PDA

View Full Version : Is the Farplane "real" or an illusion? (spoilers)

cally777
12-04-2006, 10:00 AM
When Tidus first visits the Farplane, Rikku tells him that the "dead" he will see there are an illusion created from people's memories. Could this be true? Just because we know certain characters are "unsent" doesn't mean it isn't illusory. After all, Tidus mother is there, and she is supposed to be a dream. Also none of the "dead" seem able to reply to the living, which is what you might expect if they were just illusions. And Auron says that he doesn't "belong" there?

jammi567
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Tidus's mum is there because DZ is a real place, dremt up by the faith of the real Z. the people were very real, but were hold together by the fayth.

The dead can't reply to the living because *drum roll* they're dead.

Firo Volondé
12-04-2006, 11:39 AM
It's an interesting question, though the Farplane has never been properly explained. Rikku's statement could have some truth, since the pyreflies only form images of people when you think of them, but why do only dead people appear? It could be due to the pyreflies that form the images of the people you see are the same ones that once formed the person in question (remember that every creature in Spira releases pyreflies when it dies or is sent).

cally777
12-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Tidus's mum is there because DZ is a real place, dremt up by the faith of the real Z. the people were very real, but were hold together by the fayth.

The dead can't reply to the living because *drum roll* they're dead.

Sure (lol!), fair point! But you can't usually see them either! :D

I'm not sure I buy this "Dream Zanarkand is real" business though. If it was real in the sense we normally think of, it wouldn't need the fayth to keep it going; and of course, it and everything associated with it, wouldn't disappear once the fayth stopped dreaming.

I guess my point is that the Farplane doesn't seem to be the true "home" of dead souls, in the way that (say) Valhalla is the home of dead heroes. You aren't going to go there and find them swigging saki or whatever. So the whole thing could be in the minds of those who remember them, no?

Timerk
12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
It's an interesting question, though the Farplane has never been properly explained. Rikku's statement could have some truth, since the pyreflies only form images of people when you think of them, but why do only dead people appear? It could be due to the pyreflies that form the images of the people you see are the same ones that once formed the person in question (remember that every creature in Spira releases pyreflies when it dies or is sent).

At the end of X2, the fayth were able to reform Tidus from pyreflies, and Tidus says that they also gave him back his memories, which would suggest that pyreflies are unique to each individual. They could be reforming as a reaction to the strong feelings of the living, although even those emotions are not enough to reanimate them. That might explain why the the pyreflies which formed Tidus' mom wouldn't be able to make a image of, say, Jecht, because they are her 'special' pyreflies.

:confused:

Tavrobel
12-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Simply put, the Farplane IS a real place. This is indisputible.

However, the things that it comprises (pyreflies/memories) are not.

cally777
12-05-2006, 12:38 AM
So you're saying the Farplane isn't an illusion but the dead people there are? Ok, though the place itself would then be a kind of deception, as most Spirans (except maybe Al Bhed) seem to believe they are really visiting their dead friends and relatives. Whereas in fact they are just reviving their memories of them.

Guess it takes a heathen Al Bhed to point that out. One of the smarter races of Spira I think! :cool:

Little Blue
12-05-2006, 09:12 AM
The way I understand it is that the farplane is a real place. During the life of someone the pyreflies that exist within them get imprinted with the "soul" of the person, both real and DZ people since DZ people are aeons and are therefore made of pyreflies anyway. At death these pyreflies are liberated from the body and depending on the mental state of the person who just died can go to the farplane, become an unsent or a fiend (the last two would require a sending to get them to the farplane). Then someone who remembers them goes to the farplane and thinks about them, and the pyreflies that carry that persons imprint are attracted to the rememberer and gather to form a weak image of the dead guy.

So as you've already established, yeah, they're just illusions and its not really the dead person floating there, just a memory of the pyreflies reacting to someones thought of the person.

cally777
12-06-2006, 06:54 AM
I'd say that's about the clearest anyone's put it so far. Cheers for that, Duality! :ghost:

Little Blue
12-06-2006, 01:31 PM
No problem. Beats looking up capacitance for an assignment.:D

Omega_Weapon
12-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Auron doesnt want to be in the farplane mainly cause he's dead and needs to help yuna and tidus

Little Blue
12-07-2006, 11:59 PM
He doesn't need to, but he promised too and his sense of honour and integrity keep him on Spira to fulfill said promise.