PDA

View Full Version : Golden Age of EoFF Forum: When Was It?

The Devil Man
12-04-2006, 03:27 PM
On another Forum I go to, which is frequented by a lot of the current Staff here as well as "Famous" Banned EoFF Members, there are quite often discussions on the Current State of Eyes on Final Fantasy.

This got me thinking. For all of you 'veterans' on this Forum (and there are many, many people that have been here for several years)...

When was the Golden Age of Eyes on Final Fantasy Forum?

When was the Forum at it's most 'fun'? When were the debates and discussions in EoEo and other sub-forums, at their highest quality? Which period of EoFF's history was the most memorable and enjoyable for you? When were the Members of EoFF true characters with strong personalities?

The year 2000? 2001? 2002? 2003? 2004? 2005? Now?

I ask this because when I have some spare time, I might check out some of the old threads from the 'Golden Age' so to speak.

Nominus Experse
12-04-2006, 03:28 PM
A good thread, Devil Man. I myself have often wondered this, so do please tell veterans.

Psychotic
12-04-2006, 03:31 PM
I think EoFF has been consistently great from when I joined (2002) up until the present day. People may come and go, but there's always been great people to be found here, and good times.

Christmas
12-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Must be the age without PAUL!, LEVIAN THE BIG BAD OGRE, NANNY MANUS and when Cid still posts regularly. :bigsmile:

Breine
12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I think EoFF has been consistently great from when I joined (2002) up until the present day. People may come and go, but there's always been great people to be found here, and good times.

Yeah something like that, even though I first joined in 2003 I pretty muh agree with Psychotic that the forums have been consistently good up until now - I think I do remember lot of fun and interesting stuff going on in 2003 and 2004, though.

Old Manus
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM
We've had a golden age?

Christmas
12-04-2006, 03:47 PM
We've had a golden age?

An age without you. :bigsmile:

Rocket Edge
12-04-2006, 03:50 PM
This year has been pretty good IMO, but heck i've only started going here regularly since the start of the year.

Old Manus
12-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I thought as much

EDIT: @christmas

Citizen Bleys
12-04-2006, 03:52 PM
I'd say from ezBoard days right up into the first vBulletin 2.x before it started to lose its charm.

theundeadhero
12-04-2006, 04:01 PM
I can honestly say I've never had more fun than right now. They only thing that could make it better is something the staff won't allow, so I'm living it up.

NeoCracker
12-04-2006, 04:04 PM
With the return of the Mighty Bleys reincarnated as Cthulhu my golden age has come to an end, and may only return when Raistlin rised agaisnt Cthulhu and Levian becomes mine.

Dell
12-04-2006, 04:07 PM
24-12-2005. The golden egg of EoFF Forum.

Seriously, I'd say 2004-2005, where NANNY, Big Sister, the trio and me joins! I feel sorry for Meaty, Ki Ki, BoB and Psy. :(

Citizen Bleys
12-04-2006, 05:09 PM
With the return of the Mighty Bleys reincarnated as Cthulhu my golden age has come to an end, and may only return when Raistlin rised agaisnt Cthulhu and Levian becomes mine.

That would be foolhardy of him.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Yamaneko
12-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I'd say from ezBoard days right up into the first vBulletin 2.x before it started to lose its charm.
Or maybe you just started going soft, like the big teddy bear you are.

I still enjoy the place 5+ years later. If I didn't then I wouldn't be coming back. Although there was something different in the air between '01-'02. Everything felt new. Now this place feels like an old companion.

Misfit
12-04-2006, 05:26 PM
I knew Bleys was a teddy bear...

I miss HOOTERS. :(

Rocket Edge
12-04-2006, 05:27 PM
I miss HOOTERS. :(
Yeah & ff babe. Before my time however.

Citizen Bleys
12-04-2006, 05:43 PM

You got it bass ackwards mate. Back in the day I was a lot softer and trusted everyone. Now I have to watch my back.

Yamaneko
12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Your love for bass hasn't changed, though.

