PDA

View Full Version : A small idea, a BIG change. (PLEASE SQUARE!!)

Young Kefka
12-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Why cant final fantasy be fully realistic in wardrobe, instead of half? Ok, so my shields and swords all have their own animation, but my shoes...pants, tunic, and hat don't? I equip a "ringmail" and it looks the same as a "wizard robe" ??? How bout square takes that next step and makes it just 5% more realistic so i can stop laughing at the stupidity of it....

(EverQuest did it right :greenie: )

Crossblades
12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Why cant final fantasy be fully realistic in wardrobe, instead of half? Ok, so my shields and swords all have their own animation, but my shoes...pants, tunic, and hat don't? I equip a "ringmail" and it looks the same as a "wizard robe" ??? How bout square takes that next step and makes it just 5% more realistic so i can stop laughing at the stupidity of it....

(EverQuest did it right :greenie: )

It's been done in FF XI

Young Kefka
12-12-2006, 09:17 PM
i dont consider FF XI as a final fantasy... That was Square trying to make a MMORPG with an already famous name... Using some popular elements of previous FF's....

I mean a REAL FF

Crossblades
12-12-2006, 09:50 PM
i dont consider FF XI as a final fantasy... That was Square trying to make a MMORPG with an already famous name... Using some popular elements of previous FF's....

I mean a REAL FF

And what do you think FF XI is? Just because it's an MMORPG doesn't mean it's not a real FF. It has a enjoyable story(yes, even MMORPGs have stories. Not the best, but enjoyable), and a feel that makes you say you are playing an FF game. You think it's been called "Final Fantasy XI" by accident? It's like saying that FF I is not a real FF, because of the fact that you control a party with no personalities whatsoever and had no breakthrough story like FF VII. Also, you said that Everquest did it right, which is also a MMORPG that is in the same vein as FF XI.

You should know by now that SE makes every FF game different. So don't go saying it's not a real FF game just because of the fact that it's a MMORPG. It's part of the series. Deal with it

VeloZer0
12-12-2006, 11:41 PM
The one thing I have noticed from my MMORPG experience is allot of times your character will look stupid in the gear set up you are using, unless the games armor is very bland and similar.

Neither of these I want for a FF, however, creating different character sprites for 'Cloth', 'Light' ect... would probably turn out quite well. In all honestly for my Final Fantasy I don't especially want 100% realism in wardrobe. Just give all the characters cool outfits to begin with is far better.

ChaosCalibur
12-13-2006, 01:10 AM
What's the point in those items having animations if you can't even see them? Har har har...

Zeromus_X
12-13-2006, 01:14 AM
I imagine it'd take quite alot of space to make animations for each and every different piece of equipment.

Mirage
12-13-2006, 01:17 AM

I mean a REAL FF
You have no authority to decide what is a real Final Fantasy or not. Square Enix has. FFXI has enough of what is needed to be classified as a Final Fantasy.

Let's take a look at this.

Just what is needed for a game to be an 'Final Fantasy'?
Does it have to have an ATB battle system? No, the first FFs didn't have that, and neither does FFX and FFXII.
What about a storyline? Yes, and FFXI does have one, several ones actually.
What about airships? FFXI has got a whole lot of them.
Cid? There's a Cid in FFXI, and he's an engineer.
Summoned monsters? Standard FF monsters such as cactuars, imps and behemots? Sure, a ton of them in FFXI too.
Side and subquest? Almost too many of them :p
Can a Final Fantasy bring new elements of gameplay, and possibly big changes? Yes, most Final Fantasy games do that, in fact.

So, what's different?
You need to pay to play. MMORPG servers cost a lot to maintain, you can't avoid this easily. Problems paying the monthly fee? Millions of people pay to play MMORPG, it doesn't seem to be a big problem. It just costs two McD meals a month after all.
You can (and often have to) play with others. Do you think that's a negative trait?

To reply to the actual topic:
I think it would have been nice if a character's appearance changed a bit more depending on equipment. However ,this would become rather inconsistent when we take pre-rendered movies into consideration. It would be impossible to incorporate a CG movie if the characters in it could have several different appearances. The only way to avoid this would be to stop relying on CG movies, and do everything in real-time, like Metal Gear Solid does. S-E sure love their CG movies though, so I can't see that happen just yet.

I imagine it'd take quite alot of space to make animations for each and every different piece of equipment.
Good thing you wouldn't need to do that :p. You only need animations for the character, and then the appearance of that character is simply changed. Maybe you meant to say "it would take quite a lot of space to store all the equipment models and textures" :p. That's a valid point, but with blu-ray, I can't see that being a problem at all.

abrojtm
12-13-2006, 02:30 AM

I mean a REAL FF

That's like saying that WoW took the Warcraft name and tacked on an MMORPG to sell games.

Mirage
12-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Sony took the Playstation name and tacked it on a computer to sell more units. :(

Crossblades
12-13-2006, 03:11 AM
OMG! Nintendo puts their brand name on every one of their consoles to sell more of their units! The horror!:cry:

Wolf Kanno
12-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Back on topic...

