PDA

View Full Version : What Determines the Amount of Usernotes You Have?

Evastio
12-13-2006, 03:36 AM
What determines the amount of usernotes you have?

I think the biggest factor is how much you post in others' usernotes.

Meat Puppet
12-13-2006, 03:37 AM
I think I will agree with Evastio on this one. It makes sense, after all.

theundeadhero
12-13-2006, 03:38 AM
That's exactly what it is. Most people won't go and post in your usernotes out of nowhere, but if you start it then they're much more likely to give a usernote back.

Avarice-ness
12-13-2006, 03:43 AM
Lunar leaves me notes like the loyal servant friend he is. The others just do it at Random, Christmas does it to me too, just not as often as Lunar. :razz:

Martyr
12-13-2006, 03:48 AM
Kinda like the Spice Girls said, "If you wanna be my lover, you have got to give. Taking is to easy, but that's the way it is."

If you look up the lyrics to the song, you can find a rather lot of User Notian Wisdom.
But aside from those lovely ladies:

GUTS!

Giving somebody a user note is like trying to ask them out on a date. You can stand around and watch them strut their stuff, jealous of all the other guys who get to post in their user notes, or you can bust a move!

Of course, the real test comes when you try to see if they like you enough to user note back. It's like them giving you a proverbial "Yes. I would love for you to take me to the movies!"

The more guts you got, the cooler you look. The cooler you look, the more people will want you. And the great thing about user notes is that you can have everybody.

User Notes is like swinging. With the Spice Girls. And if you can zigazig ah, then you'll have thousands in no time.

Edit: Secretly, I believe that qualty user notes give you a better chance of being liked in the User Note World. I can't always crank them out, but I know that I, in particular, would much rather see a quality note that reflects some deep thought or humorous undertone or secret underlying references. On another note, I would also be excited if somebody User Noted me a Period because I'm easily amused.

Bunny
12-13-2006, 03:49 AM
Christmas.

It all depends on Christmas. I am a shining example of this fact.

41-Inches-Wide
12-13-2006, 04:28 AM
I thought it was only used when Private Messaging is down.
Though the only thing I enjoy is the way how these usernote people are so deliciously random.

Araciel
12-13-2006, 04:33 AM
if i knew that i would probably have more

Mirage
12-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Popularity.

SammieBabe
12-13-2006, 05:05 AM
Post in others usernotes. Most people respond in kind, usually.

kikimm
12-13-2006, 05:10 AM
Yeah, what everyone else has said. Post a lot. Like, a lot. And not stupid :skull::skull::skull::skull: like ":hat:" or ":mog:". SAY SOMETHING. Especially things that show a bit of personality.

But eh, I'm just going by what makes me want to give other people usernotes. I like effort. But we all get lazy at times...>=D

EDIT: Actually, I love the :hat: smilie.

Araciel
12-13-2006, 05:12 AM
come on...the moogle IS my personality!
hehehe

Bahamut2000X
12-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Just remembering. I usually never give any out or check mine till I remember they even exisist. >.>

The Captain
12-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Generally, I give user notes when I have something I'd like to say about said user. I find it's usually the same for me.

Take care all.

Jojee
12-13-2006, 05:46 AM
I rarely give usernotes xD Even when people post in my usernotes. :3 Unless someone prods me to post in theirs, or holds a gun to my head and makes me. But I still <3 you guys.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-13-2006, 06:24 AM
What determines the amount of usernotes I have is how much others post in them, silly.

Yeah. True. But posting in other peoples does seem to bring mine up, occasionally.

Rantz
12-13-2006, 11:32 AM
What's with all this hype about the amount of user notes you have? It's not like a big amount of user notes makes you go "Yeah. :cool:". User notes are fun to get, but the amount of user notes is just an indicative number.

Anyway, on topic, most people'll give you a user note back when you leave them one. I give one back for pretty much everyone I get. Also, being visible in the forums and other people's user note, saying funny or interesting things, might get you some action.

