PDA

View Full Version : MMOG's (WoW bannage)

Captain Maxx Power
12-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Having been thoroughly put-off the idea of getting PSU due to the many (http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=743363), many (http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=742894), many (http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=747856) poor reviews, I was wondering what people thought of other MMOG's? I'm putting the plug into WoW. Yes, I know how great it is, I'm sure you're all having a spiffy amount of fun, but it's not my cup of tea. I've played FF11 (got bored) and Guild Wars (got frustrated/bored). I really like progressive loot-based games (a la Diablo) as opposed to repetitive, grind-based games. Any volunteers?

JKTrix
12-12-2006, 01:50 PM
In defense of PSU, I think the game should be re-reviewed in a couple of months. One of the gripes some people had with the game is that it's like a Beta (unfinished game) that you're paying for. As the updates come, there are more and more things being added to it. For example, I think the Advanced Classes are available now once you earn the ranks for it. If they're not available now it's scheduled to be in this month's update.

I don't really play MMOs anyway. I've had an FFXi subscription for almost 3 years, but I think I've only put in maybe 30 hours and 25 levels into the game. Perhaps I should cancel that subscription...
I do have PSU, but I haven't played it much. I guess I must have burned out during the free Beta that was on the 360 :P I'm sure I will get back into it, though. I've also played WoW a bit, but never continued past my free subscription, and I have Guild Wars which I played for 3 days then didn't touch. TimeSink games like that I guess just aren't my style, since I have so much other stuff (games and otherwise) to do.

Markus. D
12-12-2006, 06:14 PM
PSU is a grind. in fact apart from Synthesize and farm there ARE story quests.

but thats it.

:\

fun though n_n. repetitive play after awhile.

the game however is still in its baby stages. just a few days ago though it left its nappies and then added in a upped level cap, higher ranks of things. new photon arts and TECNICS etc.

I will most likely go back to FFXI soon.

Jowy
12-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Try out Ragnarok Online and see how you like it. It's like a cutesy version of Diablo II and it's damn addicting.

abrojtm
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
PSU really isn't much better than MapleStory other than the graphics.

WoW, EQ2, and FFXI are some of the better ones out right now, although the latter are fading from existence slowly.

Avarice-ness
12-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I play GW when I get the chance, which at this point is like.. never. I had bought FFXI but after the first week of my free-month trial I realized that game was really annoying, the only thing that wanted me to play was the TaruTaru's 'cause they were obscenely cute.

People keep saying that WoW is a beautiful game, but I'm not one for cartoon-based bright color'd game play. My friend showed me it one night, I wasn't to impressed.

I do wanna get RO though, then me and Jowy can have less of a life. :)

ljkkjlcm9
12-12-2006, 07:08 PM
I love PSU, despite what anyone here says. It may be a grind mostly, but it's fun getting the new flashy moves and stuff. And they're adding online story missions. There is even an offline story mode that is worth the 50 dollars alone, just like buying a regular game for 50 bucks. I meet people online, hang out and chat, and that's half the fun of an online game.

PSU now has advanced classes, level 60 cap, more weapons, harder levels, the first online story mission, and cooler moves. It's still in the beginning stages but, I'm in no hurry, and I didn't expect anything the size of WoW, having played PSO beforehand. It's pretty much what I expected, and I'm loving the updates.

THE JACKEL

Markus. D
12-12-2006, 07:14 PM
I want a Drakengard styled MMORPG ._.!

ljkkjlcm9
12-12-2006, 07:20 PM
want to see the melee weapon special moves for PSU?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQMoAawHwmU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMrj_MG1gI
they're cool, they're fun to use, and most of all, they do a lot of damage.

THE JACKEL

Shoeberto
12-12-2006, 10:38 PM
If you're not much of a graphics hog, EQ would be cheap to pick up and subscribe to and has a large, established content and playerbase.

The graphics are just... yeah.

But if you're looking for a lootgrab then the RO suggestion is a good one, though you'd want a standard rate server most likely.

Yuki_Snowcraft
12-13-2006, 02:27 AM
I have an alliance character on the Stormscale server - I'm looking for a guild to join. Anyone have any guilds on any server where I can find reasonable people, perhaps people into FF or anime?

Thanks in advance xD

Markus. D
12-13-2006, 02:40 AM
If you're not much of a graphics hog, EQ would be cheap to pick up and subscribe to and has a large, established content and playerbase.

The graphics are just... yeah.

But if you're looking for a lootgrab then the RO suggestion is a good one, though you'd want a standard rate server most likely.

EQ2 is lovely :3

it has Bards! 2 types n_n-b

escobert
12-13-2006, 02:48 AM
I play Guild Wars and own all three chapters so far. I love it :D I've got 6 characters. I've been playing for around 15 months.

Shoeberto
12-13-2006, 02:48 AM
My friends (both experienced MMO players) said it has some high points, but it falls short compared to the original.

Both are viable options, I suppose.

Markus. D
12-13-2006, 02:56 AM
the next two are definetly better storyline wise.

and the newest installment is like a more depthed prophecies.

the instances feel like they arent at all. wide open plains with plenty of detail for eye candy.

fantasyjunkie
12-16-2006, 06:10 AM
For me WoW is a good game because being married sometimes I have only an hour to play.

Leonffs
12-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Played FFXI for over a year. That game is really stupid, and a complete grindfest, requiring usually months of play to reach endgame for beginners. (when it first came out it took even the best players a good 5 months to reach endgame).

RO I played for a summer. RO is pretty much worse. All you basically do in this game is kill things over and over for no purpose other than exp and extremely rare loot (like 1/1000 or worse). There is almost no story and the quests are extremely limited and lame. The only people that seem to like this game are obsessed anime otaku who love being cutesy little huge-eyed cartoons. This game can be a little fun on high exp-rate Private servers, but playing it on the official servers is like masocism.

WoW I played for about 6 months. WoW is better than most. It's not too much of a grind to reach 60. But the dissapointing part is that the endgame is itself a grind, a grind much worse than the actual leveling portion of the game. Getting gear through PVE raids takes countless hours of dedication and patience, but can be fun if you have a great guild and if you don't mind putting in the hours (have nothing better to do I guess). PVP used to be one of the worst grinds imaginable if you wanted to 'win' it (max rank). But from what I hear they did away with the system and a much easier, perhaps too easy, system has taken its place.

Guilld Wars I played for about 2 months. The allure of a subscription free MMO is cool. But the game itself becomes boring quite fast. The missions can be fun but get old eventually. The PVP can be fun but from what it was when I played there was no reward at all for doing it except for the opportunity to be ranked high on the Guild Ladder. No idea if any has changed pvp wise since the new chapters. It's a good purchase since theres no monthly fee but not something I would want to really get into.