PDA

View Full Version : The Tools of Satan

Dr Unne
12-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Can you see people's signatures? Or do you have them disabled, like any decent person should?

I have them disabled. I remember when we first got the option at this message board to disable viewing signatures. That was, without any hint of exaggeration, the happiest day of my life. Nowadays when I click on people's usernames to view their profiles, and I see a signature there, it's like a score of tiny red-hot needles stabbing into my eyes.

I keep my signature around now for historical reasons. I always used to have this fear that a staff member could change my signature to something evil and I wouldn't notice for a month because I never see it anyways. That's just one of the many evils that can be accomplished via signatures. These days I take precautions against such an eventuality.

To disable signature viewing, you can follow these steps:

1) Click on User CP, at the top of every page.
2) Click on Edit Options.
3) Scroll down to find the section called "Visible Post Elements". UN-check the "Show Signatures" check box.
4) Click on the Save Changes button.

Please share ways in which signatures have ruined your life, as they have come so close to ruining mine on so many occasions.

Madonna
12-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Due to excessive signature viewing, I temporarily went blind yesterday, unable to see Chemical's pink chocobos.

LunarWeaver
12-11-2006, 05:31 AM
I like sigs :jess:. But sometimes when I am scrolling up or down a page with the mouse in the middle, I will accidentally click on one that is a link to god knows where land and that kind of makes me the opposite of happy. Although, I guess that's my fault for not having control over my clicking.

black orb
12-11-2006, 05:35 AM
>>> I like signatures, some of them are very amusing.. and sometimes I go to the sites linked there..

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Rod Vasquez used to put his signature inside each of his posts. Those were wild times.

black orb
12-11-2006, 05:46 AM
>>> oh you saying those things again Kishi..

XxSephirothxX
12-11-2006, 05:57 AM
I view them because I am vain enough to enjoy looking at mine all the time, and there are other images I enjoy viewing, as well. I just look over the majority of them once I become familiar with them. Still, I think the signature/avatar theme adds a good deal to a person's identity, and that's something you'd miss out on by having them disabled.

Avarice-ness
12-11-2006, 06:06 AM
It's people like you that are unable to see why Proto should be getting Usernotes for Christmas. You should all be ashamed. :(

Chemical
12-11-2006, 06:40 AM
A signature is like a personal fashion accesory and I'm a sucker for a nice pair of shoes.

DarkLadyNyara
12-11-2006, 06:47 AM
I like sigs, provided they don't go overboard. And some are just great. DMKA's Aeris sig, for example. :D I would hate to miss out on the wonderful siggy's some people come up with.

Little Blue
12-11-2006, 06:49 AM
I view them because I am vain enough to enjoy looking at mine all the time, and there are other images I enjoy viewing, as well. I just look over the majority of them once I become familiar with them. Still, I think the signature/avatar theme adds a good deal to a person's identity, and that's something you'd miss out on by having them disabled.

I'm vain too :D Plus I have a link in my sig I keep forgetting to bookmark so it helps me find the site if I just click in my sig...

Araciel
12-11-2006, 06:58 AM
i enjoy looking at some of the cool and amusing imagery...mine is always boring

Yamaneko
12-11-2006, 07:08 AM
*decent*

Bunny
12-11-2006, 07:09 AM
What's signatures, precious?

Meat Puppet
12-11-2006, 07:21 AM
I browse with signatures hidden, because it saves me much more time.

I am not troubled when I see signatures in profiles, though.

Leeza
12-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Yep. Also, I lot of my sigs are your artwork, Dr Unne and I like seeing it. :)

Reles
12-11-2006, 08:31 AM
I think everyone has beautiful sigs~ :)

In any case, who wouldn't want to look at Alexis Bledel anyway?

Rye
12-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I like looking at my own sig because, as Azar put it, I'm vain like that. :p

Xander
12-11-2006, 11:28 AM
I view them because I am vain enough to enjoy looking at mine all the time, and there are other images I enjoy viewing, as well. :D

Loony BoB
12-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Makes me wonder why Unne has a sig when he doesn't think people should be viewing them. If anything, his sig should detail his instructions mentioned in the first post of this thread. *nod*

I like sigs, so I look at 'em. Shlup's (now old) one never got old.

escobert
12-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Sigs are fun! :D

sephirothishere
12-11-2006, 01:20 PM
yup...some of them are amusing...soem of them are impressive...and mine is jus the smexieismnist.....

Burtsplurt
12-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Only grumpy old people have them switched off. It's just a pity that I'm one of them.

