PDA

View Full Version : New books please!

Captain Maxx Power
12-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Has anyone got any recommendations in terms of books I could read to entertain me whilst I'm on the tube? I'm a huge fan of the Wheel of Time as has previously been mentioned, though obviously it's hard to know what books are in the same vein from reading the blurb on the back.

Bunny
12-12-2006, 02:40 PM
The Time Master Trilogy (The Initiate, The Outcast, The Master) by Louise Cooper if you can find it. Great books. I'm not very good with summaries, but I'll say it is basically a battle between the forces of Good and Evil. But the lines are kind of blurred and hard to see.

Runelords by David Farland is also a good series. The Sum of All Men, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Wizardborn and Throne of Bone is the first series of books. Those should be easier to find and they provide a longer read (each book is roughly two times the size of Time Master)

Um. The Highwayman by R.A. Salvatore is a great and enjoyable read. Pretty quick too, despite being a fairly decent length of pages. I recommend anything by Salvatore though.

I'm spent. I'll come up with a few more later. :P

Resha
12-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind, and the books that follow in the series. :) If you like WoT, you might just as well like this! Stuff by a guy called George R. R. Martin, the Shannara series by a guy called Terry...Brooks? (I'm not sure about this!)

Pike
12-12-2006, 08:15 PM
The "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman.

Also, Watership Down, and anything by Dostoyevsky (if you're feeling adventurous).

Necronopticous
12-12-2006, 08:30 PM
"Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak

XxSephirothxX
12-12-2006, 08:32 PM
George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, Stephen King's Dark Tower, or maybe The Lord of the Rings? Just the first fantasy suggestions that come to mind.

Spammerman
12-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I demand you read the Rangers Apprentice and Bartimaeus Trilogy!

~*~Celes~*~
12-12-2006, 08:47 PM
The Eragon books (2 out of three out so far) and the on-going "Wheel of Time" series are awesome reads, in my opinion :)

EDIT: Be warned though, the WoT series is in its 12th book at the moment and still going, plus the author has out a prequel and some other things I believe. The books are over 1,000 pages long the farther in the series you get ^^; *still on book #9*

Captain Maxx Power
12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
EDIT: Be warned though, the WoT series is in its 12th book at the moment and still going, plus the author has out a prequel and some other things I believe. The books are over 1,000 pages long the farther in the series you get ^^; *still on book #9*

It took me the better part of a year to read up to book nine on and off just to put it into perspective. It is a very good read however, I especially like the fact that it's about people first and the world second. There's a lot of deep description of people's thoughts. What's sad is that the author has a really terrible disease and may not personally finish the series off. :cry:

The Captain
12-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I still stand by this:

"On The Road" by Jack Kerouac

No book I have ever read has made such a profound impact on my life and from the feedback I've gotten from friends who read it on my recommendation, it's not just me.

Take care all.

Elite Lord Sigma
12-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Now, if it's fantasy/adventure you're looking for...

Artemis Fowl series

Five books in the series so far, and Eoin Colfer still can keep all of the characters with their personalities intact. It can be a serious do-or-die situation one second, then some sarcasm from Artemis, Foaly, or Mulch the next.

Redwall Series

Come on, it's Redwall!

Silverwing Sequence

Now, if you're a fan of the above series, you'll like this one. The book flows at just the right speed all the time, going fast and heart-pounding enough during action or suspenseful sequences, while flowing slowly the next.

~*~Celes~*~
12-12-2006, 11:58 PM

It took me the better part of a year to read up to book nine on and off just to put it into perspective. It is a very good read however, I especially like the fact that it's about people first and the world second. There's a lot of deep description of people's thoughts. What's sad is that the author has a really terrible disease and may not personally finish the series off. :cry:

:eek: No way! He can't die! :'( He has to make a movie out of his series...

Vincent, Thunder God
12-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Has anyone got any recommendations in terms of books I could read to entertain me whilst I'm on the tube? I'm a huge fan of the Wheel of Time as has previously been mentioned, though obviously it's hard to know what books are in the same vein from reading the blurb on the back.

The Sword of Truth series is in the same vein as WoT, and the first book is simply stunning. In my opinion that first book, Wizard's First Rule, is much better than most of WoT. However, as the series progresses the author, Terry Goodkind, starts to lose his descriptive, invigorating style. If you're prepared for the series to deteriorate somewhat like the WoT series eventually does, try the series.

At least read the first book, it's amazingly good.

I heard that he has a disease recently. If the series ended now due to his death, with this level of endless build-up, it would be terribly tragic and ironic.

Anyway, if you like character interaction and inner dialogues like you said, you'll love the Sword of Truth series. I found Robert Jordan's characters to be very generic and akin to cardboard cut-outs, but Terry Goodkind's are much more fleshed out and layered; very realistic.

