PDA

View Full Version : FF novels

Ashley Schovitz
12-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Since we all love the games' stories so much do you think they could've done well as books and if they were would you buy them?

NeoCracker
12-08-2006, 12:21 AM
It's come up before. Again the Majority Shall Cry out no, no books to degrade our precious games. The point of Parasite eve going from book to game only made a 10 hour game. The book for an FF would be so massive it would make War and peace seem like a picture book.

I believe I covered the basics of the entire thread last time.

Ashley Schovitz
12-08-2006, 12:41 AM
last time?

GenjiEnkil
12-08-2006, 12:43 AM
I doubt it would go over very well, but I'd get em.

oddler
12-08-2006, 02:46 AM
As long as it's not just a retelling of a Final Fantasy that's already released, yeah, I'd check it out.

GenjiEnkil
12-09-2006, 02:43 AM
Maybe if they told the story from a certain characters point of view. Like maybe VII from Sephiroth's or Vincent's view, or maybe V from Galuf's, that way it could kinda cover everything that happened before and during the game. As long as there was some new stuff and explained some more things and did justice to the series.

Bunny
12-09-2006, 05:26 AM
I would like books that gave a comprehensive history on a character or a few characters at once. Or maybe an afterstory of what took place after the bulk of the game. Not a general retelling or a different point of view with the story, because I already know what happened.

But something that tells of, say, Locke and Rachel's relationship before and aside from what is mentioned in the book. Or really a backstory of any character in particular. Something fun to read, that's all.

I once read a 30 chapter (Prologue/Epilogue included) fanfiction that could easily become a wonderful novel or short story release. It told a story about happened after the events of Final Fantasy VI. And the author made up his own things to go along with it, incorporating each and every character and it all meshed very well with the story. It's a shame I cannnot find it anymore.

Crossblades
12-10-2006, 05:05 PM
last time?

Someone tried to make a petition for it last time and and swore that if she got enough signatures the novels will be made

Little Blue
12-10-2006, 06:08 PM
I take it she didn't get enough signatures then :p

Crossblades
12-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I take it she didn't get enough signatures then :p

Nope :p

EDIT - Found the threads where she made them

http://forums.eyesonff.com/search.php?searchid=648844

Darth Anarcus
12-10-2006, 10:38 PM
I think FF6, FF7, FF8 and FF12 would all make great novelizations. FF9 and FFX would be extremely hard to novelize, I think, given their linier they are in nature, and FFX-2 is just not worth the effort. However, you do not have to condense anything. I'm currently working on turning FF8 into a trilogy.

Not only novelizations, but I think tha each of the affore-mentioned titles could use their own expanded universes, especially FF7 and FF8. FF7 is kind of doing that now with all of the spin-offs from the Compilation media, but extend that to include novels, comics, board games, and other media in addition to spin-off games, all telling the tales of other things going in in that particular title's universe before, during and after the main game.

Final Fantasy could easily become the next Star Wars. Except it has an advantage over Star Wars in that each game is set within its own timeline, so each game gets its own EU. It'd be more of an expanded multiverse.

Wolf Kanno
12-11-2006, 05:53 AM
It might not be a bad idea, but I would need a faithful retelling with a few expansions on the world and the characters. Nothing drastic. Last thing I need is to be reading a good FFVI novel that starts off on weird sub-plot about Gau and Relm's "hidden" passions. As long as it doesn't read like fan fiction.

The bad thing would be the fact that SE would probably start with FFVII and FFX for the novels. I would prefer them to start with the Super Famicom generation.

FFIV could make a wonderful novel if they expanded on a few things.