PDA

View Full Version : Is Backwards Compatibility Important To You?

The Devil Man
12-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Ya, simple Topic.

For you, is it important that future generations of consoles are backwards compatible?

For me... yes. Yes it is.

Because I have a lot of games spread across numerous consoles. The consoles I actually have are PS2, XBox, XBox 360, GameCube, Nintendo 64, DreamCast, and some others too...

And I hate it when I have to switch consoles to play certain games. Example. I have DreamFall: The Longest Journey on the Xbox. It is a beautiful game but it isn't backwards compatible on the XBox 360 yet. So I have to pull out all the cables for the XBox 360 and plug in my ugly old XBox just to play that game and it really is a lot of hassle because of all the wiring and cabling. I'd rather just throw my XBox outta the window and play all my old XBox games on the 360.

So for me it's a big deal and I want all future consoles to hopefully be backwards compatible. Because then it would be easy to play all my old games in an instant instead of having to constantly switch consoles and mess around with wiring and cabling.

But...

More importantly...

Do YOU give a damn? :eek:

Discuss Plz.

theundeadhero
12-06-2006, 11:07 AM
With Playstation and XBox, yes. It's very important to me. With Nintendo I still own the previous systems so it really makes no difference, but I don't want to take up even more space with multiple PS and XBox systems when it's entirely possibly for them to use backwards compatability.

KentaRawr!
12-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Well, in case my older systems die out on me, I suppose having a newer substitute wouldn't hurt.

Sefie1999AD
12-06-2006, 12:35 PM
With a PS2, I definitely want the system to be backwards compatible so that I can also play PSX games with it. I also wish PC games were backwards compatible. The games of the DOS era usually don't work too well in Windows XP or so. :/

Ryth
12-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Yes, it matters to me. It is not a huge issue with me, but I like to play my old games and new ones all in one neat little system. Not have a sea of tangled wires and controllers to deal with.

Mirage
12-06-2006, 01:09 PM
With a PS2, I definitely want the system to be backwards compatible so that I can also play PSX games with it. I also wish PC games were backwards compatible. The games of the DOS era usually don't work too well in Windows XP or so. :/
You seem to be in need of DosBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/).

Also, backwards compatibility isn't all that important to me. It doesn't make or break a system, that's for sure. However, it saves space around my TV, and it's nice when the older system eventually fails (though I have a feeling my PS will last longer than my PS2 :p).

RiseToFall
12-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Definitely. I have a large collection of games and I want to bring all of those over to the new system. That way, things just won't get cluttered. Plus I get cash for my old systems that I trade in. ^_^

Tavrobel
12-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Definitely. It's a nice option to have, especially if you are trying to get into people's heads that old-school games are just as valid as new-school games. Money is also a second factor.

Ohh, I will love the day that I can play Diddy Kong Racing on the Ninetendo consoles, instead of using Emulator.

Rostum
12-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Why yes Devil Man, yes I do feel it's very important to me.

The Devil Man
12-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Why yes Devil Man, yes I do feel it's very important to me.

Great news! :monster2:

Kryton87
12-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I really don't care for Xbox, so I can't say. As for Nintendo, I'm glad that they are, but if they weren't it wouldn't change my opinion that much. Then again, that is one thing that makes it awesome... as for Playstation, I have a PSX, and I don't have a PS2. I probably won't be getting a PS3 any time soon, but considering the price of the PS3, they'd better damn well make that thing backwards compatable.

Dreddz
12-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Its easier that way, so yeah. But I have always had to keep my other console when it comes to Playstation. Until Im able to mod my PS3 Ill have to have my PS2 by its side. Which is a drag.

Mirage
12-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Definitely. It's a nice option to have, especially if you are trying to get into people's heads that old-school games are just as valid as new-school games. Money is also a second factor.

Ohh, I will love the day that I can play Diddy Kong Racing on the Ninetendo consoles, instead of using Emulator.
You know you're technically emulating it with the Wii too, right? :p

Its easier that way, so yeah. But I have always had to keep my other console when it comes to Playstation. Until Im able to mod my PS3 Ill have to have my PS2 by its side. Which is a drag.
Modded PS2 > regular PS3. ;]

Owen Macwere
12-07-2006, 06:53 AM
It'd make all life easier for me. Like I have PS2 and Xbox, I am very comfortable by playing PS1 games on PS2 console, I wish they can do that with every new console.

