PDA

View Full Version : Jazz anyone?

VengefulRonin
12-10-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm lookin to expand my music collection a bit more, and i was considering jazz. So does anyone here have any good jazz musicians or groups they'd like to recommend?

krissy
12-11-2006, 12:25 AM
miles davis

john coltrane
http://www.michalevy.com/gs_download.html

dizzy gillespie

The Captain
12-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Those are all good.

I'd also add: anything by Charlie Parker, Count Basie, Buddy Rich, and Duke Ellington.

Take care all.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Yes, I love jazz; not as much as progressive jazz (or progressive rock) but I do love jazz nevertheless.

Jazz

Rahsaan Roland Kirk is a great improviser; he plays great jazz flute and can also play several jazz instruments at once, like three tenor saxaphones at once. He can even hum/sing along as he plays the flute. (Yes, I'm serious!) Song suggestions: "Serenade to a Cuckoo," "Bright Moments Song," "Theme for Eulipions," "You'll Never get to Heaven," "We Free Kings."

If you want a really impressive jam, go with "You'll Never get to Heaven. "We Free Kings" is good for Christmas-themed jazz. "Theme for Eulipions" is quieter and has a narrative. "Serenade to a Cuckoo" or "A Laugh for Rory" are good examples of his flute playing.

If you like extended improvised instrumentals like I do, try Johnny Coltrane. His fast-paced, exciting rendition of Summertime (among other great songs) on the album "My Favourite Things" is of mention.

If smooth, stylish soloing is your style, check out Oscar Peterson and his skilled jazz band. Samba de Orfeu really stand out for me.

Jazz Fusion/ Progressive Jazz

I buy a lot of prog rock, but only lately have I explored jazz fusion or progessive jazz. The following albums I have tried and highly reccomend.

Frank Zappa: Hot Rats Truly the best Zappa album ever, and that's a huge statement considering this man has made over 60 studio albums ranging from rock to jazz, blues to fully orchetra-fueled classical, and beyond. A blending of a shortlived new band of hand-picked musicians, some of his most solid compositions, and the usual Zappa wierdness makes this beautiful result.

Frank Zappa: the Grand Wazoo His second best and almost as good as Hot Rats. It even has a band the size of a small orchestra; he was going for the "Big Band" style on this one.

King Crimson: Lizard A band that began by integrating orchestral and jazz motifs and later fell into heavliy guitar-orientated, experimental rock. Roughly between the two periods the band made their magnum opus, Lizard. At this point they weren't integrating jazz into rock; they were pioneering jazz rock. This album sounds more like jazz rock than half the rest of the genre put together. Highly reccomended, but also highly expiremental at points.

Return to Forever: Romantic Warrior While standard jazz still held reign, Miles Davis started re-inventing the genre with new electric instruments. The result? Utter chaos caused by two crazily experimental albums. But from his new jazz rock band came Chick Corea, a pianist to rival rock keyboard wizards such as Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman and George Duke. His new band, Return to Forever, changed many times througout their varied discography, but this is seen as their masterpeice, an interesting blend of relaxing jazz rock, excellent musicianship, and sci-fi elements rendered by newfound synthesizers.

All of these bands and artists are worth checking out.

VengefulRonin
12-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Hmm, so far John Coltrane is my fav, and Frank Zappa's pretty good too ^_^

Ryth
12-11-2006, 12:58 AM
King Crimson: Lizard A band that began by integrating orchestral and jazz motifs and later fell into heavliy guitar-orientated, experimental rock. Roughly between the two periods the band made their magnum opus, Lizard. At this point they weren't integrating jazz into rock; they were pioneering jazz rock. This album sounds more like jazz rock than half the rest of the genre put together. Highly reccomended, but also highly expiremental at points.

Yes.