PDA

View Full Version : I Need Metal

Nominus Experse
12-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Plain and simple: those of you who listen to Metal, list what I ought to listen to.

Bands I enjoy that are affiliated with Metal are:
Opeth
Tool
Children of Bodom
Cradle of Filth
Mastodon
In Flames
Lamb of God
Otep
Candlemass
Black Sabbath
Hatebreed
Slayer
Pantera
Trivium
Metalium

And Tool if you want to include them in the mix

So basically, I am wondering if I am missing out on a some metal bands that are considered wonderful. I adore Children of Bodom and Opeth more than anything else in terms of metal, followed closely by Candlemass.

So any suggestions?

Bunny
12-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Opeth
Tool
Children of Bodom
Cradle of Filth
Mastodon
In Flames
Lamb of God
Otep
Candlemass
Black Sabbath
Hatebreed
Slayer
Pantera
Trivium
Metalium

You already did that, sir.

I'm not the best authority on recommending music, as I tend to listen to what my friends listen to and what they say "Here, listen to this and see if you like it." I usually do.

The following may or may not exactly be "metal" but they are a few of the bands that I have been introduced to over the years and I enjoy listening to:

Pain of Salvation, Kamelot, Symphony X, Ayreon, Anathema, Dreamscape, Agalloch, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and Amorphis.

As a side, while it isn't exactly metal, you might enjoy Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Recommend strongly "Beethoven's Last Night", as all their other album as are currently Christmas-related). It's technically labelled "Rock Opera" but it's pretty fantastic if that is your thing.

Fatal Impurity
12-08-2006, 03:48 PM
how about dragonforce and 3 inches of blood they are pretty awesome

Nominus Experse
12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Opeth
Tool
Children of Bodom
Cradle of Filth
Mastodon
In Flames
Lamb of God
Otep
Candlemass
Black Sabbath
Hatebreed
Slayer
Pantera
Trivium
Metalium

You already did that, sir.

I'm not the best authority on recommending music, as I tend to listen to what my friends listen to and what they say "Here, listen to this and see if you like it." I usually do.

The following may or may not exactly be "metal" but they are a few of the bands that I have been introduced to over the years and I enjoy listening to:

Pain of Salvation, Kamelot, Symphony X, Ayreon, Anathema, Dreamscape, Agalloch, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and Amorphis.
Heh, you're absolutely correct - I did include Tool...

I've tried listening to Porcupine Tree before, but never really found it to my liking. But then again, the samples I heard were only 30 seconds long. I may have to listen for a longer time period. Perhaps I will dowload a song or two and sample them that way...

I've heard of Dreamtheater and Pain of Salvation, but the others I can't recall hearing before. I shall give these a try.

Many thanks.

EDIT:
Ah, yes, Dragonforce. Never heard of 3 Inches of Blood before, though.

Emerald Aeris
12-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Get Blackest Eyes by Porcupine Tree.

But over that I would recommend the album Mabool by Orphaned Land. Which I can probably upload if you can't find a good torrent or sommat.

JKTrix
12-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Wait, what does this have to do with videogames?

Er..... *tries to steamroll this topic into relevance*

Play Guitar Hero!

Vermachtnis
12-08-2006, 04:54 PM
You can't get any better metal than from Children of Bodom I think. Best Metal Band ever. You've got a pretty kick ass list there: Opeth, Mastadon, In Flames; all great.
\"/(><)\"/

escobert
12-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Unearth, As I lay Dying are some good bands.

I Don't Need A Name
12-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Satyricon

GenjiEnkil
12-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Dragonforce, Kalmah, Unearth, Rebel meets rebel, Shadows fall, As i lay dying, if you like CoB, check out synergy (sp?) Alexi is guitarist in that band too

Mirage
12-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Try Dimmu Borgir.

Venom
12-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Morbid Angel.:cool:

GooeyToast
12-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Moonsorrow. Can't go wrong with black viking metal. I'd recommend the album Verisakeet, or if you're looking for a good sample of their work listen to Pimea off that album.

Crushed Hope
12-08-2006, 11:03 PM
I'll recommend some death/doom for you, think Candlemass but darker, heavier, and usually with "harsh" vocals.

