PDA

View Full Version : Sword or Esper?

Goldenboko
12-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Did you get the Ragnarok Sword or Esper? I got the sword, cause I can get Ultima from the Paladin Sheild, and I'd never Morph anyway. Plus its stat increases make my ultimate strategy work better.

Oh, and in case you where wondering here's my ultimate strategy (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=2023717#post2023717)

Zeromus_X
12-11-2006, 03:38 AM
I normally pick the Esper because I'm lazy. It makes my day to get a free Economizer from a Brachosaur instead of waiting for it to drop one.

But someday, I'll actually go through with it and get the Paladin's Shield.

Jowy
12-11-2006, 03:55 AM
I don't have the patience to get the Paladin Shield unless I'm abusing fast-forward on an emulator.

Always the Esper. I like Metamorphing stuff too.

Vermachtnis
12-11-2006, 04:03 AM
Esper, cause I like having them. Plus turning monsters into something useful is good.

Wild0ne
12-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Esper...I like to have all the espers in my collection...Plus the sword I always go and get the Illumia and that sword drains all your MP. If only it did the same damage without draining your MP...

Flying Mullet
12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I usually get the sword because there's not much good stuff that you can Metamorph (http://figarocastle.homemade-websites.com/ff6/metamorph.php). Then again, sometimes I pick the esper for a different style playthrough.

ljkkjlcm9
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I prefer the sword, because the esper ends up being useless. If you're going for a "perfect" game, the sword is the correct choice because having the esper doesn't give you anything you can't obtain otherwise.

THE JACKEL

Bunny
12-11-2006, 02:27 PM
I normally pick the Esper because I'm lazy. It makes my day to get a free Economizer from a Brachosaur instead of waiting for it to drop one.

But someday, I'll actually go through with it and get the Paladin's Shield.

This is my exact answer word for word.

Crossblades
12-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Sword so I can trade it at the Colisseum for an even better sword, the Illumina

abrojtm
12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
I always get the Esper, just for completion's sake.

Lynx
12-11-2006, 07:50 PM
the esper because i dont really need the sword or the illumina.
Locke uses atma weapon
mog uses pearl lance i belive
shadow uses gladius i belive
gogo uses scimitar or sky render i belive

whatever it is everyone ends up hitting at 9999 anyways. i get the esper so i can get ultima even quicker then going through the annoyance or changeing the cursed shield into the paladin shield.

Tavrobel
12-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Sword so I can trade it at the Colisseum for an even better sword, the Illumina

Roto13
12-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Esper. I rarely use swords.

theundeadhero
12-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I take the sword. I never summon espers in the game, but I usually go through the colliseum and get a few merit awards, so it's useful having a strong weapon. Ultima (or really magic in general) isn't really important in this game to me. As soon as I get the cursed shield I equip it on Sabin with a ribbon and then continue on with the game until it's uncursed, but afterwards I never really shoot for teaching people magic off it. It's just a high quality shield.

Bolivar
12-11-2006, 11:59 PM
the sword, it helps from the time you can get it to the end of the game, the characters i have using magic don't really need ultima, i don't even bother getting the paladin shield.

The Unknown Guru
01-01-2007, 01:52 AM
I went with the Esper, as I really don't need the sword that much and it's a lot more convenient than the Paladin Shield.

Xurts
01-03-2007, 03:51 AM
I took the Esper. Getting the Paladin Shield is too much work.

Crossblades
01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I took the Esper. Getting the Paladin Shield is too much work.

Well, it's easier than doing the "Dodge the 200 Lightning Bolts in a row" Quest from FF X:p

Ichimonji
01-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Esper. It's a lot more satisfying for 100% completion to see a shiny new Esper on the board as well as the magic: Ultima.

ljkkjlcm9
01-03-2007, 07:29 PM
it's funny how people say the Esper gives 100% completion when in fact it adds nothing to the game you can't get otherwise.

THE JACKEL

BG-57
01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Esper.

eurotrash
01-03-2007, 10:03 PM
sword
hitting the tyrano forest to grind for magic points/exp/items/256 fights for the pally shield. it really doesnt take that long, ive done it a few times on the snes.
i get the shield for the stats and resistances, i dont use ultima anyways

Roto13
01-04-2007, 03:29 AM
it's funny how people say the Esper gives 100% completion when in fact it adds nothing to the game you can't get otherwise.