Now I'm wondering if I still have a signature from the days when I didn't have them switched off. Time to investigate.

edczxcvbnm
12-11-2006, 06:00 PM
I have them on because they light up my life. Tacos rule!

Chloe.
12-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Sig's rock! :bigsmile:

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I'll remember to do this when I'm in public

fire_of_avalon
12-11-2006, 06:39 PM
I keep them turned on for amusement/identification/impression purposes. Sometimes you can learn a lot about someone by what they choose to express themselves with.

Timerk
12-11-2006, 06:50 PM
I used to hate animated sigs.

I resented the fact my ye olde computer used to get slowed down by 5 second clips from Family Guy.

fire_of_avalon
12-11-2006, 07:03 PM
What the hell?! I had this whole explanation included in my post up there and it went away. Now I am sad.

Jojee
12-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Signatures crippled my mother and killed my child ;_;

I should change my sig and av and actually... well, make one. But I'm lazy atm, and who can resist the cute kitty ^.^

Dr Unne
12-11-2006, 10:46 PM
OK, who gave me a Satanic signature?

BardTard
12-11-2006, 10:48 PM
I keep them turned on for amusement/identification/impression purposes. Sometimes you can learn a lot about someone by what they choose to express themselves with.

Yeah. That about sums up what I was gonna say. lol

rubah
12-11-2006, 11:03 PM
I use sigs to discern who is posting. I also like to use them to display pretty picture of stu because he is very pretty.

*edits unne's sig*

mooglebunni608
12-11-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm so concieted, I just HAVE to see my own signature EVERY day. And I also like looking at other peoples' ^_^

Vivisteiner
12-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Sigs can be amusing. You have DarkladyNyara talking about setting people on fire, and Duality talking about proving Santa exists...What more do you want?

Personally, I dont have the time/commitment/brains/life to make a sig.

Vermachtnis
12-11-2006, 11:28 PM
I like peoples signatures, mostly the funny one.

Madame Adequate
12-12-2006, 12:02 AM
I like peoples signatures, mostly the funny one.

Tomo and Osaka scaring Chiyo will never get old.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-12-2006, 12:48 AM
OK, who gave me a Satanic signature?Hello, darling.

Denmark
12-12-2006, 01:15 AM
I take pleasure in viewing everyone else's signature and thinking to myself how much better they are than mine. it seems I like to cry, and I'm masochistic.

Quindiana Jones
12-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Tool of Satan = Bible.

I hate sigs. Hate them hate them hate them. But I also love them lots.

Peegee
12-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Dr Unne, I think this is a good time to tell you that you are lucky you aren't looking at my signature.

Jess
12-12-2006, 05:04 PM
I like signatures as long as they aren't huge, especially the pretty ones. :jess:

Captain Maxx Power
12-12-2006, 05:31 PM
If you don't have a signature you don't have a soul.

starseeker
12-12-2006, 06:09 PM
I find signatures vital for identifying people if I'm skimming a thread.

Quindiana Jones
12-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Does mine help identify me? :O_O:

StarlightAngel
12-13-2006, 12:04 AM
I like seeing peoples' signatures. It also helps me to identify them.

Flying Mullet
12-19-2006, 06:05 PM
I've been browsing these forums for a little over a week now with signatures disabled (after reading this thread and deciding to try it out) and I must say, it is actually quite lovely.

Plus, when you have your forums settings set to 100 posts per page it makes page loading much quicker since you don't have to wait for all of the signatures to load.

Alive-Cat
12-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I lost mine a couple of weeks ago. I was standing at the station. I took my eyes off it for a second and it was just gone. I asked everyone I saw, and nobody had seen it. I looked everywhere. I don't know where it went. I went to the station every day for months afterwards and sat.
For a while I experienced a great depression, I lost reason to go on. Eventually I decided that I could move on, if I let myself. It took time and a lot of therapy, but I've managed to do it. I'd like to thank Jesus, my mom and William Shatner. I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Dr Unne
12-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I've been browsing these forums for a little over a week now with signatures disabled (after reading this thread and deciding to try it out) and I must say, it is actually quite lovely.

Plus, when you have your forums settings set to 100 posts per page it makes page loading much quicker since you don't have to wait for all of the signatures to load.

If even one person has been brought into the Light by this thread, it has not been in vain. *wipes away a tear*

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
So I've been using the forums without signatures for about a week and for some strange reason I feel a whole lot better whenever I'm online. There's probably a lot of signatures I might find annoying and rather not see and now I don't have to. I think I may keep this set-up