The albums that are in italtics you need more than anything.

First off the four classic death/doom bands that everyone must know so they can understand the roots of the style.

Anathema:
Crestfallen
Serenades
Pentecost III
The Silent Enigma
Eternity (Okay so this release isn't death/doom (well not even a metal release) but it is by FAR their best release.)

My Dying Bride:
As The Flowers Wither
Turn Lose The Swans
The Angel and the Dark River

Paradise Lost:
Gothic
Icon
Shades of God
Draconian Times

Katatonia:
Jhva Elohim Meth... the Revival
Dance of December Souls
Brave Murder Day

Now onto my personal picks for genre essentials.

Black Forest:
Sadness

Catherdal:
Forest of Equilibrium

Daylight Dies
No Reply
Idle
Dismantling Devotion

diSEMBOWELMENT
Transcendence Into The Peripheral

Evoken:
Embrace The Emptiness
Quietus
Shades of Night Descending
Antithesis Of Light

Indesinence:
Noctambulism

Morgion:
Among Majestic Ruins
Solinari
Cloaked By Ages, Crowned In Earth

Mourning Beloveth:
Dust
The Sullen Sulcus
A Murderous Circus

Novembers Doom:
Of Sculptured Ivy And Stone Flowers

Saturnus:
Paradise Belongs To You
Martyre
Veronika Decides To Die

Whispering Forest:
Of Shadows and Pale Light

NorthernChaosGod
12-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Necrophagist
Wintersun
Cannibal Corpse
Angel Corpse
Amon Amarth
Bathory
Catamenia
Death
Deicide
Immortal
Mercyful Fate
Nile
Norther
The Black Dahlia Murder

Those are a few of my personal favorites, it would seem you might enjoy them judging from what you already listen to.

I highly recommend Necrophagist though.

Mitch
12-09-2006, 01:10 AM

<3

Nominus Experse
12-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Sweet jesus... you guys rock.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Faris
12-09-2006, 02:55 AM
UneXpect
Via Mistica
Light This City
Siebenbürgen
Sinamore
Tiamat

o_O
12-09-2006, 03:44 AM
Tiamat

Like, I was going to say them. :p

If you like In Flames, try Bleeding Through's album "This is Love, This is Murder". It has well defined references to In Flames.
Arch Enemy too.

Still Remains are some kind of super-Trivium.

But more on the metalcore genre, you need to hear stuff from:
- All That Remains
- Killswitch Engage
- Underoath
- As I Lay Dying
- Ill Nino

...etc. :p

Bloodline666
12-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Personally, I'd recommend... Testament Anthrax Shadows Fall Exodus Suicidal Tendencies Forbidden Overkill Bury Your Dead Diecast The Haunted

Also, I recommend you give thrash metal a good listen (and more than just Slayer); some of the bands I mentioned above either are thrash, or have thrash influences.

Pure Strife
12-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Personally, I'd recommend... Testament Anthrax Shadows Fall Exodus Suicidal Tendencies Forbidden Overkill Bury Your Dead Diecast The Haunted

Also, I recommend you give thrash metal a good listen (and more than just Slayer); some of the bands I mentioned above either are thrash, or have thrash influences.

What he said, as well as late 80's Megadeth, and a six-piece English noisecore/death/virtuoso band called Sikth. Sikth really are amazing, check out their newest single Bland Street Bloom on youtube for a good idea of their stuff. Oh, and Death are an amazing band too.

Crushed Hope
12-09-2006, 08:04 PM

What he said, as well as late 80's Megadeth, and a six-piece English noisecore/death/virtuoso band called Sikth. Sikth really are amazing, check out their newest single Bland Street Bloom on youtube for a good idea of their stuff. Oh, and Death are an amazing band too.

Death is absolutely average.

crazybayman
12-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Chimaira.

Awesome blend of metal guitar riffs, smooth double-kickdrum beats.

Its my ultimate intensity music.

In particular, try their self titled album "Chimaira".

In particular, the following songs:
Save Ourselves
Salvation
Left For Dead
Bloodlust
Inside the Horror
Pray for All
Lazarus

Twisted Tinkerbell
12-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Arch Enemy, My Ruin, and Kittie are fantastic.