Slicksword45
12-08-2006, 12:21 AM
I really don't care for Xbox, so I can't say. As for Nintendo, I'm glad that they are, but if they weren't it wouldn't change my opinion that much. Then again, that is one thing that makes it awesome... as for Playstation, I have a PSX, and I don't have a PS2. I probably won't be getting a PS3 any time soon, but considering the price of the PS3, they'd better damn well make that thing backwards compatable.

It is, so don't worry.

Anyway, I love backwords compabilty.
Otherwise, I coulden't play FFIX :(

Ashley Schovitz
12-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Anyway, I love backwords compabilty.
Otherwise, I coulden't play FFIX :(

Araciel
12-08-2006, 12:39 AM
hell yeah!! and that reminds me...does the PS 3 play PS 1 games?? i read in a brochure that it plays ps2 games but it never mentioned the original system

also nintendo systems should be backwards compatible, and they did well with the gameboys, although they only went back one generation...which kinda does suck a bit but whatever

as for xbox, i don't giveaflip...there's no games worth playing that aren't new

Ashley Schovitz
12-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Yes the PS3 plays PS1 games too but all the FF games for it makes the system malfunction.

Madame Adequate
12-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Yes, it's important to me. I own a similar spread of consoles, and I don't want to have to keep the old ones hooked up.

Tavrobel
12-08-2006, 01:18 AM
You know you're technically emulating it with the Wii too, right? :p

I was assuming that you would understand it in the desktop computer sense.

Araciel
12-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Yes the PS3 plays PS1 games too but all the FF games for it makes the system malfunction.

well that sucks :(

although there are many great games for the sony family, some of the best and most dear to me are the FFs, of course!

i find it infuriating that the 360 only supports SOME of the original xbox titles

Slothy
12-08-2006, 01:19 PM

Most of the problems with them sounded pretty minor based on the list I saw, and odds are they'll be fixed in future firmware updates.

Anyway, backwards compatability is an important feature to me since you can't always count on those old systems working in the long run (I've never had a console break before, but you start to worry when some of your consoles are about 15 years old). And despite some initial issues with the PS3 backwards compatability, Sony still does it better than anyone else (though Nintendo has more than a few technical issues standing in their way).

Markus. D
12-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I wouldnt mind something that could play N64 games.

Dreddz
12-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Modded PS2 > regular PS3. ;]

The PS3 is only region free when it comes to PS3 games. Not PS1, PS2, DVD's and BD movies.

Giga Guess
12-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Backwards compatibility is the cornerstone on my decision to buy a console, or at least when to do so. So I guess it's hugely important to me.

Elite Lord Sigma
12-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I think it is, so it can let people who were too young at the time a certain console was released enjoy the games that oldbies do.

Roto13
12-12-2006, 03:33 AM
Well, it really depends on the situation. I have a PS2, a PS1, and a Game Cube. If it was an option, I'd probably buy a cheaper version of the Wii or PS3 that wasn't backwards compatible.

Yuffie514
12-12-2006, 05:08 AM
absolutely. switching and taking out consoles in those hard-to-reach places is a hassle and it would sure save some space (and quite possibly money).

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Yes it's important to me because sometimes I'm feeling nostalgic and I want to play classic games from years passed. That's why I want a Wii so badly I can hardly wait to download classic Nintendo and Sega games from the Virtual Console!:)

Shadowdust
12-13-2006, 07:33 AM
As many have said, it's a pain either switching consoles or keeping a bunch all connected at the same time. So yes, backwards compatibility is important. Fortunately most older games function well on emulators these days so I don't mind losing the compatibility of games for the PS1 on consoles.

Wild0ne
12-13-2006, 01:57 PM
I think its important, just as long as it plays the games from the last system.. Like I didnt expect PS3 to play some PS1 games but it does. Playing just PS2 games is just fine, because then I would put my PS2 in the living room so me and my friends can play and keep the PS3 in my room all for myself...;)

Kirobaito
12-17-2006, 07:03 AM
Yes. I never owned a GameCube, so the fact that GCN games can be played on the Wii will be important when stores finally get around to getting more of them. I can finally play Wind Waker and the like.

I never owned a PS1, so the fact that the PS2 is backwards compatible is a lifesaver.

So yes, backwards compatibility is very important.

Mirage
12-17-2006, 11:01 AM
That's true, it's important for those who don't have the consoles that the new consoles are compatible with :p. For those who do, it just means less machines under the TV :p.

Craig
12-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah backwards compatability is important.

Heck, I don't wanna have to connect a Gamecube and a Wii to my TV. That's just silly.

And I sure as hell don't wanna throw away all my old games once I get a new console.