PDA

View Full Version : Most Random Question ever

abrojtm
12-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Aight this is a weird and random question, but:

Where can I buy pepper spray/mace (other than the internet)? It's a self-defense thing.

Additional topic of discussion: Are you ever fearful roaming the streets? Do you have any kind of self defense that you keep handy?

Giga Guess
12-13-2006, 12:44 AM
I have some self defense lessons under my belt so I'm pretty brave about walking around.

Meat Puppet
12-13-2006, 12:44 AM
I never roam the streets alone. My friends are up to guarding my body if things get rough.

Jojee
12-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Now that you mention it, I have no idea :o I remember my dad had a thing of pepper spray on his keys and he showed it to me, but that was a long, long time ago. xD Where DO you get pepper spray? *evil laugh, runs around spraying it in peoples' eyes*:3

I'm usually really stupid about going out at night alone, but I just don't really feel scared like I'm supposed to, I guess. A bunch of my friends are super panicky about going out alone when it's dark. ^^

abrojtm
12-13-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm about to just call Wal-Mart and be like, "Where can I buy Pepper Spray?"

fire_of_avalon
12-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Most outdoorsy type stores sell pepper spray, I think. For bears and stuff.

Jowy
12-13-2006, 12:55 AM
They have it at Wal-Mart!

Check out one of the fireworks stands off of the interstate. The ones that have knives and swords.

Levian
12-13-2006, 01:02 AM
I bought mine on a market in Spain, but no idea where you'd find it over there. My sister bought a dog in a bird cage. :count:

blackmage_nuke
12-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Just carry around a pepper shaker.

I dont like to roam the streets too much at night (though it does give me abit of a thrill to know I might die any second but probably wont) If I do have to roam the streets I usually carry a basketball to throw at people and then run. Sometimes I take a kitchen knife

Luckily Ive never had to use them :D

-

Timerk
12-13-2006, 01:26 AM
Most outdoorsy type stores sell pepper spray, I think. For bears and stuff.

That is where my dad gets his (he runs in the morning, and carries it in case he gets chased by a dog).

(He has since replaced his mace with a huge stick :choc2:.)

Jojee
12-13-2006, 01:33 AM

I dont like to roam the streets too much at night (though it does give me abit of a thrill to know I might die any second but probably wont) If I do have to roam the streets I usually carry a basketball to throw at people and then run. Sometimes I take a kitchen knife

-Now <i>that's</i> scary, walking around at night carrying a kitchen knife. :( I'd be scared of you.

Kinda like my friend who told me that he kept a knife and some other weapons under his mattress while he slept cos he was afraid people were gonna come and kill him :kaodrop:

Rocket Edge
12-13-2006, 01:36 AM
I don't have much fear at night-time at all to be honest, and that's not a macho thing, it's just the way Ireland is. Although when people have drinks in them the case is slightly altered. Whenever i go out i have my friends with me anyway so i feel safe.

blackmage_nuke
12-13-2006, 01:39 AM

-Now <i>that's</i> scary, walking around at night carrying a kitchen knife. :( I'd be scared of you.

Kinda like my friend who told me that he kept a knife and some other weapons under his mattress while he slept cos he was afraid people were gonna come and kill him :kaodrop:Your friend sounds like the intelligent type

-

Vermachtnis
12-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Whenever I go out at night, I usually have a couple of meatshields...friends with me. Course my friends are insane and it'd be safer to go out by myself.:choc2:

abrojtm
12-13-2006, 01:49 AM
They have it at Wal-Mart!

I hope you weren't being sarcastic because I just drove to Wal-Mart for nothing :(

Jowy
12-13-2006, 01:53 AM
I've seen it at my Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section. *shrug*

abrojtm
12-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Meh, they are incompetent fools at Wal-Mart--I sat on hold for about 20 mins before I just drove up there. The idiot at sporting goods sent me to Houseware and I was like thanks.

There is a hunting supply store about 20 mins from here I will go to in the morning.

LunarWeaver
12-13-2006, 02:06 AM
I have no money to mug, so I generally feel pretty safe.

Good luck with that spray hunt. Buy a tazor, its effects are funnier.

Morningstar
12-13-2006, 02:07 AM
I usually don't carry money/valuables with me when I go out, so I'm not really scared of being robbed on the streets. :D

Yamaneko
12-13-2006, 02:19 AM
I carry a Beretta with me at all times.

abrojtm
12-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Yea, the thing is...people can't tell if you have money on you by looking at you or your purse, so the "I don't carry cash, so I don't need to defend myself" really doesn't cut it for me.

Wolf Kanno
12-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I have some self defense training myself so I don't mind walking alone at night.

If a guy tries to assault you, nail him in the family jewels, if it draws blood, even better;) . The face is also a very sesitive area so go for eyes or the nose. A good pop to the throat also helps.

But seriously, the two best things you can do is always try to lok like you have some serious confidence. Most criminals won't try to mess with someone who looks like they might put up a fight, so they read body language. The other best option has been mentioned before, stay with friends and be in a group.

