PDA

View Full Version : 2008 US Presidency

Ashley Schovitz
12-13-2006, 12:52 AM
In 2008 there will be two main candidates running for president, both in a category that we haven't had yet. Hillary Clinton will be running on the Democratic side and there's a black man also running. There will also be other people of course in third parties,but they never do good ecept for Ralhp Nader who was close.This is an unexpecting turn of the odds. Who do you think will be elected once the time comes. I doubted that people will ever accept a woman to run as President and the majority of whites to vote for a black president. I am not one of those people myself I wouldn't mind having a president of another ethnicity it's not like the whites are the true people of this country. it was rightfully the Native Americans land in the first place. Discuss the topic.

Jojee
12-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Wait, so who's running on the Republican side? ^^

nik0tine
12-13-2006, 12:54 AM
:(

XxSephirothxX
12-13-2006, 12:55 AM
...:p You have to have the primaries first. There's no telling who's going to really be running for the Democrats. It could easily be Clinton or Obama, but I'm sure they'll face some competition in the primaries. John Edwards might run again, and Kerry probably will, though he doesn't have a chance. And considering how much stuff can happen in the next two years, it's impossible to predict who has a shot at winning. And Nader was never close by any stretch of the word. :p

Rye
12-13-2006, 12:56 AM
We were actually discussing this in Health today! :p

I believe Rudy Giuliani is going to try for the primaries for the Republicans. I think he's a pretty good candidate, because he was strict, but he improved New York A LOT in various ways and brought crime down a ton when he was the mayor, so he's proven himself somewhat through what he did for NY. He also handled 9/11 well and helped the city after it for some time, he was picked for Person of the Year by TIME for it, I recall.

Besides that, I really haven't given it much thought.

EDIT: Actually, Hsu's answer is better. <3 Colbert.

Shoeberto
12-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Still holding out for Stewart/Colbert.

Madame Adequate
12-13-2006, 12:58 AM
One of the strong possibilities for the Republicans is Senator John McCain. And if it's gonna be the Reps in power, he's probably the best of the lot, from what I've observed.

Me, I'm hoping for Jeb Bush. :hyper:

Timerk
12-13-2006, 12:59 AM
I am going to enjoy the Barak Obama presidency, though I will worry about his safety.

XxSephirothxX
12-13-2006, 01:03 AM
We were actually discussing this in Health today! :p

I believe Rudy Giuliani is going to try for the primaries for the Republicans. I think he's a pretty good candidate, because he was strict, but he improved New York A LOT in various ways and brought crime down a ton when he was the mayor, so he's proven himself somewhat through what he did for NY. He also handled 9/11 well and helped the city after it for some time, he was picked for Person of the Year by TIME for it, I recall.

Besides that, I really haven't given it much thought.

EDIT: Actually, Hsu's answer is better. <3 Colbert.
I have a friend who really wants Rudy Giuliani to run for the Republicans because apparently the Democratic party has a ton of dirt on him. I've never asked him about it, but he's pretty active in the Democratic party, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. :p

Jojee
12-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Well if it's gonna be McCain I think it will be a Republican victory because a lot of people, including Democrats, seem to tolerate him ^^ Whereas I can't say the same for Clinton.

Shlup
12-13-2006, 01:06 AM
http://www.bustedtees.com/bt/images/BT-stewartcolbert-featured-1111.jpg

Meat Puppet
12-13-2006, 01:06 AM
I’m with Hsu on this one.

EDIT: And ShlupQuack.

Martyr
12-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Republicans are probably going to take it again because the Democrats don't have any presence. Their candidates are weak, their arguments are reactionist (With liberal spins), and all they've proven to me is that they're terribly confused on the whole and aren't happy about it.

I don't want to vote for somebody who's unhappy about being confused. I want somebody competent.

The republicans aren't competent either, but at least they're not confused. I'm also with McCain, but Gouilianni sounds very interesting too. Hilary Clinton, Kerry and Edwards are all just... not good enough.

Let me quote a radio station skit:
*Imagine a press conference between Bush and Kerry*
Reporter: Kerry, what are you going to do when you go to the bathroom?
Kerry: Well, maybe number 1. Or number 2. Number 1 or two...
Reporter: He's flip flopping again! How about you President Bush?
Bush: Cocaine.
*Hushed audience*
Bush: Well, at least I know what I'm doing!

Loony BoB
12-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Al Gore!

Rocket Edge
12-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Hillary!

Madame Adequate
12-13-2006, 01:19 AM

QFT. Stewert/Colbert would be Godly and America would win the galaxy.

Shlup
12-13-2006, 01:26 AM
I have no doubt that everyone in this thread expressing support for Stewert/Colbert is as dead serious as I am. It would be a glorious time in American history.

Xaven
12-13-2006, 01:26 AM

Agreed.

Hambone
12-13-2006, 01:37 AM
If I were old enough, I'd vote straight ticket democratic.

escobert
12-13-2006, 01:38 AM
GO BLACK MAN RUNNING!