THE JACKAL

What other way can you get the Ragnarok summon?

BustaMo
01-04-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm at the end of FFVI now and I took it as teh sword because equiped with Gauntlet it hits for 510 Attack Power. I never use Espers in FFVI, so I'll take the Ultima spell that Ragnarok would have taught me and learn it from teh Palidan Shield instead.

I took the Weapon.

ljkkjlcm9
01-04-2007, 03:48 AM

THE JACKAL

but what is the purpose of the esper... to teach you Ultima. And you can get Ultima otherwise. The esper itself, is nothing special. For the most part summons are not significant in this game. There are a few good ones, but Ragnarok is not one of them.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
01-04-2007, 04:48 AM

THE JACKAL

but what is the purpose of the esper... to teach you Ultima. And you can get Ultima otherwise. The esper itself, is nothing special. For the most part summons are not significant in this game. There are a few good ones, but Ragnarok is not one of them.

THE JACKAL

Sure, but there's no other way to get the summon than with the magicite, whether it's good or not.

ljkkjlcm9
01-04-2007, 05:20 AM

THE JACKAL

THE JACKAL

Sure, but there's no other way to get the summon than with the magicite, whether it's good or not.

There is no other way to get the ragnarok sword or illumina

THE JACKEL

Roto13
01-04-2007, 06:27 AM

THE JACKAL

THE JACKAL

There is no other way to get the ragnarok sword or illumina

THE JACKAL
That's not the point.

it adds nothing to the game you can't get otherwise

Prancing Mad
01-04-2007, 12:20 PM
ahhh the eternal question

theundeadhero
01-04-2007, 04:13 PM
You can steal the sword from one of the Goddess statues in Kefka's Tower. Isn't all this common knowledge by now?

Roto13
01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
You can steal the sword from one of the Goddess statues in Kefka's Tower. Isn't all this common knowledge by now?
Oh, right. :P

Flying Mullet
01-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Close, but no cigar. You can steal a Ragnorak from Girl on stage 3 of the final battle.

The three "statues" items to steal are:
Doom - Saftey Bit
Goddess - Minerva
Poltergeist - Red Jacket

Psychotic
01-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Esper. I'm lazy and I want my Ultima spam right here, right now.

ljkkjlcm9
01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes you can steal it during the Final Battle but then it's not really useful.

Honestly, the esper is a waste, you gain nothing from it, while Illumina is clearly the best weapon in the game, and I think anyone with a merit award(maybe a select few) can equip it

THE JACKEL

Goldenboko
01-04-2007, 10:36 PM
I'd just like to point out that getting the Paladin Shield actually isn't that difficult. If you go to the island where you start off in the beginning of the game and fight them the monsters literally kill themselves, (they have less then 3 Hp, and every turn they lose 3 Hp) so if you put a rubber band on the X button, and press up and down on the controller you'll begin to win battles, browse on the internet for awhile/do homework/read a book for a while and voila, Paladin Shield.

PS- You actually need to win 256 battles to obtain the Paladin Shield.

Evastio
01-05-2007, 04:49 AM
I always go for the Ragnarok Esper. Not having all the Espers possible feels wrong.

blackmage_nuke
01-05-2007, 06:56 AM
I'd just like to point out that getting the Paladin Shield actually isn't that difficult. If you go to the island where you start off in the beginning of the game and fight them the monsters literally kill themselves, (they have less then 3 Hp, and every turn they lose 3 Hp) so if you put a rubber band on the X button, and press up and down on the controller you'll begin to win battles, browse on the internet for awhile/do homework/read a book for a while and voila, Paladin Shield.

PS- You actually need to win 256 battles to obtain the Paladin Shield.

I have a mental image of you sitting at a table with a pencil in one hand and a controller in the other pressing the up and down buttons and a cup of coffee on the table while you have a bunch of papers infront of you
And I just feel guilty about destroying magicite to get a sword. It's kinda like what kefka was doing with destroying the espers for the powers.

-