PDA

View Full Version : Damage limit?

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-10-2006, 07:18 AM
I came across this while using Fran with Faith cast on her using elemental weaknesses and Flare. It seems like there is a damage cap of 9999 (How typical -__-; ). I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if so, is there anything you can do to actually deal more than 9999?

Zeromus_X
12-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Some special attacks (like Esper's finishing moves and Quickening Concurrences) can deal more damage than the normal cap, but yeah, normal attacks and spells can't deal more than 9,999 damage.

Mirage
12-10-2006, 07:27 AM
I find it strange that you were surprised by a damage cap of 9999. It's pretty much the standard, except for FFX and its sequel.

12-10-2006, 07:36 AM
I was hoping that it was going to be like in FF X where you can by pass the cap. I guess it was a naive hope. :/

Zeromus_X
12-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Well, with multiple hits (which katana are great at), you can essentially bypass the limit by doing multiple hits (if that makes sense). It seems to be a popular strategy for a certain superboss with HP in the eight-figure range.

Mirage
12-10-2006, 07:47 AM
I don't think it matters how high the level cap is, as long as they make it difficult enough to reach it, I guess they didn't manage to do that in FFXII though. But yeah, low damage caps typically makes speed better than raw strenght.

12-10-2006, 07:49 AM
So far it is only via magic that I can actually hit the damage limit. Normal weapon attacks do about 2k for me. Unless it is an elemental weakness then 4k. I have Vaan with daggers (w\ Bunny Ears) and Bathlier with poles, leaving Fran as my main magic user.

Nominus Experse
12-10-2006, 10:17 AM
The best way to score more than 9999 is to use a weapon that has a high hit ratio (Katanas, Ninja Blades, or Poles) in conjunction with the Gengi Gloves. Five consecutive hits of 4000 means much more than one hit of 9999. And more hits means more hits that might land a Critical.

Another tactic is to cast Reflect on your entire party, and then target yourselves with Scathe.

If all things fall into place perfectly, you are still capable of hitting for 99990 damage...

abrojtm
12-10-2006, 04:25 PM
The damage limit is 60,000--only available via Black Hole. Zodiark's "Limit" caps at 50,000.

Tavrobel
12-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Quickening chains can do up to 99999.

Kuronama
12-11-2006, 12:05 AM
I find the genji gloves along with a masamune to be a killer combo for damage dealing.

genji gloves + masamune + bravery + berserk = sick damage.

remnant1
12-11-2006, 03:01 PM
cool i have the genji shield wich i stole fromgilganesh during mob hunt.how do you get genji gloves?or any other ones?

Nominus Experse
12-11-2006, 03:13 PM
cool i have the genji shield wich i stole fromgilganesh during mob hunt.how do you get genji gloves?or any other ones?
You have to steal all of the Genji equipment from the same boss. However, you have to steal the equipment one at a time, and there are only certain moments to which you can steal the Genji equipment. The boss has certain "phases" he goes through each time you fight him, and after a set amount of "phases" in each individual fight, you are able to steal a piece of equipment from him.

If you miss a piece of Genji equipment, there is no other possible way to obtain the respective piece.

remnant1
12-11-2006, 03:17 PM
dude,you only fight him 2 times.mind explaining your aproach to me my good sir?

Nominus Experse
12-11-2006, 03:33 PM
dude,you only fight him 2 times.mind explaining your aproach to me my good sir?
Ah, yes, indeed. You do only fight him twice, but I wanted to leave that open for those that have not fought this boss yet. Meh, no matter.

As for how to obtain the equipment:

As I mentioned before, he goes through various "phases", signified by Gilgamesh pulling out one of his swords and blabbering about something or another about power etc... Another method of telling what phase he is in is to look at his life bar. For each 1/5 of the bar, he goes into another phase.

During the first three phases you are only able to steal potions and the like. However, upon him entering the 4th phase, you are able to steal a Genji Shield. Upon entering phase 5, you are able to steal a Genji Glove.

He then runs off after you defeat him the first time.

The second fight is much the same. During his 4th phase, grab a Genji Helm, and once he enters his 5th phase, grab the last piece of equipment, the Genji Armor.

The only thing I need to stress is that if Gilgamesh drops down to his 5th phase, and you were not able to grab the equipment from the 4th phase, you will never be able to obtain the 4th phase item. A good tactic is to turn your fellow characters' offensive gambits off. Once you have the piece of equipment you were trying to steal, switch their offensive gambits back on. Rinse and repeat.

Another thing to take note of is that if your character has the Thief Cuffs on while attempting to steal from Gilgamesh, it will be much, much easier. My character only missed stealing from Gilgamesh once. This is especially useful during the second fight, seeing as from time to time, Gilgamesh will basically mow one character down with repeated attacks.

There, I hope that works for you.

remnant1
12-12-2006, 02:40 PM
thank you.ill try to remember that.in return if you have any questions about somthing you dont know ill try to help.