Just because technology is at a certain level, does not make certain things a requirement

THE JACKEL

LunarWeaver
12-04-2006, 05:17 PM
it depends of how well it was done. for instance, tales of symphonia voice acting was horrible

Symphonia's cast has some of the highest caliber voice actors ever in it. o_O

Roto13
12-04-2006, 06:28 PM

Symphonia's cast has some of the highest caliber voice actors ever in it. o_O

It's true. Kratos' VA was a tad dramatic at times, and Lloyd was... just a touch on the annoying side, only periodically. Everyone else was good or great. Raine, Presea, and Regal especially. Even the kids, like Genis and Mithos, were really good. Actually, the only voice I found consistantly annoying was Noishe, and he's a weird dog thing who just makes noises.

Timerk
12-04-2006, 06:46 PM
I thought it was odd that Midna actually 'talks' in Twilight Princess. She's the only character that does. Everyone else just makes emotive grunts, but she talks in her jibber for the whole time she's speaking. It doesn't bother me or 'detract from the experience', but it does seem a little out of place.

It kind of reminds me of the way color was used in The Wizard of Oz.

I think it is a cool idea, but I guess it remains to be seen as to how it will play out.

Dreddz
12-04-2006, 07:35 PM

Thats so stupid.
You saying that makes me doubt that you have ever played a Legend of Zelda game. It wouldn't be the same if characters actually talked more than vague noises. I had a hard time dealing with Midna's constant babble in Twilight Princess. It does take away from the experience.

Stop blindly sticking up for the game, you've never played a Zelda game with voices so how would you know whether it would be good or not. If this was any other game Im sure you'd gladly criticize. But this is just what fanboys are like nowadays I guess....

Madame Adequate
12-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Nintendo has said many times that they don't use much voice acting in Zelda games as an artistic decision, so I think reviewers should accept that and not act like it is some surprise.

Isn't that kind of like not commenting on an impossibly difficult level because it's designed that way? I mean, I don't know that Zelda would work with voices but.

Anyway depends on the game, really. I don't think it's necessary, but when it's done well, it really does help.

Roto13
12-04-2006, 08:24 PM

Thats so stupid.

Stop blindly sticking up for the game, you've never played a Zelda game with voices so how would you know whether it would be good or not. If this was any other game Im sure you'd gladly criticize. But this is just what fanboys are like are nowadays I guess....

Suddenly giving Zelda games voices at this point would be like suddenly giving Mario a shotgun.

Cruise Control
12-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Stop blindly sticking up for the game, you've never played a Zelda game with voices so how would you know whether it would be good or not. If this was any other game Im sure you'd gladly criticize. But this is just what fanboys are like are nowadays I guess....You couldn't point out a fanboy unless I gave you a mirror.

EDIT: And WTF. He specifically mentioned one with VA, you quoted him. Are you fucking blind.

KentaRawr!
12-04-2006, 08:35 PM

Well, except for Wand of Gamelon, but since nobody likes that game to begin with, that point is moot.

Don't forget Zelda's Adventure, the Faces of Evil, and the Satellaview games.

Mirage
12-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Suddenly giving Zelda games voices at this point would be like suddenly giving Mario a shotgun.
Oh, I'd buy that game.

Fire_Emblem776
12-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Oh, I'd buy that game.

Their is a fan made version of it. Mario guns down gumbas:eep:

LunarWeaver
12-04-2006, 09:07 PM
When Dragon Quest got localized and they added voices nobody died, and nobody would die if Zelda had someone reading the dialogue you will be reading yourself anyway. I think what Dreddz is trying to say is that Zelda is only getting away with it because it is an established franchise, and if it was the same exact game with a different title on the box gamers would be criticizing it for its lack of voices instead of praising it.

And before you eat me alive, I could care less if Zelda goes forever without voice acting honestly, I'm just saying I think this is what Dreddz is trying to get across.

Roto13
12-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Dreddz is hypocritically throwing the word "fanboy" around again. Don't respect his opinion. *poke*

LunarWeaver
12-04-2006, 09:13 PM
That's why I tried to express his opinion while leaving out the fanboy stuff, because that kind of dips the whole thing into another silly fandom war thing. I still think his point is a valid one, just without all that :jess:. *lick*

XxSephirothxX
12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Really, I think it may be the first valid point he's made in months. :p People automatically assume Zelda doesn't need voiceovers because it's an established franchise. If they were done well, they'd add to the game. Adding voice acting to Zelda games wouldn't be like giving Mario a shotgun. It would be like adding voice acting to the Final Fantasy games. And oh look, that actually turned out well and greatly added to the cinematic quality of the series. Shocking.

Roto13
12-04-2006, 09:29 PM
The main characters in Final Fantasy games always spoke. If they gave everyone but Link a voice, it'd be awkward and weird. And if they gave everyone INCLUDING Link a voice I'd curl up into a little ball and cry. First they take away his left-handedness and then they give him a voice? Oh, the tragedy of it all...

Mirage
12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
What if they gave voiceovers to everyone, but still kept Link silent. That hardly sounds impossible to do.

Roto13
12-04-2006, 10:15 PM
It sounds awkward and weird, though. "Hey, what are you doing here? What? You're here for the stone of magical powerness? Who? The Great Kuku Tree sent you?"