It's an intriguing premise and god knows what "White Engine" will be capable of... Persoanlly, I'm all for using nothing but in-game cutscenes. I may be the only one to say this, but I really didn't care for how the characters looked in the CG cutscenes in FFX and FFXII. I prefered the in-game models better. It may have something to do with Tidus' sudden tan and Vaan suddenly changing from slightly adrongenous to "Oh my god! That can't possibly be a man!":eek:

It's like looking at a picture of Michael Jackson from circa 1985 and then seeing a photo of him now...

The CG cutscenes were fun in the PS era cause the system was limited, but I can't say that it's really practical now. It will probably stay for a few more games but I'm hoping that graphically, Squenix will be able to make the in-game look just as good.

Timerk
12-13-2006, 02:18 PM
People make too big a deal of how Vaan and Tidus look, I mean, does someone have to wear all black and act like a jerk all the time to be considered a real man. There was never one instance where I didn't know either Tidus or Vaan were male, so I don't see all the fuss.

In terms of the animation of armor, it doesn't really bother me. The reason they do it in MMORPG's is because it adds individuality to your character, that really isn't a concern in a single player game.

One of my big problems in X was how the character models looked so different in FMV than in gameplay mode. I don't care what ethnicity they want to make the characters, but just be consistent.

Young Kefka
12-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Wow, people are getting really defensive eh?

This is my point:
Final Fantasy to ME (meaning MY opinion) is a game with a inevitably ending storyline. A main character, and 3-5 support characters... An RPG... not an MMORPG...

I aint saying it's the definite truth, thats just how i feel... Thank you for your time... my 2 cents, you dont HAVE to agree with it, just UNDERSTAND where i'm coming from.

Roto13
12-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Well, you're simply wrong. A Final Fantasy game is a game made by Squenix called Final Fantasy. That is the definite truth, like it or not.

Laddy
12-13-2006, 10:57 PM
But in Modern and Sci-Fi FF's, I don't think they would wear chain mail and use shields. Still, maybe clothing designs?

Wolf Kanno
12-14-2006, 08:14 AM
People make too big a deal of how Vaan and Tidus look, I mean, does someone have to wear all black and act like a jerk all the time to be considered a real man. There was never one instance where I didn't know either Tidus or Vaan were male, so I don't see all the fuss.

One of my big problems in X was how the character models looked so different in FMV than in gameplay mode. I don't care what ethnicity they want to make the characters, but just be consistent.

That was sorta've the point I was trying to make, I really don't care about how androgenous my male characters look. Sorry if the Vaan reference went too far:laughing:

Besides, I love Amano's artwork and if they were to do a faithful creation of his artwork, most people would be unable to know who was male or female.

And I agree on your point about the doom and gloom males as well, I mean, not every guy has to wear a trench coat and look depressed, to be considered masculine.

Back on topic...

I could really care less if Squenix did it or not. I guess it would be nice to finally put some real clothes on my female party members. Unless they decided to make every piece of armor different for each character a la FFX-2, then it might be a rather nice game mechanic.

Mirage
12-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Wow, people are getting really defensive eh?
Funny how you say that. Don't you have a better argument?

This is my point:
Final Fantasy to ME (meaning MY opinion) is a game with a inevitably ending storyline. A main character, and 3-5 support characters... An RPG... not an MMORPG...
This encompasses about 1572 different RPG games, doesn't it sound like Final Fantasy is anything special to you. :D

Young Kefka
12-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Cause it isn't an argument... I'm simply stating what I think, not that i'm right, or anything. Y'all people should lighten up a tadbit. Quit looking for net confrontation. :p

Mirage
12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Oh, but e-drama is so much fun. ;_;

And of course I defend a game i enjoy when someone throw baseless bashings at it.

Young Kefka
12-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Not once did I BASH it...How bout you try READING my post. Did I say the game sucked? Or that I didn't like it? No.

I said "I don't consider it a FF"

I... as in me, not you or him or her or that shemale over there....
Don't .... as in do not.
Consider.... Which is to think, not to KNOW for sure, or have facts, but an opinion or process of thought. As in considering something.
It... The game in question
A.... self explanatory
FF.... Acronym for Final Fantasy, an RPG, for what, 20 years about now? And how many FF's have there been.... And how many have been an RPG..... Every single one but one. Because Square Enix tried to cash in on the FF name, in the MMORPG market which was rising at the time of it's release.

IT IS MY FU**ING OPINION. You dont have to agree with it, but you can respect it. Dumbfuc*

Mirage
12-14-2006, 08:46 PM
You just sound like another one of those who dislike FFXI without having ever played it. Those guys have always ticked me off.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Young Kefka we do not speak to other members like that. We treat all members with respect, and I don't want to see any more posts like that from you.