Burtsplurt
12-04-2006, 06:05 PM
If only he'd grow to love trout.

I probably liked it most in 2001 and 2002, but that's because EoFF was new to me and I had a fair amount of time to spend on here. Now, I don't have that luxury so I miss out on a lot. But it's still good... just different.

XxSephirothxX
12-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I think I enjoyed it the most for the first year I was here. But after that I made more friends, whereas before I didn't really know many people who didn't regularly visit #eoff. I imagine most people will think that the first year or two years or what have you was the best time, because everything was fresh, and new, and we like to cling tightly to fond and overexaggerated memories of a lovely past. :p

Citizen Bleys
12-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I think I enjoyed it the most for the first year I was here. But after that I made more friends, whereas before I didn't really know many people who didn't regularly visit #eoff. I imagine most people will think that the first year or two years or what have you was the best time, because everything was fresh, and new, and we like to cling tightly to fond and overexaggerated memories of a lovely past. :p

There are tangible reasons why I consider the beginning to be the golden age of EoFF. People like Dan Walkie and Nino Brown who don't come around anymore, for example. The fact that it was a closely knit community and anybody could say anything without being attacked for it was a major bonus too. In today's EoFF, you can't say you like cheese without somebody crawling up your gonch about it. Back then, there was no need to lock EoEO so that inappropriate elements couldn't access it -- there were no inappropriate elements.

NeoCracker
12-04-2006, 06:36 PM

There are tangible reasons why I consider the beginning to be the golden age of EoFF. People like Dan Walkie and Nino Brown who don't come around anymore, for example. The fact that it was a closely knit community and anybody could say anything without being attacked for it was a major bonus too. In today's EoFF, you can't say you like cheese without somebody crawling up your gonch about it. Back then, there was no need to lock EoEO so that inappropriate elements couldn't access it -- there were no inappropriate elements.

So EoFF has become america?

DK
12-04-2006, 06:37 PM
There wasn't one. :spin:

XxSephirothxX
12-04-2006, 06:47 PM

Well, I was just speaking in general. :p I'm sure most people would enjoy such a close-knit community. I know I would prefer it. But I think that anybody would find particular people to latch onto depending on when they joined, and always remember them as the best. You have people you love from back then, whereas if someone joined how they might feel a special affinity for Psy or Christmas or whoever is popular now.

boys from the dwarf
12-04-2006, 06:50 PM
despite posting some stupid things, i really liked it when i joined although it was much different back then. there were some members that i dont see so much of anymore (they could have changed their names though.)

when the survivor games were going, well, it was good at first but as they dragged on it just got boring.

but back then we didn't have christmas or goldenoboco or some of the other members. and some good memebrs have been banned but there are so many good times so this site is, in general, awesome.

Shlup
12-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I don't know, I think it's fine as it is now. Back when it was shiny and new it was fun. I liked Acmlm's hacks for the board.

I think it's pretty easy to find a board like EoFF used to be though. What's hard to find is a board like EoFF is now, so that's good about it.

Quindiana Jones
12-04-2006, 07:26 PM
EoFF never got past clay.

Rye
12-04-2006, 07:31 PM

Same. I like all the years, though I have a soft spot in my heart for 2003-2004. :)

Quindiana Jones
12-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Same. I like all the years, though I have a soft spot in my heart for 2003-2004. :)

You should get that sorted out. It could be a hole or something and you could DIE! :eek:

The Devil Man
12-04-2006, 08:26 PM

You should get that sorted out. It could be a hole or something and you could DIE! :eek:

What was so special for about 2003-2004?

This is what I'm interested in. The History of EoFF.

The Nostalgia! :hyper:

Chemical
12-04-2006, 08:52 PM
I still enjoy the place 5+ years later. If I didn't then I wouldn't be coming back. Although there was something different in the air between '01-'02. Everything felt new. Now this place feels like an old companion.

QTH

Back in that time 01 - 02, EoFF was like a newly wed. She had many delightful and unexplored surprises... now the novelty is old and warn lust and love have eased into dedicated friendship.

