PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek

Araciel
12-11-2006, 12:31 PM
hey all

probably already been done before but ..

who likes star trek?? and if so which series/movies/episodes/characters did you like the most??

jrgen
12-11-2006, 01:34 PM
I love Star Trek. It's in a class of its own when it comes to science fiction. My favourite series is TNG and I've seen pretty much all episodes. TOS is a true classic that you just can't not love and Voyager was quite good too. I have unfortunately not seen any DS9 or Enterprise yet. Some of the movies were good, some less so. I think the concept of Star Trek is more appopriate for series than movies.

*~Angel Wing~*
12-11-2006, 01:52 PM
My Dad and my cousin LOVE Star Trek. :rolleyes2 I'll watch it if my Dad has it on. :p

Rocket Edge
12-11-2006, 01:55 PM
I never watched a full episode of Star Trek until a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't too bad, i might make myself take to watching the first series.

escobert
12-11-2006, 02:01 PM
The originals rock the rest suck imo.

jrgen
12-11-2006, 02:04 PM
The originals rock the rest suck imo.
How can you say TNG sucks? It's much more philosophical and political than the other series and it encompasses all the aspects that make Star Trek so great. It also had the most interesting crew.

escobert
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
I dunno, I've never beena star trek fan but the originals I can stand to watch and actually do enjoy most episodes. However anything after that I just don't get into. I find them borring and wannabes of the first.

Little Blue
12-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm a huge star trek fan! Unfortunately my answer to your question may seem highly convoluted :p

My favourite series really depends on which aspect of the series. I love Voyager because of the situation they're in, I adore the majority of DS9, mainly cos we get to see a darker side of Starfleet that is rarely developed. TOS is superb because of things I cannot quite put into words, but the characters are great. TNG however I find quite mediocre, though it did have its high points. And Enterprise should be burned at the stake for the amount of continuity it broke.

As for movies, I highly subscribe to Insurrection. Nemesis was just a Wrath of Khan impostor, though I do admire the graphics in it, it still loses cos Data's death sucks compared to Spock's. The Wrath of Khan is possibly the next greatest, along with Undiscovered Country. The Motion Picture, Search for Spock, Final Frontier, Generations all suck imho. They're feel drawn out. Voyage Home rocked too, and is up there with Insurrection.

At the moment, my favourite ever episode is In The Pale Moonlight. One of DS9's season 6 episodes which brought the Romulans into the Dominion War.

As for characters, I must say three I call the "Holy Trinity" (Kirk, Spock and McCoy) are my all time favourites. The humour and sense of fellowship that bond the three are just... wow. Next is Scotty, who I feel is one of the most underrated characters ever. La Forge and O'Brian are wonderful characters too. The sense of confidence I feel portrayed is much more convincing than the remaining, unmentioned engineers. Picard also is a must for favourite character, again, stemming from the sense of confidence Patrick Stewart gives the character, more so in the movies than in TNG. I do like Sisko for a short while, but at the start of DS9 he feels too "green" I guess would be the phrase, and towards the end, in season 7 after he discovers his mother is a prophet he grew way to fanatical about the prophets and bajorans for my tastes...

hehe, it seems most I can talk about is DS9, but since I watched every episode of that on DVD a few months ago while saving to buy some other Star Treks, I can't help it.

However, I will admit that star trek does have some major failings. It is often patchy on development, both character and storywise, and focuses far too much on the technobable instead of doing decent shows. Stargate in some respects is better than star trek, but that has its own failings that I can't remember right now. Farscape however, I would say it supersedes them both. It has a superb mix of technobable and development, though the mega long story archs can be very intimidating, and the sheer alienness of some characters off putting.

Nominus Experse
12-11-2006, 02:45 PM
I loathe Star Trek, but I do recall feeling attracted to that one bionic woman. You know, as much as a 12 year old boy can feel "attracted" to a 30 or so year old ex-borg while watching Star Trek with his father...

jrgen
12-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I loathe Star Trek, but I do recall feeling attracted to that one bionic woman. You know, as much as a 12 year old boy can feel "attracted" to a 30 or so year old ex-borg while watching Star Trek with his father...
I suppose your lack of appreciation for Star Trek might have to do with the fact that you were 12 when you watched it. Voyager might in some ways be suitable for children, but TOS and TNG are certainly not.

Spatvark
12-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah, Voyager was pretty much the dumbed down Star Trek. Ensign Ro though, now she was hot.

Jebus
12-12-2006, 03:25 AM
I wouldn't exactly say dumbed down, as Voyager was the series with the most Technobabble.

Anyway, DS9 was probably my favorite series, followed closely by TNG. DS9 was great because of all the political maneuvering and shifting loyalties and the religious undertones. Plus it had a nice amount of comedy put into it with Quark, and in some cases, Worf. *nods*

Zeromus_X
12-12-2006, 03:31 AM
I really like TNG. I could never get into the other series. :cat:

Samuraid
12-12-2006, 03:54 AM
I liked TNG and some of the good DS9 episodes...other than that, I didn't care for the rest of it.