Christmas
12-13-2006, 10:11 AM
lightsaber

Little Blue
12-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm terrified of going out at night, but sometimes I just can't avoid it :(

I don't have any form of self defense other than a few pens in my coat pocket that I think are quite pointy...:fencing:

Rusty
12-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Yea, a seventeen, fairly small girl wandering the streets at night? That's not an easy target. But seriously, why would I want to wander the streets at night? If I go for a walk at night, it's with my Dad. If I'm out at night, I'm out with friends. So, yea, I feel safe, because I don't wander the streets.

blackmage_nuke
12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Forks are nice, I forgot to mention I sometimes take forks ( i dont have any sporks)

-

Wild0ne
12-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Well if you go out running all the time, don't you think you should be able to outrun them?? Just dangle your wallet in front of them while you run faster and faster.

I aint skerred....Someone try to mug me I would kill them...Well Im a pretty built fella so if would take a group of guys to mug me...Like 50, or 100..

Plus Im a ninja..

Bunny
12-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Wal-Mart will carry it depending on which state you live in, because the legality of pepper spray differs from state-to-state, and country-to-country if you don't live in the United States. If it is legal to carry where you live, you can buy it at various stores, Wal-Mart included, but not all Wal-Marts carry the same stock of items. Just keep looking for it at an assortment of stores that sell hunting-related items and whatnot. Also, you gotta be over 18 to carry it legally in most states. :P

And as a side note: Pepper spray ain't that fun to get sprayed with. Keep that in mind when you're doing it all willy-nilly to people.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-13-2006, 03:16 PM
lol carrying a mace for self-defence
My legs are my reassurance incase I need to make a clean getaway

Twisted Tinkerbell
12-13-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm 19, I'm pretty tiny, and I live in a nasty area, am I scared wondering the streets alone at night? Oddly enough I'm not, I look like an easy target, but I'm pretty tough and my ex boyfriend gave me pepper spray as a pressie once. I miss him.

Quindiana Jones
12-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Roaming the streets of Dottigub (hold your nose) is hilarious. There's so many chavs that you can not-jump-out-the-way-of-and-get-sworn-at-and-threatened, I can't help but laugh. One once purposely diverted himself in my way just before walking past, just so he could shoulder barge me (I had politely stepped out the way). Then he told me I was a smurfing prick and I told him to bite my ass. God I love Dottigub.

So no, I never feel threatened, because the worst that could happen to me is that I die.

Rantz
12-13-2006, 07:44 PM
I can get pretty scared when walking alone in the outskirts of the city at nighttime, and then you hear steps behind you... :eek: It can be a real heart-pumper sometimes.

However, I don't walk alone in the outskirts of the city at nighttime that often, if I walk alone late it's usually in the city, where there are always people, or out on the country, where there's never anyone. Actually, on the country, nighttime walks are most adorable, especially if the stars are out. :)

Quindiana Jones
12-13-2006, 07:59 PM
And especially if I'm there with you RAMMSTEIN. :love:

Rantz
12-13-2006, 08:12 PM
You raise beauty to the power of infinity mister.

Bunny
12-13-2006, 08:17 PM
So no, I never feel threatened, because the worst that could happen to me is that I die.

I refuse to believe that you could ever die, dear Quin.

It would be far too tragic a thing. No, you live forever.

If I were to walk outside, I would not be afraid. Few people have ever picked on me, and the few that do end up being the ones on their back writhing in pain. I enjoy being tall, thin, underwhelming, and completely capable of kicking your ass regardless of size.

Dreddz
12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Depends what street I was walking down. Nowadays im not afraid of much though...

JKTrix
12-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Mace/Pepperspray is less effective when people wear glasses or other kinds of eyeshield.

I suggest a high power flashlight, such as the ones made by Surefire (www.surefire.com). Just in case you were to 'spray' someone by accident, a super blinding light is less painful and doesn't last as long as the spray might. And flashlights have longer range, so you can do it when they're far away.

While the person is blinded, you should have enough time to run, kick-in-the-nuts or whatever. Plus, a flashlight has more functions than self-defense.
Those surefire ones are super bright. I haven't had the misfortune of having one shone in my eyes, but I've seen the beam they produce when compared to other flashlights. I'm sure it would work.

Renmiri
12-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Additional topic of discussion: Are you ever fearful roaming the streets? Do you have any kind of self defense that you keep handy?
My 2 dogs. :D

I always go out at night with my 100 LB dog in my car. He is big, imposing and his fierce bark comands respect. Little do the bad guys know that Spike would lick them to death but never bite :D

Quindiana Jones
12-14-2006, 04:26 PM

I refuse to believe that you could ever die, dear Quin.

It would be far too tragic a thing. No, you live forever.

I'm already 3,000,012 years old, so you're probably right. :heart:

musicsoccer
12-14-2006, 04:39 PM
I barely walk the streets at night and the times I did, I have walked by myself (in some dangerous neighborhoods too, seeing that I live a good 5 miles away from Detroit) I probably was lucky to be alive after that but at the time, I was not that scared. Now, however, I'm terrified due to the fact that there are a bit more murders than usual, and as most human beings, my fear bumped into effect.