PDA

View Full Version : Signing Posts

ljkkjlcm9
12-10-2006, 06:16 PM
SO if you know me, you know I sign every post THE JACKEL, and numerous times people have asked me why I don't put it in my signature. Well I've always believed that some people don't read sigs or user names half the time, and in fact someone proved this to me by posting somewhere else that they never would have known it was me unless I put THE JACKEL after my post

So what does everyone think about signing your posts inside the actul post, like I always do

THE JACKEL

White Raven
12-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Other than you and The Captain, I don't think anyone else does.

I always thought that the purpose of ones signature was to be the, er, signature of ones post. :p

rubah
12-10-2006, 06:30 PM
If you can't tell it's me by my posting style, then I'm not doing a good enough job.

I like that you do it though, because there needs to be *someone* who does it at a place.

rubah~

~*~Celes~*~
12-10-2006, 06:30 PM
I always look at username and sig, so it really makes no difference to me :) I think it's unique that you and The Captain do it though, so it's cool :)

Jojee
12-10-2006, 06:35 PM
I think it's kinda redundant ;)

-Jojee was here~

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
It would make searching for posts including the word 'jackal' not related to you a pain in the arse

Bunny
12-10-2006, 07:08 PM
It seems pretty silly to me.

BUNNY

Yamaneko
12-10-2006, 07:10 PM
It saves me an extra couple inches that I have to move my head to the left. Thanks!

rubah
12-10-2006, 07:11 PM
tunnel vision, yams?

[edit- or a super big monitor?]

~*~Celes~*~
12-10-2006, 07:11 PM
I don't even have to move my head...I just move my eyes =] Yay! My eyes burned some calories by moving to the left!

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't. I HAVE tried, but I eventually forgot about it. xD. :p

louby_4eva
12-10-2006, 07:14 PM
I don't know why I starting doing it. Mostly to remind people to be happy. :D :D :D Can't say I appreciate the whole 'only two people do it' thing Granted I haven't been here for about a year, but it hurts :p :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Mirage
12-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I think it's pretty silly.

~Mirage

Alive-Cat
12-10-2006, 07:47 PM
I have never understood why people do it. The only logical reason for doing it would be if the poster had no custom user title, no avatar and no signature.

You expect me to sign it now, don't you. Just you try and get the satisfaction out of me.

Alive-Man~~~~

I Took the Red Pill
12-10-2006, 07:48 PM
I have no opinion of it.

Madonna
12-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Signatures exist for a reason.

Yamaneko
12-10-2006, 07:54 PM
No they don't.

Madonna
12-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I did not say for a good reason, Yams.

Cloudane
12-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Seems a bit pointless to me

I suppose it shows that extra little bit of care and attention in one's post, but personally I'm too lazy :p

~Dessy

Roto13
12-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Imagine, having to do something different from everyone else to make your posts stand out at all. Pathetic.

Martyr
12-10-2006, 08:10 PM
I dunno.

In other forums I've seen, the sig is nothing like all the banners we have around here, so whatever little saying we have down there is just like a signed post. Or, uh, a signature.

I used to do a lot of crappy discussing on sites that are, like, nothing but EoEo *gasp!*
And there I quoted The Pumpkins:
Your Strength is My Weakness;
Your Weakness: My Hate.

And that's usually strong enough of an identifying sig, if you cast aside that my posts aren't so much factual combat but blind, raging emotion and opinion based on ficticious anecdotes.

In other news, I am incorporating a lot of spoilers in my posts these days. For no good reason.

Burtsplurt
12-10-2006, 08:11 PM
I don't really see the point in signing it by name (unless it's to annoy the people with sigs switched off... like me), but having a catchphrase is quite cool.

*Loony BoB*

XxSephirothxX
12-10-2006, 08:14 PM
I think it's a nice personal touch, though if more people did it, I'd probably find it annoying.

ljkkjlcm9
12-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Good opinions I'd say, but let me say this, before I had a custom user title, and before someone made me this snazzy sig, the only way I was even recognized as THE Jackel was the way I signed it. And in fact it's now customized that however I type jackel, capital or not, with an el or an al, it always comes out JACKEL, in fact everytime I sign it, I type el, but it comes out as al...

THE JACKEL

fire_of_avalon
12-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I never understood why you used THE JACKAL instead of your username. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you should just see if Kishi will change your username to THE JACKAL.

Shauna
12-10-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't do it. I think I tried once, adding a :love: at the end of just about all my posts, but I got bored of that after about five seconds. :D

~Shauna~

LunarWeaver
12-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I don't really feel one way or another about it. You do whatcha gotta do to keep that post quality up I 'spose. It is fun when people have catchphrases at the end like The Captain. It makes me feel uplifted and italic.

Owen Macwere
12-10-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't do that and never thought of it, but I sometimes sign my Pms, sometimes I forget. XD (My name is damn long)

~OM

Chloe.
12-10-2006, 08:53 PM
I've never done it. :bigsmile:

Chloe~

Now I have.

ljkkjlcm9
12-10-2006, 08:54 PM
well see ljkkjlcm9 is my aim name, and I'm the only person in the world who uses it, so if you search for it, anything you find is going to be me. If you search for Jackel you won't always get me, understand? but Jackel is the name of my main character in every game, with an el not al, someone made it so it always comes out al, but if you notice my sig has it as el in the lightning, the other things I edited to comply with how it comes out on this site, but I wasn't re-doing the sig for it

THE JACKEL

Faris
12-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I don't think much of it.