Fatal Impurity
12-11-2006, 10:53 AM
you should maybe give heaven shall burn a try they aint too bad where it comes to screamy metal lol

jrgen
12-11-2006, 12:20 PM
If you're looking for metal, it's good if you know exactly what kind of metal you're looking for. Here are some very good bands from different genres: (All worth checking out)

Swedish death metal: Bloodbath, Dismember, Unleashed, old Entombed, Nihilist, Morbid, Corpse, Grave, Ribspreader, Infestdead, Carve

Death metal: Hypocrisy, Lykathea Aflame, old Die Apolalyptischen Reiter, Atrocity, Sordid, The Firstborn, Rudra

Brutal technical death metal: Visceral Bleeding, Spawn of Possession, Nile, Behemoth, Pavor

Brutal death metal: Deranged, Insision, Vomitory, Stabwound, Wormed, Wombbath, Carbonized

Melodic death metal: Amon Amarth, Oathean, Chthonic, Dark Tranquillity

Technical melodic death metal: Anata, Intestinal Baalism

Technical metal: Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, Meshuggah, Coprofago

Symphonic metal: Therion, Haggard, Sobre Nocturne some Janus, some Lacrimosa

Symphonic death metal: Hollenthon, Dorn, Xzoriath, Waltari (Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! Death metal symphony in deep C only)

Folk metal: Månegarm, Ásmegin, Orphaned Land, Subway to Sally, Kranium, In Extremo, Letzte Instanz, Otyg

Deathgrind: Exhale, Birdflesh

Drone doom: Boris, Sunn O))), Earth

Industrial metal: The Project Hate (industrial death metal) The Amenta (industrial death), The Kovenant, Count Nosferatu Kommando, Malmonde, Laibach (Jesus Christ Superstars only), old Oomph!, Richthofen

Progressive metal: Pain of Salvation, Cronian

Progressive death/extreme metal: Dan Swanö, Edge of Sanity, Unmoored, Opeth, Dark Suns

Black metal: Wolves in the throne room, Negura Bunget, Nocte Obducta

Symphonic black metal: Dornenreich, Diabolical Masquerade, Dark Mirror Ov Tragedy

Other black metal: Thyrfing, Eisregen, Melechesh

Doom metal: Runemagick, Forest of Shadows, Funeral Orchestra, Eisenvater, Totenmond, Drecksau

Melodic doom/death: Slumber, Kimaera, My Dying Bride

Post-black metal: Dødheimsgard, Sigh

Death/thrash: Demonoid, Paganizer, Vader

Experimental/Avant-garde metal: Pan-Thy-Monium, UneXpect

EDIT: Progressive black metal: Vintersorg, Borknagar

GenjiEnkil
12-12-2006, 05:27 PM
damn, im gonna have to check some of those bands out

Moose Knight
12-16-2006, 08:42 AM
For threadstarter, listen to PAINKILLER by Judas Priest or DON'T BREAK THE OATH by Mercyful Fate.

I'll recommend some death/doom for you...
words
words
words

This 'death-doom' subgenre has little to offer except rehashed, unoriginal, easily processed fatalism. Try the so-called 'traditional doom': Reverrend Bizarre, Electric Wizard or Black Sabbath (Cathedral's frist album is also in this category). Solitude Aeturnus's early albums are overlooked classics; they speed up at times and avoid sounding introspective to the point of cheesiness like lots of other doom metal. Pagan Altar is good too but their recordings are horrible and I think they're a joke.

Crushed Hope
12-16-2006, 12:54 PM
For threadstarter, listen to PAINKILLER by Judas Priest or DON'T BREAK THE OATH by Mercyful Fate.

I'll recommend some death/doom for you...
words
words
words

This 'death-doom' subgenre has little to offer except rehashed, unoriginal, easily processed fatalism. Try the so-called 'traditional doom': Reverrend Bizarre, Electric Wizard or Black Sabbath (Cathedral's frist album is also in this category). Solitude Aeturnus's early albums are overlooked classics; they speed up at times and avoid sounding introspective to the point of cheesiness like lots of other doom metal. Pagan Altar is good too but their recordings are horrible and I think they're a joke.