I don't want to hear that. >_<

Madame Adequate
12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
It sounds awkward and weird, though. "Hey, what are you doing here? What? You're here for the stone of magical powerness? Who? The Great Kuku Tree sent you?"

But it's okay reading it? Having silent protagonists has to be done darn well to be not-retarded, whether other characters use speech or text. Zelda, Half-Life, and Chrono Trigger/Cross do not do it well. In fact only Suikoden games, that I can think of currently, do it with the remotest skill, and they still suck at it (Suikoden III FTW!).

Roto13
12-04-2006, 10:39 PM

But it's okay reading it?

Yes.

ljkkjlcm9
12-04-2006, 10:50 PM
But it's okay reading it? Having silent protagonists has to be done darn well to be not-retarded, whether other characters use speech or text. Zelda, Half-Life, and Chrono Trigger/Cross do not do it well. In fact only Suikoden games, that I can think of currently, do it with the remotest skill, and they still suck at it (Suikoden III FTW!).

YOU FAIL

The best game with a silent protagonist was Super Mario RPG, by FAR

I prefer reading my games thank you many reasons including, it's less of a bother to other people, they don't have to pay attention, it's faster typically, unless you're a really slow reader. And there are a number of games with voice overs that read as the text appears and I'll hit a button and the text will speed up, cutting off the voice making it useless, then I'll go to the next block of text, it'll start again... honestly annyoing. I read fast and like just having it read without the annoyance of "But the great Deku...." cut off cause I read it already "So the young hero..." BLAH annoying

I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And non voice over Zelda games work.

THE JACKEL

Dreddz
12-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Dreddz is hypocritically throwing the word "fanboy" around again. Don't respect his opinion. *poke*

That's why I tried to express his opinion while leaving out the fanboy stuff, because that kind of dips the whole thing into another silly fandom war thing. I still think his point is a valid one, just without all that :jess:. *lick*

You cleverly avoided the word fanboy but really its what it boils down to. You said it had an established franchise, yeah, an established franchise with alot of fanboys who will deny anything to be wrong with there perfect game with no flaws what so ever
I dont care whether you respect my opinion, but its sure as hell more worthy than anyone disagreeing with it.

The main characters in Final Fantasy games always spoke. If they gave everyone but Link a voice, it'd be awkward and weird. And if they gave everyone INCLUDING Link a voice I'd curl up into a little ball and cry. First they take away his left-handedness and then they give him a voice? Oh, the tragedy of it all...

Then I hope you enjoy your undeveloped franchise for years to come.

Roto13
12-04-2006, 11:43 PM
See? I told you not to respect his opinion. I told you!

Dreddz
12-04-2006, 11:47 PM
See? I told you not to respect his opinion. I told you!

Can you please explain what Im saying that is so wrong, if the word fanboy offends you then good.

Shoeberto
12-04-2006, 11:51 PM
I think the kettle is more offended at the pot calling him black, personally.

Roto13
12-04-2006, 11:52 PM
You throw the word "fanboy" around like you're not the biggest one in the world.

EDIT: y hallo thar stu

Dreddz
12-04-2006, 11:58 PM
You throw the word "fanboy" around like you're not the biggest one in the world.

Oh, so its got nothing to do with what I said, just the fact that I said it. Very mature.

Not trying to go off topic but I resent anyone calling me a fanboy, especially you Roto. Im no more fanboy than you are. Congrats in getting everyone to side with though, I applaud.

Cruise Control
12-05-2006, 12:03 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/bbomber72000/eoffkettle2.gif

BTW:
Roto, your a Nintendo fanboy (nostalgia fogs your brain).
Dreddz, your a Sony fanboy (every positive comment about Nintendo does not constitute an attack on Sony).

ljkkjlcm9
12-05-2006, 12:06 AM
I think you're both being dumb to be honest

but the fact of the matter is Link was left handed and they changed that, and a lot of people liked that he was left handed. And he has also never said anything. By not adding voice overs it does not make the franchise underdeveloped. I mean the fact that it works so well with the Wii makes it more developed than most games. Maybe not graphically or something, but still, it's a good game, some consider it the best Zelda yet, and it's controlled a different way then ever before. It's far from underdeveloped just because it didn't have voiceovers.

THE JACKEL

oddler
12-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Let's see. Would I rather read a book or listen to a book-on-tape?

Durrrr... :screwy:

Edit: That was meant not to be clear-cut on purpose. :p

ljkkjlcm9
12-05-2006, 02:23 AM
hmm well actually that's not clean cut, some people would prefer to read the book, but some people would prefer to listen to it

THE JACKEL

Roto13
12-05-2006, 02:36 AM
I despise books on tape. BUt it's kind of irrelevant. :P

Cruise Control
12-05-2006, 02:37 AM
I can read faster than I listen, about 10 times faster actually. So you kind of killed your point oddler.

vampirepiggyhunter7
12-05-2006, 02:47 AM
I like it as long as they don't do it terribly.
I HATE Migelo's voice in FF XII.
And Xhella's in Baten Kaitos.

Roto13
12-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Migelo's voice is fine, but all the voices in BK suck. No, really, every last one of them.