:cookie:

Cloudane
12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
well see ljkkjlcm9 is my aim name, and I'm the only person in the world who uses it, so if you search for it, anything you find is going to be me.

That's precicely why I moved away from that kind of practice. It's amazing what kind of dirt people could pick up on me if they googled my username, even if none of it would seem harmful there are things like discussions about my current employer that wouldn't go down so well.

ljkkjlcm9
12-10-2006, 10:31 PM
I have absolutely nothing to hide, personally

THE JACKEL

Levian
12-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I'd probably do it if I had a cooler name, like Mr. Doom.

~Mr. Doom

rubah
12-10-2006, 11:43 PM
google doesn't log IRC 8)

Frozen Phantom
12-11-2006, 12:56 AM
I do now

*Ninja Fury*

DarkLadyNyara
12-11-2006, 01:09 AM
I think it's a nice personal touch, though if more people did it, I'd probably find it annoying.

Ditto. It works well for The Jackal, mainly because I'm not even gonna try and remember ljkkjlcm9. But it also works because most people don't do it. :love:

ljkkjlcm9
12-11-2006, 01:15 AM

Ditto. It works well for The Jackal, mainly because I'm not even gonna try and remember ljkkjlcm9. But it also works because most people don't do it. :love:

well it's funny because on facebook, people have messaged me from a facebook group like, are you THE JACKEL from such and such a forum, and I tell them that I am, and they're like, wow, I never would have known if you didn't sign it that way at the end. So it makes it easier for people to find me, anywhere. If you see anything signed, THE JACKEL like that, sometimes(usually) EL then it's me and feel free to say hi!

btw darkladynyara, that's not the first place I've read that quote(in sig), and I'm quite sure it's not from some guy on gamefaqs, but good quote either way

THE JACKEL

Vincent, Thunder God
12-11-2006, 01:30 AM
I would get very tired of that very fast. My signature itself has everything I need in it, and I don't really care how many people read it.

It seems to me that people would skip over a member's repetitive post ending in the post as much as in the sig.

Rocket Edge
12-11-2006, 01:33 AM
I liked eternal essences one. I myself wouldn't use one.

-==Rocket Edge==-

The Captain
12-11-2006, 03:50 AM
The reason I usually write "Take care all" is because I geniunely do hope that every person who might happen to read anything I post does in fact take care, or be well, or find some degree of happiness or positive vibe in their day. Sort of like saying, good bye to a friend when you're done talking to them or be well when you hang up the phone after a conversation. It also, is a kind of personal touch, meaning that I write it after every post to signify that it is actually me doing it with the conscious thought of doing it, not that I'm just cutting and pasting or having someone else write it for me, but that I am in fact taking the time to post what I think and hopefully, it's worthwhile in some way, shape or form.

Hope that makes sense, more or less.

Wait for it.......

Take care all.

Yamaneko
12-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Are you sure you're not just obsessive compulsive? Like you'll break down mentally if you don't sign off on every post. Come on, we're all friends here, Cap.

The Captain
12-11-2006, 04:08 AM
Let's find out.

Nominus Experse
12-11-2006, 04:13 AM
I thought of adding such a "signature" after each post, but I was unable to think of anything creative or otherwise unique, so I did not.

And it seemed as though a few others already did such things, and it would appear a blatant copying of their personal touch.

Additionally, I believe that my post is read first, not my username or signature. I could be terribly wrong, but I would much rather have my post read and recognized y its quality rather than a simple end note or name.

As a final note, I frequently have the same style of signature, so if someone truly wished to scan for my posts, they could visually recognize it in that manner.

Martyr
12-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Let's find out.

:crying: :weep: :crying2: :O_O:

that blew my mind

I'm obsessive compulsive, apparently.

Rusty
12-11-2006, 05:14 AM
The Captain makes me feel as though he really does care. Although, I don't see the point of signing off with your name. Get a catchy catchphrase, or something.

ljkkjlcm9
12-11-2006, 07:13 AM
because THE JACKEL isn't my name in any way shape or form. I have nothing in my name even related to the word JACKEL, yet I sign every post JACKEL. It's my villian name to keep my real name a secret! And villians always like to take credit for their work and leave a "calling card" like the joker leaving a joker card.

THE JACKEL

Meat Puppet
12-11-2006, 07:16 AM
I think it’s great!

:D

Rusty
12-11-2006, 07:39 AM
That grin is oddly disturbing MP.

Christmas
12-11-2006, 10:19 AM
You are right, there are people here (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=98412) that disable sigs and so we must make sure they see SOMETHING RELATED TO SIGS TO PISS THEM OFF. :mad2:

THE HATER

Araciel
12-11-2006, 10:22 AM
hey that's true isn't it!?!?
guess i'll give it a shot

-you've been listening to the quiet storm with james thunder

blackmage_nuke
12-11-2006, 11:08 AM
It's easier to express how I feel in my sig even though it usually is not read

Have a nice day!!