And yeah, in the beginning there were fewer members so everyone necessarily knew everyone else. Now it seems the turnover rate is like a McDonald's employment track.

Bahamut2000X
12-04-2006, 09:02 PM

Those were some fun years. Especially when there were lapse in times when staff wasn't on the forums for a few hours and then we could spam. >.>

Ah I still remember Linus' greatest spam thread of 2003. Those were fun days. T_T

Flying Mullet
12-04-2006, 09:09 PM
I think I do remember lot of fun and interesting stuff going on in 2003 and 2004, though.

I remember 2003 - 2004 fondly as well. I don't know if it's just because I was new then and the novelty hadn't worn off, but I remember everyone was always in a good mood (for the most part), could take a joke and everyone got along pretty well. Also, it seems like the staff has to play babysitter and policeman more now than it had to back then, so they could afford to have more fun with the board "back in the day".

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-04-2006, 09:13 PM
2000 through 2001. Maybe even the first half of 2002. Since then, though, it's been comparatively sad times.

NeoCracker
12-04-2006, 09:17 PM
2000 through 2001. Maybe even the first half of 2002. Since then, though, it's been comparatively sad times.

At least you have me.

Shauna
12-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Before my time here I would think.

Breine
12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
I think I do remember lot of fun and interesting stuff going on in 2003 and 2004, though.

I remember 2003 - 2004 fondly as well. I don't know if it's just because I was new then and the novelty hadn't worn off, but I remember everyone was always in a good mood (for the most part), could take a joke and everyone got along pretty well. Also, it seems like the staff has to play babysitter and policeman more now than it had to back then, so they could afford to have more fun with the board "back in the day".

Yeah, something like that. People just seemed really nice - not that they aren't today, but everything just seemed so great back then. Plus, we had people like HOOTERS! around.

Loony BoB
12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Most of the older members have said my thoughts, so I'll repeat those points, as is the way on message boards.

I think EoFF has been consistently great from when I joined (2002) up until the present day. People may come and go, but there's always been great people to be found here, and good times.Yeah, just change 2002 to 2000.

Yeah, just change '01-'02 to '00-'01.

Back in the day I was a lot softer and trusted everyone. Now I have to watch my back.
Have to say, although I'm not "watching my back", I'm definitely much more serious - this is completely to do with me being on staff, I think.

Definitely right there. Not only with casual threads, but with forums policy etc. Back then when the staff made a decision, everyone went with it. These days people act like they're being taxed so the staff can buy new computers or something. But yeah, we've grown to the size that we now attract trolls, and we also have a history long enough to have picked up a lot of banned members over the years and some of them are sort of like a bad itch that won't go away.

I think it's pretty easy to find a board like EoFF used to be though. What's hard to find is a board like EoFF is now, so that's good about it.
Amen to that.

What was so special for about 2003-2004?

This is what I'm interested in. The History of EoFF.
Check out the Wiki, there's a little history there, although the nostalgia can't really be passed on accurately as it's something you can only gain through experience.

Back in that time 01 - 02, EoFF was like a newly wed. She had many delightful and unexplored surprises... now the novelty is old and warn lust and love have eased into dedicated friendship.

And yeah, in the beginning there were fewer members so everyone necessarily knew everyone else. Now it seems the turnover rate is like a McDonald's employment track.
Two fantastically accurate similes.

Yes. =/

There are more things to take into account, though.

A large amount of people who joined in EoFF's early years were still discovering the internet in general. It wasn't so much EoFF so much as the web on a whole. I know that if I go to another message board now, I don't get the rush of being a newbie anymore. Not at all. To be honest, I feel more new at EoFF even now than I do elsewhere. I feel like I've grown up in this place, while if I go to a new forum, I'm an already-experienced member of the internet and people see me as new, because they, in their own internet experience, haven't met me before. So they see me as new while I feel older than that. I hope that makes sense.

