PDA

View Full Version : Prince of Persia

VengefulRonin
12-13-2006, 08:23 AM
I was wondering how many of you people have played any games in the Prince of Persia series and how many of you are fans of it, or think it's too damn frustrating to be any fun at all (and sometimes it gets close to that).

I just recently bought The Two Thrones and i'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'd played the first PoP but i skipped the second one cuz i heard it wasnt as good, but Two Thrones is fantastic though. Oh so much yummy acrobatic platforming, it's connected very well to the combat, and i love the stealth element the stealth kills (aptly named) bring.

Araciel
12-13-2006, 08:38 AM
i enjoyed sands of time for a while...about an hour...turns out i'm just not smart enough to bother with it :P

RiseToFall
12-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I own and finished all three of the PoP games, and I just love them. You should give Warrior Within a try, people were saying it's a bad game only because the direction of the game was much different than The Sand of Time, It's a much darker game. The Two Thrones is like a combination of the two first games, so if you enjoyed it, I don't think you'll hate Warrior Within. If you hate rock music though, (Godsmack in particular) than the music won't be to your liking.

escobert
12-13-2006, 10:12 AM
I played the old one that came out for make ages ago :p

Roto13
12-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Sands of Time (1st 3D one*) was probably the greatest game released that year. The environments were stunning, wall-running and the prince's general agility were a lot of fun. The biggest weakness was the battle system. It sucked. Bad. There was a sweet little love story between the prince and Farrah, which led to an equally sweet little ending. It was an exceptional game, overall.

Warrior Within (2nd 3D one) almost turned me away from the series in general. It was pure /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. Sure the battle system was "improved", but I still ended up using the same moves I used in Sands of Time. The environments were dull and the fact that you had to backtrack through them a hundred times didn't help. Basically, Sands of Time didn't sell that well, so they casualized it. They made the sand creatures bleed, made any female characters into total tramps (going so far as to throw cheesey sexual innuendo into the normal monster battles, and throwing a bad sex scene into the end), and added a pathetic metal soundtrack. The original soundtrack was beautiful. Stuart Chatwood from The Tea Party composed it. It was a mix of Arabian style and rock. The second one had frigging Godsmack in it. And the prince? He's been running from the Dahaka for years and years, no time to sleep, but he did manage to get a tattoo (the same tattoo the game's failure of an art director has) and lose his English accent. Also, glitches? Yeah, those. I had to restart on my VERY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH because I stepped on a time portal without activating it first and saved. When I loaded, I was a sand wraith, and couldn't progress further through the game.

The Two Thrones (3rd 3D one) was a huge improvement over both, really. It brought back the magic of the first game. The original characters (the Vizier, Farrah) returned, and Kaileena frigging died! Now THAT was satisfiying! They kept the combat system of the second game, the actual quality of the first game, and gave it a whole new feel. They got rid of the blood from the sand monsters and added a new playable character. The original plan was to have Kaileena as a playable character, but she was killed and replaced by the Dark Prince. The prince's alter-ego, he's an infection of the Sands of Time. He fights with a sexy chain. :D Also, stealth attacks were added for a change of pace. Probably the best game in the series, though the platforming aspects weren't as refreshing as they were in the first game (since they'd been done before).

There you go. The 3D PoP games. I have the trilogy, and overall, I'm pleased. Just don't expect much from Warrior Within.

*Ok, so Arabian Nights was technically the first 3D PoP game, but it sucked.

Yes, I copied/pasted my post from an old topic. What of it? :P

Shauna
12-13-2006, 04:38 PM
What Roto said.

Sefie1999AD
12-13-2006, 05:18 PM
I've played the original Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame. I thought they were pretty good, although they were also a bit too challenging. There's a few things you can't really know unless someone tells you about them or you use a walkthrough. I prefer PoP2 to PoP1 myself. There's a greater variety in the level design, the fighting system has been enhanced and the music is pretty good. Besides, succesfully landing on top of the magic horse after dozens of failed attempts is surely rewarding. :p

Breine
12-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Sands of Time was a really enjoyable game. I thoroughly enjoyed it... just the environments, the atmosphere, the revolutionizing agility of the Prince and so forth. Plus, the game was very amusing... The relationship between the Prince and Farrah (sp?) was interesting, and the dialogue between them was very well written and greatly performed. Great game!

Warrior Within put me off at first. I had expected an adventurous and amusing game like the first one, but instead it was this gothic game with absolutely no sense of humour! Well, the battle system was great, though, and the game also felt a lot bigger, more challenging and longer. After some time I was able to live with the fact that the atmosphere wasn't the same and enjoy the game for what it was - although I missed the interaction between the Prince (who had completely changed in the second game) and Farrah...

I haven't played the third game yet, but I hear that it's great. I've thought about buying it multiple times.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-13-2006, 07:01 PM
I own and finished all three of the PoP gamesRead (http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/princeofpersia/princeofpersia.htm).

RiseToFall
12-13-2006, 08:00 PM
I own and finished all three of the PoP gamesRead (http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/princeofpersia/princeofpersia.htm).

Sorry, should of said all 3 current gen games. I've knew about most of those.

Vivisteiner
12-13-2006, 10:21 PM
I played Sands of Time, and loved it. I then went on to buy The Warrior within, and I was very bored - I got turned off the PoP series. So I didnt buy 'The two thrones.'

Roto13
12-13-2006, 11:17 PM
I played Sands of Time, and loved it. I then went on to buy The Warrior within, and I was very bored - I got turned off the PoP series. So I didnt buy 'The two thrones.'