Ahahahahaha.

Ahahaha.

Death-doom is hardly unoriginal and rehashed. Each band I recommened are pretty damned different from one another. You can't say that diSEMBOWELMENT sounds anything like Saturnus because that'd just be stupid, it is one of the more diverse doom subgenres to be quite honest.

Traditional doom is good yes, but to say that death-doom is "unoriginal" is just ignorant.

profskett
12-16-2006, 01:06 PM
...The following may or may not exactly be "metal" but they are a few of the bands that I have been introduced to over the years and I enjoy listening to:

As a side, while it isn't exactly metal, you might enjoy Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Recommend strongly "Beethoven's Last Night", as all their other album as are currently Christmas-related). It's technically labelled "Rock Opera" but it's pretty fantastic if that is your thing.This man has the right idea. Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Ayreon, Symphony X and Porcupine Tree are all excellent. If you like Prog-metal, of course, which, since you like Opeth and Tool, I'm assuming you do.

I would also recommend you some Nightwish and Epica (if you're open to Symphonic Metal), and Biomechanical (some good old-fashioned British Thrash... with added film score influences...). Oh, and of course Queensryche's 'Operation Mindcrime' is a classic album which is well worth a listen.

BG-57
12-16-2006, 02:12 PM
I am a complete novice when it comes to metal, but here goes:

Metallica: I really only started to pay attention to them when I saw the videos from their self-titled album, so I got that one. But I also got Reload, mainly for the song The Memory Remains. It's a great song, especially with Marianne Faithful's backup voice. While it's clearly a tribute to the demented former actress Norma Desmond in Sunset Bvd., I can't help but think of the Fayth of Anima when I listen to it.

Tool: Another good choice. Especially Undertow.

And I know this isn't metal per se, but I think Information Society might be right up your alley, Nominus. Not the well known album with the Star Trek samples, but a later album filled with dark techno music, Don't Be Afraid. Especially the demented brilliance of Ozar Midrashim, which will be instantly recognizable to anyone who has played Soul Reaver. I'd be very surprised if you didn't like it.

BTW, Don't Be Afriad is out of print, but a lot of the tracks are on a 'very best of' album for IS.

ThundagAuron
12-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Nevermore-This Godless Endeavor

That album floored me. Oh, and people have already suggested, Pain of Salvation and DT.

Zeldy
12-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Sentenced (Metal)
Charon (Gothic Metal)
The 69 Eyes (Gothic Metal)
Entwine (Gothic Metal)
Velcra (Industrial Metal)
Twilightning (Melodic Metal/Power Metal)
Nightwish (Symphonic Metal)

All finnish, naturally

escobert
12-17-2006, 09:45 PM
As I Lay Dying
Hell yeah, this band rocks.

snacks
12-18-2006, 01:21 AM
The Chariot, As the sun sets, Daughters, Norma Jean, Converge.

YOU NEED THESE.

Crushed Hope
12-18-2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif @ every post on this page.

robfinalfantasy
01-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Weird mix you have there. I suggest:
Sepultura (Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, Arise)
Dark Angel
Exhorder
Trouble
Destruction
Death
Possessed
Venom (first 3 albums)
Iron Angel
Exciter

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-03-2007, 01:39 AM
There's so many different types of metal, such a diverse genre.

Idk if you'll like 'em, but these are more mainstream, have more singing and are a bit faster.

Every Time I Die
As Cities Burn
From Autumn to Ashes
Drop Dead, Gorgeous
The Chariot
Norma Jean
Acid Bath
Gizmachi
Opeth
As I Lay Dying
Invocation of Nehek
Chiodos
Bullet For My Valentine

robfinalfantasy
01-03-2007, 01:58 AM
There's so many different types of metal, such a diverse genre.

Idk if you'll like 'em, but these are more mainstream, have more singing and are a bit faster.

Every Time I Die
As Cities Burn
From Autumn to Ashes
Drop Dead, Gorgeous
The Chariot
Norma Jean
Acid Bath
Gizmachi
Opeth
As I Lay Dying
Invocation of Nehek
Chiodos
Bullet For My ValentineMost of those bands aren't even metal. :confused:

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Yes they are, look 'em up. They don't have to be Death or Black metal to be considered metal. Most are hardcore, heavy, thrash, or emocore metal.

robfinalfantasy
01-03-2007, 02:07 AM
Yes they are, look 'em up. They don't have to be Death or Black metal to be considered metal. Most are hardcore, heavy, thrash, or emocore metal.That list is mainly made up of metalcore acts who apparently are more core than metal. I listen to thrash metal and those bands are not thrash. The only 2 metal bands you mentioned were Opeth (progressive) and Acid Bath (doom). I just checked http://www.metal-archives.com and most of the bands there aren't even in the database.

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-03-2007, 02:12 AM
What's the diff. between core and metal?

robfinalfantasy
01-03-2007, 02:30 AM
What's the diff. between core and metal?I always find it kind of hard to describe musical genres with words, but I'll try. As the name suggests, metalcore is a mix between heavy metal and hardcore therefore we get metalcore. Every metalcore band has their own balance of hardcore and metal influence in their music. Sometimes more hardcore sometimes more metal. I like to use Shadows Fall and Hatebreed as prime examples of the two different ends of metalcore. Shadows Fall mixes hardcore with some melodic death metal and thrash metal however Hatebreed is just a hardcore band with overly detuned power chords with a few metal riffs here and there. One is metal (Shadows Fall) while the other (Hatebreed) is not. However, both are metalcore. Why?, Shadows Fall clearly has more heavy metal influence than Hatebreed does. In a nutshell, hardcore (and modern hard rock) really doesn't have riffs per se more like power chords (slam a note and the let the distortion carry it out). Heavy metal on the other is riff-based (think constant one note strumming).

Some musical samples:
From Hatebreed's "The Rise of Brutality"
Hardcore with mainly power chords (no riffs) - track 2 - "Straight to Your Face"
Metal (on the verge of being thrash - midtempo though) with constant riffing - track 6 - "Another Day, Another Vendetta"

Note:I have albums from both bands.

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-03-2007, 02:42 AM
I see, in a sense. I'll look into it, thanks for the info bro

Warrior Yuna
01-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't give a sh*t if you think some of these bands aren't metal. Don't waste your breath complaining. These are all the bands I like, metal or not.

KoRn, Linkin Park (first album only), System of a Down, Godsmack, Staind, Cold, Disturbed, Chevelle, Evanescence, Seether, The Used, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Unwritten Law, NIN, Shinedown, Smile Empty Soul, Course of Nature, Saliva, Soil, Static-X, Papa Roach, Drowning Pool, 3rd Strike, AFI, CKY, Breaking Benjamin, Endo, Crossfade, Nickelback, Hinder, Taproot, Stabbing Westward, Unloco, Tool, She Wants Revenge, Twisted Method, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Bury Your Dead, Bleeding Through, Hatebreed, Chimaira, Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Pantera, Skindred, Spineshank, Devil Driver, Dope, Sworn Enemy, Cradle of Filth, SoilWork, Coal Chamber, In Flames, Shadows Fall, Fear Factory, Type O Negative, Motorgrater, Mushroomhead, Lamb of God, Arch Enemy, Otep, Lacuna Coil, Flyleaf, Nightwish, Jack Off Jill, Snake River Conspiracy, Veruca Salt, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Guns & Roses, Pink Floyd

Nominus Experse
01-03-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't give a sh*t if you think some of these bands aren't metal. Don't waste your breath complaining. These are all the bands I like, metal or not.

The only issue is that this thread is dedicated to requesting metal, most notably Death/Black/Progressive types of metal, not Punk, Pop, nor any other besides metal.

NeoCracker
01-03-2007, 11:08 AM
You can't kill the Metal. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=p3ap2gMMpFA)

I'm surprised Arucard hasn't come in to mentoin Wasp yet, or whatever it is.

Warrior Yuna
01-03-2007, 11:14 AM

The only issue is that this thread is dedicated to requesting metal, most notably Death/Black/Progressive types of metal, not Punk, Pop, nor any other besides metal.

Well, if I were to separate them, then I'd get complaints because I don't know what is metal and what isn't. Everyone has a different opinion on what's metal. I don't care about genres, I just like what I like. Apparently, I like rock and metal mostly, but to separate them is impossible for me because I don't which one is which. You can separate them if you want.

Cruise Control
01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Atreyu
Avenged Sevenfold
Dragonforce
Drowning Pool
Hatebreed
Nightwish
Slayer

If you "purists" don't consider them "metal" (Nightwish is iffy on this one), bite me.

The orchestra kid has got skills.

blim
01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Not sure how many have been mentioned (and some aren't really metal) but:

Slayer, Iron Maiden, Primus, Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Cancer, Lawnmower Deth, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, System of a down, Rollins band, Overkill, Motorhead, Exodus, White Zombie, Carcass, Wednesday 13 and loads i've forgotten

Nominus Experse
01-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Well, if I were to separate them, then I'd get complaints because I don't know what is metal and what isn't. Everyone has a different opinion on what's metal. I don't care about genres, I just like what I like. Apparently, I like rock and metal mostly, but to separate them is impossible for me because I don't which one is which. You can separate them if you want.
Fair enough

DK
01-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Can't be arsed to read all the bands already listed so I'll just name the ones I listen to that I find to be good:

Enslaved
Sigh
Nile
Moonsorrow
Borknagar
Akercoke
Hollenthon
Runic
Orphaned Land
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Wintersun

These are the only ones that fit around what you're looking for, although some of them are more folk metal. I'm only just getting into all of this metal myself, though. :monster:

Also, Trivium are a bag of :skull::skull::skull::skull:, imho. :}

Crushed Hope
01-03-2007, 03:38 PM

Opinion doesn't matter when it comes to genres, which are fact.

blim
01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Not sure i agree with you there, a number of bands either straddle different genres or defy categorization. My mate would call Tom Waits Punk. Are Primus metal? Genres are almost totally meaningless, some Napalm death is almost punk. Thats why my band do Punk, Jazz, Metal, Blues, Reggae, Whatever the hell we feel like doing

Crushed Hope
01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Not sure i agree with you there, a number of bands either straddle different genres or defy categorization. My mate would call Tom Waits Punk. Are Primus metal? Genres are almost totally meaningless, some Napalm death is almost punk. Thats why my band do Punk, Jazz, Metal, Blues, Reggae, Whatever the hell we feel like doing

No, genres are fact.

Tom Waits has worked in multiple genres, he can't be pinned down to just one but his individual albums can. Are Primus metal, not even. Napalm Death has done work in different genres their early work such as Scum is grindcore, which is a subgenre of punk, and then Enemy of the Music Business and like albums are death metal.

Nearly ANYTHING can be classified. I don't care if you agree with me or not, but genres are indeed factual.

blim
01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
You might want to tell HMV to move Primus from the metal section then.

jrgen
01-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Enslaved
Sigh
Nile
Moonsorrow
Borknagar
Akercoke
Hollenthon
Runic
Orphaned Land
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Wintersun
Those are some good bands. Particularly Orphaned Land.

Black Mage FF1
01-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Some awesome metal and metalcore bands

The Absence
All Shall Perish
All That Remains
As Blood Runs Black
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
August Burns Red
Avenged Sevenfold
The Black Dahlia Murder
Bullet For My Valentine
Bury Your Dead
Demon Hunter
Diecast
Evergreen Terrace
Haste The Day
It Dies Today
Job For A Cowboy
Killswitch Engage
Knights Of The Abyss
Misery Signals
Phoenix Mourning
Protest The Hero
Scars Of Tomorrow
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Stick To Your Guns
Trivium
The Warriors

DK
01-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Enslaved
Sigh
Nile
Moonsorrow
Borknagar
Akercoke
Hollenthon
Runic
Orphaned Land
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Wintersun

Yeah Aaron gave me a mix pack yesterday with a few bands in and Orphaned Land was one of them and they were particularly awesome. I want to get more of their albums, but don't know where to start.

Crushed Hope
01-03-2007, 08:43 PM
You might want to tell HMV to move Primus from the metal section then.

Mainstream music stores will never get things right with genres because they only go by popular (read usually wrong) views.

Enslaved
Sigh
Nile
Moonsorrow
Borknagar
Akercoke
Hollenthon
Runic
Orphaned Land
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Wintersun

Enslaved, Sigh, Moonsorrow, and Borknagar rule. I can't stand Nile, Akercocke, Orphaned Land, EToS, or Wintersun. Runic and Hollenthon are neutral.

jrgen
01-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah Aaron gave me a mix pack yesterday with a few bands in and Orphaned Land was one of them and they were particularly awesome. I want to get more of their albums, but don't know where to start.
Start with the albums Mabool and El Norra Alila which are both awesome in different ways and if you like El Norra Alila, move on to their first two albums.

@Crushed Hope: Nile is very win, and so is Hollenthon.

DK
01-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Mabool is the one I have, El Norra Alila will be the next one I get then. :monster:

NINJA_Ryu
01-03-2007, 11:41 PM
S.O.A.D.

NeoCracker
01-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Brian Posehn - Metal by Numbers (http://youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko) Is the Greatest Metal song ever.

Warrior Yuna
01-04-2007, 08:18 AM

Whatever helps make you feel superior.

NeoCracker
01-04-2007, 08:30 AM

Whats superior about that. He's right.

Look at 50 cent. He does Rap. It is defined as rap because it meats all the Criteria of Rap. You can have an opinion that he sounds like new wave, but it doesn't change the fact that he is rap. No opinion can change that fact. Mind you its crappy rap, but rap none the less.

Also, how can you handle the Garbage that is Jack of Jill?

Warrior Yuna
01-04-2007, 09:07 AM

Whats superior about that. He's right.

Look at 50 cent. He does Rap. It is defined as rap because it meats all the Criteria of Rap. You can have an opinion that he sounds like new wave, but it doesn't change the fact that he is rap. No opinion can change that fact. Mind you its crappy rap, but rap none the less.

Also, how can you handle the Garbage that is Jack of Jill?

Well, unless you wanted everyone to do a great deal of research to find out what genre every one of the bands they listed belongs in, people are going to tell you what they GUESS their genres are. It's extremely arrogant to expect everyone to know such information. That's exactly why I just listed all the bands I listen to, because I don't know what genres they all belong in, and I don't care to know. I just know some of them belong in the metal genre.

Oh, and Jack Off Jill might be an unpopular, and not particularly talented band, but I enjoy their music. If music makes me feel something, I listen to it and enjoy it. I don't care if you or anyone else doesn't understand it.

NeoCracker
01-04-2007, 09:34 AM
We don't expect you to know the Genre. But the main point is this thread is about Metal bands.

They guy wanted to know some good metal bands. To just start listing crap off is rather pointless in this case, as if he already knows its metal and who they naming them does nothing, and if he doesn't know who it is he doesn't know if its metal. That's really why the other guy got after you for doing that, I think.

Warrior Yuna
01-04-2007, 09:49 AM
And I was simply saying what I knew. The first poster asked for metal bands. I was told by someone that some of the bands I listen to are metal. I don't know which ones are which. That's why I just posted all of them. I don't listen to any pop, country, rap, or r&b bands, so it isn't like I thrown in bands that I positively knew weren't metal.

That's why this thread is more of opinion than fact. No one is going to do the research to find out if every band they listen to is 100% metal, so there will be a lot of bands stated that may not be metal. I could easily point out bands that had been mentioned (by others) that I DEFINITELY know aren't metal, but I didn't care about it enough to say.

Badge
01-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Erm Mudvayne are great. Drowning Pool are pretty ok. Bullet for my Valentine if your into that thing. How about PANTERA BABY. A7x bit of thrash for ya =D.I love statix-x atm i can't remeber what other people have said so i may just be repeating myself.

robfinalfantasy
01-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Erm Mudvayne are great. Drowning Pool are pretty ok. Bullet for my Valentine if your into that thing. How about PANTERA BABY. A7x bit of thrash for ya =D.I love statix-x atm i can't remeber what other people have said so i may just be repeating myself.A7x is not thrash metal. It's funny how people hear a new term and then start applying it randomly and recklessly.

KaintheDragoon80
01-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Darkthrone
Emperor
Immortal
Mayhem
Satyricon
All of these band's old material is greater than their new material.