There's also the fact that when you first join EoFF, you discover a lot of personal sides to it - or at least, I did. I could talk about all my issues with family and friends, the ladies in my life, etc. Now, my family and friends are EoFFers too, as are the ladies in my life. This place has become home to a larger degree with myself than most of you, I suppose, in that way. Since I joined, I have brought my offline life (Mum, Calliope, Loony JosH, Tweety ch1ck, Raven1073, ms_devli...) into EoFF and EoFFers (smittenkitten, Miriamel, Etienne, Rinoabella, Jewels, Sakura Yume, etc.) into my real life. This place is where most of my friendships are based. The two things have merged. Five years ago, a relationship starting up online was weird. In today's Britain, 33% of people surveyed recently had started a relationship with a girlfriend or boyfriend on the 'net.

Sorry, went off a bit too far there - anyway, what I'm getting at is that EoFF isn't my hideaway anymore. I can't talk about how I'm having trouble with my girlfriend - she's registered here, as are all her friends! If I want to discuss what to buy my Mum for Christmas, well, I can't do it here - she'll see it! If I have a problem with a close friend, chances are there's someone registered here who has their number or IM name and can pass it on as gossip. So I can never, ever get that back. If anything, I can only do that sort of thing in the staff forum now. But it's obviously not the same - I'm no longer anonymous here. This is part of my life now, and I treat my friends here as family. But with a family, well, that's something special in it's own right, and I wouldn't trade my friends and the changes in my life that have come about because of EoFF to be anonymous again, not at all.

PS. LiveJournal killed the message board stars.

Chemical
12-04-2006, 09:44 PM

Mainly because from 2001/2002 onwards I've been an EoFF binger. That is I've left and come back and left and come back and now that I'm here again may the Golden Age commence!

(insert long winded hoo haa here)

A lot of what you're drawing attention to also coincides with the fact that a lot of people from the beginning are all growing/grown up.

Hell!
Cid is married (anyone remember that time we had a fundraiser to buy him a *cough*?),
Shlup is married,
We're all in College,
Or living Alone and Working FT jobs

Back in the day we were still kids so the world had a little glimmer and charm left in it... then suddenly like Little Jackie Paper we left the land of make believe and started seeing the world as the grotesquely realistic place it is.

Our emotional changes from young angsty, ambitious, energetic teenagers to mature, considerate adults has altered our perceptions of EoFF and perhaps its not the board that we're nostalgic about but rather our innocence we relate to that time.

The Golden Age is merely a figment of our imagination.

Quindiana Jones
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
All the happiness ended when I arrived. :(

Tavrobel
12-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Anything that was before my time. Simply by having me here, the quality of forum drops by 100%.

Shoeberto
12-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Straight-up truth, really.

Loony BoB
12-04-2006, 10:02 PM
growing/grown up.
Crap, I was gonna make that point too. Thanks for adding it, I'd forgotten. D= But yeah, I agree with you. People changed, in all sorts of ways, as did our outlook.

Quindiana Jones
12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Change back! :(

Yamaneko
12-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Don't worry, guys, Kishi is still partying up in the staff forum like it's 2000. That guy has some mad moves.

Quindiana Jones
12-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I don't believe you. The only way to solve this problem is to make me staff. Good boy.

XxSephirothxX
12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
A lot of what you're drawing attention to also coincides with the fact that a lot of people from the beginning are all growing/grown up.

Hell!
Cid is married (anyone remember that time we had a fundraiser to buy him a *cough*?),
Shlup is married,
We're all in College,
Or living Alone and Working FT jobs

Back in the day we were still kids so the world had a little glimmer and charm left in it... then suddenly like Little Jackie Paper we left the land of make believe and started seeing the world as the grotesquely realistic place it is.

Our emotional changes from young angsty, ambitious, energetic teenagers to mature, considerate adults has altered our perceptions of EoFF and perhaps its not the board that we're nostalgic about but rather our innocence we relate to that time.