I was almost the same way. After Warrior Within I said I'd never play another 3D PoP game. Then I saw the early previews for TTT and thought it would be just as bad as WW. Then later I read that they had fixed it. It would be less stupid and violent. I bought it pretty much to complete my collection. I'm glad I did.

Ichimonji
12-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Wow, before reading this thread I had no idea that people disliked Warrior Within. Everybody I know loved it. This is the first time I hear talk about people hating that game. I would actually have to say that Warrior Within is my favourite in the series. I loved the variety of environments, the pace of the action/story and maturity. I found that the other two were very bland, as you're in the same setting for most of game.

Although I probably have this mindset because Warrior Within was the first one I played.

Roto13
12-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Maturity? Try the complete lack of maturity. "*moan* There's so much pleasure in pain..." How is that mature in any way?

VengefulRonin
12-13-2006, 11:38 PM
The reviews i've read of Warrior Within dont necessarily say its a bad game in itself, it's just it kind of disgraces the PoP name. It's like Roto said, they casualised and made it more accessible for other people who couldnt deal with the challenge presented in Sands of Time. And it has Godsmack in it. That's the biggest mistake ever, rock music doesnt belong in PoP, especially not a band as crappy as godsmack.

I'm loving the Two Thrones since it reminds me of the first one, only they expanded the acrobatics and the stealth kills are alot of fun. But i still hate the battle system if you're having to go head on. The prince is rather unbalanced compared to everyone else so i have to keep hopping over people and getting off one hit at a time just to stay alive, so battles take forever.

The only thing i dislike (and its a very big dislike) about this game is the dark prince. Now i love his character, i just HATE playing as him. Why? Because his health drains and i have to run through the areas quickly trying to stay alive, and i'm not given alot of time to observe my surroundings and plan out the best routes to take. I agree fully with what IGN said about it:

"After a brilliant section of platforming and a very cool interaction with one of the other characters in the game, suddenly we'll become the Dark Prince and have to seek out sands within random crates while chopping goblins. That's how it works, and it puts a serious hurt on the game's flow."

So true. And in one bit of dialogue between the Prince and the Dark Prince, the dark prince claims to be faster and stronger. I wouldnt mind playing as the dark prince if that was actually true, but it isnt. The chain is a lovely weapon, but because my health is constantly draining it leads to rushed battles with a tendancy to screw up, and i dont ever get the opportunity to utilize the chain to its full extent.

Other than that, though, the game is excellent.

Roto13
12-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Chariot racing. :jokey:

Nothing like watching a chariot explode... in reverse!

Vincent, Thunder God
12-14-2006, 02:00 AM
I was wondering how many of you people have played any games in the Prince of Persia series and how many of you are fans of it, or think it's too damn frustrating to be any fun at all (and sometimes it gets close to that).

I found the series far from frustrating, except in the second two games, with some of the tougher boss battles and difficult traps in the life upgrade passages.

I liked the first game's story the best, and even with the basic combat system it had, I still preferred the fairy tale style of it to the darker sections of WW, and some of the predictability of the third game.

So the first is my favourite, even though the next two were great as well.

I just recently bought The Two Thrones and i'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'd played the first PoP but i skipped the second one cuz i heard it wasnt as good, but Two Thrones is fantastic though. Oh so much yummy acrobatic platforming, it's connected very well to the combat, and i love the stealth element the stealth kills (aptly named) bring.

While the second game is the weakest in the trilogy, it really does make a lot of connections in the plot between the first and last games, and personally I found that it had the best combat system of all of them. It's quite similar to the third's battle system, but I found that the battles were set up in a way that made combos easier and much much funner. Though there aren't any of the awesome stealth kills, the free form fighting system's triumph in this game more than makes up for it.

The only major problem with the game if that the Prince is a much more callous and even evil character, but this can be interpreted as a precursor to the Dark Prince, even though the Dark Prince was likely conceived of later, in the development of the Two Thrones, to improve due to the criticisms over WW's new, darker character . There's a different voice actor, which ticked me off, but the story itself, though darker and more violent, is still quite good.

I think if you liked the other two WW is definetly worth buying.

Big D
12-14-2006, 04:34 AM
I own and have beaten (though many, many years ago) the original Prince of Persia on both the Master System and the Sega CD. While the CD version has spiffy live music and some new puzzles, I actually prefer the 8-bit game, with its more realistic colours and fantastically smooth animations.

Great games, fairly unique gameplay considering their genre.

Roto13
12-15-2006, 05:08 PM
This thread has inspired me to play TTT again. I never realized this, but with all of the praise I give the game, I hadn't played it since New Years Eve last year, a week after I got it. :P

VengefulRonin
12-15-2006, 11:48 PM
This thread has inspired me to play TTT again. I never realized this, but with all of the praise I give the game, I hadn't played it since New Years Eve last year, a week after I got it. :P

Shame on you! I think i'm about 80% done, or something like that. I bookmarked a lovely site that gives video walkthroughs on all the stages, which is immensely helpful for me on the stages where i have to rush through as the dark prince. Then i decided to look at the vids of Sands of Time for nostalgia purposes (and i was considering rebuying it)...and then i remembered how much i hated the combat in it, and how i had to protect that stupid girl through the fights, and how in almost every stage we'd be swarmed and i'd have to kill a ton of enemies before i could proceed.

*shudders*

Frankly i would be happy with no combat whatsoever since the acrobatics are so fun, but thank god they added stealth kills, since those are enjoyable and fighting is still a pain in the ass.

Roto13
12-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Well, it's not like I didn't finish it or anything. I beat it and didn't play it afterwards. (Until yesterday)