Martyr
12-13-2006, 11:45 AM
What's with all this hype about the amount of user notes you have? It's not like a big amount of user notes makes you go "Yeah. :cool:". User notes are fun to get, but the amount of user notes is just an indicative number.

We're really excited about user notes because it means that other people are paying attention to us. Remember that somebody actually has to go through the effort of not only clicking our profile and looking at our prof pic, but also will usually read what we have to say about ourselves, and our other user notes.

So I put lots of effort into user note work for my own sake and for the sake of others who receive them.
Well, I put a tiny bit of extra effort. I can't claim to do "lots"

Remember that all us forum goers are here because we're socially starved in the real world. The smallest attention from anybody is a titillating thrill.

Christmas
12-13-2006, 12:05 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/announcement.php?f=2

Fatal Impurity
12-13-2006, 12:09 PM

We're really excited about user notes because it means that other people are paying attention to us. Remember that somebody actually has to go through the effort of not only clicking our profile and looking at our prof pic, but also will usually read what we have to say about ourselves, and our other user notes.

So I put lots of effort into user note work for my own sake and for the sake of others who receive them.
Well, I put a tiny bit of extra effort. I can't claim to do "lots"

Spoiler: Remember that all us forum goers are here because we're socially starved in the real world. The smallest attention from anybody is a titillating thrill.

Thats true....basically all the internet is an electonic high school for socially impaired geeks and well usernotes is apart of that....its just about how popular you are and who you know/talk to.....

On a side note i find it hilarious that martyr said titilating and SOMEHOW kept his face straight....kudos to the man!

Rantz
12-13-2006, 12:25 PM
We're really excited about user notes because it means that other people are paying attention to us.
If anything, that's what the individual user note does to me. The number means close to nothing to me, after all it's a number. To take that number as a measurement of popularity or attention is a bit one-dimensional, just look at Cid or BoB or, in fact, lots of veterans on the site who has a few hundred user notes if even that.

Remember that all us forum goers are here because we're socially starved in the real world. The smallest attention from anybody is a titillating thrill.
Generalising a bit aren't we? :)

The Jamie Star Scenario
12-13-2006, 12:37 PM
I think I would have more user notes if I wasn't banned from EoEO so much \o/

Rusty
12-13-2006, 12:40 PM
I think it's how much you give others usernotes. I forget to give people usernotes back, so my usernotes go up slowly xD

Martyr
12-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Generalising a bit aren't we? :)

Okay. I'm so socially deprived blah blah blah...

You're not supposed to argue spoilers!

And on the issue of actual numbers...
Numbers don't really matter much. I just like seeing them go up because it means that I get to read a fresh User Note.
However, I do like watching the number go up a little bit, and there does seem to be something to having a high user note count, so, because of that I try not to post in my own notes very often. (If you're all about the numbers, then spam your notes. That works like a charm, as i've seen.)

But, I mean, if you look at Meat Puppet, the numbers are hardly relevant. He takes a different route by having conversations through user notes (It's like PM but without the deleting!). It's only mindless spam when people like me wander in.

But the real thing about User Notes is that there's a personality involved. You'll often see a user note like, "Whoa. Do I belong here?" Because user notes are a reflection, however distanced, of the person behind the user notes. And that's what makes user noting fun. It's exciting to enter the private little world of another person, so to speak, this world of user notes, and become a participant in that person's life.

So, to relevate this back onto the topic, perhaps being an interesting person might lead more people to being curious about your world and then try to enter it through user notes.

Or am I full of it?

Old Manus
12-13-2006, 12:43 PM
I seem to get a steady flow of usernotes even though I hardly ever give them out :confused:

Christmas
12-13-2006, 12:44 PM
AND GUESS WHO'S BEEN POSTING. :confused:

Loony BoB
12-13-2006, 12:55 PM
It'll be something like this.

Registration Date + Demand + Postcount x Popularity ^ How often you post in other people's usernotes.

That is, new members often get usernotes the moment they join - sometimes before they even post. The demand is where someone suggests that everyone go and post in [username]'s usernotes - even if it's the same person (hi Cid!). Postcount is obvious enough - the more posts you make, the more likely people are to know who you are. Popularity obviously will increase the chances of someone wanting to post usernotes in your profile. Finally, the biggest factor, you put it to the power of how often you post in other people's usernotes, as that means you can rocket up the ranks.