The Golden Age is merely a figment of our imagination.
That's a really good point, and I don't know why I didn't think of it, either. I mean, when I joined, most of you vets were grown up already, but I was a Junior in high school and just starting to use the Internet for more than research. It's only been two years, but I've changed quite a bit since then. I've certainly matured quite a bit, though with that has come an increasingly cynical outlook on life. :p You can never go back again, but then, maybe that's a good thing. It's so much easier to remember that fresh, exhilarating feeling of being a part of something than experiencing it while also living through all the crap that comes with being in high school.

Flying Mullet
12-04-2006, 10:48 PM
PS. LiveJournal killed the message board stars.
That's a good point that I didn't think of. "Back in the day", message boards were the best way to interact with other denizens of the net in a way more permanent than chat. But with sites like LiveJournal and MySpace being so customizable these days, it seems that message boards have taken on a different role as some of the features of a message board are better used and improved upon by sites like LiveJournal and MySpace.

I guess it's just part of the natural evolution of the internet.

Dr Unne
12-04-2006, 11:18 PM
In the very beginning we got lucky and a dozen or so really nice people were all that were around, and somehow we all managed to trust each other and have fun and learn from each other in spite of how screwy we all were (or still are).

But some of the people I automatically associate with this MB weren't around in the very beginning. Most people here today probably wouldn't recognize that old place as EoFF at all. I don't know if I'd call it any kind of "golden age". It was just different. I have no problem with how things are here today.

StarlightAngel
12-05-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm going to jump the bandwagon and say I loved this place best when I first joined XP;

NorthernChaosGod
12-05-2006, 01:13 AM
This place used to be good?

NINJA_Ryu
12-05-2006, 01:14 AM
I can honestly say I've never had more fun than right now. They only thing that could make it better is something the staff won't allow, so I'm living it up.

Agent Proto
12-05-2006, 01:28 AM
EoFF has always been the same EoFF. Times have changed when the members get older, and new members come to take their place and new content is being added by the new members. EoFF is how you make it to be. Anyway, the best time would be 2002-2003 for me. Right now is also good, but I'm just not getting the best out of my buck because I'm not being active or whatnot. :P

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Back in the day I was a lot softer and trusted everyone. Now I have to watch my back.
Have to say, although I'm not "watching my back", I'm definitely much more serious - this is completely to do with me being on staff, I think.

Bull. Quitting staff didn't fix anything for me.

nik0tine
12-05-2006, 08:25 AM
I think everyone has their own 'golden age' or whatever. About one year ago was when the sight was at it's utmost height for me. All of my favorite members were still here and posted regularily, the spam was fun and I was slightly more well liked than I am now. The place is a bit stagnant now, I think. At least for me it is. It's someone elses time now, I think.

Slade
12-05-2006, 09:17 AM
I actually rather enjoyed this year on the forums. People actually know me now. About a year ago it was, 'Slade who?' :rolleyes2

Christmas
12-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Slade who?

NeoCracker
12-05-2006, 09:45 AM
If you look above your post Christmas you shall witness all that is slade.

Loony BoB
12-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Bull. Quitting staff didn't fix anything for me.
I got less spammy. You spammed even while you were on staff. My being serious isn't down to being jaded or angry at staff decisions, it's just about not wanting to be too spammy because I freak out that I might end up looking like the biggest hypocrite here. Anyone who knows me before I was a staff knows I have a secret desire to spam this place to hell and back. As people in the staff forum might know from my lovely old 99 bottles of beer thread, for a mere example.

Mitch
12-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Slade who?

That's so 2005

Christmas
12-05-2006, 11:46 AM
:(

NeoCracker
12-05-2006, 11:54 AM
:(
You people should be ashamed making Christmas use the Frowny face. Twice this morning already, twice!

Sure, Christmas is a bit hateful, but thats why we love her.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

This is a sign that this is truly the end of he Golden age.

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2006, 04:47 PM
I got less spammy. You spammed even while you were on staff.

Maybe you shouldn't let being staff interfere with who you are, then.

Loony BoB
12-05-2006, 05:03 PM
I got less spammy. You spammed even while you were on staff.