Rengori
12-13-2006, 04:38 AM
Short Read:
Animal Farm (George Orwell)
Long Read:
1984 (George Orwell)

Araciel
12-13-2006, 04:39 AM
yeah goodkind is good reading, but as his sword of truth series went on, i feel he shifted more and more internally into the characters and out of the world. not to say it wasn't a good series so far (i don't plan on reading phantom) but it just changed from the first book i picked up and fell into so easily.

Bloodline666
12-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Personally, I prefer Game of Shadows. Really good, especially if you like reading about scandals.

Germ Hamee
12-13-2006, 08:51 AM
I've never read WoT, but my two favorite fantasy authors are George RR Martin and Robin Hobb. If you like dark, gritty, and character driven fantasy, that's definitely the route to take.

Ender
12-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

Not fantasy, but fiction based on the real-life stand "The 300" Spartans made at Thermopylae to temporarily hold off Xerxes' "two-million" man Persian army while the Greeks rallied (eventually inflicting the decisive blow at the naval battle of Salamis), saving Western Civilization as we know it.

An author's interpretation of a look in at one of those special moments in which reality probably transcended what had been humanly conceivable before it.

For fantasy purposes I'll second, or third or whatever, GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire series, though it is a big commitment and won't be finished for another several years at the least. For a sample you can check out his c. 100-page novellas "The Hedge Knight" and it's sequel "The Sworn Sword" in the fantasy anthology Legends and Legends II (L II comes in two parts...get the one with the yellow cover).

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and it's sequels Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind are sci-fi, but far more cerebral/philosophical than usual. Lot's of good social commentary buried in SftD and the first half of Xenocide.

Nominus Experse
12-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Although hailed as Science Fiction's greatest masterpiece, Dune has some aspects that cause one to think of fantasy. And it's just a stunning book, it honestly is. The obvious thought put into the creation of the book is boggling.

And read Terry Goodkind - you shall not be disappointed. You owe it to yourself to do so at the very least.

krissy
12-16-2006, 04:28 AM
The "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman.

and
dark tower blah blah

if you've never read isaac asimov, give the foundation a shot. or something related.

terry pratchett?
good omens by neil gaiman and terry pratchett

Carl the Llama
12-16-2006, 08:32 PM
I cannot believe no one has mentioned Raymond E. Feist, he is my all time fave author and I have read many many books (Weis + Hickman, Phillip Pullman, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jorden, Melanie Rawn (who is exceptional), Robin Hobb, David Eddings... the list goes on and on) out of all of them Feist is the Best of the Best

Dreddz
12-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Dune.

Dragoon Kain
12-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Definatly read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. They are my favorite books in the entire world. I do believe they are making movies out of them, correct? Please let them be better than the Harry Potter movies.

Vivisteiner
12-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Now, if it's fantasy/adventure you're looking for...

Artemis Fowl series

Five books in the series so far, and Eoin Colfer still can keep all of the characters with their personalities intact. It can be a serious do-or-die situation one second, then some sarcasm from Artemis, Foaly, or Mulch the next.

Redwall Series

Come on, it's Redwall!

Silverwing Sequence

Now, if you're a fan of the above series, you'll like this one. The book flows at just the right speed all the time, going fast and heart-pounding enough during action or suspenseful sequences, while flowing slowly the next.

lol. Every story in Redwall is the same. - But its alright

Eoin Colfer
Darren Shan.
Tolkien.
Pullman
Rowling
Horrowitz
C. S Lewis

Are fantasy authors I like.

'The Edge Chronicles.'

The above are all easy reads, if thats what you like.

krissy
12-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Definatly read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. They are my favorite books in the entire world. I do believe they are making movies out of them, correct? Please let them be better than the Harry Potter movies.
i heard a few years back that pullman was writing a script. but i seriously hope this got canned.

Dragoon Kain
12-17-2006, 03:37 AM
i heard a few years back that pullman was writing a script. but i seriously hope this got canned.

nope i dont think they did. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385752/

krissy
12-17-2006, 05:02 AM
well.
at least the cast list looks ok.
daniel craig? man he's gonna need to loose some muscle.

Dragoon Kain
12-17-2006, 08:06 AM
well.
at least the cast list looks ok.
daniel craig? man he's gonna need to loose some muscle.

yea but they are taking the whole religion thing out of the movie. THATS WHAT THE WHOLE SERIES IS ABOUT!!!!!

Freya
12-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Um try the Obsidian Chronicles by Lawrence Watt-Evans, First on is Dragon Weather (http://www.watt-evans.com/dragonweather.html) then The Dragon Society (http://www.watt-evans.com/thedragonsociety.html), and last Dragon Venom. (http://www.watt-evans.com/dragonvenom.html)
I came across these hiddne gems about a year ago, well that's a lie, I found the first one 3 years ago but didn't really look into it. I remember seeing it though. They are very good, I mean the slave girls in it have thier feet cut off so they can't run away :eek:
Um Also the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton. They make me giggle and are very entertaining. The character Anita blake is a vampire hunter. There are like 15 of the series. I like them, even though i'm a fantasy book nerd.