PDA

View Full Version : No Humor

Rodney
12-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Is it just me, or does FF12 seem to have almost no humor in it at all? I mean, the only laughs I've gotten so far are from things Balthier's said, as well as the awkward moment of silence when Vaan rudely asked how old Fran was fifty years ago, as well as how everyone -- especially Larsa and Balthier -- reacted to it.

Nominus Experse
12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
I'M CAPTAIN BASCH!

LunarWeaver
12-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Basch, :lol:

It is a rather serious storyline, but it has its moments. It's not really like the others are comedies or anything, so I'm not sure where the expectation came from :(... IX and VI are the only two I really consistently laughed at I guess. The others, meh... XII is funnier than VIII or VII, those two are dark drama all the way.

Zeromus_X
12-05-2006, 11:46 PM
BASCH LIVES!

Also,

"Way to go, Vaan."

"Can't you ever grow up?"

"That was quite rude."

But anyway, I don't think the premise of the story requires much humor.

Roto13
12-05-2006, 11:57 PM
I'M CAPTAIN BASCH!

TESTIFY!

Tavrobel
12-05-2006, 11:58 PM
I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON ROSENBURG OF DALMASCA BUT I'M DEAD YEEHAW!

You'll fall out of your seat when you see the main character.

Wait a minute...

Timerk
12-06-2006, 12:14 AM
There were some cute scenes with Balthier and Basch (yes, even Basch). Also, the Vaan moments others have mentioned.

There isn't a lot of humor in the game, but I don't think it hurts the story or anything like that.

Rodney
12-06-2006, 03:48 AM
Also,

"Way to go, Vaan."

"That was quite rude."
Actually, that was . . .

"Nice, Vaan." (Balthier)

"Surprisingly rude." (Larsa)

"Try to grow up, please." (Penelo)

Only real part that made me laugh.

Dell
12-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Rank VII Mob Hunt - Ancient Man of Mystery.

remnant1
12-06-2006, 02:16 PM
i thought "anciant man"was the hunter hunter.if ya know what i mean

Timerk
12-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I also liked the exchange during the ending between Vaan and Penelo after Vaan impersonates Larsa.

Also, how can we forget: 'You're the one who stinks, hamshanks. Hear me now?'

Wonderful.

true_bacon22
12-07-2006, 02:50 AM
any of the funny stuff is in the backround ussaly banter between vaan and penelo

Dell
12-07-2006, 08:29 AM
i thought "anciant man"was the hunter hunter.if ya know what i mean

I've never heard of hunter hunter. :confused:

Timerk
12-07-2006, 11:45 AM
It is kinda subtle. At some point (I think after the Trickster hunt but I am not sure), Montblanc starts making comments about someone 'hunting' hunters, and tells you to be careful. During the hunt 'A Dark Rumor,' you find out who this 'hunter hunter' is, and defeat him (them).

Roto13
12-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I giggled at one part, especially.

When Balthier is fixing the Bahamut with Fran and he says something like "Fran, activate the whoo-za-whatzits" and he looks over and sees that Fran has been crushed by debris. Then he says "Must I do everything myself?" XD

Jowy
12-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Penelo: I guess this one was a success!
Vaan: I got a good feeling!

Yay for underlying jokes that 75% of everyone who's played FFXII won't get!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Basch killed Reks's elder brother!

Dell
12-07-2006, 03:49 PM

Reks's elder brother? He has an older brother?

It is kinda subtle. At some point (I think after the Trickster hunt but I am not sure), Montblanc starts making comments about someone 'hunting' hunters, and tells you to be careful. During the hunt 'A Dark Rumor,' you find out who this 'hunter hunter' is, and defeat him (them).

Hunter Stalker, right?

Timerk
12-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Hunter Stalker, right?

Maybe :greenie:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-07-2006, 03:52 PM

Reks's elder brother? He has an older brother?Check out Jowy's point being proven.

Renmiri
12-08-2006, 04:28 AM
any of the funny stuff is in the backround ussaly banter between vaan and penelo

I miss the in battle banter and the funny victory quips of X and X2. Grunts just aren't as entertaining while leveling up. Thank heaven for gambits!!!!

I don't even watch the battles anymore. All I need to do is keep moving my players every now and then and watch out for some odd status ailment :p

Zeromus_X
12-08-2006, 04:49 AM

Fran: Expel....is Expel...good?

Well, at least I tried. :cat:

Renmiri
12-08-2006, 05:20 AM
The lame Armor store at Bhujerba were even the clerks tell you it sucks ?