Maybe you shouldn't let being staff interfere with who you are, then.
When in a position of responsibility I post responsibly most of the time. That, in itself, is how I am. :p So I got myself into that, really.

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Pffft, position of responsibility me arse. You're not getting paid, you should have fun. When the admins have fun, usually the whole forum has fun.

Staffing is a volunteer position, don't let it kill your personality.

Yamaneko
12-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm getting paid. :cool:

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2006, 05:12 PM
sexual favors don't count, Yams.

Madonna
12-05-2006, 05:15 PM
When Ancients Reminisce

Bahamut2000X
12-05-2006, 05:23 PM
When the admins have fun, usually the whole forum has fun.

Except that time admins had fun by banning like 2 dozen people (myself included) for one itsy bitsy spam thread. <.<

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2006, 05:25 PM
So many of the greatest moments in EoFF history have been because of admins just relaxing and having fun. The anniversary sex change tradition (which seems to have fallen by the wayside) and Ed's Technicolor Nightmare being 2 examples that spring to mind immediately.

Raistlin
12-05-2006, 05:30 PM
RSL Day!

Bahamut2000X
12-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Ed's Technicolor Nightmare

I mostly remember burning Corneas during all that. >.>

Citizen Bleys
12-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Ed's Technicolor Nightmare

I mostly remember burning Corneas during all that. >.>

See what I mean? Comedy gold.

Killy
12-05-2006, 07:24 PM
I am going to say that late 2001 to early 2003 were the best for me. At that time I had the time to post lots and some members just made it fun.

I Don't Need A Name
12-05-2006, 07:27 PM
I'd say 2004-2005

i would say that as well, evn though i wasnt here for half of that, i was looking regularly in 2004

black orb
12-05-2006, 07:42 PM
>>> I guess the members were more interesting in the old days but the forums/site are way more improved and better now..
Before nobody cared about the fanart section and now we have neat stuff like the Artist's Gallery..

chionos
12-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I don't remember any years or seasons specifically, but I do have fonder memories for people who have left or at least become less active. Rydia, Daryl, Danni, Bossker, Asorie, Britt, Scottie, Chickencha...there's just a bunch of ppl who I associated with Eoff who aren't part of it anymore, so Eoff feels somehow...less Eoff. It obviously isn't less, I'm just influenced by nostalgia and my lack of activity since. Just as many Ancient members are still around as are gone, so it shouldn't really feel any different. However, even the ones that are still here have changed. Bastards have grown up. And I just wanna be a Toys-R-Us kid. I really do.
The year or so after I first joined seems retrospectively greater than anything since, but that may just be because I'm no longer active, and my life outside of Eoff has changed. I've grown up, Eoff's grown up. It smells of nursing home and adult diapers. It has to have its meds and a sponge bath every day. It's damn old.
Change. It sucks but it's necessary.

Big Ogre Umaro
12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
I wonder about some of the people with whom I'm no longer in contact. On the internet and in real life, actually. I can't really connect with a lot of them, though, when I do talk to them. I hope they're happy.

The Golden Age lasted five minutes, and I missed it because I knocked my mouse behind my desk and I was under there looking for it and I found some spare change and I was counting it.

Fatal Impurity
12-06-2006, 02:04 PM
was there any golden age? by the looks of this thread it seems that the golden age is only in our perceptions...and not in reality which seems to be mostly associated with when we first join up as you learn and grow through EOFF....i realise that there were times when even our most leetist members we newbies and were naive and innocent....this doesnt nessarilly make it a golden age....just an age of growth....

Rydia of Mist
12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
2000/2001/2002, probably.

You young'uns missed out on Wyllius.

Madame Adequate
12-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Anytime when Bleys, Unne, and Raist are all active is a good times in my book.

And back when we had people like Cloud No.9 and Traitorfish, that was good too.

Christmas
05-20-2022, 03:14 PM
I know this one! Activities wise, is Aug 2006!! Give me a medal or a RM Title!! :bigsmile:

Other factors are based on perception such as when your dick finally touches the moon, it is EoFF golden age!