PDA

View Full Version : this thing gets too trashy

rubah
12-09-2006, 12:33 AM
can you not delete one item at a time from OS X's trash area? I really don't relish the idea of deleting everything at one go or having to manually drag things I don't want deleted out.

Also why does sidetrack automatically lose every change I make to it every time I restart? It's getting kinda of irritating having to reenter the settings with the default crippled state sidetrack leaves my touchpad in.

o_O
12-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Can you not do the whole Ctrl+click to select/deselect individual items?

You could use a console to do it too.

cd /path/to/trash/
rm [regular expression]

With the sidetrack thing, it's very possible that it's doing some kind of session restoration. When you restart your PC, make sure you log out using the Apple menu or wherever it is.

rubah
12-09-2006, 01:53 AM
I don't remember ever logging in :(

You can select items, but the only option from there is "Empty Trash" and "Secure Empty Trash" which I assume it does some sort of precautionary stuff with delicate data such as overwriting it with 1s and 0s or something.

o_O
12-09-2006, 02:11 AM
Can you not just select the files you want to delete and press Shift+delete, or something similar?

rubah
12-09-2006, 02:16 AM
shift-cmd-del also empties everything in the trash.

delete is backspace x.x maybe cmd fn del xD

Dr Unne
12-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Probably if you want to keep it, it shouldn't be in the trash. OS X does that kind of thinking for you, whether you agree or not.

rubah
12-10-2006, 04:34 PM
I dig stuff out of my trashcan all the time :(

Xaven
12-11-2006, 04:20 AM
I dig stuff out of my trashcan all the time :(
I eat of school trash cans all the time.

Silly OS X, trash is good.