Reminds me of the GAP at my mall ;)

Plus that thief posting a mark is pretty funny / pathetic.

Funny how the humor is so subtle and yet the plot is told to you via megaphones < rolls eyes >

vorpal blade
12-08-2006, 09:26 AM
I've almost beaten the game (On my way to Pharos now) yet I hardly remember any of this (or the plot for that matter).

remnant1
12-08-2006, 02:06 PM

this was in ff tactics.once you finish a job your ppll will say things like this

Freya Coral
01-08-2007, 12:19 AM

Basch didn't kill Reks. Basch's evil twin brother killed both Reks and the king and framed Basch.

theundeadhero
01-08-2007, 01:20 AM
"Hey Buckethead"

Renmiri
01-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Nope Reks didn't die at Nalbina, he returned and was in a hospital where Vaan took him some flowers remember ? He died of sadness over what he saw at Nalbina AFAIK

Desert Merchant
01-08-2007, 02:56 AM
I laughed a little when Vayne told Migello that they shall drink till he calls him by name

Gabranth
01-09-2007, 01:25 AM
lmao your signature is funny

rih29
01-09-2007, 02:33 AM
Hey, bucket head!

Joshcfl08
01-11-2007, 04:23 AM
i liked when Balthier was like "I always knew Fran didnt like to be tied up or put in handcuffs" idk y lol

BustaMo
01-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Vaan getting chastized for everytime he asks Fran how old she is. Great humor there.

The beginning of the Master Swordsman hunt. What a klutz.

Baltheir saying "Must I do everything?" at the end to Fran.

cloud20747
01-11-2007, 11:05 PM

this was in ff tactics.once you finish a job your ppll will say things like this

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance to be correct

atlanteay
01-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Nope Reks didn't die at Nalbina, he returned and was in a hospital where Vaan took him some flowers remember ? He died of sadness over what he saw at Nalbina AFAIK

he did??? i thought gabranth killed him.

Renmiri
01-12-2007, 10:23 AM
No, don't you remember Vaan's flashback with the flowers ? Reks was left alive to tell all about the treason. Who would believe the Archadians story without Reks as witness ?

Jowy
01-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance to be correct

No, that's from FFT. I don't recall ever seeing that in FFTA.

Moon Rabbits
01-12-2007, 11:00 PM
FFXII has a dreary storyline that isn't really humorous. But, it does have moments that are pure genius, far more hilarious than any other Final Fantasy moments past, I think.

Also,

"Way to go, Vaan."

"That was quite rude."
Actually, that was . . .

"Nice, Vaan." (Balthier)

This was great, but how could this be the only part? Other people have listed countless things that are funny as hell. My personal favorite is Balthier's "I always knew Fran didn't like being tied up." ;)

daiyu
01-13-2007, 01:54 AM
yes fran/balthier have excellent chemistry in this game. the vaan age question is probably the funniest moment in the game.

Renmiri
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
yes fran/balthier have excellent chemistry in this game. the vaan age question is probably the funniest moment in the game.

I prefer the "Fran doesn't like to be tied up" as it is at least original. An age joke about women ? What's next, "Do I look fat in this bunny suit ?"

Humor in XII is cliche and weak, just like the storytelling :eep:

Renmiri
01-14-2007, 03:50 PM
gilgamesh was highly entertaining. xD

Gotta agree with that one. He was funny! :D

TheBanzaiKitten
01-15-2007, 06:30 PM
I only really laughed at these few things...

"Hey, buckethead!"
"I'm Captain Basch von Ronsenburg of Dalmasca!"

Rodney
02-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I finally beat the game more than a month-and-a-half ago and still found nothing really funny. But being reminded of this . . .

FFXII has a dreary storyline that isn't really humorous. But, it does have moments that are pure genius, far more hilarious than any other Final Fantasy moments past, I think.

Also,

"Way to go, Vaan."

"That was quite rude."
Actually, that was . . .

"Nice, Vaan." (Balthier)

This was great, but how could this be the only part? Other people have listed countless things that are funny as hell. My personal favorite is Balthier's "I always knew Fran didn't like being tied up." ;)
. . . made me realize I had laughed at another thing. But those were the only two things I laughed at the entire game.

Man, whatever happened to putting in the useless, bumbling cohorts to the evildoers? I don't think it's been done since IX (or maybe X-2, if you count Leblanc's cohorts), and that's a shame. The bumbling cohorts bring much-needed comedy relief.