Young Kefka
12-15-2006, 05:06 PM
[!]And when other members force their opinion and mock mine, is that showing respect? I repeatedly try to make the point that it is nothing more than a statement, yet when somebody chooses to continue to disrespect me by making fun of what i say, or doubting my intelligence, that isn't disrespect?[/!]
If you want to refute your warning, you know how to use private messages. Though there's no point; calling someone a dumbfuc* is not acceptable in this community. ~ShlupQuack

PS. I play FF XI.

Roto13
12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
PS. I play FF XI.

FFXI Server:
I don't play FFXI.

Timerk
12-15-2006, 05:28 PM
People have acted jerky to you in this thread, but don't assume that they haven't been spoken to about it (I have no idea if they have or not, I am just saying).

You can't control other people, just make sure that you are polite and respectful. Don't get yourself in trouble just because others think it ok to act rude.

Young Kefka
12-15-2006, 06:13 PM
PS. I play FF XI.

FFXI Server:
I don't play FFXI.

I do play, but i didnt feel like entering in all my info... you'll notice i didnt enter my aim name , etc....

Anyways. I like how people can be adults you know? How they can remember what they were taught in gradeschool.

"Now now MIrage, jimmy has an opinion and you need to respect it"

Mirage - "No, i'm from the FF7 generation and we know everything, :mad: "

Shlup
12-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Young Kefka, knock off the hypcritial moaning and show and keep on topic. If you don't want your opinions questioned, don't post them. It's called "discussion," and it happens from time to time. If you can't be part of a discussion without being defensive and rude, leave or you will be forced to leave.

In that same vein, Mirage, you are being a bit too snotty for this discussion and it is clearly bothering Young Kefka. Please show a little more resepect when addressing him, no matter how much he "ticks you off."

I don't want to see any more warned posts in my inbox coming out of this thread. We are not chilluns.

Flying Mullet
12-15-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't care much either way if the wardrobe of each character accurately reflects what they have equipped. I'd rather that extra space be used for an extra sidequest or some other gameplay feature.

Moon Rabbits
12-16-2006, 03:23 AM
NO!

The swords and shields look neat when they change and etc. Changing the clothing would be bad. The clothing and outfits in most FFs are pretty amazing. I liked Yuna in her dress/kimonothing/armbands, when she started changing her clothes in FFX-2 she wasn't half as awesome.

No, this would suck I think, the clothes make the characters more memorable.

Darius
03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Yea, I like it the way it is now. Every cahracter has a unique look. Being able to equip the same type of armor on 2-3 or more characters (which happens in most FFs) thus changing their appearance to match the armor would take that uniqueness away from the character. Changing the shields and swords are perfect enough. Alot of what RPGs are about is being able to use your imagination while your playing it. :)

About FFXI: the main character is supposed to be you. There is a party based system and it neat because you can set up a party the way YOU want it to be, or someone can ask you to join thiers. It is a FF game, no doubt. Its just alot harder than the single player games (the single player games feel like they hand feed you most of everything in the game). But yea, the main characters is YOU, the character YOU created. Thats why you see yourself in the cutscenes and not the other players.

farplaner
03-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't care much either way if the wardrobe of each character accurately reflects what they have equipped. I'd rather that extra space be used for an extra sidequest or some other gameplay feature.

Best point of the thread. I am among those who were somewhat disappointed by XII's story and the way it played out.

I'd hate to see the storyline or the adventure sacrificed in future FF's for the sake of wardrobe.

Fynn
03-10-2007, 07:55 PM
I for one liked the pre-rendered cutscenes! :mad2:

Eiko Guy
03-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Or they might just wear some of that stuff under their clothes. What do you believe zidanes pants flare at the hips for no reason. Yeah I do really care about not seeing the armor.

more realistic armor < sidequests and overall fun
Yeah that's how it goes.

Fynn
03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Honestly, since when has Final Fantasy been realistic?

xtrava
03-18-2007, 09:24 PM

I mean a REAL FF

And what do you think FF XI is? Just because it's an MMORPG doesn't mean it's not a real FF. It has a enjoyable story(yes, even MMORPGs have stories. Not the best, but enjoyable), and a feel that makes you say you are playing an FF game. You think it's been called "Final Fantasy XI" by accident? It's like saying that FF I is not a real FF, because of the fact that you control a party with no personalities whatsoever and had no breakthrough story like FF VII. Also, you said that Everquest did it right, which is also a MMORPG that is in the same vein as FF XI.

You should know by now that SE makes every FF game different. So don't go saying it's not a real FF game just because of the fact that it's a MMORPG. It's part of the series. Deal with it

But its not a Single Player console release, unlike the others in the series, so to a lot of people it doesnt count when talking about Final Fantasy relating to 6,7,8 etc. You cant "complete" FFXI so I understand exactly where hes coming from.

It would be cool if the next FF could feature something like that, however I think that at some points the characters might like uber stupid with equipment that doesnt match and just looks plain stupid on that particular character.