XxSephirothxX
12-12-2006, 04:07 AM
The Next Generation was a great show. I haven't watched a ton of any of the other series, though I've seen plenty of the original. I love Shatner, but The Next Generation was much better as a show. Star Trek II-IV were fantastic, though. <3

Captain Maxx Power
12-12-2006, 01:31 PM
I enjoy TOS, TNG and Voyager a lot. I'd say avoid Enterprise if you can, it really lost something in the translation (and not just Warp six and above). I've never actually seen a full DS9 episode, there's something about it that seems too...deep for me. I like my Star Trek morally one way or the other and obvious in it's references.

Emerald Aeris
12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
TNG obviously wins. Yeah, Voyager was crappy, but I watch it just for the Doctor. I mean seriously, he is awesome.

Jebus
12-12-2006, 06:11 PM
TNG obviously wins. Yeah, Voyager was crappy, but I watch it just for the Doctor. I mean seriously, he is awesome.

Yeah, the Doctor is much love. He's the main reason I watched Voyager. Well, him and the Borg. Anything involving Borg = <3 in my book.

Burtsplurt
12-12-2006, 06:27 PM
I love Star Trek: TNG. I think a lot of people criticise it because it's very goody-goody. There aren't any particularly flawed characters, and only on rare occassions does it get dark. Usually I dislike that, but I love it in TNG. It's got this wholly positive view of the future and humanity. Even the darker episodes (like 'The Lower Decks') are hopeful.

It's got great characters as well. Data's character progression throughout the series is a joy. Picard gradually moves away from all-out diplomacy, particularly after his encounter with the Borg. La Forge is the nicest guy ever, and so enthusiastic.

I just get absorbed in it.

Darth Anarcus
12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
The Wrath of Kahn was the best ever as far as Star Trek movies go.

Jean Luc Picard is one of my favorite fictional characters, and Patrick Stewart is my all-time favorite actor.

StarChild
12-12-2006, 07:19 PM
My roommate and I always have this disscussion about which Star Trek series is our favorites, we are big Trekkies. I personally like TNG, because I grew up watching that, as the series started in 1987, and I was all of three years old. I literally grew up watching it.

Yew-Yevon
12-12-2006, 07:33 PM
I like it enough that I own STV Eliet Force, Eliet force 2, and Brige Comander. Honestly ppl dont give these games enough credit just because of the refrence.

Little Blue
12-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I like it enough that I own STV Eliet Force, Eliet force 2, and Brige Comander. Honestly ppl dont give these games enough credit just because of the refrence.

Bridge Commander is a sweet game, one of my favourites possibly. I've not really tried the Elite Force's cos they're first person shooters and I generally don't like fps games. The two Armada games are fun too I find...

Spatvark
12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahn!

What I meant by Voyager being dumbed down was in relation to the characters and actual storylines; whilst you're right that they actually upped the technobabble, they ditched any actual overtures towards something deeper than popcorn television. Technobabble just excused bad Deus ex Machina. As for the Borg, just like in Enterprise, they were solely written in to try and save the series from going kaput. Whilst it managed to prolong Voyager's life for a good few series, it did next to nothing for Enterprise, especially since fans were still narked over Voyager.

jrgen
12-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Technobabble just excused bad Deus ex Machina.
Exactly. What made TNG and TOS good is that every episode presented a new philosophical thought or complex political relations. Voyager was often just another TV-series revolving around its characters rather than intelligent plots.

Emerald Aeris
12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
It's got great characters as well. Data's character progression throughout the series is a joy.

I just love scanning for life forms! Life forms! You pretty little life forms! You precious little life forms! Where! Are! You!

Little Blue
12-12-2006, 11:22 PM
It's got great characters as well. Data's character progression throughout the series is a joy.

I just love scanning for life forms! Life forms! You pretty little life forms! You precious little life forms! Where! Are! You!

lol! That was the second best part of Generations imo. The best was at the start with the TOS leftovers on the Enterprise B.

Yuki_Snowcraft
12-13-2006, 02:32 AM
TNG is indeed the best series! Episodes with Data/Geordi in them always make me the happiest, while episodes with Troi are often annoying.

TNG is considered by many to be the golden age of Star Trek!

Madame Adequate
12-13-2006, 02:38 AM
Star Trek is fun, but let's not make like it's really thoughtful incisive sci-fi here. You want that, you need to look for some other stuff; Babylon 5, Space: Above and Beyond, the new Battlestar Galactica. They all pwnz Star Trek.

Not to say Star Trek is bad, it isn't, it's lots of fun. But it's just not what everyone makes it out to be.

Timerk
12-13-2006, 02:45 AM
TNG.

The best one was when they all became Robin Hood characters.

I loved Babylon 5, but TNG is it for Sci Fi.

Ryth
12-13-2006, 04:15 AM
I love Star Trek. My dad and I would watch it on Sci-fi all the time, now I (shamefully admit) to watching G4 when it comes on. I haven't checked out TNG yet, but I plan on it. Right now I'm content on enjoying the cheesy glroy of the original Star Trek.

jrgen
12-13-2006, 10:34 AM
The best one was when they all became Robin Hood characters.
Hehe, the Q episodes were always awesome.