Rydia of Mist
12-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Personally, I just think it's based on being Cid vs not Cid. You're making this too complicated, Danyul.

ljkkjlcm9
12-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I have few usernotes, but I post in few as well, it has nothing to do with overall posts, but more about where those posts are made. If you only make them in certain topics, you won't get as many usernotes, where as if you post everywhere, and most often in general chat, you'll get more

THE JACKEL

Timerk
12-13-2006, 03:22 PM
What determines the amount of usernotes you have?

Your worth as a person.

Denmark
12-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Spoiler: Remember that all us forum goers are here because we're socially starved in the real world. The smallest attention from anybody is a titillating thrill.
On a side note i find it hilarious that martyr said titilating and SOMEHOW kept his face straight....kudos to the man!

That's just you assuming that his face and his post are equally emotional. I could be rolling on the floor laughing (or "ROFL") while writing this post and YOU'D NEVER KNOW. unless you're spying on me. so before i think about that too much, back to the topic!

I think that massive amounts of usernotes involve as much of you posting in them as getting other people to post in them. Which means you need to do a lot of work. Are you up to the challenge?

White Raven
12-13-2006, 03:30 PM
The amount of Usernotes one has is inversely related to how social you are in the real world (you know, that place outside the internet where you eat, sleep and poop?) :p

Owen Macwere
12-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Post in other people's usernotes, someone might be kind enough and return it to you. =_=
But Masmas gives usernotes without waiting for them to be returned, i think she have an enough store of them. :bigsmile:

Rantz
12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
You're not supposed to argue spoilers!
Oh yes I am! :jess:

Rocket Edge
12-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah, what everyone else has said. Post a lot. Like, a lot. And not stupid :skull::skull::skull::skull: like ":hat:" or ":mog:". SAY SOMETHING. Especially things that show a bit of personality.

Christmas
12-14-2006, 09:47 AM
And not stupid :skull::skull::skull::skull: like ":hat:" or ":mog:". SAY SOMETHING. Especially things that show a bit of personality.

Hey, I always do this! :bigsmile:

Captain Maxx Power
12-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Pandering to the staff or veterans or people with lots of usernotes. Remember kids, sucking up to the higher ups is the best way to get ahead in life, no matter what 80's teen comedies may tell you. They are LIES!

Xander
12-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah, it's the amount you post back mainly but I can be bad at that sometimes, and I don't like posting in my own much :p The amount I get doesn't matter, but the amount of pandas mentioned/posted/linked to does :D

I say crap stuff back cos I can hardly think of interesting stuff. I would post more first to people but don't have much time to spend just posting loads of usernotes xD I like looking at old ones sometimes cos people say really nice stuff, so if I had too many that might be annoying!!

Peegee
12-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Believe it or not the amount of usernotes you have is proportionate to the amount of usernote posts that you and other people make.

escobert
12-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Christmas and kikimm are the only ones that post in my usernotes often. I post in random peoples. So yeah post in other and they will post in yours.

Darth Anarcus
12-14-2006, 03:06 PM
I suppose it depends upon how much you care about them. Personally, this is the first time I've ever seen them, so I'm not really used to them.

Quindiana Jones
12-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Links in your sig. It worked once.....but now it's failing.

Owen Macwere
12-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Links in your sig. It worked once.....but now it's failing.

yes, not working either. :eep:

Sergeant Hartman
12-14-2006, 04:48 PM
EDIT: Actually, I love the :hat: smilie.
LOL :hat:

Citizen Bleys
12-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I got lots of usernotes (not even counting the ones I deleted back when I could) and I almost never post any.

It's not a popularity thing, either, because I'm not well known here anymore.

Quindiana Jones
12-14-2006, 05:42 PM
I want a Bleys usernote now.

Jess
12-14-2006, 07:29 PM
I think the biggest factor is how much you post in others' usernotes.
Yes. :jess: