PDA

View Full Version : Parents and Music

theundeadhero
12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I would say that the kind of music your parents listen to has a big effect on your life. Almost as much as the kind of music you listen to yourself. So, I have to ask you, what kind of music do your parents listen to? Both of mine listen to country. While that's not my preference, there aren't many country songs from the last twenty years that I don't know.

escobert
12-08-2006, 06:25 PM
My mom likes The Beatles and stuff of that nature and my dad is a big Pink Floyd fan also Skinner and Jethro Tull.

XxSephirothxX
My parents (rather, my dad, since he's always been into music and plays it a lot more than my mom) predominately listen to class rock, lots of alternative, and a bit of folk. I inherited these interests, and they make up a considerable portion of the music I listen to today.

Bunny
My mother used to be a big Melissa Etheridge fan. She also listened to things like Jewel and Counting Crows. She wasn't that big of a music fan though.

I listen to Pain of Salvation, Kamelot, Radiohead, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, etc.

Every person in my family prefers a different kind of style. My older brother is big on country and classic rock, my younger brother likes new music and the whole scream-o scene thing. I personally cannot stand much of any of those specific genres. Except the classic rock thing. I like some of the older bands.

I have more in common, music-wise, with my girlfriend's parents than I did with my own. :P

RoxasLeonhart
12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
IStand the music my parnets listern to cause it is country and I HATE COUNTRY .I only listern to metal.

BarelySeeAtAll
12-08-2006, 06:32 PM
my mum loves savage garden, guess what?so do i!

Jessweeee♪
12-08-2006, 06:38 PM
My mom listens to cheesy groups like Fleetwood Mac, and so many unbearable things. My dad listens to heavy metal, which I also despise. Me I listen mostly to anime/videogame soundtracks, which my parents refer to as "Japanese Crap" and they can't stand the music I listento.

Nominus Experse
12-08-2006, 06:42 PM
My parents don't listen to music. I have no idea as to why...

I Don't Need A Name
12-08-2006, 06:46 PM
mum is into boy bands etc, which is why i hate them. my dad is into Yes. Guns N Roses etc, so i like that music. they both hate the music i like! HAHA

Cruise Control
12-08-2006, 07:32 PM
My parent's like Christian music, because we all know god-fearing people go to hell if they listen to anything else.

I however, enjoy orchestral, and piano music.

Kirobaito
12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Both of my parents loved the music that I like now in the 70's. They lost interest, though, when the 80's hit, and both listen to country now. So I grew up on country, and only a few years ago discovered folk music. While I don't regularly listen to country anymore, I still have a huge respect for it.

nik0tine
12-08-2006, 07:36 PM
My mom listens to whatever CD's her verbally abusive ex-boyfriend still burns for her. My dad doesn't listen to anything, really.

NeoCracker
12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Oldies for my mom. And soft Rock, country, and Enter Sandman by Metallica.

Burtsplurt
12-08-2006, 08:10 PM
My dad likes old rock, prog and metal. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Judas Priest. Mostly inoffensive, and occassionally hilarious, rubbish. The only exception is Pink Floyd, who are absolutely atrocious.

My mum listens to pretty much anything that's poppy and easy to listen to. She likes the Lighthouse Family, and this worries me a lot.

Dreddz
12-08-2006, 08:12 PM
My dad listens to Jazz. My Mum listens to nothing.

Polaris
12-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Absolutely nothing! :lol: I started to like rock coz Sir Edeon also listened and then edn up knowing that my dad loved Led Zeppelin, AC-DC and other great bands, but only when I knew them! And he also likes Keane and Megadeth which is cool!

Breine
12-08-2006, 08:53 PM
My dad likes Eagles, Smokie, Elton John and stuff like that. My mother really likes a Danish singer called Anne Linnet, other than that I really don't know what she's in to...?

Oh, they both like a Danish singer called Kim Larsen.

Their taste really hasn't had any significant effect on me. Sure, I like Elton John, Eagles and Kim Larsen... but I don't own any CDs by them or listen to the regularly. My parents tend to dislike the music I listen to anyways.

Vermachtnis
12-08-2006, 09:00 PM
My mom is into Arena Rock and Metal and the like and that's what I'm into and I blame her for that.

My dad is into Country and some other tidbits of stuff. I like a little country, the so called "New" country more than the old stuff. They both can't stand rap I'm with them. I hate rap.

Little Blue
12-08-2006, 09:09 PM
My folks aren't really that into music, despite that I bought my dad and Electric Light Orchestra cd and my mum a The Corrs cd for christmas so I guess they must like something along those lines.

They're pretty mixed about the music I listen to. Some they like, some they don't and some they're indifferent too...

Xander
12-08-2006, 09:39 PM
My brothers kinda influenced me with music, but my parents never really listened to much, all I remember is like Sandi Shaw and Shakin Stevens, heh, I don't think they had any effect on my life or what I listened to though. My brothers made me like michael jackson I guess and queen but... again not many similarities with what we like these days. :p

Peter_20
12-08-2006, 09:55 PM
I like all kinds of music, and so I've tried introducing my parents to some new genres.

My father is a really typical fan of the 60's, so he basically loves most stuff from the 60's and dislikes the "new" stuff a lot.
My mother is more open-minded (or what the hell you Americans call it :p), and so I've managed to make her like some hard-rock songs, and even the rebellious Swedish artist Eddie Meduza.
Eddie Meduza just rocked, gotta love him. :D

FYI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Meduza

:p

Mirage
12-08-2006, 11:10 PM
My dad listens to rock, I guess. He's got quite a bit of Pink Floyd, the Eagles and the Beatles. My mother listens mostly to um, not sure... slow, relaxing stuff with female vocals.

I don't really listen to the same music as them at all.

themagicroundabout
12-08-2006, 11:14 PM
My Dad's into Level 42 and... um. I can't think of much else. Hmm.
My Mum likes stuff like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Led Zeppelin etc.

vorpal blade
12-08-2006, 11:36 PM
My mom listens to country. A lot. She also likes some classic rock.
My dad likes classic rock, jazz, folk, and many other genres from the 60's to the 80's, like some punk (Sex Pistols) but not disco.

Ilike my dad's stuff- The Who, Doors, Beatles, just about anything from the 60-s to the 80's. But I also grew up listening to my brother's radio, which played a lot of 90's rock that I also enjoy. SAnd from playing video games I obtained a liking for orchestrated classical stuff, and from anime some japanese stuff.

Ryth
12-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Mum - I have introduced her to a lot of new music she likes such as Modest Mouse, Cake, Belle And Sebastion, Radiohead, The Fiery Furnaces, The White Stripes, Bright Eyes, King Crimson, and the likes. She also likes Yes, Rush (though I found them on my own, I had borrowed her 2112 album), Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Eminem, Jack Johnson, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Queen, Guns 'N' Roses, and things like that.

Dad - He likes Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Deep Purple, AC/DC, adores The Beatles, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Bright Eyes, Jack Johnson, Modest Mouse (or at least their Moon And Antarctica album to my knowledge), Eminem, Ozzy Osburne, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jethro Tull, Queen, The Clash, The Ramones, along with a lot of folk, country, blues, gospel, and bluegrass.

*throws in his brother as well*
Pantera, Franz Ferdinand, Sex Pistols, Mindless Self Indulgence, Green Day, The Offspring (his favourite), Gorillaz, Modest Mouse, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, The Ramones, Queens Of The Stone Age, and other stuff. I introduced him to a lot of these bands.

NorthernChaosGod
12-08-2006, 11:58 PM
My Dad is very into 80's music in general, both rock and pop and whatever.

My Mom likes the same, but she's into some more mainstream music from today as well.

I got a bunch of my first rock albums from my parents. :cool:

fire_of_avalon
12-09-2006, 02:33 AM
My dad listens to the same stuff he used to listen to, and I've picked up on it. We both listen to a lot of classic rock. I'm a little more into the folksy stuff than he is, and way more into southern rock (The Allmans, Skynard, Molly Hatchet, etc.). He'll also listen to a little bluegrass, gospel, country and classic country/western. I listen to bluegrass and downhome gospel, none of the new stuff. We also agree on a few hymns.

Other than that, we're pretty far apart. He's closed minded about music, and I'm a music slut. I can enjoy something from pretty much any genre. I still wonder if that gives me really good taste in music or no taste at all. xD

Mitch
12-09-2006, 02:45 AM
My parents listen to whatever all the hip cool pot smokers are listening to these days.

No drugs for them, though.

Resha
12-09-2006, 02:04 PM
My dad has entirely influenced my music taste and I'm so glad of it. Pink Floyd, Crosby Stills & Nash, Jethro Tull. He likes Bob Dylan to a great extent too :D And Neil Young oh my god he idolises Neil Young to the point of stupidity.

He doesn't like the heavier stuff like Led Zeppelin and all, though, and that's where we're kinda different.

Agh he was a real hippy back in the day. All that's left of it now is a huge collection of vinyls, pour m'amusement.

Rusty
12-09-2006, 02:44 PM
My Mum has almost entirely influenced my music taste. With Eric Clapton, The Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac being the biggest. My Dad loved the Bee Gees and Fleetwood Mac, but the only music he listens to now is the music I play. He got me into Kylie Minogue and KC & The Sunshine Band.

Nowadays I listen to music from most any genre. But all my influences from my parents still exist.

VengefulRonin
12-09-2006, 08:09 PM
My Mum has almost entirely influenced my music taste. With Eric Clapton, The Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac being the biggest. My Dad loved the Bee Gees and Fleetwood Mac, but the only music he listens to now is the music I play. He got me into Kylie Minogue and KC & The Sunshine Band.

Nowadays I listen to music from most any genre. But all my influences from my parents still exist.

Yay! I like the BeeGees ^_^ Thats really the only group i like that i've inherited from my parents. My dad listens to everything from 40's music through 80's. He keeps up with current music a little, but not much. My mom is a psycho christian and listens exclusively to hideously sung hymns.

I listen primarily to hard rock and Jrock and industrial, and occasionally the odd band thrown in like The Darkness and uh...well some i dunno what to call, like Incubus and A Perfect Circle. Genres are too confusing.

Pike
12-09-2006, 08:37 PM
My parents listen to basically anything, as do I.

(Though, I listen to considerably more "electronica" type music than they do. But still... basically anything.)

Millia Billia
12-10-2006, 01:21 AM
My father listens to stuff like The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin...mostly old British rock and Woodstock era rock.

My mother listens to mostly Tejano music from Mexico and the United States, like La Mafia, Selena y Los Dinos, and Emilio Navaira. She also likes Cher a lot.

I listen to mostly pop and eletronica/dance/house/trance/techno/whatever you wish to call it (Area, Cascada, Daft Punk, DJ Tiesto, Aqua, Toy-Box, E-rotic, t.A.T.u, Gigi D'Agostino), but I also like a lot of rock (3rd Eye Blind, Everclear, Mindless Self Indulgence, Marilyn Manson, Flaw, Foo Fighters, Head Automatica) and some R&B (Aaliyah, Blaque, Boyz II Men, Brandy, Mariah Carey, TLC). I also listen to a tiny bit of everything else.

Not sure how that would connect my parents' musical tastes to mine. :)

El Bandito
12-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Man, I can't believe none of your parents listened to soul. I grew up on James Brown, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Aretha Franklin, and Ray Charles.

Old soul (especially Brown and Charles) still constitutes a large portion of the music on my IPod.

fantasyjunkie
12-10-2006, 03:35 AM
My parents were rockers so I grew up into a metal head :)

krissy
12-10-2006, 05:04 AM
maybe my Dad's Jean Micheal Jarre somehow influenced my liking of electronica