Mirage
12-13-2006, 01:39 AM
I fail to see why race, ethnicity or sex should have anything to do with a presidential election. A president should be elected because of his or her competence at running a country, and nothing else.

For example in the first post in this thread; "there's also a black man running". That tells me absolutely nothing, except his skin colour and sex, which are the least significant things i would take into consideration when voting. When I vote, I vote for a good politician, not a white guy, black guy, asian guy or whatever else.

Hambone
12-13-2006, 01:41 AM
I fail to see why race, ethnicity or sex should have anything to do with a presidential election. A president should be elected because of his or her competence at running a country, and nothing else.

Incase you haven't noticed yet, America is sexist and racist.

Mirage
12-13-2006, 01:48 AM

Incase you haven't noticed yet, America is sexist and racist.
Oh, sorry. I forgot. :]

No, actually, I know it isn't like what I said. However, I think that's how it should be, and it definitely is how I am.

ljkkjlcm9
12-13-2006, 01:48 AM
If Hillary Clinton runs, she won't win, people hate her for who she is, the fact that she would be the first woman would just hurt her even more. Condi Rice could run against her, and would win easy.

I think John McCain, at this point, is probably the best bet for president.

Anyone who thinks John Stewart or Stephen Colbert could actually run the country... I feel sorry for you.

THE JACKEL

Shoeberto
12-13-2006, 01:49 AM

Agreed.
I'd be serious about it if they hadn't publicly stated that they aren't going to do it.

Bloodline666
12-13-2006, 01:57 AM
I think Hillary Clinton's the strongest potential Democratic candidate, while John McCain's the strongest potential Republican candidate.

If both win the nomination for their respective parties, then the election will definitely spike the voter turnout.

Madame Adequate
12-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Anyone who thinks John Stewart or Stephen Colbert could actually run the country... I feel sorry for you.

Watch The Daily Show and tell me he couldn't do a better job than 90% of the yutzes in Washington.

ljkkjlcm9
12-13-2006, 02:38 AM

Watch The Daily Show and tell me he couldn't do a better job than 90% of the yutzes in Washington.

Ok, he couldn't do a better job than 90% of the people in washington.

THE JACKEL

The Captain
12-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Jon and Stephen would both say the same thing: leave the politics to the politicians, because if they became the very thing they lampoon, the world might explode. Plus, who'd be left to then make fun of them?

I was high on McCain for a while until he rolled over on the torture ban, which I still can't believe. HE ACTUALLY WAS TORTURED! And now he compromises on a bill essentially allowing it if President Bush says it's okay? Then, he sold his soul further by actually making a speech at Jerry Falwell's college, and most recently, he's openly saying we need more troops in Iraq. Sure, a lot of it is politic posturing, making nice with the Right-wing base, but he's lost so much independent credibility that I can't vote for him anymore.

Rudy won't ever get the nomination because he is pro-choice, for gay marriage and for gun-control and the Republican party runs on the exact opposite of all those issues. I think he'd be an okay candidate, but what a lot of people fail to remember is that before 9/11, he was a real thug to NYC. He got a lot done, but the cost was very high on a lot of people and I'm not sure that would work for the entire country.

If I had to vote Republican, I think my vote would go to Chuck Hagel, who has been one of the only Republicans against the war in Iraq, but he's not running to the best of my knowledge and has no clout in the base of the party for his stances.

Now, onto the Dems:

I would vote Obama in a heart-beat. He is one of the few politicians I'd actually want to be President, because he believes in unifying our country, not dividing it, and also shares many stances as myself, including being against the war from the start. He is also very intelligent and would go very far to restoring our global credibility because he could charm the pants off of foreign leaders. His biggest drawback is his lack of experience, which while it truly ISN'T a big problem, will be used against him. Also, he is riding on such a wave of goodwill, that we have yet to see how he does deal with negativity thrown his way. I sincerely hope he runs, but my gut says at best he'll be a Vice Presidential candidate.

It really does look like it'll be either Hilary or John Edwards. Kerry is done. A recent poll had him as the least popular major political figure in the country. Below Cheney!

Hilary looks like the heavy frontrunner, as she has the money and the name recognition. However, she's too much of a politician for me. She is constantly positioning herself instead of taking real stances on things, unless it's naughty video games. She has supported the Iraq war and still doesn't regret it. I will grant you, she is whip-smart and I think could make a very good President, but I do wonder, why must we always vote for what feels like politicians instead of real leaders?

Edwards is a bit of a darkhorse, as he shares Obama's charisma but has been out of the public eye a while. He's slowly coming back onto the scene, but I think the Hilary and Obama hype will wash him aside.

Still, there's a lot of time between now and 2008. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Take care all.

edczxcvbnm
12-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Kucinich for the win!

The Captain
12-13-2006, 06:23 AM
He'd certainly get the animal vote.

Take care all.

Breine
12-13-2006, 06:26 PM
I'd like to see Clinton go all the way.

Darth Anarcus
12-14-2006, 04:53 AM
I don't care about what sex the president is, but if Hilary is our first female president, I'm moving to Europe.

Er, assuming I can find enough money somehow.