PDA

View Full Version : Anthology vs Origins

Vivisteiner
12-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Ive been thinking of buying the earlier Final Fantasys since Ive only played from 7 onwards. So out of Anthology and Origins, which one should I get.

NINJA_Ryu
12-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Well, if you dont mind some slightly tampered ones, pick up the ones for GBA.

however, would go for anthology. VI is godly ^^

black orb
12-03-2006, 05:33 PM
>>> If you dont mind a game that loads like a bitch, Anthology I guess..

PuPu
12-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I don't know much about FF1, but I can tell you this.

FFII Origins/SNES version is the hardest FF ever. There's even a 64 item limit which I have heard exists in those versions. In this game, the encounter rate is ridiculously high, and the battles are almost impossible to run away from. When in a dungeon, you might see a door leading into a room somewhere. There's a high chance you'll end up in the middle of a monster room, a room with nothing in it, and every step being a monster encounter. They are either item wasters, or great training spots. No other FF's are as hard as this one. (excluding Tactics, Tactics advance, Mystic Quest, Crystal Chronicals, etc. since I don't know too much about them) I played Dawn of Souls, which is slightly easier without the 64 item limit. :)

FFV has an awesome job class system. Quoth Goldenboco "You'll actually want to stop playing the storyline and start leveling up!" It's a great game, but you might not like it as much if you don't like leveling up.

FFVI is also a great game, with a great storyline and gameplay. Mode 7 graphics do look kind of ugly on the World Map, but it's good in other places. This is also the game where Kefka came from, believed my many to be the best villain ever. This game also has MANY characters you can play as (14 in total I think). It's also the first game to introduce Limit Breaks; try using "Fight" when a character has low hp and is near dead. Only problem is that this game can get a little too easy at times.

Anthology is more enjoyable in my opinion, but get Origins and play FFII if you like a challenges.

Zeromus_X
12-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Don't miss out on the superior versions of FFI and II. It's a very, very cheap game, and you can buy it for less than $20 on Ebay or similar. Anthologies has horrible loading times, and the extra features aren't really anything you couldn't get outside of a walkthrough/watched the FMVs on YouTube. You can also just emulate the SNES versions of FFV/VI, and wait for VI to come out on the GBA. Get Origins. :cat:

Chronicles, however, has no loading times (except when saving, but you should use the Memo Save successfully in that game), so you can still get it. Though, it would be better to get the GBA version, as it hasn't really been downgraded in difficulty (faster =/= easier necessarily), and it has a good amount of bonus stuff. Though, Chrono Trigger in that package is rendered virtually unplayable. :/

Infiltraitor
12-03-2006, 06:11 PM
is it still slow if you turn on 'fast disc speed'?

Zeromus_X
12-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Well, no, but it doesn't really help all that much. :cat:

Mirage
12-03-2006, 11:11 PM
I would recommend the GBA versions of FFV and FFIV, even though they have poorer audio quality. For FFVI, I'd play (emulate) the SNES version or wait for the GBA version. This is because I think these games just don't run smooth enough on the PS1. FFOrigins played pretty well on the PS1, IIRC. However, the GBA version still has more content, while the PS1 version only has an eyecandy intro.

Martyr
12-04-2006, 04:04 AM
1 and 2 are great games, but if you've never played them at all before, you may as well play 5 and 6 first.

Besides, you should be able to do 1 and 2 pretty cheap priced later.

The absolute best advice I can give you is to just buy both.

Dell
12-04-2006, 05:12 AM
Play Origins first, if you can withstand the graphic, go for Anthology.

RiseToFall
12-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Like Martyr said, I really don't think it's a great idea to jump straight into FF I or II. If you've never played the older FF games, Anthology (VI) will slide you in a lot easier.

Timerk
12-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Like Martyr said, I really don't think it's a great idea to jump straight into FF I or II. If you've never played the older FF games, Anthology (VI) will slide you in a lot easier.

That doesn't really make much sense. I say start at the begninning, if you can, it will give a better sense of the development of the series, and a more natural progression.

OT: Buy both, I doubt you will ever regret it.

Vivisteiner
12-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanx all so far.

But the poll results are still so close.
If this carries on, I may have to resort to buying both of them. lol.

But anyway, keep on posting/voting since I only have enough money to buy one of them at the moment. + I could hate playing with those graphics too much. Its been a while since Ive played in 2D.

Also, I saw that the intro to the games are in 3D. Are there any other bits in 3D during the games?

Wolf Kanno
12-05-2006, 10:21 AM
No, just the opening's and ending's. Though FFVI is my favorite, buy Origins. I agree with Timerk, start from the beginning and work your way up. You'll appreciate the series as whole if you do it that way. FFI is surprisingly good and has aged well (gameplay wise).

FFII, is not so difficult as it is tedious. It does "force" you to take a linear path in the game and by that, I mean you'll be wondering around outside the first town, fighting imps. You decide to head west a little bit and BAM! powerful ogre shows up and wastes your party. To avoid fighting anything out of your league you either have to take direct paths to your destinations or spend a few hours leveling up your stats.

Ultima_Weapon
12-05-2006, 02:08 PM
save up your money and buy Origins instead because loading times for anthology is just ridiculous. Don't waste your money on it since you can either download it from comp or buy the GBA versian which is much better.

Avarice-ness
12-05-2006, 09:39 PM
FF I and FF II lead me to appreciate using support magic and such which led me to do alot better in other FF's. Regardless if I'm a crazy FFVI fan-girl, if you want to learn more about how to make other FF's easier I'd go with Origins, The simplicity of everything makes it easier to learn why each little peice of magic is worth using. Atleast that's how it worked out for me. :razz:

Sefie1999AD
12-06-2006, 03:36 PM
>>> If you dont mind a game that loads like a bitch, Anthology I guess..

Agreed there. However, if you have problems with saving that takes 30 seconds, loading that takes even longer, a menu that takes 5 seconds to open after pressing the menu button, battles that have a blank screen and no sound for 3 seconds when the battle starts and when they end (really annoying when you're in an area with a huge random encounter rate), and a horrible sound quality, stay away from FF Anthology. :p If you want to play FFV and FFVI without those problems, get FFV for GBA and wait for FFVI to be released for GBA. Or get FFV and FFVI for SNES, up to you.

Final Fantasy Origins is technically well done. The sound and music are both great, and there's hardly any loading times. I think it's worth getting FF Origins (for PSX) or FF Dawn of Souls (for GBA) just because of FFI since it's a good game with a lot of replay value. One could argue that FFII is a bad game that makes Origins/DoS not worth the trouble, but it's not like I'd like FFVI much, either. :p

Dreddz
12-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Why not both ? There hideously cheap nowadays. If you really could only pick one though, Anthology is where your money should head towards.